More Modafinil

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 garcia2002

• 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:47 PM

Female 140-5 lbs
75 mg to 125 mg

I like using this to get me through a long day.

What I've noticed

Pros: Good concentration, improved reading comprehension, mental endurance and the obvious lack of sleepiness.

Cons: I'm prone to anxiety and it certainly doesn't help, can't drink my beloved coffee on it, does not improve mental recall.

Does not improve mental recall and sometimes hinders it. I sometimes find myself fumbling for common words or using the wrong word. I often get words that refuse to leave "the tip of my tongue" This is a big con for me, and hugely frustrating. My work environment requires the ability to rapidly communicate complex concepts and extensive details. At times this is already a challenge for me. I don't need modafinil to slow me down.

Anyone have this side effect? Any thoughts?

#2 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:55 PM

Yes, I experienced very similar effects, with the exception of anxiety (I am not anxiety-prone). I enjoyed improved concentration and alertness, especially in the late afternoon and nighttime. However, my verbal fluency and word recall took a big, noticeable hit. My girlfriend would get impatient while I was talking and either finish my sentence or urge me to "spit it out", while I struggled to access my vocabulary.

This occurred during a two-month period of use at 200mg daily. I am not sure when I first noticed that side effect, but it was not immediate.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 kottke

• 246 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:31 PM

I also get similar effects. I am very anxiety-prone and cannot drink coffee while on the drug. Concentration, musical ideas, learning, and memory are all greatly enhanced for me. I dont really get the bad word recall effects and actually get an opposite effect of enhanced word recall. I noticed these effects at dosages ranging from 100-400mgs a day. The higher i went the worse my anxiety was obviously so be careful with that. Try relaxing techniques and meditation. Hope this helps

#4 magrus

• 44 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:21 AM

I tried 100mg in the morning for two months and this is what I've noticed:

Lots of "brilliant ideas" flash in succession and disappear before I can express them. It's as if I'm standing there bedazzled by the mental fireworks, watching them melt into the distance before I can form a sentence. Eh-eh-eh.... became the first word of every phrase... and probably the last. So much for verbal abilities. My vocabulary has shrunk considerably, I hope it's not permanent.

Also that wired and tired feeling, though I did get a lot of stuff done on 4 hours of sleep. I'm just wondering if any of it is good. I kept a diary during these two months so eventually I will read it to find out whether I was just repeating myself over and over again.

And lastly, a rapid shift from a vague sense of anxiety to very pronounced aggression on top of the inability to express myself. Hm...

#5 cmorera

• 168 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:16 AM

i still don't see why we don't just make a dedicated modafinil forum section already =]

i take that stuff from now to then ... I can't say if its good or not ... I do get a lot of stuff done on it ... but im not sure if it is positive in the long run or is only a short term bandage for other problems that we may have.

#6 emerson

• 332 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:42 PM

I had the "on the tip of my tongue" problem as well for a while. I had heard a report about the possibility though, and am not quite prepared to clear it from a possible placebo effect. Especially since as a child I had a slight stutter, and learned to put a bit more concentration into my speech than would otherwise be needed. As a result, I'm always a bit more alert to anything out of the ordinary with my speech. Which would also mean being more likely to read something wrong into it by continual nitpicking if given a red herring. As a side note, I did only notice it with the one language I'm fluent with, English. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary with the languages that are normally a struggle for me at the best of times.

Edited by emerson, 17 January 2007 - 11:37 PM.

#7 meatwad

• 196 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:09 PM

Uh oh guys, with all these negative reports look for the FDA to emergency schedule this substance!
(partially sarcastic)

Ok, if everyone is reporting the same symptoms I would suggest lowering the dose. I have never tried this myself but if you can titrate to find the best dose that still gives positive effects without so much of the negatives.

just my .02 cents.

#8 jackinbox

• 452 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:54 PM

Where do you buy your modafinil? What do you think about indian suppliers?

#9 emerson

• 332 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:39 PM

Ok, if everyone is reporting the same symptoms I would suggest lowering the dose. I have never tried this myself but if you can titrate to find the best dose that still gives positive effects without so much of the negatives.

If it actually is a real side effect, something I'm still not totally sold on, I suspect there's also a good chance it might have more to do with lack of sleep than the modafinil itself. Rather something that the modafinil isn't able to carry the weight for, rather than a specific factor it's causing to come into play.

#10 magrus

• 44 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:00 AM

[quote]Where do you buy your modafinil? What do you think about indian suppliers?[/quote]

I bought it from Airsealed Marketing.

[quote name='jOk' date=' if everyone is reporting the same symptoms I would suggest lowering the dose. I have never tried this myself but if you can titrate to find the best dose that still gives positive effects without so much of the negatives.[quote']

I'm just describing my experience (trying too:), I'm sure it works well for some people. And it has served its purpose for me as well but I prefer feeling less frantic and more eloquent. It all depends on individual brain chemistry.

#11 Animal

• 689 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:05 PM

I take large doses of Modafinil, occasionaly up to 1200mgs/day and regularly combine it with caffeine, but suffer no anxiety for it. Though like Funk, anxiety is something I have an extreme resistance to, primarily because of my personality. But I wanted to add this to clarify that anxiety is not a constitutive effect of Modafinil, though obviously it stimulates adrenergic receptors and therefore anxiety is a common side effect in the susceptible.

I very rarely suffer mild aphasia like you describe, but thought it was due to my Buproprion use rather then the Modafinil. I may have to re-evaluate that assumption.

Edited by Animal, 07 October 2010 - 06:06 PM.

#12 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:22 PM

I take large doses of Modafinil, occasionaly up to 1200mgs/day and regularly combine it with caffeine, but suffer no anxiety for it. Though like Funk, anxiety is something I have an extreme resistance to, primarily because of my personality. But I wanted to add this to clarify that anxiety is not a constitutive effect of Modafinil, though obviously it stimulates adrenergic receptors and therefore anxiety is a common side effect in the susceptible.

I very rarely suffer mild aphasia like you describe, but thought it was due to my Buproprion use rather then the Modafinil. I may have to re-evaluate that assumption.

Have you tried this in conjunction with deprenyl? I'm just asking since although they aren't contradicted on paper there was someone complaining about chest pains on the combination earlier. I've ordered some adrafinil and I'd like to know if I have to quit my low dose of ~1-2 mg deprenyl before I try it.

#13 soulfiremage

• 104 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:49 PM

Is that dosage accurate Animal? In addition, where do you get that from?

It seems an incredibly high dosage-perhaps something else you use competes with or neutralises it?

I'm currently using about 5th-6th of a measuring cup (1gram cup)-approx 200mg per work day.

One observation I would make is, make sure you have a totally normal sleep cycle. I use melatonin for this. This is regarding verbal ability and fluency. I have a little trouble towards the end of a day, such as now, remembering specific names or technical words that I don't use so often. The main part of the day, there is no problem. Yesterday, however, I'd had 4 hrs sleep, poor quality-due to a very late meal and drink on the prior evening. My performance was nowhere near as good.

Bottom line is Modifinal works great-if it supplements an already healthy, solid lifestyle. At least that is the experience I have.

Note, I use galantamine, piracetam, vitamins and occasionally subultamine.

#14 LIB

• 232 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:05 PM

Like others have said, try a lower dose.

I thought there was a post by someone who said they had better results at 25mg, or even less, compared to a dose of 50mg.

I also don't usually suffer from anxiety so modafinil doesn't provoke anxiousness in me.

#15 Animal

• 689 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:12 AM

Have you tried this in conjunction with deprenyl? I'm just asking since although they aren't contradicted on paper there was someone complaining about chest pains on the combination earlier. I've ordered some adrafinil and I'd like to know if I have to quit my low dose of ~1-2 mg deprenyl before I try it.

Yes this is in combination with deprenyl, which actually has a synergistic effect, certainly the modafinil is potentiated. That individual complaining of chest pains is obviously a tit who let the anxiety get to him, acute chest pains rarely involve the heart; but are typically related to strained intercostal or pericardial tissue due to diaphragm respirational tension. It's easy for a hypochondriac to assume that "ZOMG HEART ATTAX!" when they get any kind of chest pain. I've even been guilty of it myself in the past... :blush:

#16 p4oloz

• 14 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:37 AM

with you have bad simptoms, try to lower the dose...

also... the best place and price! with shipment, across the globe:
there are two products from 2 different countries and with a differend price but have the same effect:
1 Modalert (Modafinil) (India) http://www.rxshop.md...dalert/afid/351

2 Modapro (Provigil) (Germany) http://www.rxshop.md...online/afid/351

they deliver also to europe?

#17 Ehren

• 4 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:52 AM

with you have bad simptoms, try to lower the dose...

also... the best place and price! with shipment, across the globe:
there are two products from 2 different countries and with a differend price but have the same effect:
1 Modalert (Modafinil) (India) http://www.rxshop.md...dalert/afid/351

2 Modapro (Provigil) (Germany) http://www.rxshop.md...online/afid/351

they deliver also to europe?

I'd love to know too!
I assume that the second version, Modapro (from Germany), ships to Europe? Let's hope! I've heard this is a better version.
I'm having a hard time finding what I need here!
I mean, I can find it, but it if doesn't ship from within the EU, it's gonna get yanked at customs.

#18 alexd

• 106 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:27 PM

For those wo suffer from anxiety would like to suggest that you try the supplement theanine. It is thewhat makes tea a calming beverage despite it containing caffeine. Cheap and affective.

#19 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:33 PM

For those wo suffer from anxiety would like to suggest that you try the supplement theanine. It is thewhat makes tea a calming beverage despite it containing caffeine. Cheap and affective.

Sounds reasonable. Have you tried theanine in conjunction with modafinil yourself? If so: how did it change the experience?

Edited by aLurker, 12 October 2010 - 02:33 PM.

#20 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:44 PM

Here is an interesting article from 2007 regarding the research on modafinil, click the headline and give it a read.

Mechanisms of modafinil: A review of current research
The novel wake-promoting agent modafinil has been in use for the treatment of several sleep disorders for a few years and is now undergoing clinical trials for its use in the treatment of stimulant addiction, but its primary mechanism of action remains elusive. Previous laboratory studies have shown that modafinil has antioxidative and neuroprotective effects, which have not previously been suggested to be related to its wake-promoting effects. However, recent research indicates that free radicals may be related to sleep induction as well as cellular damage, suggesting that a common target of action may mediate modafinil’s ability to oppose both of these effects. In this review we summarize and discuss previously published research on modafinil’s neural, cytoprotective, and cognitive effects, and we propose possible primary biochemical targets that could underlie the effects of modafinil observed in these studies. We also suggest neurocognitive mechanisms responsible for modafinil’s cognitive enhancing effects and its therapeutic potential in the treatment of stimulant addiction.

#21 Neuronic

• 121 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:38 PM

If it actually is a real side effect, something I'm still not totally sold on, I suspect there's also a good chance it might have more to do with lack of sleep than the modafinil itself. Rather something that the modafinil isn't able to carry the weight for, rather than a specific factor it's causing to come into play.

I agree with you, the first 7 months I found my long term memory was much worse. After catching up on sleep during a few weeks of vacation my memory was restored! lol
That was with an average of 5-6 hours of sleep per night. I could only do it because of modafinil, but you will still feel effects of sleep deprivation even if you feel awake.
I have always had aphasia problems and I am positive it has to do with narcolepsy. The sleepier I am the worse my memory.

#22 someidiot

• 43 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:10 AM

it is hypothesized that rapid eye movement sleep is needed for memory consolidation

#23 Neuronic

• 121 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:20 PM

Yes this is in combination with deprenyl, which actually has a synergistic effect, certainly the modafinil is potentiated. That individual complaining of chest pains is obviously a tit who let the anxiety get to him, acute chest pains rarely involve the heart; but are typically related to strained intercostal or pericardial tissue due to diaphragm respirational tension. It's easy for a hypochondriac to assume that "ZOMG HEART ATTAX!" when they get any kind of chest pain. I've even been guilty of it myself in the past... :blush:

Think that is referring to my comment a few weeks back. I wasn't saying it was the combination with modafinil, but deprenyl itself that was causing chest pain. I took 5mg with 200mg modafinil and woke up with mild chest pain. It wasn't anxiety nor did I believe it was heart related, my pulse was around 80.
I have had similar chest pain before and do agree it is probably respiratory tension.

#24 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:31 PM

Ok cool, I'll pop a low dose of Adrafinil tomorrow morning along with my daily 1 mg deprenyl then.

#25 Guest_STfan_*

• Lurker

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:04 PM

I have suffered from mental illness all my life. I am not young! Over the course of 40 years, I have been given medication upon medication to stop the depression and motivate me to do things. Before I took Modafinil, I was never functional for more than 6 months at a time and I was still depressed. I would spend my days in bed, constantly crying and not being able to do anything for myself. If it weren't for family, I would have been institutionalized. For the past three years, I have take Modafinil. I started at 400 mgs. per day and now am up to the large dosage of 1,200 mgs. over the course of the day. I am now functioning, do everything myself. I even live alone.

This is where they may be a problem. I had blood work recently and have very high liver enzymes (486! when they should be no higher than 40), however my Doctor took me off my cholesterol medicatioin, Simvastatin, which is definitely found to raise liver enzymes. I don't want to go off the Modafinil since I will be back to the extreme depression and having no motivation. I would rather suffer, then die than to go back to the way I was.

I don't know if they send medication to Europe, but I purchase it from http://Edandmore.com/ at approximately $195 U.S. Dollars for 200 pills of 200 mgs.

Comments? Questions?

#26 Baten

• 785 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

STfan, I guess that's the problem with modafinil. For some people it's a total wonder drug, but tolerance and therefore the dosage keeps going up and up.. until you can't take any more.
I personally recommend deprenyl/selegiline to stay motivated and away from depression, but I'm no doctor. You should talk about this issue with an experienced practitioner.

#27 Guest_STfan_*

• Lurker

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

Baten, My Doctor prescribed it, even though I don't need a prescription to purchase it overseas. If it turns out that my liver enzymes are high because of the Modafinil, I will ask him about deprenyl/selegiline. Thanks so much for the information! :)

#28 unregistered_user

• 721 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

I have suffered from mental illness all my life. I am not young! Over the course of 40 years, I have been given medication upon medication to stop the depression and motivate me to do things. Before I took Modafinil, I was never functional for more than 6 months at a time and I was still depressed. I would spend my days in bed, constantly crying and not being able to do anything for myself. If it weren't for family, I would have been institutionalized. For the past three years, I have take Modafinil. I started at 400 mgs. per day and now am up to the large dosage of 1,200 mgs. over the course of the day. I am now functioning, do everything myself. I even live alone.

This is where they may be a problem. I had blood work recently and have very high liver enzymes (486! when they should be no higher than 40), however my Doctor took me off my cholesterol medicatioin, Simvastatin, which is definitely found to raise liver enzymes. I don't want to go off the Modafinil since I will be back to the extreme depression and having no motivation. I would rather suffer, then die than to go back to the way I was.

I don't know if they send medication to Europe, but I purchase it from http://Edandmore.com/ at approximately $195 U.S. Dollars for 200 pills of 200 mgs.

Comments? Questions?

What made you decide to purchase the Spier Modafinil instead of the Sun Modalert and why does the Modalert cost over $100 more? Aren't they essentially supposed to be the same thing?

#29 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:37 PM

Interesting what has been said about the issue of tolerance.

The main benefits for me is the anxiolytic response it induces. I know it releases DA in the nucleus accumbens but we are told this isn't significant enough for it to be considered a drug of potential abuse.

It makes me more sociable and far less fearful of situations that I'd normally find intimadating.

I have combined it with Memantine and it synergizes very well for all of my issues. Memantine drastically reduces the OCD which Modafinil might promote whilst keeping dopamine receptors sensitized. I don't know if Memantine would work for tolerance issues that might become a problem with Modafinil in the long term but I guess it wouldn't do any harm. I have never noticed tolerance with Modafinil anyway as 50mg has packed enough punch for me over the last 3 months or so.

If I increase in dosage (100mg +) it leaves a feeling of being almost intoxicated and I would wager a guess that people who complain of this 'tip of the tongue' syndrome are probably taking too much and are going to be the ones most likely to suffer with this phenomenom. I have experienced it myself a few times but it is rare and it doesn't seem to be an issue at the 50mg dose that I take.

The benefits from Modafinil are improved attention, focus, acts like an antidepressant and improves energy drastically. The negatives are that it can make me slightly one dimensional and robotic (but again, probably due to dose, this doesn't seem to be much of an issue).

It does have the ability to really mess with my sleep so I have to be careful not to exceed 50mg and even then I am taking an anti-histamine at bed time to ensure I get decent sleep. Shit sleep for sure is going to wreck your memory and will make you wired.

Edited by Thorsten2, 27 February 2012 - 11:43 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Guest_STfan_*

• Lurker

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

Comments? Questions?

What made you decide to purchase the Spier Modafinil instead of the Sun Modalert and why does the Modalert cost over $100 more? Aren't they essentially supposed to be the same thing?

Simi-Retarded-Individual, I tried the Sun Modalert, and it has much less of an effect than the Spier Modafinil. I ended up throwing the rest of the pills out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users