• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Mental disorders

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Gewis

• 55 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 07:14 AM

I was just chatting with another member of this site, and we both came to the conclusion that we're on drugs. Myself for severe depression, and him for bipolar disorder... I'm just wondering. Considering the generally high level of intelligence among those who frequent these forums, how many have mood disorders? Are we all a bunch of emotionally unstable geniu... I mean, rather intelligent people who could go off the cuff at any moment, erm, are stabilized by medication? Hehehe... that's what I want a brain implant for, to regulate my seratonin levels. Anyhow, I'm just wondering if the future of humanity is a collection of quac... I mean, emotionally irregular people. =P

Sorry, this is just for my own curiosity and entertainment.

#2 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 07:39 AM

Gewis,

I have a tenuous theory that most mental disorders trace their origin to diet with some effect attributable to our living in an amazing techno wonderland. I say this because our bodies are designed for the plains of Africa not for shopping malls. We're all experiencing one giant experiment in sociology. Some of us are not adapting.

With food, I target excessive ingestion of caffeine and refined sugar as the main culprit. Epically for genetically sensitive individuals, these foods lead quickly to the tipping point toward which depression results on the downside of an insulin spike.

But it could be true, intelligent individuals may be more prone to depression in general.. as this may be related to the sensitivity problem alluded to above in our genes.

#3 Gewis

• Topic Starter
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 08:03 AM

You sure know how to let the air out of a self-effacing joke. =)

Besides, I don't drink caffeine. I'm physically active while avoiding shopping malls. And I eat healthy foods like Honey n' Nut Toasty O's.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 AgentNyder

• 166 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 01:18 PM

Well I am highly suspicious of the validity of 'mental disorders' as legitimate medical conditions. For example, there are no proven biological abnormalities or even a proper diagnostic test.

Gewis, if I were you I'd stay off the medication - as the long term effects on your mind could be irrepairable. And as every immortalist knows the mind is the most important asset that we'll have to preserve if we wish to follow our memetics.

#5 ocsrazor

• Guest OcsRazor
  • 461 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 02:20 PM

Hi Gewis,

Most highly intelligent people have greater swings in mood than the rest of the population. As a neuroscientist I find that the method of action of most of the drugs currently being described for depression, bipolar disorder, ADHD, etc are far too clumsy (not too mention physicians being far too clumsy in their presciptions) for me to ever want to seek out a drug solution.

AgentNyder - I would have to say that the conditions being observed are definitely variations in the way brains metabolize energy and regulate their physiology, and this is almost all genetic. There is some very strong research into these differences. It is arguable whether they are disorders, but there is definitely differences in the way human brains operate, and I'm all for people trying to discover what gives them optimal functionality. Don't think of the brain as a static entity, it is constantly changing, and any interventions you make are likely to come with tradeoffs, but experimentation within the bounds of safety should be encouraged.

I probably am a classic ADHD, but I have learned to harness it through a combination of physical activity, diet, meditation, and by keeping many intellectual balls in the air at once, so I can quickly switch from one to the other without getting bored. I keep multiple goal streams working at the same time and check back on them periodically to see how I am doing. All this was kind of a pain in the butt to set up at first, but it really pays off once you have a system working for yourself.

Gewis - a small piece of advice, through my experiences with manic depressive friends, I have found that movement of any kind (physical or mental) is critical to their well being. As soon as you feel yourself starting to slip back into a funk, you should greatly increase your activity level. Daily physical activity in particular stabilizes physiology and energy metabolism and intensive mental activity will keep you from getting stuck in nonproductive loop behaviors. You have to shock your system out of those types of negative feedback cycles.

I agree with BJ on the excessive sugar and caffeine, and you can use those to your advantage as well. You just have to be willing to experiment with your own body to see what is optimal for you. I have found that a single, well timed cup of coffee each day can help me level out my energy levels. Take a mental note a few times a day of where you energy level is and relate that to what you drank and ate recently. Think of food as simply a very large source of drug intake :p

Half joking, half serious - I work on brain implants, and one of the possible future projects (~10 years) in the back of my mind is a human motivational implant. On a spooky note, I'm sure I could get the defense department to fund this in a heartbeat. They would love to see properly motivated soldiers running around the battlefield :)

Also, don't forget that it is us mentally irregular individuals who move culture forward. Without us mental anomalies at the edges of the bell curve, society would just stagnate and die. Normal literally means average, who wants to be average? :)

Best,
Peter

#6 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 04:05 PM

Right on the movement and exercises suggestion Peter. That's equally important as dietary intake. Vigorous activity that increases the heart rate for at least 20 min a day is excellent in maintaining good blood flow and emotional balance releasing those fun natural brain drugs in the process.

Also, the following timely news of import:

Electrodes in brain to 'switch off' pain
July 27, 2003
Breakthrough implant surgery may
help patients to control agony
caused by major injury. The "deep
brain stimulation" operation
involves drilling two tiny holes in
the skull so that two electrodes can
be implanted deep in the brain. The
electrodes are wired to a brain
"pacemaker," a device that...
http://observer.guar...1006616,00.html

#7 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 02:11 AM

Here are the 'Symptoms of Severe Giftedness' as outlined by Christopher Langnan from his website at www.megafoundation.org

-High Verbal Fluency
-Heightened perceptual skills
-Acute sensitivity
-Empathy for others
-Prefers challenging tasks
-Dislike for routine
-Unusual ability to see abstract relationships
-Intense Curiousity
-Absorption in problem solving
-Desire to develop structure
-Openness to new ideas
-"Rage to Learn"
-Well-developed imagination
-Ability to persist
-Immersion in a task
-Tendency toward dominance
-Individualism
-Perfectionistic and self-critical
-Need to be self-directed
-Persistent sense of humor
-A broad and changing spectrum of interests

I'm not sure about 'giftedness' but I certainly have more than a few of these severely... much to the annoyance of many of my friends and relations. You think I could use this as an explanation for some of my more eccentric character traits? For instance, when I was the 10 or 11 years old I would pick up a shopping cart on the way to the library in order to be able to carry the books I wanted to read home... I can't imagine what I would think about watching a kid doing the same thing today... strange child.. Now I can't seem to disengage my brain from my computer... I feel like I've been lobotomized without access to the internet, my new library. Just shows you that we really don't change much over time..

#8 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 03:55 AM

I feel like I've been lobotomized without access to the internet, my new library. Just shows you that we really don't change much over time.

You too, ehh? Internet deprivation would be a terrible thing. This represents the first tentative steps toward transformation and augmentation I'd suppose. Computers are beginning to change the way we think.

#9 AgentNyder

• 166 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 05:01 AM

Is anyone here taking neuroleptic drugs?

Just a note:

What is Tardive Dyskinesia?
Tardive dyskinesia is a neurological syndrome caused by the long-term use of neuroleptic drugs. Neuroleptic drugs are generally prescribed for psychiatric disorders, as well as for some gastrointestinal and neurological disorders. Tardive dyskinesia is characterized by repetitive, involuntary, purposeless movements. Features of the disorder may include grimacing, tongue protrusion, lip smacking, puckering and pursing, and rapid eye blinking. Rapid movements of the arms, legs, and trunk may also occur. Impaired movements of the fingers may appear as though the patient is playing an invisible guitar or piano.
Is there any treatment?
There is no standard treatment for tardive dyskinesia. Treatment is highly individualized. The first step is generally to stop or minimize the use of the neuroleptic drug. However, for patients with a severe underlying condition this may not be a feasible option. Replacing the neuroleptic drug with substitute drugs may help some patients. Other drugs such as benzodiazepines, adrenergic antagonists, and dopamine agonists may also be beneficial.

http://www.ninds.nih...tardive_doc.htm

#10 hughbristic

• Guest Hugh Bristic
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 10:24 PM

The experiences that make one reflective can also make one depressive. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Hugh

#11 AgentNyder

• 166 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 06:25 AM

Yes, but you can also be optimistic and reflective at the same time. Overcoming the 'mental traps' (as I call them) is difficult but worth it in the long run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users