• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Anything worth taking short term to increase GABA?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 jay_uk

• 5 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:28 PM

Hi guys.

I'm a newbie, I've read 'the edge effect' and the questionnaire suggested I have a big GABA deficiency. I gather from another thread that this is quite common.

I'm going to do all the dietary stuff, but are there any good substances to take in the short term? Braverman mentions stuff like lorazepam, alprazolam which I'd probably steer clear of even if I could buy it.

Phenibut?

Cheers, Jay

Edited by jay_uk, 14 February 2007 - 06:45 PM.

#2 boilerroom

• 88 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:12 PM

I'd try theanine first; 100-200 mg take three times a day. Look for theanine produced by Suntheanine or regular theanine produced by a reputable company such as Jarrow. The effects are subtle but noticeable.

You could also try Ashwagandha. Look for the Senoril kind.

I would be careful self-diagnosing from these type of tests. What kind of problems do you have that would justify a GABA problem?? Anxiety? Social Phobia??
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1
  • Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 superpooper

• 190 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:16 AM

Inositol and Theanine are the 2 best GABA supplements but you should really base your decision on how you want serotonin to be effected.

Inositol is supposed to have an SSRI LIKE effect. So it's going to be pro-serotonin.

Theanine reduces serotonin to some extent. So if you have problems with too much serotonin go with theanine.

#4 jay_uk

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for that. I scored low on seratonin as well, so will give the inositol a go.

I have both anxiety and social phobia. I agree self diagnosis can be misleading, but from reading the whole book as well as the test, I hope I have a clear picture. It rings true anyway.

Cheers, Jay

#5 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:45 PM

Studies have shown benefits from inositol but I used it for several weeks at about 12gm per day with little to no effect. Phenibut works but tolerance develops quickly. Theanine has a mild effect and is expensive. There seems to be no good answer

#6 jay_uk

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:49 PM

I've just ordered some ortho core multivitamins with a decent amount of inositol, so I'll see how that goes. I've got some phenibut to try for one off occasions as well. Hopefully that and the diet will get things under control a bit.

• Lurker

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:30 PM

Why not take some GABA supplements then. I think taking GABA alone may not be enough. You might consider taking taurine, GABA and glycine. Those are the three main inhibitory neurotransmitters.

Of course you need to have enough vitamin b6 for any amino acid to function properly. Other nutrients too, but b6 is more important than others.

If you have low serotonin levels then you should take tryptophan. Tryptophan is now available, the ban has been lifted.

#8 graatch

• 390 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 06:56 PM

hey...do a search of user frangible's posts on m&m regarding meditation. incredibly beneficial practice. gaba substances develop tolerance quickly

remember to take braverman w/ a grain of salt

#9 abelard lindsay

• 873 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:50 AM

I'd suggest taking bulk GABA from Bulk Nutrition. Works like a charm.. Tastes pretty good too, kinda buttery/sugary tasting and super cheap. L-Glutamine is good and seems to work over a longer period of time, at least for me.

#10 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:42 PM

If it works for you, fine. It may be the placebo effect. I bought kilos of gaba, inositol and taurine and took around 10gm or so of each per day for a while to see how it worked. It gave a tiny sedative effect, perhaps more at first than later, but it did not seem worth the bother. Others have said the same about gaba. I'd say the majority found no effect at all with gaba. I haven't tried l. glutamine but I'd like to hear from someone else that it worked first before I tried it.

#11 cesium

• 138 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:43 PM

Possible anxiolytic effects of chrysin, a central benzodiazepine receptor ligand isolated from Passiflora coerulea.

#12 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:35 PM

Have you used this, cesium? Does it give tolerance or can you use it long term? It sounds interesting but I could not find it bulk and it's not cheap. It also seems to raise testosterone and lower estrogen.

#13 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:44 AM

Maybe try valerian root: http://ods.od.nih.go...Valerian.asp#h6. I've read differing viewpoints as to whether supplemental GABA actually crosses the blood-brain barrier, but valerian seems to be a natural method of increasing GABA levels.

Studies have shown benefits from inositol but I used it for several weeks at about 12gm per day with little to no effect.

If it works for you, fine. It may be the placebo effect. I bought kilos of gaba, inositol and taurine and took around 10gm or so of each per day for a while to see how it worked. It gave a tiny sedative effect, perhaps more at first than later, but it did not seem worth the bother. Others have said the same about gaba. I'd say the majority found no effect at all with gaba. I haven't tried l. glutamine but I'd like to hear from someone else that it worked first before I tried it.

It's probably just your biochemcial individuality. Inositol definitely has an effect on me, although I have to say I'm not sure if I like it-- and the studies make it clear that it is having a measurable effect.

#14 superpooper

• 190 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:06 AM

Maybe try valerian root: http://ods.od.nih.go...Valerian.asp#h6. I've read differing viewpoints as to whether supplemental GABA actually crosses the blood-brain barrier, but valerian seems to be a natural method of increasing GABA levels.

That's surprising that it actually increases GABA levels. I always thought it just stimulated the receptors. I'm pretty sure it stimulates serotonin receptors.

#15 superpooper

• 190 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:44 AM

Stomach contents might effect inositol by the way.

#16 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:51 PM

I've seen the studies showing an effect with inositol. I'm just saying it did little for me. Valerian root runs into tolerance issues same as valium, which is related to compounds found in the root. Chrysin sounds very interesting but no one here seems to know anything about it. The body builders know about it. I'd like to collect more info before jumping into something like that. I've found that eating baked potatoes gives a better mood. I'm not sure why but they don't give food cravings or sugar highs so I still eat them but not every day. Avoid potato snacks like french fries or chips because they are high in bad fats and additives.

#17 graatch

• 390 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:19 PM

* Social phobia/anxiety should be solved with therapy and desensitization.

* Long-term, try more sustainable strategies for stress like exercise, meditation, and yoga.

#18 jay_uk

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:12 AM

hey...do a search of user frangible's posts on m&m regarding meditation. incredibly beneficial practice.

Thanks for that I did a search but did not find much specific info. I've started doing mindfullness meditation again...are there any other practises worth looking into?

gaba substances develop tolerance quickly

Is this also true for the vitamins like inositol?

Thanks to everyone for the other answers about supplements. I'm confused about what to try first, so I think I'll start on the vitamins and see how that goes, then maybe try things one by one.

Edited by chrono, 26 October 2010 - 09:56 AM.
fixed quote tag

#19 cesium

• 138 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:48 PM

No xanadu I haven't tried chrysin yet, I've only recently come across those studies cited myself. I lost interest in chrysin a few years ago (when I was interested in its effects on free testosterone) when I saw studies suggesting it was too poorly absorbed too have any positive effects. Just taking a second look at it myself in light of these more current studies.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:07 AM

I haven't heard mention of glutamic acid, since it's the precursor to GABA. Does taking glutamic acid increase brain GABA?
I see some products that include it. NOW has a glutathione product ("Glutathione is a tripeptide, consisting of the three amino acids, cysteine, glutamic acid, and glycine"), though it's billed as an immune system and liver booster, and includes milk thistle.

Country Life has a "Calcium Magnesium Zinc with L - Glutamic Acid" product.

NOW also sells the L isomer of GABA as a supplement, though I haven't yet found firm evidence that dietary GABA increases brain GABA.

I'm finding references that glutamic acid is a non-essential amino acid, so the body must be able to make GABA in other ways.

Here's an article that seems to me to be very well written and researched. It claims that increasing serotonin increases GABA too. That might be the safest route, as I'm leary of taking high oral doses of GABA in the hopes that some will cross the blood-brain barrier.

Stephen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users