Photo
- - - - -

Pre Diabetes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:14 PM

My Aunt is pre-diabetic so was wondering what the best supplements for her to take was to keep her blood glucose levels in the normal range.

I was thinking r-lipoic acid and Benfotiamine capsules several times a day but is there anything else worth taking?

Do these supplements interfere with prescription medication as she is on a hgh dose of statin drugs (the doctor has kept doubling the dose and she is now on 80mg per day). She is sort of a skeptic when it comes to health supplements ans was hard to convince her to try co-q10 (especially because she has been on statin drugs for many years). Can you believe after feeling really great and more energetic from the co-q10 she went and told her doctor about it and he said not to bother with those things as they are a waste of time and money. She is still taking the supplements but unfortunatly will probably keep the narrow minded moron of a doctor (I would have thought someone in his field would have known that statin drugs deplete co-q10 stores in the body and so should have recommended them in the first place).

So apart from r-lipoic acid and benfotiamine, what else can help?

#2 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:54 PM

I was thinking r-lipoic acid and Benfotiamine capsules several times a day but is there anything else worth taking?

pyridoxamine [thumb]

http://www.ncbi.nlm....l=pubmed_docsum

http://www.ncbi.nlm....l=pubmed_docsum

definitely stick with the r-lipoic and benfotiamine too. go with AOR for the benfotiamine and gerenova for the r-lipoic.

there are a few others like ALT-711 which may help reverse parts of her condition, but not to a significant degree unfortunately.

there are a few others that are still "experimental" but I feel uncomfortable reccomending those to anyone until I see more data.

sirtiris is also testing a compound for drug development and it looks like a winner. it's called SRT-501 I believe.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:12 PM

Can you believe after feeling really great and more energetic from the co-q10 she went and told her doctor about it and he said not to bother with those things as they are a waste of time and money.

In my completely unprofessional opinion, her doctor is an idiot. There have been studies as far back as the early 80's establishing the need for CoQ10 supplementation when taking statins, and if she's on large doses of statins, then she's probably particularly in need of CoQ10.

Again, I'm not a medical professional of any sort, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But I think LEF has a nice article explaining the need for CoQ10 supplementation when taking statins, which you should look for. I think it references a patent held by Merck, if that helps you find the article.

#4 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:27 PM

Metformin comes to mind but I'm not sure if it's a prescription drug or OTC. Probably prescription although there are ways to get those things through other channels. I would also use cinnamon which has been shown to be helpful along with a good vitamin program. That doctor does sound like an idiot and I would go elsewhere if I were her. Another important but obvious thing to do is avoid all refined sugar and flour products. She must get her carbs in the form of complex carbs found in many veggies.

#5 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:38 PM

Green Tea too.

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:04 PM

I second (or third, whatever) the lipoic acid. Anybody who isn't taking fish oil probably should, too. The idiot doctor problem is one that I have also. I hold my doctor in high regard because he is a brilliant diagnostician and takes great care of me when it comes to conventional medicine. When it comes to the kinds of things that we talk about here, he's, well, an idiot. He knows nothing about it and doesn't seem like he wants to know. He gives the impression of someone who's been burned in the past. Once I caught him in a less guarded moment when he admitted that he has kind of a uniform negative view of supplements because if he was even neutral on something, a patient would view that as an endorsement, and he was not comfortable with that. So, what to do? I'm thinking of putting together a good information package for him on everything I take, with refs to positive and negative evidence, safety, and pharmacokinetics. He's not a dope, so maybe I could bring him around, at least as far as he relates to me. Or not. It's probably worth a shot, since I want the info for myself anyway, but it's going to take some time.

#7 ageless

• 219 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:46 PM

AOR Age amadori for benfotiamine and pyridoxamine.
Cinnamon bark like vitacosts, AOR's R+SR or NaRLA, Ortho Glucose and a good EGCG green tea extract. A great multi like ortho core and fish oil would complete it.

#8 shifter

• Topic Starter
  • 716 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:04 PM

hey, thanks for the replies. Will look into the other supplements mentioned. And yes that doctor certainly is an idiot. He thinks any health supplements of any kind are just a money making scheme and do no good (funny I thought much the same of big pharma).

I have already ordered the 100mg r-lipoic acid (Na stabilised) and 150mg benfotiamine capsules from iherb (doctors best brand). So will look at the others now.

#9 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:00 AM

Try to move her into a low GI diet -
No cake or red meat on this earth is better than being healthy
Eliminate processed foods

An Ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure - [thumb]

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 04:05 PM

As above:
1. Eat right: whole foods; balanced meals.
2. Exercise regularly/daily at least 30"- more, up to a point, is better,
as is more strenuous. Include flexibility exercises, aerobic/cardio, resistance/weights,
balance and agility.
3. Sleep well! Aim for at least 7 hours; more may be better for metabolism/appetite.
4. Drink: Moderate ETOH; coffee, tea, all have at least epidemiological support for preventing DM II.
Supplements (if desired or deemed helpful- personal choice):
Pycnogenol
Resveratrol
Ginseng, American, Korean
HCA
Chromium
Omega-3 Oils
Cinnamon
Banaba
Magnesium
Barley extract
Fiber