LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

- - - - -

Raw herbal powders versus standardized extracts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

• Lurker

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:46 AM

For things like bacopa, how does the concentration of active ingredients in the raw powder compare to that in concentrated extracts? I have some organic bacopa on hand and take around 1/2 teaspoon in water (taste like pond water) daily, but I'm not sure if that is too little or too much compared to typical doses one takes in concentrated extract form. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:54 AM

It's going to depend on the powder. But, as a general rule, it's usually a better idea to take the extracts that contain what you are looking for.

This isn't the case with some more benign things, but for the most part it's a pretty safe bet.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

• Lurker

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:03 AM

> This isn't the case with some more benign things, but for the most part it's a pretty safe bet.

Yes, I think ginkgo, for example, has some not-so-good things in it (ginkgolic acid) which are mostly removed in the extract form. But my impression is that things like bacopa and ashwaghanda are pretty benign and could be taken in non-extract form. The benefit of taking the non-extract form is that I have an certified organic source of said products.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 wannafulfill

• 275 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:52 PM

The answer is we have no idea. Bacopa, for instance, contains dozens of unique chemical constituents, most of which have received very little research. Isolating, or refining for bacopaside A might be better, it might not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users