Photo
- - - - -

FLU!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:38 AM

I'm super sick. Been a couple days, and getting fed up. No telling me to go to the doctor, because I know this will pass - it's just incredibly uncomfortable and painful. I'm vomiting quite a bit and can't keep food and/or supplements down very long. Any ideas on what I can do to speed up this business?

#2 porthose

• 107 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:00 AM

all the best. i got the bloody flu the other day and now mega dosing on vit c every 3 hrs, roughly 5000mg/3hrs.

i noticed a slight irritation in the throat several days ago but had been ignoring it. so i suppose it serves me right and now a full blown flu. what a bugger!

i found this link yesterday http://www.knowledge.....Vaccines, Flu

#3 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:06 AM

lots of liquids.. you might want to try a product called Cold FX which was patented here in Alberta.. It's a ginseng based product which has been shown quite clearly to boost the immune system.. but it's more effective in the earlier stages.. ie. itchy throat stage. than in the full-bloated roar..

KP

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 mitkat

• Topic Starter
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:19 PM

in reviewing my latenight post, I just wanted to clarify...lol...the "help me, help me" is to be said in the same tone as "help me, help YOU"...haha, oh man. Thanks for the responses so far. I've heard lots of good things about Cold FX, but I might be in too deep already.Vitamin C...check.

#5 REGIMEN

• 570 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 02:35 PM

I went in a couple of years ago to the doctor for what I thought was flu and a quick blood test later I was told I had mono. I started taking Coldeaze, which is some kind of zinc lozenge I took every hour with as much water as I could put down, and within two days the nasty raw throat and other symptoms were more or less nil. That and sleep. Strange how I killed mono with an over the counter lozenge in two days though... hmm...

#6 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,095 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:02 PM

I have tried zinc, vit-C, and echenacia in the past. Do they work? Maybe. Even if it was just the placebo effect, they seemed to help a little.

When I have had a real bad flu (about 3 times in my life), it seems nothing worked except time.....usually 7 or 8 days worth of illness.

#7 biknut

• 1,892 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:24 PM

mitkat, sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Once I get the flu not much seems to help, but I always try to drink a lot of orange juice, and rest a lot. Zinc is probably a good idea. I have to feel like I'm dying before I'll take most of the otc remedies but some of my friends like Nyquil pm. It's like liquid crack. When It gets to the point that I can't breath, as a last resort I use nasal spray. It works real fast, but it only lasts a couple hours.

Get well soon.

#8 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:05 PM

I don't know if this will make you feel better or not but I almost never get colds or flu. The last cold was 6 or 7 years ago and was because of stress I was under. I just always took C and other vites and tried to eat right. I don't recall the last time I had flu, it must have been when I was a kid. Feel better now? No? then drink lots of liquids, take C and wait it out.

#9 mitkat

• Topic Starter
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:16 PM

I don't know if this will make you feel better or not but I almost never get colds or flu. The last cold was 6 or 7 years ago and was because of stress I was under. I just always took C and other vites and tried to eat right. I don't recall the last time I had flu, it must have been when I was a kid. Feel better now? No? then drink lots of liquids, take C and wait it out.

Hey, hearing that you never get sick made me lots better. When I was 6 I can remember how poorly developed my supplement stack was. Can you believe I took ALA and not R-ALA when I was 7? God, I was stupid back then.

edit: injected even more sarcasm.

Edited by mitkat, 04 January 2007 - 06:29 PM.

#10 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:35 PM

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better, mitkat. I knew my pep talk would do the job. Just keep those spirits up and you will be fine in no time.

#11 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:21 PM

I just got sick for the first time in at least 2-3 years. I'm not sure what's wrong yet, but I have a low fever (99.8 - 100deg), ache terribly all over my body, and feel dizzy and weak. Possibly flu, but I have no congestion or coughing (at least not yet). I think my regimen kept me well for a very long time, but you can only be exposed to a sick girlfriend so many times before you catch something. She works in dentistry and is leaning over sick, coughing, sneezing patients all the time.

#12 mitkat

• Topic Starter
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:31 PM

I just got sick for the first time in at least 2-3 years.  I'm not sure what's wrong yet, but I have a low fever (99.8 - 100deg), ache terribly all over my body, and feel dizzy and weak.  Possibly flu, but I have no congestion or coughing (at least not yet).  I think my regimen kept me well for a very long time, but you can only be exposed to a sick girlfriend so many times before you catch something.  She works in dentistry and is leaning over sick, coughing, sneezing patients all the time.

*Hugs you in socially acceptable manner*

*Avoids throwing up on teh Funk*

#13 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:35 PM

but you can only be exposed to a sick girlfriend so many times before you catch something.

Do I even have to say it?

#14 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:39 PM

but you can only be exposed to a sick girlfriend so many times before you catch something.

Do I even have to say it?

No, we're thinking it already

#15 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 06:04 PM

Haha.. I guess I asked for that one. My temperature peaked at 100.9 yesterday, but I kept eating well, drinking tons of tea and water, took about 12-15g of Vitamin C throughout the day, and a single dose of aspirin in the middle of the night when the aching was unbearable and preventing me from sleep. When I woke up, the fever was completely gone and I've been feeling great all day. [thumb]

FLU = PWNED < 36 hours

#16 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 06:32 PM

When I started "megadosing" resveratrol (200+mg) I got some mild flu symptoms, - coherence or not [glasses] I knocked it out overnight with bigtime vitamin C 6G and zinc 80mg during the evening.

#17 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 06:40 PM

Oi Mitkat I heard you had a bad cold/flu a few months back. How's your schedule matey? Perhaps your pushing yourself to hard. Could be time to get some blood work done?

Get a bunch of DVD's and rest up you hippie

#18 mitkat

• Topic Starter
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:26 PM

Yeah, I was sick...last time I came home from school on a break, actually! I feel pretty much better now, thanks. I need to get bloodwork done badly, gotta make some time for that. My schedule is not good for me...school and work, my only free time is spent on imminst :) (not really, but almost true)

DVDs watched during sicktime:

Dead Leaves
Save The Green Planet
The Omega Man
Along with multiple Adult Swim cartoons. So, it wasn't all bad!

Congrats Funk [thumb]

#19 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:40 PM

My schedule is not good for me...school and work,

That explains a lot to me. Over worked.

Have you seen The Inconienient Truth yet Mitkat?

#20 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:42 PM

by the way, any personal reviews on the above DVD's you mentioned.

How were they?

#21 mitkat

• Topic Starter
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:44 PM

Yeah, I actually saw it in theatres in Toronto..it was a fairly limited release, which surprised me a little. I also watched it again over the holidays with, including Gore's snorefest of extra interview features. I love the guy, but when it's late at night, your gf is pulling on your hair (not in that way, dread maintenance, people)....zzzzzzz

#22 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:47 PM

Ginger tea really does work for helping prevent vomiting.

In October I had somtach virus and by using green / ginger tea I managed to still consume my 3 meals a day (although it sort of came out like it just been in a blender or something!). Everyone else in my house was puking and couldnt keep anything down.

#23 mitkat

• Topic Starter
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:53 PM

Ginger tea really does work for helping prevent vomiting.

In October I had somtach virus and by using green / ginger tea I managed to still consume my 3 meals a day (although it sort of came out like it just been in a blender or something!). Everyone else in my house was puking and couldnt keep anything down.

I was actually thinking about this Matt. Being at my parent's house, my mum was all fussy since I was sick, and would bring me ginger ale to drink. All my life, whenever I've been sick I've drank "flat" Canada Dry ginger ale. That couldn't be nearly as good as far as actual gingerol content goes compared to tea. That's something my kids'll be drinking.

#24 mitkat

• Topic Starter
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:18 PM

Mitkat's Late-Nite Sick Movie Review

Dead Leaves - An attractively drawn anime with nice, dark and sharp lines. The plot was pretty good, full of over-the-top stylized violence, a huge cast of wacky and original characters (including one who had a giant steel auger instead of a...well, rent it), and a well done english voice recording. Something about the animation really appealed to me, it has a certain 80's euro look to it, although distinctly asian. An movie with a character that has a TV for a head is ace, in my books.

http://www.dead-leaves.com/extras.html

Save The Green Planet - I liked this movie, although I couldn't decide if it was a comedy, sci-fi, or very light snuff movie. I have a bad pirate copy from a Korean source, so the subtitles probably weren't spot on. Oh well. Good fun. Haha, after finding a trailer online, I see they agree with me.

http://www.apple.com...een_planet.html

Omega Man - Charlton Heston is an asshole in this movie (suprise!), but at least he's a cool doctor who found a cure to fatal disesase plaguing humanity :) It's not death he's really fighting though, although the movie is a bit like Imminst in some ways. The protagonist fights luddites who blame all their woes (and inability to go out at night, reduced lifespans) on technology - and see Heston as the last bastion of decadance. Sucks to be him as he rides his sweet stolen cars around LA, and when he's not fighting he's lonley as hell. I love zombie movies, and this kind of is in a way...I saw it first years ago after reading the book it was written after, Richard Matheson's "I Am Legend"

trailers on the internet are awesome! i say i have no time, and then i make a post like this.

#25 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:51 PM

Yeah the animation in Dead Leaves looks like it may be done by the guy who animated Ninja Scroll and World Record (Animatrix). He has a very distinctive style. There is something about the way the eyes are drawn though in this that's very nickelodeon.

I love zombie movies

Then I guess you'll love this T-shirt subway parody

Posted Image

#26 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:55 PM

ROFL eat flesh

#27 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:03 PM

Did anyone see Borat? I meant to but missed it. It had a very limited release probably because it was not PC.

#28 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:27 PM

Dont even get me started on PC.
The UK are so infected with this rediculous notion that they can't even see straight. PC infuriates me.

Although back on topic, no, haven't seen Borat. All my friends were talking about it though, wish I had seen it.

#29 biknut

• 1,892 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 06:55 AM

Damn you mitkat, I caught your cold. A bunch of people in my school are sick. So much for that stinking flu shot I got a month ago.

[huh]

• Lurker

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:25 AM

I find that sleep is the best thing for me when I'm sick. Also, if you have any family members in the household - especially brothers or sisters - really loud moaning on your part will make you feel better by making everybody else feel miserable. Works like a charm for me anyway! ;-)

I seem to get a cold once a year - when I go home for Christmas. I think it is some combination of air travel, lots of young kids running around, too little sleep and lots of yummy (but not very healthy) food.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users