Photo
- - - - -

Vinpocetine + Exercise?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 t ham

• 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:43 PM

I have previously taken vinpocetine and noticed a bit of, for lack of a better description, increased pressure in my head, which seems to hold true to the claim of increased blood flow to the head. However, I was taking it in combination with Ginko.
I am wondering if anybody has heard of or experienced bad effects with vinpoectine and exercise, especially strenuous weightlifting.

I haven't yet taken vinpoectine and exercised within 6 hours, but if nobody has an answer, I'll have to do a careful experiment.

Any comments/suggestions?

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:48 PM

I have taken vinpocetine in the past but never near the time when I exercise. It lifted my mood a bit...just a little. It kind-of acted like a mood enhancer. I didn't really do much else for me...that I could tell.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:54 PM

What dosages were you using with the ginkgo/vinpocetine combination? With meals or without?

I've taken vinpocetine around workouts many times and never had issues that could be attributed to the vinpocetine.

#4 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:21 PM

Vinpocetine is cerebral vasodilator (similar effects like hydergine). Since I have lower BP it makes me sleepy. I sometimes take Vinpocetine/Vincamine before bad.

For people with low BP it isn't good to take it when working out. For those with higher BP than normal it actually could help.

In general nothing bad should happen (assuming you're healthy), you just might feel sleepy and lethargic when working out.

#5 t ham

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:50 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I was using Bulk Nutrition's GHV product with and without meals. It has:

Gingko Biloba
(Standardized to 24% glycosides and 6% lactones) 60 mg*
Huperzine A 5% Extract
(Standardized to 25 mcg huperzine A) 500 mcg*
Vinpocetine 5 mg

#6 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:04 PM

Noticed a similar effect so I stopped taking it. I also have low bp of around 90/60.

increased pressure in my head

I had this feeling about 30 minutes after taking vinpocetine, even at 5mg. The effect was much less after using it more and more.

Edited by Matt, 08 February 2007 - 11:46 PM.

#7 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:39 PM

never has an pressure in my head from vinpocetine

i take BSN no-xplode before i work out, which has a few vinca alkaloids in it (vinpocetine, vincamine, etc)

ive never had and problems

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 t ham

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:54 PM

Vinpocetine is cerebral vasodilator (similar effects like hydergine). Since I have lower BP it makes me sleepy. I sometimes take Vinpocetine/Vincamine before bad.

I've acually started to notice this, so I'm timing my vinpocetine so that it is at least 1 hour before my workouts, or any time after.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users