• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

I don't think humanity will exist forever

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AgentNyder

• 166 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 05:45 AM

True immortality can not be possible because if all knowledge in the universe is obtained and every experience and desire has been fulfilled then there is no longer any point in existing because a life of eternal pleasure would become meaningless.

I only think that we could evolve to a certain point - I don't think that evolution is infinite because after becoming beings of pure intelligence there is basically no where left to go and so gradually the forces of the universe will recycle us to make way for other forms of life who are in their relative infancy.

So I think ultimately, the cycle of the universe will end us so true immortality cannot exist.

[":)]

#2 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2003 - 06:10 AM

True immortality can not be possible because if all knowledge in the universe is obtained and every experience and desire has been fulfilled then there is no longer any point in existing because a life of eternal pleasure would become meaningless.

The universe is infinite. Therefore, there is infinite experience. But this is all semantics, isn't it? If we did reach the point where we are on the threshold of knowing and experiencing "everything", by that point we would be - for all practical purposes, immortal. We would have the choice between mortality and immortality. Some may get bored and decide they have had enough. You never know. That is why most people here call themselves immortalists and not immortals. It would be intellectually dishonest to claim specific knowledge of future events. These kind of end game scenarios are latent with speculations. There is no way to prove this one way or the other. Why not try to live forever and put you hypothesis to the test. ;)

I only think that we could evolve to a certain point - I don't think that evolution is infinite because after becoming beings of pure intelligence there is basically no where left to go

I am agnostic on the point of how far our evolution will take us. There is no way of knowing. So far, certainly, there has been a steady progression which has shown no signs of slowing down. But hey, what's a few billion years of consistent trends anyway? As far as there being no where left to go (no higher plateau)once we are beings "of pure intelligence", how do you know this? Maybe from there we would evolve into multiple consciousnesses, or connected consciousness? All of this is way beyond our event horizon.

Even if you doubt immortality, isn't it a worthy goal? Wouldn't you at least like to extend your life by a few hundred years to further ponder the meaning of it all?

and so gradually the forces of the universe will recycle us to make way for other forms of life who are in their relative infancy.

So I think ultimately, the cycle of the universe will end us so true immortality cannot exist.

Well, if this does happen to be the case, I would rather die on my billionth birthday understanding my own mortality than to die tomorrow without any of the answers to my questions.

Welcome
Kissinger :)

Edited by Kissinger, 11 July 2003 - 06:12 AM.

#3 tbeal

• 105 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 06:01 PM

the uncertainty principle should have taught us that it is in fact impossible to know 'everything'

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 AgentNyder

• Topic Starter
  • 166 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 03:00 PM

Actually I've changed my mind about this. I more agree with tbeal now ;)

And kissinger brings up some great points :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users