cannabis

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#31 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:40 PM

Oh, what the hell

Lol. I like how everyone goes mental. Brawling with each other, jumping out of windows, etc. The scariest part, though, was the dude who was supposed to be the voice of reason in the propaganda film pointing at the camera at the end.

#32 graatch

• 390 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:16 AM

LOL @ ghostrider.

quote:AFAIK, Cannabis has no hallucinogenic properties beyond total subjectivity.

Uhm ... hallucinogenic effects are experienced subjectively.

A little quick browsing of the erowid cannabis trip reports disagrees with you. "Lacing" is extremely rare.

Cannabis can be an extremely powerful psychdelic at high dosages or in susceptible individuals.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:26 AM

If you don't think cannabis can be hallucinogenic, try eating a lot of it. Report back [!;)]

#34 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:47 AM

LOL @ ghostrider.

quote:AFAIK, Cannabis has no hallucinogenic properties beyond total subjectivity.

Uhm ... hallucinogenic effects are experienced subjectively.

Hallucinogenic effects are experienced differently. That doesn't mean because some people get wrecked off a joint that they're hallucinating. Let's not confuse "being really baked and having a weird body buzz" with "i'm both seeing things and hearing things that aren't there". The desire to eat chips is not a hallucination. I've only once heard of a visual hallucination in person, and if increased music appreciation is a hallucination - you'd better add coffee, tea, cigarettes, cheez whiz, and whole other bunch of shit to the now long list of hallucinogens.

Cannabis can be an extremely powerful psychdelic at high dosages or in susceptible individuals.

No doubt. It has some psychadelic properties in high doses, lightweights even more so, no debate there.

A little quick browsing of the erowid cannabis trip reports disagrees with you.  "Lacing" is extremely rare.

LOL [lol] The erowid trip reports disagree with themselves. For the few interesting and well written ones I've read, there's more by some skid who has done way too much of _insert drug here_ and recommends no one EVER does this again, ever since he tried to eat a dog and become the mayor of burgertown. And by "lacing", you mean lacing with another substance? Totally depends on geography.

#35 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:00 PM

Hallucinogenic effects are experienced differently. That doesn't mean because some people get wrecked off a joint that they're hallucinating. Let's not confuse "being really baked and having a weird body buzz" with "i'm both seeing things and hearing things that aren't there".

..Try friends faces twisting and inflating into nightmarish carnival heads, filling your vision. I'd say that is a fairly objective definition of a hallucination.

#36 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:06 PM

..Try friends faces twisting and inflating into nightmarish carnival heads, filling your vision. I'd say that is a fairly objective definition of a hallucination.

Okay, I'll try it. Like I said, I've only met one person who ever had this happen to them, and he was an attention seeking type who we all rolled our eyes at [wis]. Marijuana is not widely considered a hallucinogen because for the vast, vast majority of people, it does not give any hallucinogenic effects. Not going to bother splitting hairs over this...if you eat a couple ounces in a brownie pan, you might see some things, hear some things - this is not the way the majority of MJ is consumed. The original poster for this thread was concerned about smoking once or twice a week. If one hallucinates from smoking once or twice a week, they should probably stop.

Vivid hallucinations from marijuana is a pretty unique reaction and wouldn't surprise me as a spurious correlation.

Edited by mitkat, 19 April 2007 - 06:10 PM.

#37 graatch

• 390 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:51 AM

>Hallucinogenic effects are experienced differently. That doesn't mean because some people get wrecked off a joint that they're hallucinating. Let's not confuse "being really baked and having a weird body buzz" with "i'm both seeing things and hearing things that aren't there". The desire to eat chips is not a hallucination. I've only once heard of a visual hallucination in person, and if increased music appreciation is a hallucination - you'd better add coffee, tea, cigarettes, cheez whiz, and whole other bunch of shit to the now long list of hallucinogens.

What a sick-stupid post. Way to not address the point.

Boy, I've eaten plenty of acid in my 19 years, and I know what a hallucinogenic psychedelic is. We're talking about major changes in perception, visual changes.

>Like I said, I've only met one person who ever had this happen to them, and he was an attention seeking type who we all rolled our eyes at whis.gif. Marijuana is not widely considered a hallucinogen because for the vast, vast majority of people, it does not give any hallucinogenic effects ... Vivid hallucinations from marijuana is a pretty unique reaction and wouldn't surprise me as a spurious correlation.

I lived in Berkeley for a while, haven of the medicinal marijuana clubs, and I even managed an inside scoop on things with an older friend who manned the counter (little tip about those clubs is that just about anyone can get a license after a few months in town). Now this is high grade flowers/buds, bubble hash. And more than half of the circle I ran with, and many more at the clubs got visual hallucinogenic effects (and why the obsession with visuals over mental change?) extremely often, with this increasing to paranoid delusions at high dosages.

But -- that's just personal anecdote, huh? Like yours. Now, you consult pubmed and you'll find countless discussions of marijuana's hallucinogenic effects. You go to wikipedia and they've rightly grouped cannabis as a psychedelic. DEA (not that they know anything) calls it a hallucinogen.

And you go to erowid (who knows how your comment about it contradicting itself had the slightest fucking relevance here, since what I'm talking about is NUMEROUS INDIVIDUAL REPORTS CONFIRMING HALLUCINOGENIC EFFECTS -- that's not a point that can be contradicted by another report saying "I got really hungry" -- effects here are dose and sensitivity dependent, and much more common than you think) ... plenty there, and also this:

Q: Does marijuana make you hallucinate even if it isn't laced with anything?
A: Cannabis is rarely laced with anything. The main signs to look for if you suspect adulterants would be odd taste or smell, or a dramatic change in the duration of effects. As with most psychoactive drugs, cannabis can cause a wide variety of reactions in different people and at different times. There is also a broad range of potency and types of cannabis, which will cause different types of effects.

People definitely experience strong visual and mental effects with cannabis, rivaling anything one could experience with other psychedelics like LSD or mushrooms. Of course, most commonly the effects are not this strong. If you find yourself experiencing undesireably strong effects from smoking cannabis (you might be a person with a high sensitivity), you might want to try lowering your dosage.

peace,
fire

>If one hallucinates from smoking once or twice a week, they should probably stop.

Oh really. Why the **** should they accept your modality of use? Frankly, I don't like chilling out and getting munchies all that much. Now ... talking trees, I like.

I highly suggest you stop wasting your time with schawgg. Once you smoke fine herb, you'll never go back. ;)

#38 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:28 AM

I wouldn't put things quite as strongly as Graatch but it is fair to say that the purpose of this forum is to get everyone’s views, experiences and supporting evidence, and on this subject a number of individuals have said that cannabis has caused hallucinations, and I don't think they're/I'm saying it because their just looking for attention.

I'm 37, have a large family and run a successful IT/Quant Analyst Search and Selection firm. My big cannabis days are behind me, partly because I'm starting to find myself increasingly sounding like Nick Nolte in the mornings ie "I'm getting too old for this shit", but mainly because weed just gives me a combination of brain fog and lack of motivation the next morning. In business development and interviewing that's fatal. You just look at your "to-do" list and go "nope, not worth doing, don't fancy that...right what shall I do now". Weed is the king of procrastination.

That is my result from light smoking ie 1-3 times per week. Supplements? Well, as others have said, I haven't noticed permanent effects on memory (my short-term has always been rubbish), but to counter the brain fog and demotivation for the next day or so, low dose modafinil (ie 50-100mg, but I'm stimulant sensitive) in the morning helps. It is also helpful if you have a mild alcohol induced hangover but that's more to combat the poor sleep you get due to REM disruption.

#39 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:46 PM

I wouldn't put things quite as strongly as Graatch but it is fair to say that the purpose of this forum is to get everyone’s views, experiences and supporting evidence, and on this subject a number of individuals have said that cannabis has caused hallucinations, and I don't think they're/I'm saying it because their just looking for attention.

I'm 37, have a large family and run a successful IT/Quant Analyst Search and Selection firm. My big cannabis days are behind me, partly because I'm starting to find myself increasingly sounding like Nick Nolte in the mornings ie "I'm getting too old for this shit", but mainly because weed just gives me a combination of brain fog and lack of motivation the next morning. In business development and interviewing that's fatal. You just look at your "to-do" list and go "nope, not worth doing, don't fancy that...right what shall I do now". Weed is the king of procrastination.

That is my result from light smoking ie 1-3 times per week. Supplements? Well, as others have said, I haven't noticed permanent effects on memory (my short-term has always been rubbish), but to counter the brain fog and demotivation for the next day or so, low dose modafinil (ie 50-100mg, but I'm stimulant sensitive) in the morning helps. It is also helpful if you have a mild alcohol induced hangover but that's more to combat the poor sleep you get due to REM disruption.

Sentintel, by no stretch did I mean you were attention seeking - not at all. I was just relating my story of the character who was seeing geometric shapes...he made his hallucinations very hard to believe. Didn't mean to word that difficultly if I did.

#40 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:29 PM

>Hallucinogenic effects are experienced differently. That doesn't mean because some people get wrecked off a joint that they're hallucinating. Let's not confuse "being really baked and having a weird body buzz" with "i'm both seeing things and hearing things that aren't there". The desire to eat chips is not a hallucination. I've only once heard of a visual hallucination in person, and if increased music appreciation is a hallucination - you'd better add coffee, tea, cigarettes, cheez whiz, and whole other bunch of shit to the now long list of hallucinogens.

What a sick-stupid post.  Way to not address the point.

Boy, I've eaten plenty of acid in my 19 years, and I know what a hallucinogenic psychedelic is.  We're talking about major changes in perception, visual changes.

Sick-stupid post? Thanks! I try to stay cool with the young folk. [thumb]

I fail to see your point here. I'm addressing that if you're going to call weed a hallucinogen, you're going to have to start calling many, many other things hallucinogens also.

>Like I said, I've only met one person who ever had this happen to them, and he was an attention seeking type who we all rolled our eyes at whis.gif. Marijuana is not widely considered a hallucinogen because for the vast, vast majority of people, it does not give any hallucinogenic effects ... Vivid hallucinations from marijuana is a pretty unique reaction and wouldn't surprise me as a spurious correlation.

I lived in Berkeley for a while, haven of the medicinal marijuana clubs, and I even managed an inside scoop on things with an older friend who manned the counter (little tip about those clubs is that just about anyone can get a license after a few months in town).  Now this is high grade flowers/buds, bubble hash.  And more than half of the circle I ran with, and many more at the clubs got visual hallucinogenic effects (and why the obsession with visuals over mental change?) extremely often, with this increasing to paranoid delusions at high dosages.

But -- that's just personal anecdote, huh?  Like yours.  Now, you consult pubmed and you'll find countless discussions of marijuana's hallucinogenic effects.  You go to wikipedia and they've rightly grouped cannabis as a psychedelic.  DEA (not that they know anything) calls it a hallucinogen.

If you are smoking fine hash and experiencing effects of that nature, sure... Again, is this how most people consume? NO. Is this how the original poster is consuming? Probably not.

We know more than most the DEA doesn't know anything ;) You also know I'm sure nutmeg has powerful effects when taking in high doses, does this make it a hallucinogen clearly noted on the bottle? What you're focusing on is a semantic issue really, which i think I noted I don't want to bother getting into as I'm not denying the power of the drug...you are aware that a lot of subjectivity is involved in every experience and a spurious correlation is likely.

And you go to erowid (who knows how your comment about it contradicting itself had the slightest fucking relevance here, since what I'm talking about is NUMEROUS INDIVIDUAL REPORTS CONFIRMING HALLUCINOGENIC EFFECTS -- that's not a point that can be contradicted by another report saying "I got really hungry" -- effects here are dose and sensitivity dependent, and much more common than you think) ... plenty there, and also this:

Q:  Does marijuana make you hallucinate even if it isn't laced with anything?
A:  Cannabis is rarely laced with anything. The main signs to look for if you suspect adulterants would be odd taste or smell, or a dramatic change in the duration of effects. As with most psychoactive drugs, cannabis can cause a wide variety of reactions in different people and at different times. There is also a broad range of potency and types of cannabis, which will cause different types of effects.

I don't rely on trip reports for good information is the relevance, since you can't see what I'm after. The effects of course dependent on various factors, just like anything else...including excitement, in comes the spurious correlation. The lacing thing....rare of course, but again, geography.

People definitely experience strong visual and mental effects with cannabis, rivaling anything one could experience with other psychedelics like LSD or mushrooms. Of course, most commonly the effects are not this strong. If you find yourself experiencing undesireably strong effects from smoking cannabis (you might be a person with a high sensitivity), you might want to try lowering your dosage.

Rivalring LSD? Hmm. I'll have to procure a sample of that for phytochemical analysis...

>If one hallucinates from smoking once or twice a week, they should probably stop.

Oh really.  Why the **** should they accept your modality of use?  Frankly, I don't like chilling out and getting munchies all that much.  Now ... talking trees, I like.

I highly suggest you stop wasting your time with schawgg. Once you smoke fine herb, you'll never go back. :)

This is a life extension forum, in case you haven't noticed, not bluelight. This user was looking into smoking a couple times a week, and my "modality of use" is a suggestion based on a health extension ethic. I could give lots of advice if someone was looking to see trees talking, but I don't think that's the case (not going to put words into the user's mouth, however). As much as I am a fan of Cannabis from a reasonably not unhealthy harm reduction standpoint, I have concerns about it's long-term effects on emotional health, especially with very potent strains. With all this amazing weed that you've been smoking for years, you should be thinking about this also, and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on its long-term neurological effects on things like increased apathy, emotional well-being, sleep ability later in life, etc. I take the horticultural view when talking about a plant as a supplement- and this is a supplement...just an entertainment supplement, self-exploration, blah blah - more tetrahydrocannabinol and other metabolites = more phytochemicals in system with seemingly well understood MOA that affects brain chemistry.

Things that affect your brain chemistry with powerful effects (hallucinating or not) have to be calculated into your life for their positives and negatives, IMO.

#41 steelheader

• 106 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:30 PM

Putting aside dope smoking opening the door to a life of insanity,debauchery, and crime, does anyone have a comment on the post by nootropikamil indicating that it might help in the treatment of lung cancer?

Another related story:

The Arizona Daily Star: News Source

Posted Image

Published: 04.18.2007

Study: Pot cuts mice's cancer tumors

BLOOOMBERG NEWS

LOS ANGELES — Giving marijuana to mice with cancer shrank their lung tumors by half and slowed spread of the disease, findings that may one day expand legal use of the substance as a treatment, researchers said.

The research is the first to show that marijuana's active ingredient, tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, blocks a known cancer- related protein that's already the target of such drugs as ImClone System Inc.'s Erbitux and Amgen Inc.'s Vectibix.

The findings, presented Tuesday at the American Association for Cancer Research meeting, add to evidence that marijuana may have anti-tumor properties and its potential should be probed further, researchers said.
Scientists speculate THC may activate biological pathways that halt cancer cell division or block development of blood vessels that feed tumors.

"THC can have a potential therapeutic role," said Anju Preet, the study's lead author and a researcher at Harvard University's division of experimental medicine.

"Maybe THC is killing cells. The preliminary studies are promising."

Tumor cells dosed with THC also showed a reduction in epidermal growth factor receptor, or EGFR, which means the substance may be acting in ways similar to Erbitux and Vectibix, which block the protein, Preet said.

Lung cancer cells with high levels of EGFR are generally very aggressive and treatment resistant, researchers said.

In addition to reducing tumor size by half, THC was also associated with a 60 percent reduction in cancer lesions in the lungs of mice.

All content copyright © 1999-2006 AzStarNet, Arizona Daily Star and its wire services and suppliers and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution, or retransmission of any of the contents of this service without the expressed written consent of Arizona Daily Star or AzStarNet is prohibited.

#42 infinitethought

• 17 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:28 PM

Comrades,
Considering the Totalitarian control that Amerika has on it's members, is it any surprise that pot is outlawed, as well as any other "DRUG" (they're words, not mine. I call them PLANTS, which any idiot can see that is what they are.) that expands your mind and makes AmeriKa's control over you that much harder.

Consider alcohol. If you use self restraint over the years, and use it moderately, alchohol actually expands your mind.
Same with pot, natural tobacco, peyote, mushrooms, etc, etc, etc.

From a craigslist Politics discussion, I had someone respond to me on a discussion that literally blew my mind that someone would say this.

He said" You have no right to do this cause's it not in the Bill Of Rights.
Of course I coulndt' resist and had to say,
"I'm confused. Does that mean I'm not to allowed to s***, because it's not in the Bill of Rights?
[huh]

Social Engineering has gotton so deeply entrenched in our society that I've actually trained myself, that ANYTHING that is force fed to me....I research.
And I research it hard.

So the next time you hear smoking pot is bad for you, it's easy to know who's tellin you this.

--
While you're at it, research what the Phamaceudical "lobbyists" (I know, I know that's not possible. but trust me they're there. Hardcore.) at FDA are up to.
Stop the FDA From Making Natural Healing Illegal.

http://www.democracy...mpaign_KEY=7185

Edited by infinitethought, 20 April 2007 - 06:12 PM.

#43 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:46 PM

Since it's 4-20 I can't resist posting in the pot thread. Yes, pot helps suppress tumors, aids in many diseases including glaucoma, MS, the side effects of chemo, alzheimers and quite a few others. Someone made a list and came up with 25 things but left off a few.

Speaking of hallucinations, there are a range of effects that can be called hallucinations. It does not have to be a totally whacked out of your head experience to be hallucinogenic. In a darkened room do you see little designs in the shadows or on the walls? Try again after a joint, you may notice something different. But some will say "I can control that so it doesn't count". If it makes you see things you wouldn't normally see, it counts.

As for the amotivational effect, just use some resveratrol, it's the best and safest stimulant I know about. It will counteract any lack of motivation you may experience and you will find yourself getting a lot done. The effects vary from person to person so I can't say what doses are needed.

#44 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:24 PM

Since it's 4-20 I can't resist posting in the pot thread.

I didn't even realize that until you said something. I bet there will be certain areas very hazy with smoke today.

#45 pouexmachinax

• 9 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:44 PM

About hallucinating on cannabis.

I have smoked daily, on and off, for 5 year. (Clean for 1 month. Yay!)
Pot can definitely induce closed-eyes visuals and auditory hallucination. I have
experienced it many times. The strange thing is that they are pretty controllable
hallucinations. I could decide what I was going to hear, but definitely heard it.
They sound like what you get after not sleeping for 48 hours.

As for visuals, they are usually pattern like. (Like some of the patterns you may find
on playing cards) but as doses go up, they eventually become more vivid. Still they
are always cartoonesque hallucination like those you get when you have too much
fever. You can also see them in the dark. Yet, I am the only one of a group of 10 friends
who ever reported them so not everyone get them.

All of this was experienced with smoked cannabis without tolerance built up. I could
probably get them if I was to smoke right now. I never ate cannabis as I am pretty
sensitive to panic attacks and bad trips.

Anyway, those hallucinations don't compare with what you can get with even a mild
dose of cubensis. Like 1-2g. I know, I'm a pussy but I bad trip at such low doses so I
don't see myself taking 4g. (THERE ARE MAZES IN THE GRASSS!!!)

#46 bacopacabana

• 40 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:54 PM

As far as a remedy for next day brain fog, etc., sulbutiamine does it pretty good for me. I use the Spike product by Biotest.

#47 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 08:34 PM

are there any supplements that can offset the negative effects of pot smoking (once or twice a week) or minimize any damage short or long term effects, specifically regarding memory and anxiety?

o A recent rat study shows how marijuana may ease Alzheimer's:

Click here to view article

o Marijuana may stave off Alzheimer's - U.S. study:

o Enhancing Activity Of Marijuana-like Chemicals In Brain Helps Treat Parkinson's Symptoms In Mice

o Pot-smoking eases foot pain, HIV patients report

In addition to these recent publications, this peer review under process reports:

Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2006 Nov;188(4):425-44. Epub 2006 Sep 26. 

The acute effects of cannabinoids on memory in humans: a review.Ranganathan M, D'Souza DC.

Schizophrenia Biological Research Center, VA Connecticut Healthcare System, West-Haven, CT 06516, USA.

RATIONALE: Cannabis is one of the most frequently used substances. Cannabis and its constituent cannabinoids are known to impair several aspects of cognitive function, with the most robust effects on short-term episodic and working memory in humans. A large body of the work in this area occurred in the 1970s before the discovery of cannabinoid receptors. Recent advances in the knowledge of cannabinoid receptors' function have rekindled interest in examining effects of exogenous cannabinoids on memory and in understanding the mechanism of these effects. OBJECTIVE: The literature about the acute effects of cannabinoids on memory tasks in humans is reviewed. The limitations of the human literature including issues of dose, route of administration, small sample sizes, sample selection, effects of other drug use, tolerance and dependence to cannabinoids, and the timing and sensitivity of psychological tests are discussed. Finally, the human literature is discussed against the backdrop of preclinical findings. RESULTS: Acute administration of Delta-9-THC transiently impairs immediate and delayed free recall of information presented after, but not before, drug administration in a dose- and delay-dependent manner. In particular, cannabinoids increase intrusion errors. These effects are more robust with the inhaled and intravenous route and correspond to peak drug levels. CONCLUSIONS: This profile of effects suggests that cannabinoids impair all stages of memory including encoding, consolidation, and retrieval. Several mechanisms, including effects on long-term potentiation and long-term depression and the inhibition of neurotransmitter (GABA, glutamate, acetyl choline, dopamine) release, have been implicated in the amnestic effects of cannabinoids. Future research in humans is necessary to characterize the neuroanatomical and neurochemical basis of the memory impairing effects of cannabinoids, to dissect out their effects on the various stages of memory and to bridge the expanding gap between the humans and preclinical literature.

PMID: 17019571 [PubMed - in process]

It seems marijuana may inhibit or otherwise modulate the release of certain neurotransmitters (GABA, glutamate, acetylcholine, dopamine).

It might therefore be reasonable for certain users of the drug to take some of these neurotransmitters (or their precursors) as a supplement (provided taking such neurotransmitters as a supplement(s) effectively crosses the blood brain barrier and in fact modulate the levels of neurotransmitters and are not completely destroyed in the human digestive process).

It's probably also important to note that if we're not sure which specific neurotransmitter(s) is/are inhibited, by exactly how much, and what degree of supplementation is required to repair the deficiency (if deficiency is indeed the case) it's pretty much brain gambling.

However, my amateur scientific speculations aside, the body of evidence to support the therapeutic uses of marijuana is growing too large for the medical profession to cast off as hype. That's probably part of the reason California passed a medical marijuana initiative in 1996.

Posted Image

This statement was adopted by the full Medical Board on May 7, 2004. For more information, please see our news release dated May 13, 2004.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On November 5, 1996, the people of California passed Proposition 215. Through this Initiative Measure, Section 11362.5 was added to the Health & Safety Code, and is also known as the Compassionate Use Act of 1996. The purposes of the Act include, in part:

"(A) To ensure that seriously ill Californians have the right to obtain and use marijuana for medical purposes where the medical use is deemed appropriate and has been recommended by a physician who has determined that the person's health would benefit from the use of marijuana in the treatment of cancer, anorexia, AIDS, chronic pain, spasticity, glaucoma, arthritis, migraine, or any other illness for which marijuana provides relief; and

(B) To ensure that patients and their primary caregivers who obtain and use marijuana for medical purposes upon the recommendation of a physician are not subject to criminal prosecution or sanction."

Furthermore, Health & Safety Code section 11362.5© provides strong protection for physicians who choose to participate in the implementation of the Act. - "Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no physician in this state shall be punished, or denied any right or privilege, for having recommended marijuana to a patient for medical purposes."

The Medical Board of California developed this statement since medical marijuana is an emerging treatment modality. The Medical Board wants to assure physicians who choose to recommend medical marijuana to their patients, as part of their regular practice of medicine, that they WILL NOT be subject to investigation or disciplinary action by the MBC if they arrive at the decision to make this recommendation in accordance with accepted standards of medical responsibility. The mere receipt of a complaint that the physician is recommending medical marijuana will not generate an investigation absent additional information indicating that the physician is not adhering to accepted medical standards.

These accepted standards are the same as any reasonable and prudent physician would follow when recommending or approving any other medication, and include the following:

History and good faith examination of the patient.

Development of a treatment plan with objectives.

Provision of informed consent including discussion of side effects.

Periodic review of the treatment's efficacy.

Consultation, as necessary.

Proper record keeping that supports the decision to recommend the use of medical marijuana.

In other words, if physicians use the same care in recommending medical marijuana to patients as they would recommending or approving any other medication, they have nothing to fear from the Medical Board.

Here are some important points to consider when recommending medical marijuana:

Although it could trigger federal action, making a recommendation in writing to the patient will not trigger action by the Medical Board of California.

A patient need not have failed on all standard medications, in order for a physician to recommend or approve the use of medical marijuana.

The physician should determine that medical marijuana use is not masking an acute or treatable progressive condition, or that such use will lead to a worsening of the patient's condition.

The Act names certain medical conditions for which medical marijuana may be useful, although physicians are not limited in their recommendations to those specific conditions. In all cases, the physician should base his/her determination on the results of clinical trials, if available, medical literature and reports, or on experience of that physician or other physicians, or on credible patient reports. In all cases, the physician must determine that the risk/benefit ratio of medical marijuana is as good, or better, than other medications that could be used for that individual patient.

A physician who is not the primary treating physician may still recommend medical marijuana for a patient's symptoms. However, it is incumbent upon that physician to consult with the patient's primary treating physician or obtain the appropriate patient records to confirm the patient's underlying diagnosis and prior treatment history.

The initial examination for the condition for which medical marijuana is being recommended must be in-person.

Recommendations should be limited to the time necessary to appropriately monitor the patient. Periodic reviews should occur and be documented at least annually or more frequently as warranted.

If a physician recommends or approves the use of medical marijuana for a minor, the parents or legal guardians must be fully informed of the risks and benefits of such use and must consent to that use.

Physicians may wish to refer to CMA's ON-CALL Document #1315 titled "The Compassionate Use Act of 1996", updated annually for additional information and guidance
(http://www.cmanet.or...FTOKEN=27566287).

Although the Compassionate Use Act allows the use of medical marijuana by a patient upon the recommendation or approval of a physician, California physicians should bear in mind that marijuana is listed in Schedule I of the federal Controlled Substances Act, which means that it has no accepted medical use under federal law. However, in Conant v. Walters (9th Cir.2002) F.3d 629 the United States Court of Appeals recognized that physicians have a constitutionally-protected right to discuss medical marijuana as a treatment option with their patients and make oral or written recommendation for medical marijuana. However, the court cautioned that physicians could exceed the scope of this constitutional protection if they conspire with, or aid and abet, their patients in obtaining medical marijuana.

In todays' news:

News Source: The Pawtucket Times

Posted Image

05/04/2007
Marijuana law gets Senate nod 
By: Jim Baron, Times staff writer 

PROVIDENCE - Following in the footsteps of Wednesday's House vote, the Senate approved legislation Thursday to make the state's medical marijuana law permanent. The vote was 28-5, far exceeding the three-fifths vote required to survive the veto Gov. Donald Carcieri says is likely to come.

The law that protects from arrest or prosecution patients who suffer from a debilitating medical condition as certified by a physician and one or two "caregivers" who help them procure, grow or use the drug, was passed over the governor's veto in January, 2006, it is set to expire on June 30 unless a so-called "sunset clause" is eliminated.

The now-identical measures that passed the House and Senate this week do just that.

Under General Assembly procedure, the House bill will now go to the Senate for passage and the Senate bill will go to the House. Then both bills will go to Carcieri, who said if the measures are similar to what was passed last year, which they are, he would probably veto them. He must do that within six days (excluding Sundays) from the date he receives the bills from the respective chambers.

Sen. Rhoda Perry, who has sponsored medical marijuana legislation in one form or another for nearly a decade, thanked fellow senators for supporting the law and lifting the sunset clause.

"It really has taken almost eight years for it to be at the point we are at right now," Perry told her colleagues. "I believe my actions and your actions have allowed seriously ill people to alleviate their pain and suffering and pain without fear of arrest or prosecution on a state level.

"Over 250 of our constituents," Perry said, "people who are suffering from AIDS, cancer, multiple sclerosis, other debilitating, chronic pain conditions are now a part of this groundbreaking program. These people who are using medical marijuana are not using it to get high. They are using it to alleviate pain and other serious symptoms. "

The bill is titled The Edward O. Hawkins and Thomas C. Slater Medical Marijuana Act. Hawkins, who died three years ago of AIDS, was Perry's nephew and she said it was his struggle with the disease that inspired her to push for the legislation. Rep. Thomas Slater, himself a cancer patient, is the prime sponsor of the House bill.

The law makes no provision for patients to obtain the drug, so they must buy it illegally on the black market. The law does not shield individuals from arrest or prosecution under federal law.

Sen. Charles Levesque told colleagues, "The numerous people who came in and individually told us their experience was they had no desire to go down this road, they had no desire to put their friends down the road of obtaining an illegal substance, putting themselves at risk in doing so. But they said ultimately it was their only form of relief, the only thing that allowed them to eat, to sleep, to find any comfort when they had been suffering from a debilitating disease.

"It was beyond my ability to look at these folks and say, I will not be prepared to give you that relief that you are begging us for," Levesque continued. "Boy, if that didn't make me feel humble, that someone had to come and ask me or any of us for that relief."

Patients are allowed to possess up to 2.5 ounces of "useable marijuana" or 12 plants and they may designate one or two caregivers. A caregiver can serve up to five patients, but under amendments approved in both the House and Senate this week, may possess no more than 5 ounces of the drug or 24 plants. The law as it stands allows care givers to possess 2.5 ounces and 12 plants for each patient, but some lawmakers felt that could amount to too much marijuana and urged the amendment to cap the amount caregivers can hold at any one time.

Sen. Leo Blais of Coventry, a pharmacist, tried to amend the legislation to prevent anyone from being a caregiver if a court found them to be in violation of the Rhode Island Uniform Controlled Substances Act.

"My concern with this bill is there is no prohibition currently for folks who have been given the extreme privilege of doing a patently illegal act under federal law" if they violate other drug laws. "There is no provision that says you lose your privilege. On the one hand we say we give you this big privilege to violate federal law and do this process of growing marijuana plants, but go ahead if you want to sell Oxycontin (a prescription narcotic) out the back door, that's fine because no matter what happens to you on that side, when you get out of prison, you still have your card to grow."

Actually, the bill passed in the House and Senate prohibits anyone who has a drug felony on his or her record from being a caregiver.

"The science supporting medical marijuana is now beyond doubt, and Rhode Island's experience with this law has been completely positive," said Ray Warren, director of state policies for the Marijuana Policy Project in Washington, D.C. "The only controversy seems to be in the governor's mind, but strong support from the public and the medical community overcame his veto once, and if necessary, will do so again."

©The Pawtucket Times 2007

Take care.

#48 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:19 AM

More people died last year from spinach than marijuana:
http://www.miamihera...ory/127744.html

#49 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:47 AM

Yeah, maybe this is the reason why my mom has emphysema rather than lung caner... She smokes cigarettes and marijuana. There is no cancer, but she sure has emphysema. You have to remember the tar content of marijuana. Something can be good in one area but detrimental in another. There are always opportunity costs when it comes to things such as these.

Screw weed and cigarettes. They are not part of an immortalist's regimen. End of story.

#50 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:49 AM

When enjoying marijuana use a vaporizer to minimize negative health effects. Why can't people grasp this concept? v-a-p-o-r-i-z-e-r

#51 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:53 AM

When enjoying marijuana use a vaporizer to minimize negative health effects.  Why can't people grasp this concept?  v-a-p-o-r-i-z-e-r

Good point. You still get the negative 'cognitive' effects of the THC though. We come to the point of opportunity costs once again. If you don't mind the negative cognitive effects of THC, then by all means smoke it through a vaporizer. It isn't as pleasant as smoking it from a joint or bowl, but it gets the job done.

#52 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:21 PM

use vasopressin to counteract thc's cognitive effects

#53 jubai

• 130 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 02:10 PM

5-htp supplementation can enhance pot / subjectively "lower" tolerance

Piracetam and Lecithin/Alpha-GPC for brain fog

Water pipe /Vapo to minimize negative effects, so that positive effects (psychedelism, introspection, change of perspective...) outweight the negative, as long as you don't overdo it!

#54 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:17 PM

The New York Times: News Source

Posted Image

June 11, 2007
Marijuana Law in Connecticut Gains Ground
By STACEY STOWE

HARTFORD, June 10 — Seventeen years ago, Mark Braunstein dived 60 feet off a footbridge into a river, landed wrong and became a paraplegic. A librarian at Connecticut College, Mr. Braunstein, 55, walks with the aid of crutches and leg braces. He smokes marijuana every three days or so to control the pain and spasms in his feet that would otherwise immobilize him.

“I grew it in my woods, but the penalties for cultivation are higher than for possession, so people are forced to patronize the black market,” said Mr. Braunstein, who lives in Waterford. “I have a friend who grows it organically, and I buy it from him.”

In addition to potential legal jeopardy, people who use marijuana for medical reasons endure a financial pinch, he said, as an ounce can cost $300 to $400, depending on its quality. For five years, Mr. Braunstein and others have pressed the Connecticut General Assembly for an alternative. A few weeks ago, they came closer to getting one.

On June 1, the State Senate, following the House, passed a bill that allows people with certain “debilitating” medical conditions to grow as many as four marijuana plants for “palliative use” with the recommendation of a doctor and registration with the State Department of Consumer Protection.

If passed, the bill would make Connecticut the 13th state in the nation to permit the use of marijuana for medical purposes.

But it is unclear whether Gov. M. Jodi Rell will sign the bill. Last week, Rich Harris, her spokesman, said she had not decided. Even if the bill were to become law, it would not legalize the drug, as growers could still theoretically be charged under federal law, which bars its medical use.

The governor’s stance reflects that conflict.

“In the past, she has been sympathetic to helping the terminally ill and those with debilitating symptoms find relief,” Mr. Harris said, “but she would frankly prefer to see the policy change at the federal level since it is a chronic problem for any state that takes up the issue.”

Given the avalanche of bills at the close of the legislature’s regular session last Wednesday, it is unclear when Mrs. Rell will consider this one. All bills must go through procedural matters before being sent to the governor; as of Friday she had not received the marijuana bill. Mrs. Rell has 15 days to sign or veto the bill once it lands on her desk. If she does neither, it will become law automatically.

The Connecticut General Assembly passed a bill in 1981 that authorized doctors to write prescriptions for marijuana if their patients had glaucoma or were undergoing chemotherapy, but it was largely toothless because no pharmacies carry the drug.

For the past five years, the legislature has considered various bills that support the use of marijuana for palliative care, but until now not one has passed.

On Friday, one supporter of the most recent bill addressed opponents’ concerns that allowing use of the drug for medical use could send mixed messages to children.

“There is a psychic barrier that many people wrestle with,” said Andrew J. McDonald, Democrat of Stamford and deputy majority leader of the State Senate, where the bill passed 23 to 13. “But nobody is condoning its use for recreational purposes. We’re trying to create a regulated system where people in vastly compromised medical conditions can have benefits of it.”

The House voted in favor of the bill, 89 to 58, on May 23. State Representative Marie Lopez Kirkley-Bey, a Democrat from Hartford who is deputy speaker, said she had been “vehemently opposed” to the legalization of marijuana for medical purposes and voted against such bills in the past because she feared a negative impact on children.

But she changed her mind when two of her cousins died of cancer last year.

“When I saw the pain and suffering they endured while trying to maintain their dignity and composure, the bill came to my mind,” Ms. Kirkley-Bey said. “There was a feeling that before, I didn’t do the right thing.”

Under the bill, people with multiple sclerosis, cancer, AIDS, epilepsy or neuro-spinal damage, among other conditions, could grow marijuana indoors with a doctor’s recommendation and a state permit.

But the proposal differs in some ways from medical marijuana laws in other states. Unlike California’s law, the first in the nation, Connecticut’s would not permit buying marijuana from stores or using the drug merely to manage pain, said Gabriel Sayegh, a project director for Drug Policy Alliance, a national advocacy group based in Manhattan.

State Senator John McKinney, a Republican from Southport whose father, a congressman, died of AIDS in 1987, expressed sympathy for people with debilitating illnesses. But he said that supporting the bill would be “sending the wrong message,” one that marijuana is not a bad drug.

“It is an illegal drug under our federal laws,” Mr. McKinney said. “So are we going to ask people to break the law to get seeds from the black market? Are they going on a street corner?”

Mr. McKinney also said that patients could ease their symptoms with prescription drugs.

But Representative Penny Bacchiochi, a Republican from Somers, said prescription drugs did not alleviate the pain of her husband, who died after having bone cancer in the late 1980s. On the recommendation of his doctor, she bought marijuana for him.

“I remembered how much fear I had,” she said, “but you do anything for someone you love.”

Copyright 2007 The New York Times Company

#55 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:32 PM

When enjoying marijuana use a vaporizer to minimize negative health effects. Why can't people grasp this concept? v-a-p-o-r-i-z-e-r

I favor oral administration, in the form of a delicious baked snack. [thumb] This way you completely avoid injury to the lungs and enjoy a long-lived (4-6 hr), less "peaky" experience. After removing all smoking/inhalation issues from the equation, I think infrequent use is utterly benign with respect to health. Even casual social drinking (~4 drinks on a Friday night) ranks as harmful in comparison.

#56 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:59 PM

one thing that continues to frustrate me is the lack of standardization for cannabis.

there are literally hundreds of strains of cannabis with varying effects on parts of the brain. I've used some kinds that make sex an almost transcendental experience akin to bliss, while others have the unfortunate effect of causing sleeplessness and increasing my soreness from a hard workout earlier in the day.

studies like this one, http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/4338634.stm even mention "contradictory effects"

from the link

They suggested this could be because different cannabinoids acting at different levels have contradictory effects.

and to be honest, I've experienced an extremely calming effect of certain cannabis indica strains while experiencing a paranoia and anxiety with cannabis sativa strains.

like I said, we need to legalize and then get some standards for the different strains so we can help those who are sick with MS and give them the right strain and let hedonists like myself enjoy the more sensual aspects of the plant. [sfty]

#57 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:00 AM

Hate to go off topic from health benefits, but a funny clip of how to roll a joint:
Joint Video

#58 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:19 AM

Hate to go off topic from health benefits, but a funny clip of how to roll a joint:

thanks for the tutorial Lucid. [lol]

#59 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:22 AM

Yeah, maybe this is the reason why my mom has emphysema rather than lung caner...  She smokes cigarettes and marijuana.  There is no cancer, but she sure has emphysema.  You have to remember the tar content of marijuana.  Something can be good in one area but detrimental in another.  There are always opportunity costs when it comes to things such as these.

Screw weed and cigarettes.  They are not part of an immortalist's regimen.  End of story.

luv, I was simply pointing out that the issue of THC intake in relation to some hypothetical “Immortalist lifestyle” is not as *cut and dry* as you are trying to make it out to be. No one who is remotely rational would deny that tar is carcinogenic and extremely unhealthy, but it must also be acknowledged that the primary threat to public health is tar and not isolated chemical compounds such as THC or nicotine. I’ve lost track of how many times I have witnessed a failure to grasp this most elementary logic. It almost boggles my mind but then I remember how heavily value laden the issue of consciousness alteration is. Fortunately it appears that you grasp this distinction and concede the point - but not without prompting, which some might interpret as betraying an agenda. However, irrespective of such considerations, once you admit the obvious (yet still feel the urge to defend a moral judgement) you fall back to this position:

You still get the negative 'cognitive' effects of the THC though.  We come to the point of opportunity costs once again.  If you don't mind the negative cognitive effects of THC, then by all means smoke it through a vaporizer.

which, again, represents an inappropriate level of definitiveness. It’s fine that you’re averse to the use of THC, but please don’t speak in generalizations and distort the facts. Specifically, if you are going to claim that TCH negatively affects cognition, then you need to specify if there is a distinction to be made based on the frequency of use, as well as the nature of the negative effects (temporary or irreversible). As a declared rationalist this is probably one of my biggest pet peeves – intellectual slight of hand.

By the way, just to dispel the possible false impression that may have arisen from my frequent defense of THC consumption, I’ll mention that I haven’t partaking of this particular pleasure in a few years now. I’m certainly not a “stoner” (not that there’s anything wrong with that [lol] ), but I am a strong proponent of the principle of cognitive liberty who resents moral distortions.

Anyway, sorry folks for the slightly off topic digression. Carry on.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:22 PM

Techno, I've written a lot about the my perceived cognitive effects of THC which corresponds well with that of my friends and scientific literature. The two main deficits that come with use are lack of motivation and memory problems. This is most likely attributable to the THC. So, an immortalist can smoke all the weed they want through a good vaporizer, but these two deficits may plague them until they have been accustomed to the effects. I say this because I've read (don't have time to look it up now) that a heavy, long-term smoker seems to overcome the negative aspects of the THC.

So, if you smoke through a vaporizer or chow down on some weed brownies, I don't see it negatively affecting one's lifespan.

One would be 'dumb' to not admit that the tar content of cigarettes and/or marijuana are bad for your lungs.

I guess I shouldn't have said "screw weed and cigarettes". That may have been a little blunt. Sorry for that.

On another note, I am for the legalization of marijuana. I believe in free-will and people should have the freedom to do as they please as long as they are not hurting others ----> driving while high.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users