Photo
- - - - -

Synthetic vs. Natural Vitamins

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jdog

• 227 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:35 PM

I've heard a lot of people say that natural vitamin sources are more effective than synthetic. I've also read that synthetic vitamins can also be detrimental to your health. Matter of fact, it seems there is a LOT of contradicting information regarding the optimal source of vitamins.

I suppose a natural source sounds better than a synthetic, but if synthetic vitamins can be created that are molecular identical to those found naturally, does it even matter?

Also, if natural vitamins are superior to synthetic, how can you tell by looking on the back of the supplement bottles?

Edited by jdog, 13 January 2007 - 10:07 PM.

#2 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:21 PM

I choose natural in the form of chlorella, spirilina, wheat&barely grasses, sea vegetable powder, maca etc. Take them from whole foods is the eaisest way to tell a natural source, then an 'all in 1' multi vitamin & mineral.

Some synthetic ones can do the job I believe or can evenwork better (such as the synthetic form of vitamin B1, Benfotiamine).

I have read the the sythetic forms of vitamins like A, C and E have the same molecular structure but are in 'mirror images' of the natural form. And that these synthetic forms actually are detremental to your health as opposed to natural sources.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 superpooper

• 190 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:04 PM

The D form of vitamin E is the natural form. The L form is the toxic mirror image. Longs still sells the stuff that is a 50/50 mixture of both D/L.

If you ever see "natural vitamin E" It's usually the D form mixed with tocopherols that increase the absorption of vitamin e.

#4 stephenszpak

• 448 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:05 AM

I choose natural in the form of chlorella, spirilina, wheat&barely grasses, sea vegetable powder, maca etc. Take them from whole foods is the eaisest way to tell a natural source, then an 'all in 1' multi vitamin & mineral.

Some synthetic ones can do the job I believe or can evenwork better (such as the synthetic form of vitamin B1, Benfotiamine).

I have read the the sythetic forms of vitamins like A, C and E have the same molecular structure but are in 'mirror images' of the natural form. And that these synthetic forms actually are detremental to your health as opposed to natural sources.

If we are talking about pure vitamin C, the info I have is that natural or synthetic
is exactly the same. The molecule is exactly the same for both (at least in the 20+ year-old
book I have).

I have been wondering about vitamins in liquid form. I just bought a small bottle.
I wonder if liquid vitamins have better absorption(?).

-Stephen

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:43 AM

I have been wondering about vitamins in liquid form. I just bought a small bottle.
I wonder if liquid vitamins have better absorption(?).

I doubt it. Caps and tablets dissolve pretty quickly in the stomach, unless they are a time release formulation. Since a lot of vitamins have a short half life in vivo, it may be better to slow down the absorption rather than dumping it all at once. Also, liquid formulations tend to degrade more quickly than solids, so the shelf life would not be as good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users