- - - - -

L-DOPA & HGH

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 aikikai

• 251 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:59 PM

Hello,
Didn't find anything about levodopa (L-DOPA) here in the forum. I wonder if anyone have information about the relation between levodopa and HGH? Does levodopa increase HGH-levels? Is it safe and from what age can you start supplementing L-DOPA?

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:40 AM

Can you explain your exact reasons for wanting to use L-Dopa? It's not exactly what I would go to first.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:54 PM

Can you explain your exact reasons for wanting to use L-Dopa? It's not exactly what I would go to first.

increases lifespan with 50% in rats, only works when you start supplementing when old enough or it will reduce lifespan

#4 Matthias

• 851 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:24 AM

originally posted by shepard (Jan 29 2007-20:16) :

And....?

#5 Matthias

• 851 posts

originally posted by medievil (Jan 30 2007-17:49) :

And...?

[huh]

#6 Matthias

• 851 posts

originally posted by shepard (Jan 30 2007-18:03) :

Sorry, I don't quite get what you're going for. Seeing as the original poster mentioned GH, I'm interested in his exact reasons for using L-Dopa. Only GH increase, GH + certain neurotransmitters, etc.

#7 Matthias

• 851 posts

originally posted by medievil (Jan 30 2007-18:33) :

i suppose he was just interested in ldopa for expanding his lifespan, and just wondered if it increased hgh
sounds logical on this kind of forum lol

#8 Matthias

• 851 posts

originally posted by jackinbox (Jan 30 2007-21:03) :

could the dopamine increase be of any use, as an exemple, in case of ADHD? To avoid dopamine depletion when using others meds? I'm just wondering...

#9 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 02:58 PM

could the dopamine increase be of any use, as an exemple, in case of ADHD? To avoid dopamine depletion when using others meds? I'm just wondering...

i dont think so, as adhd is not a problem of the ammount of dopamine
this is why moai's wont work for adhd either

slowing the reuptake of dopamine works

#10 kottke

• 246 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:06 PM

Thanks Mathias for recovering my post [ang]

slowing the re uptake of dopamine works

This statement isn't absolutely true-

# Arch Neurol 50: 286-288 (1993). Deprenyl in attention deficit associated with Tourette's syndrome. Jankovic J.

While central nervous system stimulants usually improve attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) associated with Tourette's syndrome, they often exacerbate tics and can produce other potentially serious complications. Because deprenyl may have a stimulatory effect and monoamine oxidase inhibitors have been shown to ameliorate hyperactive behavior, we studied this drug in children with the Tourette's syndrome-ADHD combination. Twenty-nine patients, 25 boys and four girls, with a mean age of 11.2 years (range, 6 to 18 years) and duration of symptoms for an average of 6.2 years (range, 1 to 13 years), were enrolled in this open trial after they became refractory to conventional treatments for ADHD. The average duration of treatment with deprenyl was 6.7 months (range, 3 to 15 months) and the average daily dose was 8.1 mg/d (range, 5 to 15 mg/dL). Twenty-six of all patients (90%) reported clinically meaningful improvement in their ADHD (score > or = 2 on a scale of 0 to 4), with the mean global improvement rated at 2.6. There were no serious adverse side effects and only two patients noted exacerbation of their tics. Deprenyl appears to be a safe and effective treatment of ADHD in patients with Tourette's syndrome.

I can attest to deprenyl greatly decreasing my ADD symptoms. It would seem the more dopamine you have the more the neuron or neurons need to uptake. It would be like a straw sucking up a pool of dopamine. I don't know if thats exactly true but i have taken deprenyl at 5mgs a day and the effect never stopped after taking it for a week and then so on. There seems to be more to the picture. And of course theres the whole theory of increased theta=delta waves and lower beta waves in the frontal cortex areas. This could be mediated by the low dopamine or some other unknown factor.

As posted earlier, L-DOPA, at least in pharmaceutical doses, has the risk of causing movement issues such as hyperkinesias. I doubt this plays out if supplementing with fava or velvet beans which have generous amounts of L-Dopa.and im just going to take Shepard's word that it doesn't really effect GH

#11 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:52 PM

.and im just going to take Shepard's word that it doesn't really effect GH

It will increase GH to some degree with high enough doses, it just isn't impressive against other GH-increasing strategies unless you have PD.

#12 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:51 PM

Thanks Mathias for recovering my post  [ang]

slowing the re uptake of dopamine works

This statement isn't absolutely true-

# Arch Neurol 50: 286-288 (1993). Deprenyl in attention deficit associated with Tourette's syndrome. Jankovic J.

While central nervous system stimulants usually improve attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) associated with Tourette's syndrome, they often exacerbate tics and can produce other potentially serious complications. Because deprenyl may have a stimulatory effect and monoamine oxidase inhibitors have been shown to ameliorate hyperactive behavior, we studied this drug in children with the Tourette's syndrome-ADHD combination. Twenty-nine patients, 25 boys and four girls, with a mean age of 11.2 years (range, 6 to 18 years) and duration of symptoms for an average of 6.2 years (range, 1 to 13 years), were enrolled in this open trial after they became refractory to conventional treatments for ADHD. The average duration of treatment with deprenyl was 6.7 months (range, 3 to 15 months) and the average daily dose was 8.1 mg/d (range, 5 to 15 mg/dL). Twenty-six of all patients (90%) reported clinically meaningful improvement in their ADHD (score > or = 2 on a scale of 0 to 4), with the mean global improvement rated at 2.6. There were no serious adverse side effects and only two patients noted exacerbation of their tics. Deprenyl appears to be a safe and effective treatment of ADHD in patients with Tourette's syndrome.

I can attest to deprenyl greatly decreasing my ADD symptoms. It would seem the more dopamine you have the more the neuron or neurons need to uptake. It would be like a straw sucking up a pool of dopamine. I don't know if thats exactly true but i have taken deprenyl at 5mgs a day and the effect never stopped after taking it for a week and then so on. There seems to be more to the picture. And of course theres the whole theory of increased theta=delta waves and lower beta waves in the frontal cortex areas. This could be mediated by the low dopamine or some other unknown factor.

As posted earlier, L-DOPA, at least in pharmaceutical doses, has the risk of causing movement issues such as hyperkinesias. I doubt this plays out if supplementing with fava or velvet beans which have generous amounts of L-Dopa.and im just going to take Shepard's word that it doesn't really effect GH

deprenyl works for adhd, but nardil or parante doesn't, i have no idea why but it could be because deprenyl has some beneficial things for the brain, or the amphetamine metabolites (but they might be to low to do a thing)

#13 kottke

• 246 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 04:22 PM

Deprenyl is, for the most part, an MAOI-B inhibitor which works mainly on enzymes that work with dopamine. At higher doses MAOI-A becomes present. So maybe the over stimulation of serotonin of say nardil or paranate brings about a sedating/concentration inhibiting kind of issues. The amphetamine metabolite may have a part in it.

#14 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 06:25 PM

i do know that parnate wich works very much on dopamine, didnt do much for the brain fog i was in
i've taken cymbalta and ritalin before, and ritalin still worked great (so i doubt its the increase of serotonin)
might be the combination of things or something, increase in dopamine working in synergy with the amphetamines and stuff

enough talking crap, were just making explanations up ;)

#15 kottke

• 246 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 06:58 PM

All SSRI's at some point down regulate DA. They know this because people can develop dyskenesia (though very rare) through longterm use. Ritalin also enhances NA a significant amount so keep that in mind. We also have to realize there are so many other factors then just neurotransmitters going on Ritalin, dextroamphetamine, Modafinil, Wellbutrin, and deprenyl have all worked for my ADD symptoms. They just cause me to have so much anxiety its insane.

#16 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 07:00 PM

"They just cause me to have so much anxiety its insane."

did this happen after long term use? seems like most of these things dont cause any anxiety at first but they do after a while

i'm wondering whats the mechanism behind it and how to reverse it

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#17 kottke

• 246 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:49 AM

Modafinil, Wellbutrin, and amphetamines also increase noradrenaline so i think thats where the anxiety stems from. Selegiline didn't really give me anxiety but when taking it with ativan, lithium, and a shit load of German beer over the past summer in Germany, i got a little psychotic. I haven't tried it since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users