Photo
- - - - -

Piracetam and St John Wort or SSRI?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 reflexus

• 18 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:50 AM

Can we mix piracetam with st John Wort or with some SSRI ? Will they interact with each other??

Please provide professional and knowledged question.

Thank you in advance.

#2 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:11 PM

they wont interact, both work on differend neurotransmitters

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ikaros

• 334 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:28 PM

I've taken simultaneously both a SSRI and piracetam. I ended up with hypomanic episode...don't know if it was the synergy, but I was pretty agitated yes..v-vve-rr-y.

#4 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:14 PM

Piracetam synergises with most or perhaps all other drugs, in my experience. You will need less alcohol to get drunk and may have to scale back certain other things. It does not surprise me that it would do the same thing with an SSRI. Keep that in mind if you are taking prescription drugs. But if used right it saves you money because you need less of the drug.

#5 reflexus

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:24 AM

So, is it recommended to take them both or not recommended?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 jeromewilson

• 153 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:43 PM

Hmm, I'm not sure anyone here can or should give you the kind of absolute answer you're looking for - they can share their knowledge and experiences so you can make an informed decision.

If you'd like someone to tell you exatly what to do, talk to your doctor. I imagine they'll say - "don't take piracetam because I don't know anything about it, only take the drugs the pharmaceutial companies tell me to give you".

Please don't take that as a recommendation either way, though.

My basic understanding is that SSRIs don't affect the same neurotransmitters as piracetam (serotonin / acetylcholine) so I can't see any immediate reason to aviod taking both together. There's doubtless a lot more to it than that though!

In fact I'm taking escitalopram at the moment and I've got an old stash of piracetam so I might give it a shot, starting very small. That's just me though.

If you do try it, watch out for anxiety (not because of the combination necessarily, just because that's what I've experienced with piracetam alone in the past).

Wish I could be more helpful ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users