• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Saddam Hussein has been executed

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 biknut

• 1,892 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 03:59 AM

Dear Leader, are you paying attention? You're next.

#2 biknut

• Topic Starter
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 05:25 AM

In case you're wondering, Im talking about Kim Jong Il, not Bush.

#3 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 05:43 AM

Honestly, I thought this execution process would of taken months to get on the go. Nothing was more surprising than seeing this post. What happens now for Iraq? What shall the political outcome be? Does anyone even care?

I only ask such lofty questions because I'm watching a VHS copy of Andy Warhol's Frankenstein and I'm tired.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 biknut

• Topic Starter
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 05:56 AM

I only ask such lofty questions because I'm watching a VHS copy of Andy Warhol's Frankenstein and I'm tired.

I like Young Frankenstein better. :p

#5 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:34 PM

I'd sooner have Shelley's book.

#6 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:40 PM

this probably wasn't the best strategic move. I wonder what the backlash will be. If it costs one innocent life than it wasn't worth it.

#7 biknut

• Topic Starter
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:56 PM

I heard a guy talking on BBC last night, and he said in the arab world a leaded doesn't get any respect unless he kills someone. He said now the new Iraqi leaders might get a little more respect.

#8 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 08:59 PM

what was that about spamming hank?

#9 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:08 PM

this probably wasn't the best strategic move. I wonder what the backlash will be. If it costs one innocent life than it wasn't worth it.

Not so simple. You have to consider the price of not taking this action, relative to taking this action, and not just in the short term, but integrated into the future with respect to your own particular discounting function...

#10 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:23 PM

We had no right to invade Iraq in the first place. Bush is probably more deserving of execution than most. Not that I'm defending Saddam, he was a dirtbag but so is Bush, Blair, etc, etc. This is another example of the "might makes right" mentality. We had the might to overthrow him so now having our puppet kill him is seen as right also. It won't help anything at all. It gives them a martyr to worship. But keeping him alive leaves the possibility he might be freed someday.

If Saddam's crimes were ordering killings, then how many crimes is Bush guilty of? He ordered the invasion and all the deaths are on his head. He even lied to us about the reason for going in. When is his execution going to be? That's when I'll cheer.

#11 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:14 PM

But keeping him alive leaves the possibility he might be freed someday.

So because Bush is likely just as "evil" or whatever, that makes it okay for Saddam?

#12 biknut

• Topic Starter
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:00 AM

[quote] [quote]so now having our puppet kill him is seen as right [/quote]

They killed him because they wanted too, and deservedly so. Now they're doing the happy dance in the streets.

#13 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 December 2006 - 11:33 AM

Nothing but more of the same mass distraction...

but hey, is there video available?

Kidding, I'm just kidding... [lol]

#14 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:27 PM

Not so simple. You have to consider the price of not taking this action, relative to taking this action, and not just in the short term, but integrated into the future with respect to your own particular discounting function...

naturally.

#15 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:39 PM

There were many in the Arab world who still feared Saddam and the possiblity of his return. That seems ridiculous to us but we have the luxury of knowing what's going on through television, newspapers, etc.

People who lived under his regime maintained a very real fear that he was not truly gone, especially considering his defiance during the trial (much of which aired on Al-Jazeera). To the people living in Iraq the fear was that he would win the trial and become President again which bolstered the confidence of Baath loyalists and diminshed that of more moderate voices.

There is a finality that his execution brought to the whole situation which was necessary. Though obviously it remains to be seen what other ramifications this brings.

#16 samson

• 180 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:03 PM

I've been looking for the video of the execution, alas in vain. Other than that, don't care.
The only thing worth waging war in Iraq was the oil in the first place, so I don't understand why G.I. Joes are running around in Bagdad and getting blown to bits by evil clowns. I mean, it's pretty damn obvious now what Bush's motives for the invasion were, so why stick to the "liberation" bullshit? Saddams execution is doing fat shit to end the ongoing 'victory' of Iraq, nevermind the inpending civil-war.
For the record, he is the person I hate the most in this world, and that says a lot. I mean, it's not SO bad to be an evil dictator and murderer of thousands, but crap. He pretends to be a fucking messiah, and his Fox buddies force feed the shit to gullible idiots. AND he gets away with it.
Hate him. Fucking evil clowns... All scheming and plotting, all trying to make my life miserable.... I say, kill all clowns! [angry]

#17 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:34 PM

Samson, I'd urge you to say what you have to say in a less provocative way. :)

With that said, I respectfully disagree with your assertion that Bush only did it for the oil, etc. I don't mean to turn this into a debate about the reasons for or against going to war in Iraq. I believe the fact that we went was a good thing, but that it was VERY badly implemented. Had we been more focused on WINNING and REBUILDING and put more effort into a coaltion that better represents the globalized world rather than just the U.S. we would have had a favorbale outcome in Iraq.

Then we wouldn't be complaining about the reasons we went and would insteading be applauding Saddam's death as the birth of a new Arab democracy in a region that desperately needs one.

#18 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 January 2007 - 02:50 AM

I've been looking for the video of the execution, alas in vain.

Ah, I knew it would pop up. Afterall, it was inevitable that someone in the audience had a video recorder on their cell phone. [wis]

Saddam Execution Video

#19 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:23 AM

Live by the sword, die by the sword

Don't remember who said this. Somebody famous though.

#20 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:32 AM

Anyone want a saddam t shirt? theyre a bit tight around the neck but they hang well.
Glad he's out of the way, no sympathy for him.

#21 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:55 AM

Did a google search of "Live by the sword, die by the sword" and here's some of what I found:

http://www.123helpme...sets/17100.html

http://en.wikipedia....Sword#Symbolism

http://www.usingengl... the sword.html

#22 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:34 AM

I've been looking for the video of the execution, alas in vain.

Ah, I knew it would pop up. Afterall, it was inevitable that someone in the audience had a video recorder on their cell phone. [wis]

Video[/URL]

What immortalist would wish to see another human get executed?

#23 Matthias

• 851 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:02 AM

there are iwanttobeimmortalpeople and there are transhumanists

#24 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:21 PM

"Live by the sword, die by the sword"

Indeed.

Matthew 26:52

#25 AdamDavis

• 539 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:25 PM

there are iwanttobeimmortalpeople and there are transhumanists

Agreed. As a transhumanist and by my own morality in the first place I believe taking a life, from an irritating mosquito to a insane tyrant is always wrong, as is a light outlook on death to the point of cracking jokes about them.

:)

#26 Trias

• 270 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:49 PM

Biopunk:

"I believe taking a life, from an irritating mosquito to a insane tyrant is always wrong"

In that case I suggest you cease immediately from washing your hands, or brushing your teeth! -The poor fate of the bacteria! and what of the poor protists that dwell in the lovely kingdom in between your foot-fingers! -surely you'd like to spare them by refraining from taking a bath. Afterall, taking life - is always wrong (in paraphrase, no matter the circumstances).

And what of the paper (think of the poor trees!) you use to write your letters? -And the poor plants you have to kill for the sake of having your dinner.

FYI, just for being a Chemoheterotroph - like all other animals - you are a leech by your nature. You must feed yourself on the expanse of the poor-poor Autotrophs. Where else would you get your carbon?

When it comes to your opinions and thoughts, you seem to have a natural tendency toward the extreme. Why not accept the fact that our world is not partitioned in a strict black & white format? -For there are many shades of grey.

D S

#27 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:57 PM

"Live by the sword, die by the sword"

Indeed.

Matthew 26:52

It's kinda embarrassing I must admit. I always remembered the quote from when it was used by somebody famous in recent history when commenting on JFK's assassination. I think it was Country Joe McDonald and it his quote was reported in an issue of Reader's Digest in the memorable quotes section not too long ago.

#28 AdamDavis

• 539 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:50 PM

Biopunk:

"I believe taking a life, from an irritating mosquito to a insane tyrant is always wrong"

In that case I suggest you cease immediately from washing your hands, or brushing your teeth! -The poor fate of the bacteria! and what of the poor protists that dwell in the lovely kingdom in between your foot-fingers! -surely you'd like to spare them by refraining from taking a bath. Afterall, taking life - is always wrong (in paraphrase, no matter the circumstances).

And what of the paper (think of the poor trees!) you use to write your letters? -And the poor plants you have to kill for the sake of having your dinner.

FYI, just for being a  Chemoheterotroph - like all other animals - you are a leech by your nature. You must feed yourself on the expanse of the poor-poor Autotrophs. Where else would you get your carbon?

When it comes to your opinions and thoughts, you seem to have a natural tendency toward the extreme. Why not accept the fact that our world is not partitioned in a strict black & white format? -For there are many shades of grey.

D S

Thank you, Daniel; but I have thought about all of that before. Being a transhumanist, I'm hoping to transcend that and live a harmless existence. Hopefully we will no longer be chemoheterotrophs in our post-human existences...if we reach post-humanity and all goes well.

#29 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:14 PM

I thought the execution was awful... Can't believe that humans still do these things to each other. I don't care what crime anyone commited, no one deserves to die like that. They should have just locked him away until his death.

I don't support the death penalty at all.

#30 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:35 PM

As much as I joke about it, I don't support the death penalty either.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users