Photo
- - - - -

garlic, ginger, and cissus mutagentic

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:34 AM

I found this while researching any negative side effects of Cissus. I'm thinking of adding it in my regimine for joint pain and was initially concerned that it was a carcinogen. I'm somewhat less worried now that I see the same studies say ginger and garlic are mutagenic. Anyone have an explanation for this?

Note the conflicting results on garlic and ginger:

"Spices like pepper, pippali, ginger and mustard increased the number of revertants indicating their mutagenic potential"
http://www.ncbi.nlm....st_uids=8582746

"garlic, palm oil, arrack, onion and pyrolysed portions of bread toast, chicory powder were weakly mutagenic, while tamarind and turmeric were not" ...
"Cissus quadrangularis was mutagenic"
http://www.ncbi.nlm....l=pubmed_DocSum

#2 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:55 AM

Even though I stopped taking it, for the moment, I do not think there is a concern when it comes to using AGE garlic extract. The safety studies presented in the Kyolic PDF were enough to assure me. They showed problems with raw garlic but not AGE.

Check out the toxicity section:

http://www.imminst.o...=post&id=123271

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:10 AM

Yeah, but isn't ginger and raw garlic generally recognized as not only safe, but healthy? If so then what does this really mean: don't overdo the garlic and ginger?

#4 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:20 AM

My dad works as a safety engineer for a chemical company. He taught me that carcinogenic, toxic, etc meant nothing without knowing how strong it is. I think the benefits outweigh any negatives I have seen. Normal dietary amounts are fine in my book. I havent looked into ginger.

Maybe someone here has a less subjective response.

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 04:05 AM

From the first abstract that health_nutty posted (PMID: 8582746):

Garlic extract on the other hand was found to inhibit the mutagenicity produced by direct acting mutagens such as N-methyl N'-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine and sodium azide.

This would be consistent with the Kyolic pdf.

cnorwood19, did you have any problem with the aged garlic extract giving you bad breath, repelling women like some hideous chemical forcefield, or anything like that? I'd like to give it a try but would like to hear from someone who's used it first.

#6 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 04:12 AM

From the first abstract that health_nutty posted (PMID: 8582746):

This would be consistent with the Kyolic pdf.

cnorwood19, did you have any problem with the aged garlic extract giving you bad breath, repelling women like some hideous chemical forcefield, or anything like that?  I'd like to give it a try but would like to hear from someone who's used it first.

Its weird how the two studies contradict each other on garlic and ginger!

I"m not cnorwood19, but I do take aged garlic extract (5 caps a day). I have no problem with bad breath when taking aged garlic extract (unlike other garlic or garlic supplements).

#7 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:33 PM

AGE gave me no garlic smell.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:49 AM

Thanks, I'll be trying it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users