25 Reasons to Smoke Marijuana

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:34 PM

http://questionthema...-marijuana.aspx

Here are his reasons (go to article to see links to his sources for most of them):

25 Reasons to Smoke Marijuana
Print the article

This entry was posted on 12/22/2006 3:54 PM and is filed under Question the Media,Question your government,Question Your Health.
Reasons to Smoke Pot

1) Nobody has ever died from smoking pot.

2) Marijuana users report less depression

3) Marijuana does not cause emphysema, unlike tobacco.

4) Marijuana does not cause cancer (and if you smoke it you are actually slightly less likely to get cancer)

5) THC actually helps cleanse the lungs, preventing tumors

6) Daily marijuana use doesn’t damage your brain.

7) There has never been a study to link marijuana with psychological problems, though it’s not for a lack of trying.

8) Marijuana is NOT a gateway drug.

9) Marijuana fights hardened arteries

10) Marijuana has both stalled the growth of and eliminated brain tumors in rats. Such an experiment has yet to be done on humans.

11) Not that herd mentality is a good reason, but you’re not alone. Marijuana is the US’s number one crop.

12) Sex gets a whole lot better

13) 15 million people smoke it a month (US only).

16) Marijuana can prevent blindness.

17) Marijuana can prevent migraines.

18) Marijuana is less addictive than caffeine. There is no physical addiction but a slight mental addiction can develop.

19) In 1977 the DEA wanted to decriminalize marijuana.

20) Haven’t you always wanted to be able to laugh at Pauly Shore?

21) Because legality isn’t a good enough reason for you to not smoke. Slavery was once legal and sodomy was once illegal; legality is a horrid barometer for morality.

22) Because getting “high” isn’t “bad.” Though you may not realize it, eating meat or candy or fried foods or vegetables or drinking coffee, tea, or soda all effect your mental state. All of these things can make you “high.”

23) Because we don’t yet know all of the benefits of marijuana; the government has tried for years to prove that it is harmful and has consistently failed. Very few studies have explored its benefits.

24) Because you would be in the company of Louis Armstrong, the Beatles, Bob Denver, Bill Clinton, George Bush (okay, never mind him), famous scientist Carl Sagan, Michael Bloomberg, Lewis Caroll, George Washington Carver, Salvador Dali, Al Gore, Steve Jobs, John kennedy, John Wayne, and George Washington.

25) Because it feels good.

#2 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:35 PM

Disclaimer: I don't smoke pot, I just saw the article and thought it was interesting.

#3 tothepoint

• 58 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:38 AM

Think of all the tax money that can be saved and all the revenues that can be made if marijuana was legalized. Bush proposed a $130 million increase in anti-marijuana ads... here's a funny video about it: http://www.trendpimp...en_On_Weed.html

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:12 AM

If people can smoke tobacco, they most certainly should be able to smoke marijuana. There are no denying the health risks of either, but at least marijuana does have some positives to contribute.

#5 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:05 AM

4 ,5 ,6 and 8 are untrue

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:05 AM

A little weed can be fun, but a lot of the 25 reasons are b*llsh*t...

#7 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:28 AM

I'll also have to call B.S on

;)

#8 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:59 AM

4 ,5 ,6 and 8 are untrue

A little weed can be fun, but a lot of the 25 reasons are b*llsh*t...

I'll also have to call B.S on

;)

I have no opinion one way or the other, but he does have a lot of links to references for each of the things. Perhaps he is linking to bad info?

For instance, for 4, 5, and 8, here are the links he gives:
http://www.webmd.com...-to-lung-cancer
http://www.ehponline...ndence.html#thc
http://www.webmd.com...le/54/65298.htm

And for 12 (the sex one), here is the link:
http://www.druglibra...tart/tart13.htm

#9 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:00 AM

I've mentioned this in other pot threads, but there are literally hundreds of strains of cannabis indica/sativa, while i think many of those 25 are well founded, I also can't say which strain was used and the THC % of the one that was used.

but I will attest that on certain strains sex is almost transcendental. [:o] [lol]

#10 chmstar

• 12 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:03 AM

4 ,5 ,6 and 8 are untrue

If weed is a gateway drug, then how exactly is it one?

a) Cannabis use will make person more open to using harder drugs.

b) Because cannabis is a controlled substance, a person is more than likely to be exposed to harder drugs while obtaining cannabis or just hanging out with other pot users.

c) Since weed can be detected in your system longer than other street drugs, people who get random drug tests are more likely to switch to harder drugs that stay in your system for a much shorter time.

d) all of the above.

e) Other.

What gets me about my fellow conservatives is they like talking about personal responsibility, that is unless you wanna get high, then oh no, it's a gateway drug you won't be able to control yourself.

#11 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:08 AM

What gets me about my fellow conservatives is they like talking about personal responsibility, that is unless you wanna get high, then oh no, it's a gateway drug you won't be able to control yourself.

And that is why it's the devil weed! *praises jeebus*

#12 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:16 AM

For instance, for 4, 5, and 8, here are the links he gives:
http://www.webmd.com...-to-lung-cancer

uhh... did you read how they did that study?
not exactly what i would call scientific

smoking ANYTHING on a regular basis will cause cancer. cigs, weed, tree bark, dollar bills, notebook paper... ANYTHING.. its the TAR

http://www.ehponline...ndence.html#thc

yea in rats injected with synth thc... not people smoking weed..

http://www.webmd.com...le/54/65298.htm

know many heroin addicts that started on heroin?
etc etc
people who smoke weed on a semi/regular basis are much more likely to try other drugs, theres no arguing that.
  • dislike x 1

#13 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:34 AM

etc etc
people who smoke weed on a semi/regular basis are much more likely to try other drugs, theres no arguing that.

That's a stupid argument. Just because heroin addicts started on cannabis does not mean that cannabis caused their heroin use. Naturally, most users of harder drugs have tried marijuana, but there are plenty of marijuana users that haven't tried harder drugs. It's like calling tricycles a 'gateway vehicle' to motorcyles simply because one comes before the other.

#14 pSimonKey

• 158 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:51 AM

There are, have been are probably will be millions upon millions of cannabis users around the world... We don't need a web site a government directive or yet more money to be spent on scientific research to realise it's safety.

#15 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:32 PM

5) THC actually helps cleanse the lungs, preventing tumors

Smoke that cleans the lungs???

#16 tothepoint

• 58 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:43 PM

It's like calling tricycles a 'gateway vehicle' to motorcyles simply because one comes before the other.

I agree, and with the same "Gateway" reasoning, you can call alcohol the GREATEST GATEWAY DRUG OF THEM ALL!!!! Legalizing it and seperating it from the hard drug category seperates the average pot smoking teen from possible connections to harder drugs. It's much, much easier to obtain hard drugs like cocaine if you now a few dealers who know dealers who know a guy... however, if weed was legal and you were an average guy looking to obtain harder drugs, you would really have to try hard and ask around.

#17 catdaddy

• 44 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 07:50 PM

Used occasionally and in moderation, marijuana will cause minimal damage and can provide a welcome and possibly beneficial vacation from reality. I had smoked weed only very infrequently and thought it was just a nice thing to do every once in a while, no big deal. THEN I met my ex-girlfriend , a quintessential pothead so to speak, and eventually began smoking heavily every day. Let me tell you, this caused nothing but negative effects in my life. It made me less intelligent, and for a while I didn't even realize that I was getting stupid. It caused me problems with work, school and relationships. I became very depressed and lost motivation to do anything much at all.

I know none of this is really news-these are well known effects of cannabis abuse. I just thought this thread could use a first hand account of the experience. Weed certainly has had a overwhelmingly negative impact in my life. Since I've stopped using my mental processes have been steadily improving and I hope that in time I can regain full capacity.

I still think it should be decriminalized though. Illegality hasn't and never will curb use, and has only resulted in ruining the lives of countless people who weren't harming anyone else and bogging down the justice system to the point where real criminals get put back on the streets. Something has got to change.

#18 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:19 PM

I don't know if it cleans the lungs or not. The gateway theory is bullshit, you could look at a dozen things that heroin addicts used before trying heroin like cigarettes, candy or whatnot. There are a number of documented benefits that were not mentioned.

26. Helps prevent alzhiemer's
27. Treatment for parkinson's

And a few others. Go look at the thread "pot for parkinson's" which I think is in the nootropics forum. Those who say it's not true need to come up with some proof. Just saying it's not true proves nothing. This guy has links to research data.

#19 shuffleup

• 160 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:57 PM

Although I'm not sure MJ should be illegal, none of these I would consider "good" reasons to do it. I mean, it's not like I'm going to add it to my supplement regime because of any of these good reasons.

#20 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:12 PM

Good point, shuffleup. I don't advocate everyone use it and I think it should be restricted to minors. Even those over 18 may be adversely affected by the amotivational syndrome that often comes with heavy use. Just like with alcohol, there are those who can use it responsibly and those who can't. Here are a few more benefits of pot

28. treatments for multiple sclerosis
29. treatment for general pain from arthritis and other causes

#21 biknut

• 1,892 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:23 PM

Pot makes my blood pressure temporarily higher, but then i don't care. ;)

#22 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:47 AM

I don't advocate everyone use it and I think it should be restricted to minors. Even those over 18 may be adversely affected by the amotivational syndrome that often comes with heavy use.

Kind of like the reverse of alcohol and cigarettes?

I can see a store owner saying, "Excuse me sir, may I see your ID, I have to make sure you are under 18 before I let you buy this pot."

Imagine all the people getting fake IDs showing themselves to be younger, or sending their kids in to buy pot for them.

#23 narcissistic

• 110 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 04:56 PM

etc etc

in the Netherlands smoking pot is legal yet they have less heroin addicts than most European countries. I say let people do drugs if they like there is no way to control it any way.

#24 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:05 PM

Ultimately, we really do need governmental regulation of marijuana.

They need to get the schwag off the streets and ensure quality bud.

#25 narcissistic

• 110 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:05 PM

that kind of governmental regulation would be grate.

often marijuanas grate medical walu are mist, some people doesn’t even really have an alternative

#26 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:23 PM

Smoking is always bad for you, damages your lungs, reduces the oxygen in your bloodstream (and your ability to have erection or lubrication and subsequent orgasm. ( Smoking can also negatively effect your immune system)

Eating THC that has transferred into fat, or ingesting it in pill form however can be beneficial for pain or glaucoma.

My mother caught me drinking at age 12 and had me write a 30 page referenced paper on the effects of THC, tobacco and alcohol on the brain. I learned that THC mimics a hormone produced naturally by the body that produces a feeling of well being. Over time with use the body stops producing this in its own, so one can in fact become addicted and depressed. I've seen this in people close to me.

Of course, I'm an advocate of responsible use (non smoking) and regulation for people whom it benefits.

#27 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:32 AM

My mother caught me drinking at age 12 and had me write a 30 page referenced paper on the effects of THC, tobacco and alcohol on the brain.

what an amazing mother!

#28 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:56 AM

Well THC does have some medical benifits. If you have Alzheimers then go for it. Legalize weed and tax it like everthing else. I recommend the documentary grass for any interested in the history of weed. I think you can find it on google video. The old adds were pretty amazing.

#29 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:32 AM

what an amazing mother!

well if my 10 year old Avianna, joins this forum as she intends, and reads all my back posts some day--fear be with her!

#30 narcissistic

• 110 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:00 PM

I learned that THC mimics a hormone produced naturally by the body that produces a feeling of well being. Over time with use the body stops producing this in its own, so one can in fact become addicted and depressed. I've seen this in people close to me.

I’m not sure that it really works that way thc binds to the same receptors as the natural anamin (witch is necessarily for general well being) when smoking weed dos receptors will become over stimulated and will gradually decrees in number (it works the same way with dopamine opiate or serotonin receptors when other drugs are taken) when the person eventually stops smoking weed the natural anamin relies is as low as it us to and even worse the receptors to take up the anamin are also fever then before smoking weed resulting in probably not depression, as other moamins are match more important, but maybe a slight desirer to smoke agene; any way the number of receptors will return to normal and no permanent damage has bin done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users