- - - - -

Pomegranate extract doseage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:43 PM

Hi,

Just received my BAC Pom40P extract and was just wondering what doseages everyone taking this was using and in what form?
It's the loose powder, (standardized to 40% punicosides) and 1 "serving" is listed as 50mg. I bought two bottles so I have 50 grams.

Thanks!!!!

Malbec

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:09 PM

I take a liquid extract (tastes pretty good, too) that is standardized to 30% punicaligin. The daily dose I use is equivalent to 125 mg of the 30% extract, so that would translate to 37.5 mg punicaligin. A 50 mg tab of 40% would be 20 mg punicaligin.

According to [PMID: 17179594], one liter of commercial pomegranate juice "purchased from local stores" contained 317 +/- 17 mg of phenolics, of which 70% was punicalagin, however they also claimed "Total phenolics in fresh
single-strength pomegranate whole fruit juice contained 2,216+/-70 mg/L
(95% punicalagins)". I'm not sure what "whole fruit juice" means in this context, but think it might include the carp- the whitish stuff between the seeds that you normally don't eat. That is a rich source of phenolics, as is the rind.

You might not want to consume a massive amount of pomegranate, because like some other fruits, it inhibits P450 3A and 2C9 in the gut, and can impact the blood levels of drugs that are metabolized by those p450s. It is like grapefruit in that regard, but is not as potent an inhibitor as grapefruit.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 08:38 PM

I shoot for taking the equivelant of 10oz of pomegranate juice. This is slightly more than used in the study that showing a 30% reduction in artery plaque after 1 year (used 8 ounces of juice). Other stuidies have shown benefits from as less than 2oz.

I take around 300mg of the BAC Pom40p per day

"Studies indicate benefits from as little as 50mL (1.7 ounces) of pomegranate juice per day. When compared to the leading brand of juice in the US, this is equivalent to 45 - 50 mg of POM40p a day."

http://www.npicenter...=13503&zoneid=9

#4 malbecman

• Topic Starter
  • 733 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 04:29 PM

Health nutty and Niner,

Thanks for sharing that research, links and your personal doseages!

-Malbec

Edited by malbecman, 05 February 2007 - 05:09 PM.

#5 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 04:48 PM

So how much did you decide to take?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 malbecman

• Topic Starter
  • 733 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:16 PM

Well, it definitely has a taste that will take some getting used to but I guess all the "good" medicine for you is going to be bitter just like my mom used to say.

I appreciate knowing the study used 8 fl ozs of juice per day so I will work up to 250-300 mgs of BAC Pom40p per day also over a week or so (as best as I can measure with the little scooper). I do have access to a analytical balance but I think my co-workers would start thinking me a little weird or a druggie if they saw me weighing this out every day so I'm going to guesstimate.

I'm also taking ResV so it will be interesting to track my bp and other clinical bloodwork at my next physical.

-M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users