• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Democratic nomination for president of the US?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Who would you vote for to be the Democratic nomination for president of the United States? (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Who would you vote for to be the Democratic nomination for president of the United States?

1. John Edwards (2 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

2. Barack Obama (13 votes [48.15%])

Percentage of vote: 48.15%

3. Tom Vilsack (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Hillary Clinton (2 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

5. Joe Biden (0 votes [0.00%])

6. John Kerry (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Wesley Clark (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

8. Bill Richardson (1 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

9. Chris Dodd (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Dennis Kucinich (1 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

11. Undecided (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:14 AM

I know it is a little early, but you can't hardly turn on the news (in the US anyway) without hearing something about the upcoming primaries. I know that some of the people outside the US have no idea what this is, but who would you vote for to be the Democratic nominee for president in the 2008 election?

Comments welcome..

#2 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:48 AM

Honestly...I'm not too excited about any of the Democratic candidates

I loved Bill...but I hate Hillary (she has that effect)

Obama - I don't see it happening

John Edwards could prob pull some Republican voters in a presdential race

After him I reallly have to see some of more of all of these guys

What I really see happening is that Hillary wins the Democratic Primary and pulls in Obama has her VP - That would be a scary ticket for Republican voters

#3 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:55 AM

What I really see happening is that Hillary wins the Democratic Primary and pulls in Obama has her VP - That would be a scary ticket for Republican voters

indeed it would.

as would a mcain/gulliani ticket for the dems. [:o] the prospect of a war hero/hero on terrorist struck NY combo, would send dems searching for the nearest samurai sword to commit sepeku with.(ceremonial suicide in which the samurai is disemboweled).

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:43 AM

That is indeed a scary mofo [thumb]

But I think because of the ages of McCain and Giuliani and the massive egos involved...It would have less possibility of occurring

Obama is still young and didn't have the same exposure as Giulianni (I assume he has less ego - he definately has less credentials) - This would set him up nicely for VP at a young age and Dem support when Hillary's Term is up

It ain't a half bad proposition for him

Edited by shadowrun, 14 February 2007 - 05:19 AM.

#5 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:19 AM

I know he is new, but every time I hear Obama talk, I am very impressed.

#6 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:21 AM

Hey Where's Al Gore

I'd vote for him over Hillary

#7 kent23

• 146 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:29 AM

I'm supporting Obama.

Barack Obama is a big supporter of the revolution
in personalized medicine...

http://www.barackoba...ues/healthcare/

http://www.affymetri...obama_bill.affx
"Specifically, the proposed legislation would allocate $150 million
for genomics research and provide a 100 percent tax credit for
private research to develop diagnostic tests that can improve the
effectiveness or safety of certain drugs."

Text of the bill itself:
http://www.theorator...s109/s3822.html

Unfortunately, the bill did not pass- but will be re-introduced next
year.
http://www.sptimes.c...earch_cat.shtml
Imagine, a presidential candidate who can at least *sound* intelligent
talking about pharmacogenomics!

And I was very pleased to hear a very direct call for more funding for
science in his announcement speech in Illinois last weekend.

#8 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:30 AM

Hey Where's Al Gore

I'd vote for him over Hillary

I was debating whether to put him in there, (as well as Joe Lieberman) but he keeps saying he isn't running, so I confined it to people who have declared their intentions to run so far.

#9 biknut

• 1,892 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:10 AM

Hopefully the Democrats will loose. None of them can control their mouths, and stop saying stupid things. Kerry blew it with his dumb mouth. Obama just opened his mouth on Monday and said the lives of U.S. soldiers killed in Iraq were wasted. I can't imagine how he thought that would help get any votes. Now he's apologizing and trying to take back his words.

Hillary says so many stupid things you loose count. Like the true commie she is, she said a couple of weeks a go that she would take away the exxon profits and use them to pay for health care or something.

#10 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:13 AM

Anyone see a Gore/Obama ticket?

#11 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:01 PM

Anyone see a Gore/Obama ticket?

That would be an interesting combo. Who would be in what slot though?

#12 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:24 AM

Obama would be smart to attach himself as a VP to a frontrunner
I don't see him having enough pull at this stage in his career
A stint as VP would position him better
As it currently is I think he would carry only the more progressive Democrats in highly liberal states -
I beleive I even read somewhere that the African American community is more interested in supporting Hillary than Obama

#13 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:20 PM

Obama is a bit on the green side, but unfortunately I think that is the only way someone from the Senate is electable in today's environment. If you are there too long, you amass a long voting record that your opponents use against you.

#14 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:05 PM

Neither Obama or Hillary has a chance of winning and only those two have any chance at the demo nomination. That means the repubs have a nearly sure thing in 08. Hill is a whack job liberal that only the extreme lefties can stomach. No way the country is going to vote for her. Obama says a lot of good things but is young and black. Now before you all start howling at me, stop to consider that no black has ever been elected president or vice president. No black has ever won a major nomination, or any nomination that I'm aware of. His chances of winning should he get the nod are slim and none. Those two are the only ones who seem to be able to get any traction and there just is not enough support for any other candidate right now on the demo side. Therefore, the repubs have an easy win. Sorry.

Vote green or libertarian and stop wasting your vote!

#15 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:04 PM

Neither Obama or Hillary has a chance of winning and only those two have any chance at the demo nomination. That means the repubs have a nearly sure thing in 08. Hill is a whack job liberal that only the extreme lefties can stomach. No way the country is going to vote for her. Obama says a lot of good things but is young and black. Now before you all start howling at me, stop to consider that no black has ever been elected president or vice president. No black has ever won a major nomination, or any nomination that I'm aware of. His chances of winning should he get the nod are slim and none. Those two are the only ones who seem to be able to get any traction and there just is not enough support for any other candidate right now on the demo side. Therefore, the repubs have an easy win. Sorry.

Vote green or libertarian and stop wasting your vote!

Depends on who the Republicans nominate, and how things are going in Iraq. As it stands now, anyone that opposes the war has a built in advantage in the general election. (of course that could change, but if the 2006 mid term elections were any indication, the Dems might have a good shot at the White House)

#16 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:36 PM

Hillary can win the demo nomination with a plurality of the demo vote. The extreme left can carry her to the nomination against a fractured field. The left can not make her win in the general election. Extreme leftists did not win in 06 and the disgust with Iraq, which fueled the 06 turn around will not help Hillary. She did vote for the war and has not fully repudiated that vote. Many still remember her attempt to nationalize health care. She is not someone I would want to see running things. I have only touched on some of her negatives. If the only choices were Hill or Obama, I'd take Obama. He at least says the right things, Hill doesn't even do that. Despite decades of liberal advances, a black can not be elected at this point in time. That's why I say the demos are on a collision course with disaster and no one can talk them out of it.

Anyone care to bet on D vs R in 08?

#17 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:21 PM

Hillary can win the demo nomination with a plurality of the demo vote. The extreme left can carry her to the nomination against a fractured field. The left can not make her win in the general election. Extreme leftists did not win in 06 and the disgust with Iraq, which fueled the 06 turn around will not help Hillary. She did vote for the war and has not fully repudiated that vote. Many still remember her attempt to nationalize health care. She is not someone I would want to see running things. I have only touched on some of her negatives. If the only choices were Hill or Obama, I'd take Obama. He at least says the right things, Hill doesn't even do that. Despite decades of liberal advances, a black can not be elected at this point in time. That's why I say the demos are on a collision course with disaster and no one can talk them out of it.

Anyone care to bet on D vs R in 08?

I agree with you about Hillary, but not necessarily about Obama. In any event we will just have to wait and see.

If you really want to bet on political elections, you can go to InTrade (which is under the same banner as TradeSports, but for things other than sports). It is basically something similar to a stock market where people can buy "stock" in lots of different things (sports, politics, legal, etc.). (to see the politics, click on "Politics" on the lefthand side) It looks like the Dems are currently trading at about 57 and the Republicans are only at about 42. (everything is out of 100; for instance if you bet on the Republicans, each share would be $42, but if they won you would get $100, or you could sell it at a higher or lower price before the election and make or lose money) If you are really certain, you can make some serious money if you bought enough shares.

(I think they were 100% accurate in predicting the outcomes of the 2006 elections, btw, although that was right before the elections, they will fluctuate a lot before then)

Since this is the Democratic nomination thread, here are the current top 4 in the Democratic primary market (based on last trade):
2008DEM.NOM.CLINTON 51.9
2008DEM.NOM.OBAMA 23.0
2008DEM.NOM.EDWARDS 12.5
2008DEM.NOM.GORE 6.6

Interesting since Gore still hasn't declared he is running.

#18 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:47 PM

Hopefully Biden. Obama 2nd

#19 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:47 PM

Obama is marginally palatable.

Hillary makes my skin crawl, but I would still consider voting for her over a right wing ideolog like a Santorum.

#20 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:15 PM

How about Hillary/Obama 08?!?

A ticket that features a woman and a black man...the South would be seceding from the Union again! [g:)]

#21 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 07:46 PM

Mike Gravel

#22 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 11:12 PM

Mike Gravel

He is from Alaska, correct?

I bet he isn't too worried about global warming.

#23 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:57 AM

Alaskans seem to be more worried than most people. They are already seeing significant effects, having to move entire villages, stuff like that.

#24 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:10 AM

Alaskans seem to be more worried than most people.  They are already seeing significant effects, having to move entire villages, stuff like that.

Yes, I agree. It was just my lame attempt at humor.

#25 swami17

• 8 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:01 AM

After the South Carolina debate, my opinions of the candidates have been completely turned upside down. The three front-runners all lacked both passion and eloquence. Biden and, believe it or not, Kucinich, showed up with strength, charisman, and actual ideas, rather than regurgitated platitudes. Now I want to know more about both of them.

I've been rooting for Edwards, since his wife's illness leads me to suspect that he'd be the most agressive candidate in actively seeking cures to diseases. I still think that might be the case, but I'm now doubting his ability to show up for the general election as a formidable foe for the Republicans.

Do you guys know whether anyone has done any kind of an analysis about who would be the best president on issues that support healthy extreme life-extension? I don't know how exactly you'd determine it. Maybe looking at which candidate would spend the most money on scientific research.

I'd love to hear any thoughts you guys have.

#26 struct

• 565 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:34 AM

I wonder what black women will go for? Hillary or Obama!!!??

#27 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:38 AM

I've been rooting for Edwards, since his wife's illness leads me to suspect that he'd be the most agressive candidate in actively seeking cures to diseases.

That's an interesting idea. [thumb]

#28 struct

• 565 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:38 AM

I have been living in USA for about 11 years (I guess I am an '11 year old american') but still considered as an alien; so I can't vote (like I give a damn about voting!). Technically I can't be a US citizen unless I lie. An alien in order to be a US citizen, among other things, has to say "so please help me God!" In my case, I abhor the word 'God' and although I try to be flexible and not be too serious about some things I just can't do that (saying 'please help me God'). I wonder how do american atheists (born as americans) deal with the fact that their government does not recognize them as 'true' citizens. Being an american implies that you believe in god. 'In God We Trust' they say; I assume every american believes in God (or lies about it, or is not well-represented).
Anyways back to voting.
I voted Clark but not too excited about it.

#29 swami17

• 8 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:58 AM

The framers of the US Constitution tried their best to make it clear that church and state should be separate. But unfortunately, religious people in the US have always seen fit to spit on the graves of our forefathers at every turn. "In God We Trust" was added to American currency - almost a century after the constitution was ratified - by religious zealots who, like they do today, had undue control over our government. It was on US coins, not bills, until The McCarthy era, when the most immoral Congress in our history put the religious slogan on our paper currency.

The slogan the framers had originally intended for our currence was "E Pluribus Unum" which means "out of many, (come) one." Basically this is a country set up with noble principles that has a history of falling victim to corrupt religious people seeking to twist our nation into a theocracy. That being said, I do believe that as an atheist, you can swear in at legal proceedings by saying "I affirm" rather than "so help me God." It doesn't seem like you care all that much about becoming officially a citizen, but if you ever change your mind, you might want to research that possiblity. I for one, would like to have more people like you voting. We need the help.

#30 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:48 AM

I like Edwards and I certainly do think his wife's circumstance will influence his decision to fund medical research. I think Edwards would be the best candidate. I think Hillary and Obama will turn too many people off, mostly southern rednecks which could jeopardize the next election. That is not to say that they are not as good choices, I just think that Edwards is more electable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users