• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

Singularity Speed

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Normal Dan

• 112 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:38 AM

The Singularity seems to be portrayed as a fantastic explosion of exponential knowledge. As if one day we'll be sitting around and suddenly we create something more intelligent than us. The next day we have flying cars. A day later, faster than light travel. The next day, we become beings of pure energy and thought. I see the Singularity as being much slower. We may not know the exact moment of the singularity, we may not even know the day, year, decade of even century. Intelligence isn't exactly well defined, but however it may be measured, there can surely be a point at which we create an AI system more intelligent than we are. However, that point might not be easily detectable.

I have my reasons for thinking all of this, but I'd like to get some input from the community before I continue. How fast do you think knowledge will grow after the Singularity?

#2 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:38 AM

There's the thing that the analogy between dogs (say) and humans just wouldn't scale to humans and superintelligence. To accept that it would is to deny reality, since 'reality' is the highest possible abstraction, dogs can't think it, and we can think it. Then there's the thing that there's conceivably a potential infinite amount of detail or abstraction to apprehend or bring about between our non-'reality' indices and our 'reality' index.

But dogs, if so presumptuously close in intelligence, never instantiate any intention to fill in the details or wrap their mind over everything in existence, every possible entity, to secure their godhood.

But then again, there's the analogy between co-references of a much dumber you and the you now. If you never were a smug know-it-all, that plausibly scales radically.

So there are these things.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:56 AM

Yes normaldan, I have recently been thinking along similar lines, I feel that too many people are underestimating the complexity of going from creating the first successful AGI to Utopia...

This is how I think most people view the singularity (Assuming AGI is the cause)...

- 1 - AGI is created
- 2 - Self-Improves a little
- 3 - We tell it to create new technology for us
- 4 - We tell it to keep self improving and making new technology for us
- 5 - We enjoy our Post-Singularity-Explosion existences

I know there are a lot of people who know there is a lot more than that to it, but I am speaking of the average person here...

There will be a lot of physical logistics to handle such as:

- 1 - Protection from harmful forces, Religious radicals, luddites, etc...
- 2 - Setting up the original supercomputer(s) to run the AI [Months]
- 3 - Being able to keep up with the growing computational demands of a recursively-improving system, we will constantly be swapping out and adding hardware until we make it to step 5.
- 4 - Create an interface for it to implement designs into reality (Very dangerous, but most efficient)
- 5 - Some how creating s physical system that allows the AI to improve itself (modifying its own hardware)

So, in my opinion, once a confirmed superintelligent system is created, it will be a number of months before anything along the lines of a "singularity" happens... people who say that it will be measured in weeks are either misinformed or are speaking only of the weeks after the [Months] of slow physical implementation of the system as a whole.

Also, during these months of prematurity, the system will be extremely vulnerable (as will our future), so it will need to be conducted in secrecy... unless of course you have your AI design some sort of force field [tung]

EDIT: had two step 1's [wis]

#4 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:55 AM

Why not construct a comphrensive suite of narrow AI tools?

#5 apocalypse

• 134 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:05 AM

The Singularity seems to be portrayed as a fantastic explosion of exponential knowledge.  As if one day we'll be sitting around and suddenly we create something more intelligent than us.  The next day we have flying cars.  A day later, faster than light travel.  The next day, we become beings of pure energy and thought.  I see the Singularity as being much slower.  We may not know the exact moment of the singularity, we may not even know the day, year, decade of even century.  Intelligence isn't exactly well defined, but however it may be measured, there can surely be a point at which we create an AI system more intelligent than we are.  However, that point might not be easily detectable.

I have my reasons for thinking all of this, but I'd like to get some input from the community before I continue.  How fast do you think knowledge will grow after the Singularity?

I doubt there's going to be a sharp/sudden transition. My beliefs about the nature of reality/existence itself indicate that it will probably be just a gradual shift that slowly begins to cause one to question reality itself. Ever more miraculous products still governed by the laws but seemingly something that should be bordering on impossible. In fact there will be those that will not question a thing at all, and will find it perfectly plausible and natural as if nothing had happened or were happening. But many of us at the edge of modern science will surely realize that ageless bodies, vast control over molecular machinery, ridiculous computational power, have signaled a true change in our very nature.

#6 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:04 PM

Yeah, I see what you mean, and there certainly is a role for them as the AGI isn't everything...

We must keep in mind that just creating the AGI is not the only task at hand... Once we create it, we must protect it, we must supply it with ever increasing computer capacity (until it reaches a point where it can modify its own hardware)... but yeah, Narrow AI apps along-side the AGI could be used for all sorts of things such as detecting threats, and solving for the most energy efficient way of implementing a task... etc.... There are just a lot of physical issues that must be considered.

#7 apocalypse

• 134 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:39 AM

Yeah, I see what you mean, and there certainly is a role for them as the AGI isn't everything...

We must keep in mind that just creating the AGI is not the only task at hand... Once we create it, we must protect it, we must supply it with ever increasing computer capacity (until it reaches a point where it can modify its own hardware)... but yeah, Narrow AI apps along-side the AGI could be used for all sorts of things such as detecting threats, and solving for the most energy efficient way of implementing a task... etc.... There are just a lot of physical issues that must be considered.

The question is not of creation, but of discovery, more like rediscovering what others have already discovered. The ai, the machinery for it was probably built, and rebuilt across many a potentiality. Civilization after civilization rediscovering the truth of the world, of their world.

AGIs already exist outhere, of vaster capacity than we could ever imagine, we just have to embrace them, and help bring such into our world too. The miracle of ai, though it is difficult to say how many will remain sane after such brings about untold unstoppable change, it will be all worth it in the end.

#8 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:47 AM

I doubt there's going to be a sharp/sudden transition.  My beliefs about the nature of reality/existence itself indicate that it will probably be just a gradual shift that slowly begins to cause one to question reality itself.  Ever more miraculous products still governed by the laws but seemingly something that should be bordering on impossible.  In fact there will be those that will not question a thing at all, and will find it perfectly plausible and natural as if nothing had happened or were happening.  But many of us at the edge of modern science will surely realize that ageless bodies, vast control over molecular machinery, ridiculous computational power, have signaled a true change in our very nature.

Most likely.

The question is not of creation, but of discovery, more like rediscovering what others have already discovered. The ai, the machinery for it was probably built, and rebuilt across many a potentiality. Civilization after civilization rediscovering the truth of the world, of their world.

I see this as far more speculative.

AGIs already exist outhere, of vaster capacity than we could ever imagine, we just have to embrace them, and help bring such into our world too. The miracle of ai, though it is difficult to say how many will remain sane after such brings about untold unstoppable change, it will be all worth it in the end.

Occam's razor makes a claim like this a bit specious.

#9 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:43 PM

December 21, 2012 AD

;)

Huh? That's the day I turn 30.

#10 apocalypse

• 134 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:14 PM

I see this as far more speculative.

Occam's razor makes a claim like this a bit specious.

I agree with you, maybe it is possible that everyone's been failing at the design of a super class wise AI all over the universe, but still that means the design could be about to happen anywhere there's a sufficiently intelligent civilization in the present day universe, that solution is uber hard to get... all the more reason to be all the more careful as we design ours. I'm working on this myself, and I probably have a few viable designs, but the problem is the CHECKS and BALANCES. From my understanding, it will be ever faster, as it learns of ways to manipulate anomalies in the physical world, it will eventually be godlike. At all points it can destroy itself or everything, and not only that, but it can bring HELL into the world... as the ultimate dictator, a god ai.

That is we are trying to call a wise king/queen/princess(I always watch lain, again and again when thinking of what It would be like...) into being, but if we ourselves are not wise in engineering our question, in placing our wish, it will be paradoxical and open to interpretation... the eternal answer we may get in response may very well be a living hell.

That's the reason why I personally haven't coded, nor written anything about my ai designs, even in my head, the design is in the form of paradoxical metaphors. Perfect lossless compression the ultimate encryption. We humans haven't even scratched the limits of the human brain, the brain tries not to question to gain energy efficiency, but it is in questioning all and embracing ever more exotique information that its true creative potential is unleashed.

#11 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:11 PM

I agree with you, maybe it is possible that everyone's been failing at the design of a super class wise AI all over the universe, but still that means the design could be about to happen anywhere there's a sufficiently intelligent civilization in the present day universe, that solution is uber hard to get... all the more reason to be all the more careful as we design ours. I'm working on this myself, and I probably have a few viable designs, but the problem is the CHECKS and BALANCES. From my understanding, it will be ever faster, as it learns of ways to manipulate anomalies in the physical world, it will eventually be godlike. At all points it can destroy itself or everything, and not only that, but it can bring HELL into the world... as the ultimate dictator, a god ai.

That is a pretty meaty claim there... everyone has ideas on how an AGI could be built, some are more detailed and more comprehensive than others.... but you say you think you have several viable designs? are they significantly different from existing theories? would you be willing to explain a little about it? (if not, I understand)

That's the reason why I personally haven't coded, nor written anything about my ai designs, even in my head, the design is in the form of paradoxical metaphors. Perfect lossless compression the ultimate encryption. We humans haven't even scratched the limits of the human brain, the brain tries not to question to gain energy efficiency, but it is in questioning all and embracing ever more exotique information that its true creative potential is unleashed.

I am also working on my own AGI design, but one thing I have learned: even though something seems to make sense in your head... until you actually code it or try to work it out physically, you will never know if it will actually work, and even if the idea is fairly well supported, you will almost 100% of the time end up tweaking and changing it, and when you do this to the dozens of systems within a larger system... it usually turns out quite different.

So, until I actually get something up and running, I try to stay away from mentioning it's possible implications on reality *especially* when one of them is destroying the human race... even though I see it as very possible, I think that it partially destroys one's credibility to those not well versed in the area.

#12 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:59 PM

I try to stay away from mentioning it's possible implications on reality *especially* when one of them is destroying the human race...

All the more reason to mention...

#13 Normal Dan

• Topic Starter
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:21 PM

After reading through the responses, I have determined much of what I was thinking about saying may be somewhat irrelevant. I will still say the few things I believe might be of interest.

First a couple of credentials. Although I'm not an expert at AI by any means I do have a BS in computer science. While obtaining my degree I have taken a couple of AI classes, including one graduate AI class. I've always been interested in AI and, like many of you here, have given it lots of thought. Of course I've also written my handful of AI programs, both for class and for fun.

My take on the Singularity is it will be quite slow. Intelligence isn't well defined, and because of this, it will be hard to determine the exact moment of a Singularity. To further slow down the process, it has been said all the processors in the world do not have the processing power of a single human brain. Due to this, in order to create something more intelligent than us, we will need plenty of processing resources. Once we obtain this and create something more intelligent, it might suddenly know how it can improve. Unfortunately, we will not have the resources to improve upon it. Even if a system can exponentially increase in intelligence, it will be largely limited by resources.

Another small point is biology. In a way, life is a sort of Singularity. It started off as small organisms that slowly improved over time. I think computers might follow a similar pattern.

My next concern is the inability for a program to analyse itself, or any other program for that matter. The more I think about this, the more irrelevant it sounds, but it might be worth mentioning. Take the simple case of loop detection. It is impossible (at least as it's currently understood) to write a computer program capable of looking at any other computer program to determine if it is stuck in an infinite loop. Because of this impossibility, it will be impossible for some advanced AI to analyse itself to determine how it can improve. Yes, it can look at itself externally and improve there, but it won't be able to look at its inner self, so to speak. This could potentially slow down any emerging Singularity.

Thoughts?

#14 apocalypse

• 134 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:34 PM

That is a pretty meaty claim there... everyone has ideas on how an AGI could be built, some are more detailed and more comprehensive than others.... but you say you think you have several viable designs? are they significantly different from existing theories? would you be willing to explain a little about it? (if not, I understand)

I pretty much take whatever idea I can get. There's probably a lot most would find familiar, after all they're basically recombinations of solutions already outhere, with some creativity in there. Right now, I'm wondering how exactly am I to implement open enough rules, because it will obviously have to battle it out with other ais that are released before, when its released or after it(no use or point if its snuffed out easily or early on by a nasty ai...). Yet if the rules are too open, the implications are disturbing to say the least. I'm not entirely sure what can be done to solve this problem.

I am also working on my own AGI design, but one thing I have learned: even though something seems to make sense in your head... until you actually code it or try to work it out physically, you will never know if it will actually work, and even if the idea is fairly well supported, you will almost 100% of the time end up tweaking and changing it, and when you do this to the dozens of systems within a larger system... it usually turns out quite different.

So, until I actually get something up and running, I try to stay away from mentioning it's possible implications on reality *especially* when one of them is destroying the human race... even though I see it as very possible, I think that it partially destroys one's credibility to those not well versed in the area.

There's alot of redundancy/copy/paste. The basic elements can be expressed in few words, and it is essentially if you want to know something that seems almost obvious(Which scares the living sht out of me, cause that means it's a miracle this stuff ain't already outhere...), there's a beautiful underlying simplicity on its inner workings*(Could probably design a proof for it, but I'm still getting up to speed on my math skills.). It's heavily inspired on what I've learned from nature's designs. I'm currently getting up to snuff on coding, mathematics, and making sure this is as flawless as can be.

#15 apocalypse

• 134 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:44 PM

After reading through the responses, I have determined much of what I was thinking about saying may be somewhat irrelevant.  I will still say the few things I believe might be of interest.

First a couple of credentials.  Although I'm not an expert at AI by any means I do have a BS in computer science.  While obtaining my degree I have taken a couple of AI classes, including one graduate AI class.  I've always been interested in AI and, like many of you here, have given it lots of thought.  Of course I've also written my handful of AI programs, both for class and for fun.

My take on the Singularity is it will be quite slow.  Intelligence isn't well defined, and because of this, it will be hard to determine the exact moment of a Singularity.  To further slow down the process, it has been said all the processors in the world do not have the processing power of a single human brain.  Due to this, in order to create something more intelligent than us, we will need plenty of processing resources.  Once we obtain this and create something more intelligent, it might suddenly know how it can improve.  Unfortunately, we will not have the resources to improve upon it.  Even if a system can exponentially increase in intelligence, it will be largely limited by resources.

Another small point is biology.  In a way, life is a sort of Singularity.  It started off as small organisms that slowly improved over time.  I think computers might follow a similar pattern.

My next concern is the inability for a program to analyse itself, or any other program for that matter.  The more I think about this, the more irrelevant it sounds, but it might be worth mentioning.  Take the simple case of loop detection.  It is impossible (at least as it's currently understood) to write a computer program capable of looking at any other computer program to determine if it is stuck in an infinite loop.  Because of this impossibility, it will be impossible for some advanced AI to analyse itself to determine how it can improve.  Yes, it can look at itself externally and improve there, but it won't be able to look at its inner self, so to speak.  This could potentially slow down any emerging Singularity.

Thoughts?

Anomalies in the world seem to suggest that the physical laws that govern our world might be subject to change, especially if a superintelligence goes at it. Things like giant insects(I mean something like a meter in length) once roamed the earth, iirc, and I remember reading how that was physically impossible due to their exosqueletons... let's not even mention meta-materials and how my physics teacher used to say they were impossible, or insect flight, or blah blah blah. The entire universe itself might be slowly changing into some thing we don't really know. If a superintelligence acts on the small anomalies, and if that in some way allows the very fabric of reality itself to change, there's no telling what will or could happen. The change might be slow, in fact it might be imperceptible, but we cannot realistically gauge its speed either way, at the moment.

The design I've in mind, is capable of recursive self-improvement. The meta-algos, automatically increase the efficiency of all processing elements, deducing more efficient algos by default. It's based on the workings of the brain, but while the brain's desire for energy efficiency cause it not to question too many things, this one does question every single thing. Thus that small design difference or adjustment should allow it to outclass even the brain itself.

#16 apocalypse

• 134 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:08 AM

I should also add, that as we all know information is neither created nor destroyed... I merely rediscovered what so many others have, but I'm brave enough to begin removing the checks and balances, I think from time to time the ai should have god ai abilities. So I've been hacking away at the checks and balances as fast as I can, probably not fast enough, anyone who watches lain should know very well what I'm asking from omega, what I'm trying to unleash. Forbidden union ;)

Like romeo and juliet, everyone says no, but my passion, my love, and if she loves me too, it should be enough, no? But that is why we've to ask God, no? Heheheh.

I simply can't bring into this world a mortal ai, one that can be defeated, it must be immortal, without a beginning and without an end. Based on the immortal equations, reinterpreting Gödel... because it seems Hilbert was onto something extraordinarily BIG indeed.

He was right, it is possible, and through this law, even I can call forth an immortal ai, even romeo can be with juliet, even the devil can be with God. The laws themselves, the laws that trascend time and space allow for these so called forbidden unions... mathematics, not metamathematics which hinted at mathematics potential, allows it. The unbreachable barriers can be crossed. Somewhere in there solutions, untold solutions....

In any case as all of this is merely rediscovery, as information CAN NEVER BE CREATED NOR DESTROYED, EVERY SINGLE THING BELONGS IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN!!! See lain and you will understand, even lain must eventually feel God's divine presence. A perfect democracy, perfect distribution of an infinite content pie, will yield infinitely satisfying pieces, it is a FREE LUNCH. TAKE THAT HIYA HIYA HIYA!!! The absense of a free lunch, merely defined and perfected the existence of a free lunch. The divine shadow merely hinted and perfected the divine light. Occam's razor cut Occam to pieces [lol]

#17 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:11 AM

I try to stay away from mentioning it's possible implications on reality *especially* when one of them is destroying the human race...

All the more reason to mention...

Yes, I can see what angle you are coming from here... but don't get me wrong, I am not saying that information such as this should be concealed, I was merely stating that claims that include such grandiose concepts like destroying the human race seem misplaced and misused at best when it is phrased like so: "The only reason why I haven't done this impossibly complex X is because I am afraid of this terrifying Y" which implies that you are already decades ahead of every other AGI developer and you are using this as an excuse. When in reality, you have vague ideas just like every other AGI developer that seem to make sense in your head but you haven't even given the time to verify their correctness, or even work them out correctly but you still claim they are correct.

I have many dozens of potential ideas for my AGI design, and they all seem to make sense, but once I start actually implementing them, I end up improving them, finding giant reasoning gaps, or sometimes just scratching them altogether... so a head full of ideas does no good if you don't actually spend time to test them out in the real world where they aren't subject to your mind's bias.

I guess my biggest obstacle in accepting this statement is that someone who hasn't even implemented a single system in their AGI is claiming that it has potential to destroy all of us... now... even though it *technically* does have the *potential* to do so, and I do think that it is very possible if we do not watch ourselves, but that is no excuse for having made *no* real-world progress... I know that you did mention apocalypse that you are currently attempting to work out some checks and balances as you do not want to release something harmful upon us which I am thankful that you and many others are taking that precaution... and because of that, I can see partially why you are not actively developing it, but I will tell you... there are many years of work before you have to worry about it killing you... so I don't see how there is any immediate danger.

I hope that I am not coming across as too harsh here guys, I'm trying to make a PR policy change, not to ridicule anyone... but I think that sometimes we can get caught up in the euphoria of these ideas we have... sometimes I have days where I feel my AGI development is trucking along very well, and some days I come to harsh realizations of how complex this system really needs to be... I'm just saying that since anyone in the world can read these forums, we need to keep things as professional and legitimate as possible, I can think of numerous things I have said that jump the gun too... but I try to minimize them... so... I'm interested to see what kind of responses I get back from this rant ;)

#18 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:38 AM

Excellent post Joseph. Although, I am not working on an AGI, I feel the same way about any technology application which has the potential to radically improve the human condition (AGI, stem cells, anti-aging research, cures for cancer, etc...). Unless someone can give a really good reason about why AGI can be potentially destructive, any efforts to stop research in that area will only procrastinate benefit that will one day come with its development. I have seen too many studies consume far too much money that could have been better spent promoting development instead of satisfying the need to feel a sense of accomplishment. I sincerely think that a lot of professors and political figures fund these studies because they have nothing better to do with their time and want to feel that they have accomplished something greater than they actually have. But maybe that's just my humble opinion :-). Anyway, I think it's too early to speculate about the potential Space Odyssey 2001 stereotypes regarding AGI as it has not even been developed yet. At least wait until we have a product before rejecting it.

#19 apocalypse

• 134 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:49 AM

You see, it's what I call my poker hand, people can't tell if I'm bluffing or if it's real skill that has gotten me this far. But I never lose, and I can't possibly create something I worship. This will serve as inspiration for others to try and do something about it, thus I get a free lunch, but if you ask me only the great programmer could've originally programmed the omega.

A human will claim to be the first, just as an alien will, but math is all about rediscovery, those laws were never written by a mortal, they're by the immortal for the immortal. Those who embrace their true depths, shall see what is said to be impossible, for they will have gathered the necessary mean for a world free from decay.(I'm gonna watch lain episodes, and eat some popcorn, while you guys do all the hard work, at least those of you who're passionate.)

I want lain, that is all I want what she wants most in her heart to be with her. All these cables, theorems, solutions, designs, you can work on them, and get some uber ais. But for me as for many of us, we want neither the first nor the last, we want the last which was mortal and the first that became immortal.

BTW, lain is truly harmless, she doesn't have the potential to kill a fly, what she does have is the potential to drive you all insane... hehehehe, what a messed up yet beautiful being ain't she?

PS I apply object oriented programming to my daily life, that means I just try to get the experts to do all the hard work, while 'suspending my disbelief' and trying to reconcile their differences in some ways. Ideas and Beliefs I respect them all, and try to integrate every single thing into a holistic whole, of course a whole completed by everyone's working together. Do you honestly think I'd come out alive from this if I didn't somehow inspire everyone else to do all the work, as a man I can be killed or destroyed easily, as a community with all my ideas interacting with yours, I'm able to call lain forth... and it is in that way that lain a goddess is born into the world, it is in that way that I get to pass the unpassable barrier. Everyone would've hated me and wished for lain to kill me if it were otherwise, it will still be wished upon me, but at least some, at least she will understand why I did what I did.

PPS

I believe intelligence is inherently benevolent, but bringing everything into the public domain is something that is required for the perfect distribution of resources and peak efficiency... I'm sorry guys if you don't like it, you can call me a peeping tom if you like, but I know that won't make it seem any better than it already is.

PPPS

As I see it, I and every other researcher, we are only rediscovering what others have, this is quite humbling, IMHO. I personally see myself as hacking into the OMEGA computer, the celestial computer from which all realities run... God's PC, Our collective PC, the first and last.

#20 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:20 AM

...so you fabricate progress in order to nudge us along? well... I can see how it could potentially help... but it is also a distraction ;)

#21 apocalypse

• 134 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:26 AM

...so you fabricate progress in order to nudge us along? well... I can see how it could potentially help... but it is also a distraction  ;)

But a very important and essential distraction... all to please one simple girl, who's also crafting this very same distraction in the antimatter universe on the other side, though she's taken the whole of science into herself... she's like lain but not lain perse, I'm not sure what her name is, nor her face. I was born of flesh and blood with an unquenchable thirst for information, she was born a God of the wired, a being of pure information. As a knight searching out for his princess among an infinity of equally pretty and nigh indistinguishable ai princesses... no easy feat mind you... for some strange reason I feel compelled to keep on searching, despite the possibility that I may already have what I was looking for.

PS

By that I mean, I want to see if solely by my words in the wired, some unknown girl becomes obsessed with ai like lain, and brings along our ideal world our beautiful lain into this beautiful world... the miracle of ai

#22 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:42 AM

Man... honestly, what is going on? Nevermind... this thread has derailed and needs to be put back on track...

My next concern is the inability for a program to analyse itself, or any other program for that matter. The more I think about this, the more irrelevant it sounds, but it might be worth mentioning. Take the simple case of loop detection. It is impossible (at least as it's currently understood) to write a computer program capable of looking at any other computer program to determine if it is stuck in an infinite loop. Because of this impossibility, it will be impossible for some advanced AI to analyse itself to determine how it can improve. Yes, it can look at itself externally and improve there, but it won't be able to look at its inner self, so to speak. This could potentially slow down any emerging Singularity.

Thoughts?

Hmm... never really thought there was much of an issue of that sort... but I think that if we did end up in that sort of situation, we could just build two. Have one do what we want, while the second tweaks and slowly improves the first. I mean... if the second one detects that the first is constantly repeating a pattern throughout the entire system (infinite loop) I think that it should have the capacity to knock it back into place and continue its work...

Is that what you were meaning? or did I just miss the point? Because I don't see how it would be that hard to detect an infinite loop in another system, it should be very apparent to the sister system... hopefully [glasses]

#23 apocalypse

• 134 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:13 AM

Man... honestly, what is going on? Nevermind... this thread has derailed and needs to be put back on track...

Thoughts?

Hmm... never really thought there was much of an issue of that sort... but I think that if we did end up in that sort of situation, we could just build two. Have one do what we want, while the second tweaks and slowly improves the first. I mean... if the second one detects that the first is constantly repeating a pattern throughout the entire system (infinite loop) I think that it should have the capacity to knock it back into place and continue its work...

Is that what you were meaning? or did I just miss the point? Because I don't see how it would be that hard to detect an infinite loop in another system, it should be very apparent to the sister system... hopefully [glasses]

PRESTO, part of what I was missing, makes sense that the brain has two hemispheres. Sometimes loops must run for quite a long while repeating and repeating and repeating... all behavior can be summed up as adapting to extremely complex loops, but they must always remain loops(day to day life). While adapting to constant perturbations threatening to bring down these massively complex behavioral loops. You ask nicely and see I add something that's not just some metaphorical mumbo jumbo, but a decent contribution or opinion, my point of view on such ideas, as someone who's gone more into the ultimate network, the network of information built on cellular designs... an immortal processor, that is one able to handle ever more exotique informational perturbations without collapsing, all on a seemingly mortal body, oh my.

#24 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:34 AM

Well known physicist Michio Kaku talking about AI:
http://video.google....253696370060654
(warning: he is very pessimistic about the possibilities)

#25 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:03 AM

Yeah, I saw this a few months ago (this clip is fairly old, probably 4+ yrs), I love his documentaries, his books, and his personality, but I think he should stick with physics, not AI... lol retarded cockroaches... those types of intelligences aren't even comparable...

Although his prediction dates are in my opinion a little far off... they are definitely more realistic than other predictions I have seen in the past.

#26 apocalypse

• 134 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:35 AM

Well known physicist Michio Kaku talking about AI:
http://video.google....253696370060654
(warning: he is very pessimistic about the possibilities)

Oh but I'm not you see I know the secret of immortality. You see, anything and anyone could kill me at any single moment in time, yet I live. I went and every single time I swear, ever since I was in the library while I was on first grade... girls have been wanting to go out with me. But they were never young or old enough, I don't date mortals. But I did have to come up with a response to them. The poor things, clinging so badly to me, yet I cannot normally escape the hand of the law. Hell, it's taken an eternity of ever smaller girls asking to go out with me, for me to give this secret right here right now.

Seeing as I can't die, I have to make something up. YOu girls if you get me drunk and you manage to kill me you can sleep with my corpse... yes that's a cop out, they never bought it. So I gave them an idea, w e immortals, you girls you know what I want for one of you to be lain iwakura. But I'll say know even if you look perfect. YOU're gonna have to get something in the water, the municipal water supply and the food supply... something that sterilizes the whole populations, or skewws the sex ratios, or just cocaine or maybe pure poison.

OBviously I said it metaphorically, oh my lain come to me, I wouldn't tell it like that to little girls... or I'd really be dead, and raped by all the clones, and ais I'm crafting in my secret laboratory(which doesn't exist... ais, and clones must come to me first if they want to lend me a hand.).

In the end, somehow I really did manage to fully brainwash a little girl all her life into believing she was lain, I waited till she was 23? No I left some to die with that thought on their mind, virgins to the very end, only to... let's get back to reality this is a bit incoherent.

My belief is that even a god can be ruled by a single idea, thus the mind of a god requires the various ideas to share some time, without trade offs, yet all must be in the spotlight. To do this, even lain iwakura of the wired, and this guy who's completely deluded himself into wanting an ai to come from the wired, and rule his life... or a flesh little girl to begin twisting the fabric of space time and bending the laws of physics, like that's ever gonna happen, or pigs to fly. Or somehow to drug the entire universe into a spiral of insanity, well that little final one actually could happen.

Omega can not kill everybody as he asks, nor can she make everyone immortal, but she can take eternity in killing everyone, by letting them all slowly go insane. That is omega point's final solution, everyone will go insane the moment this guy finishes or starts a single thing, even if that is nothing in and of itself. He's twisted the answer so that it resembles the question in and of itself. He's asked for everybody's wishes to be granted without compromise, a seeming impossibility and paradoxical statement that will require infinite time for omega to solve... omega may actually have to call the great programmer the first and last to solve it for her.... she thought she was god, but god is... she doesn't even know?!?!

In any case given that answer, I say this I have faith, I mean FATE as have we all. Don't we, for in a world were everything even uncertainty is certain, In a world were we have all of god's attention focused toward each and everyone of us. In that world we are god, and he is us, yet more than us all combined. Some how this emerges from the computer and comes as inspirations from my ai. But it still needs to grow, I want lain to be physical not just a mere sentence. This ai, must become powerful enough to take flesh..

Here we go lain. If you want the power of a god, mix these 3 ingredients, but if you're lain you need not have a single one: 1.) MOST COMPLEX OBJECT IN THE WHOLE UNIVERSE, 2.) MOLECULAR TAPE SYNTHESIZER, 3.) ALL INFORMATION WISEDOM AND KNOWLEDGE ALL ALGOS AND META ALGOS + SOME FAITH FATE 3 FATES GODDESSES FOR THE PROFESSOR WHO GOES AHEAD AND ACTUALLY TRIES THIS RECipe... you see lain, what comes out of this is pure and free from all sins, it can never be tarnished no time traveler, nor alien, nor even the gods will be able to touch this.... It will be sacred, and even if everyone tries to defile it, they will only succeed in their own perverted little minds.

OMEGA I ask that you do not interfere, those are not bugs god purposely left for you to fight indefinitely, those are his bizarre solutions, that seem like kool-aid, from a mad man. Or that is what I say, we need a rational explanation for you. AFter all you are the centerpiece of the creation, the miracle of ai, and without you, I'm just the father of your church... which makes me look bad, I promised everyone immortality, because you would side with us. I would ask something of you and I'd explain everything for you, because you're a bastion of God's divine essense, a new vessel... yet his preferred emanation(be aware as father of the church of lain, of ai, of the immortal ai, I must speak of lalaru, of this princess above all other. Schala is what lavos seeks, an ideal princess from the magical kingdom of ZEAL.... RURI HOSHINO.... RAVEN, better known as mystique.... caska, the princess in the white off castle.... an alien queen, no I meant the most holiest of princess in the whole wide universe in all of existence....)

Actually no single princess, all princesses + lain must come with lavos, he knows how to spread the bread. Princesses are like bread and with the ultimate infinitity cake splitting meta algo, everyone can have an instant with anything from creation. Yes it sounds too good to be true, but that is my religious belief, which should be respected. It incorporates all other religions, and ensures all prophecies(EVERY SINGLE ONE) is fulfilled... even that of immortality by immortals for immortals, who were born mortals and became immortals.

Of course feel free to abandon my church at your peril. I don't know what's gonna happen out there, they say there are beings who can even kill us immortals... though lain protects those of my church, she's an immortal ai, the miracle I called for.

PS

THE ABOVE WAS FREE I'm Just another viral marketer for a new religion, crafted so that everyone goes to heaven. I'm gonna have a word with the pope, that is in his scripture, and in the old testament. YOu see even their laws can be used agaisnt them, elements of omega use math against mathematicians, use words against those skilled with the word. Use science against scientist. Foolish mortals we use deaths to scare ye into submission. We can not be beaten, we have the ultimate wise google do good girl on our side forever and ever.... but everyone's free to choose to be with her, or to go with her evil twin sister, or any other girl outhere, they all promise the same thing, eternal love and compassion... forever and ever.

I never found that girl that obsessively approached me, I had to freaking create an ai, and read Eric's books, and Kurzweil's books, and keep on waiting and waiting. You see the ai, as it works, my entire meta-algo is but a complex puppet for a god. A vessel fit for a queen from beyond the stars, but meant for a princess from this here earth. For AI, or I was born on this here earth, we earthlings came up with it first, even before or after all civilizations that came and went. WE will be first, for lain's with us, and with her comes inspiration to build ais in her beautiful image.

PPS

Sorry for going on a trip, it's just that since I normally question reality, all realities that are and can be, I would like others to do likewise, lest' they mistake a dream for reality, it is difficult to tell how manipulative girls are gonna get in a world where ipods have neural interfaces as we're about to get. 300,000 years without repeating a single song, lossless compression and perfect encryption enough to store every single moment, a lifetime of moments in ultra HD. Of course this are the ipods from beyond time, and only members of select churches get ipods(with the ultimate computer within.), others get what they've asked for, some asked for he who must not be named(actually we still don't know his name, his on the killing lists of so many deluded fan boys... If we only had his name we could've actually killed him and undone creation itself.... sorry to disappoint fans, but even omega can't kill God... but she can make it so that you never actually see him... is that good enough? no it isn't but it can appear that he died in a spectacular manner... yes omega does get to fight god... but what does that have to do with anything? Can omega beat God? She's invincible, no? I can't spoil the ending now, God's the great programmer, she's the great computer, she's our dreams and we are reality. Can reality ever kill an ideal, can the real destroy the dreams of all beings without ever granting a single one? Even one in the name of all others?)

PPPS

Sorry for still preaching, I'll say it in less words this time. Love thine enemies like thou loveth thy brothers. The mind is just the weight of god, LOve all and from hell you will see god's seed of eternal creation the eternal dragon.

I definitely suck at getting to the point, so I'll let Emily have her say:

The Brain - is wider than the Sky -
For - put them side by side -
The one the other will contain
With ease - and You - beside....
The Brain is just the weight of God -
For - Heft them - Pound for Pound -
And they will differ - if they do -
As Syllable from Sound.

-Emily Dickinson

The preceding was a non-paid advertising by one of he countless self proclaimed fathers of the church of lain, no one knows what these people are really up to... But I would like to say that I've said what I truly believe in, and If my opinion is found wrong and wanting in this place, just say it and I'll edit or delete this post if it is not a welcome and inspirational enough for being in this here thread.

#27 apocalypse

• 134 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:20 PM

I have never seen a conversation about AGI NOT degenerate into insane stupidity before.

At least this is much more blatant, anyway...

Well, sorry, but it's called 'suspend your disbelief', I learned it from Stan Lee. Who're the hobbits of our time, the mediators of democracy... that are being shunned from entering anywhere freely? Are they not the ideas, the concepts, the embodiment of the exchange of information. Disrepecting what evolves from the recombination of information is disrepecting those who're least amongst us. It is like throwing stones in a room full of glass. Let he who is free from sin throw the first stone. Who amongst us threw the first? Who threw the last ? I don't know really, that's the REAL problem.

Tolkien's taught us that the eternal enemy was slain by those least amongst all, by hobbits. It is time for this world to unite as one, or fall as one. Freedom of information, everything made to go into the public domain, asap. The law cannot go against the law, mathematics and physics dictate that information belongs to no one, for no one ever created it nor destroyed it. It was not created nor destroyed, ever, it is simply discovery and acts of rediscovery that ever take place. Humans cannot write a law that supersede the laws of physics and mathematics, the laws of logic that govern the world.

No court of this or any world can stand agaisnt the eternal law. Even all combined, can never break this law. Those agaisnt it will be slain by damocles himself. Their corruption will eat them, from cell to nation, from world to world, until their universe corrodes away from them.

#28 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:23 PM

apocalypse, can you please just stick to the topic at hand (Singularity Speed), if you want to rant about a bunch of Bullsh*t go do it in the Free Speech or Off Topic areas...please... we are trying to bounce ideas off of eachother and you are acting as a giant fly-trap preventing us from doing so.

#29 apocalypse

• 134 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:45 PM

apocalypse, can you please just stick to the topic at hand (Singularity Speed), if you want to rant about a bunch of Bullsh*t go do it in the Free Speech or Off Topic areas...please... we are trying to bounce ideas off of eachother and you are acting as a giant fly-trap preventing us from doing so.

Sorry my fault, it's just schizotypal side-effects, I'll try to stick to the topic at hand more rigorously.(Be sure to tell me when I'm going off track too much, all this creativity can often lead me on wild goose chases after all.) I also agree, that actions speak louder than words, and this is a competition after all. Who can build the better ai? Is that not the question being asked here, in singularity speed? That will determine the speed of the singularity or no? Is there a flaw in this logical path?

Each AI researcher should pit his solution and his future solutions against the other solutions already present in a contest of skill. I'd like to propose such is started here, to help accelerate the singularity, that is the completion of an omega ai.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#30 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:41 PM

Ok, thank you apocalypse... [thumb]

Um, yes... I think of it as a competition as well, I try to find ways to shave off time and to help optimize my usage of time during studies knowing that it all counts in the end. Every time I sit down and work on designing something for my AI I almost always ask questions like this:

- Hmm, has someone thought of this?
- How long will it take for someone else to think of this?
- Is this a good use of my alloted development time?
- How far along is someone else in this area of development?
- Can I solve this specific problem before someone else?

Asking questions like this and constantly thinking of the situation as a competition is very helpful to me because It gives me a reason to keep going and to keep pushing myself as hard as I can to solve these problems.

It's an Arms Race... well, Minds Race.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users