Photo
- - - - -

Resveratrol Synergists

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:05 PM

What is everyone taking with there resveratrol?

Here are things that I've read that may synergize with rres:
1) Lecithin
2) Quercetin (questionable as it inhibits sirt1 in vivo)
3) Grape seed extract or Pine bark extract
4) Other polyphenols
5) Take with fat
6) Dissolve in alcohol
7) Wine

Most resveratrol pills will contain some extra goodies.

I've ordered some activin GSE specifically to synergize with resveratrol (since i'm taking BAC's resveratrol only powder now). I'm thinking about buying some Lecithin as well.

I'm doing this because for lots of compounds they are much more effective in vivo when taken with related phytonutrients. For example full spectrum green tea extract in more effect than EGCG in isolation.

#2 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:37 PM

I take Fo-Ti (Now) with my Nature's Way Resveratrol Plus as well as 100mg Grapeseed extract (all three 3x daily before breakfast, with lunch and with supper). Always some fat (morning and supper fishoil, lunch well bound to be fat :-) ). I kinda like the new Now 100mg Reseratrol with 100mg Redwine extract as well as 200mg grapeseed and some greentea, quite inexpensive too so i might order it in the future so i'd take like 1x now and 2x country life.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:02 PM

Aren't the NOW tabs. 50 mg reveratrol each, thus a "serving" of 100 mg reveratrol = 2 tabs? Where I've found it, that makes it more expensive than CL tabs by a fair bit.

CL tabs have grape skin and seed extract and pine bark extract also. Drs. Best have some grape something or other also....

#4 fearfrost

• 63 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:20 PM

I take my resveratrol with lecithin and when possible with a shot of vodka or glass of wine. I did use quercetin for a long time, and sometimes I still do, but once I am out I will discontinue quercetin. I also take Ellagic acid with it.

My Resveratrol Synergistic Plan
40-400 mg resveratrol (currently transitioning up to 400 from 40)
100 mg ellagic acid
1000 mg lecithin
Grape seed extract and Pine bark extract in varying amounts (found in Nature's way)
small glass of alcohol, especially wine

See aslo:
Ellagic acid and quercetin interact synergistically with resveratrol in the induction of apoptosis and cause transient cell cycle arrest in human leukemia cells.
Cancer Letters, Volume 218, Issue 2, Pages 141-151
S. Mertens-Talcott, S. Percival

#5 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:53 PM

Ah yes, sheesh must be my bad day... Now resveratrol is err, somewhat more expensive then country life of course. arghh... ;), thanks tintinet (sounds french to me...)

I forgot to include Curcumin in my Resveratrol synergics. I do also take an aqeous pomegrenade extract (jarrows) but not really shure of any synergism with resveratrol.

#6 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:06 PM

I forgot to include Curcumin in my Resveratrol synergics. .

Do you have any info handy on Curcumin and resveratrol?

#7 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:23 PM

Let me quote for convenience a few discussions on sci.life-extension, i just can't put it down shorter and better :-). Hope this helps.
-
"
There are many studies that show that Curcumin has many of the same effects as SIRT1 (SIR2): promotes HSP70, reduces P53, extends life span. I was speculating to myself that Curcumin may activate SIRT1 (SIR2). SIRT1 is an HDAC. But this paper says, no, Curcumin activates HAT. We may find out then that SIRT1 and HAT result in the similar patterns of histone deacetylation. That would be pretty remarkable.

As long as we're speculating, I'm willing to bet that Resveratrol also activates HAT. Have you ever counted the number of similar observed effects of Curcumin and Resveratrol:

both activate:
PPAR Gamma, P53, HSP70, ARE, ...

both inhibit:
COX2, Cytokines, ...

both extend life span
both have low bioavailability

And I have never found a single instance where Resveratrol and
Curcumin are observed to have opposite effects.

One interesting thing, though, SIRT1 is supposed to inhibit PPAR Gamma
and Curcumin and Resveratrol promote PPAR Gamma.
"
http://groups.google...db233c4b0c855b2

-
"
It appears that resveratrol may be acting at least in part, via Nrf2
activation of the ARE which phenolic antioxidants like BHT and
curcumin do as well
"
http://groups.google...a527a53140962ab

#8 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:51 PM

Hmmm, very interesting. I didn't realize that curcumin increased lifespan.

#9 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:24 AM

Regarding taking resveratrol with wine or other alcoholic beverage, this paper says that the absorption is "broadly equivalent" in aqueous and alcoholic matrices. They also say "Some significant matrix effects were observed for the serum polyphenol concentrations". I guess that's the teaser to make you buy the full paper... It's entirely plausible that there are compounds that would synergize with resveratrol in a receptor-based fashion. Resveratrol is already absorbed very well, so any tricks aimed at increasing absorption, like dissolving it in EtOH or taking it with oil are probably not necessary. It would be really great if there were a way to reduce the conjugation and get more than 1.7 to 1.9% free resveratrol in serum. Take it sublingually to evade first pass metabolism? Maybe with a little vinegar to keep it protonated in the mouth (to enhance sublingual absorption)? This is a slightly educated wild-ass guess...

Clin Biochem. 2003 Feb;36(1):79-87
Absorption of three wine-related polyphenols in three different matrices by healthy subjects.
Goldberg DM, Yan J, Soleas GJ.
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, ON, Canada M5G 1L5. david.goldberg@utoronto.ca
BACKGROUND: Despite their powerful biologic activities conducive to protection against atherosclerosis, cancer and inflammatory diseases demonstrated in vitro, there is considerable doubt whether the polyphenolic constituents present in red wine and other dietary components are effective in vivo. OBJECTIVE: We have tested the absorptive efficiency of three of these constituents (trans-resveratrol, [+]-catechin and quercetin) when given orally to healthy human subjects in three different media. DESIGN: Twelve healthy males aged 25 to 45 were randomly assigned to three different groups consuming orally one of the following polyphenols: trans-resveratrol, 25 mg/70 kg; [+]-catechin 25 mg/70 kg; quercetin 10 mg/70 kg. Each polyphenol was randomly administered at 4-week intervals in three different matrices: white wine (11.5% ethanol), grape juice, and vegetable juice/homogenate. Blood was collected at zero time and at four intervals over the first four hours after consumption; urine was collected at zero time and for the following 24-h. The sums of free and conjugated polyphenols were measured in blood serum and urine by a gas-chromatographic method. RESULTS: All three polyphenols were present in serum and urine predominantly as glucuronide and sulfate conjugates, reaching peak concentrations in the former around 30-min after consumption. The free polyphenols accounted for 1.7 to 1.9% (trans-resveratrol), 1.1 to 6.5% ([+]-catechin) and 17.2 to 26.9% (quercetin) of the peak serum concentrations. The absorption of trans-resveratrol was the most efficient as judged by peak serum concentration, area-under-the curve (4 h) and urinary 24-h excretion (16-17% of dose consumed). [+]-Catechin was the poorest by these criteria (urine 24-h excretion 1.2%-3.0% of dose consumed), with quercetin being intermediate (urine 24-h excretion 2.9%-7.0% of dose consumed). Some significant matrix effects were observed for the serum polyphenol concentrations, but in the case of urine no matrix promoted significantly higher excretion than the other two. CONCLUSIONS: The absorption of these three polyphenols is broadly equivalent in aqueous and alcoholic matrices but, at peak concentrations of 10 to 40 nmol/L, is inadequate to permit circulating concentrations of 5 to 100 micromol/L consistent with in vitro biologic activity. The voluminous literature reporting powerful in vitro anticancer and antiinflammatory effects of the free polyphenols is irrelevant, given that they are absorbed as conjugates.
PMID: 12554065

#10 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:29 AM

Interventions in aging and age-associated pathologies by means of nutritional approaches K. Kitani, T. Yokozawa, T. Osawa National
Institute for Longevity Sciences, 36-3, Gengo, Moriokacho, Obu-shi, Japan 4748522
The "Free Radical Theory of Aging" (FRTA) initially proposed by Harman [1]) half a century ago has been increasingly supported in
recent years. However, while there have been a number of studies demonstrating a significant effect of antioxidant treatment in
preventing experimentally induced pathologies that are believed to be at least partially caused by oxygen induced tissue damage, so-called antioxidant strategies have not been shown convincingly to be effective in increasing life spans of animals [2]). Accordingly, the general consensus of experimental gerontology in the last century was "The only reproducible means of prolonging survivals of animals is the calorie restriction paradigm." As a challenge against this dogma, we attempted to examine the effect of two potent antioxidants, one
tetrahydrocurcumin (TC), a biotransformed metabolite of curcumin contained in turmeric of Indian curry, and the other green tea
polyphenols (PPs). Male C57L/6JNia (Harlan-Sprague Dawley, Ind.) began to receive treatments at the age of 13 months. In the TC experiment, animals received TC containing pellets (0.2%) or standard pellets (MF, Oriental Ltd., protein 24%). In the PPs experiment, animals received normal diets (MF) and normal drinking water or water containing green tea water extract product (Sunphenon 100S, Taiyokagaku, Yokkaichi, Japan) containing various PPs ( ÅÑ70%) at a concentration of 80 mg/l both pasteurized by g ray irradiation. Survivals of animals were examined until deaths of these animals. Average life span (days) in TC fed mice was 11.7% longer (882.2 ±154.6, mean ± S.D.) than in control mice (797.6 ± 151.2, both n=50) (P<0.01). The 10% longest survival was also significantly greater (+6.5%, each n=5, P<0.05) in TC fed animals. The increase in average life expectancy after 24 months of age as calculated by including mice that died before 24 months as negative days was 125.9 %. Similarly, in PPs fed mice, the average life span increased by 6.4%, (801.1 ± 121.5, 852.7 ± 88.2, control vs. PP fed mice, each n=50, P<0.01). The increase in average life expectancy after 24 months was 72.6%. Body weights of TC fed animals were slightly (4~6%) but significantly (P<0.05) lower compared with those in control mice in the first 6 months of treatments. Thereafter the difference was totally lost. In PP fed mice, average body weights were almost identical to those in control mice throughout the observation periods. Most of past attempts including that by Lipman and coworkers [2]) by nutritional means have failed in achieving a statistically significant prolongation of life spans of animals. However, as shown in the present study, some nutriceuticals appear to have potential of significantly increasing life spans of animals. Both nutriceuticals have been shown to be effective in preventing a number of experimentally induced age associated disorders including cancer, atherosclerosis and others. Furthermore, the advantage of these agents is the least toxic nature to humans which has been confirmed in human experimentation of thousands of years. Since these agents are known to be effective in preventing atherosclerosis which does not involve wild type rodents but is the number one killer of elderly humans, it is expected that supplementation of these agents may be effective for prolonging the life span (at least health span) of humans possibly more effectively than observed in rodents. In conclusion, nutritional approaches in prolonging the health span (if not life span) of humans may be more promising than believed before and deserves further extensive study using nutriceuticals possessing antioxidant properties.

References 1) Harman D. J. Gerontol. 12:257-263, 1956
2) Lipman RD et al. Mech Ageing Dev 103:269-284, 1998
Key words: mice, life span, tetrahydrocurcumin, green tea polyphenol, antioxidants

#11 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:55 AM

I noticed that Ray and Terry's resveratrol had this to say about lecithin:

One of the difficulties with resveratrol is that is easily oxidized and difficult to absorb. Research suggests taking resveratrol with lecithin can enhance absorption; therefore, if you take a lecithin-derived phosphatidylcholine supplement (such as Ray & Terry's PC), we recommend that you take it at the same time as resveratrol to enhance absorption.

Unfortunately, they don't provide a reference.

Stephen

#12 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:11 AM

Tintinet, outstanding find! Thanks for that.

#13 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:21 AM

Tintinet, outstanding find!  Thanks for that.

Yes, I'll second that!!!

#14 macanizer

• 53 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:46 AM

Pterostilbene, a cousin of resveratrol. It's found in grapes but not in wine. Blueberries are rich with pterostilbene too. Swanson sells pterostilbene 25%, anyone have experience with this brand?

It's supposed to lower blood glucose and act as an antidiabetic. It has been shown to reduce glucose levels in rats by almost half.

A similarity with resveratrol is its antifungal properties, pterostilbene is at least 60 times more potent than RESV.

[edit] excerpt of a study done on pterostilbene, quercetin and resveratrol

Different phenolic compounds, including resveratrol (RESV), show potent antioxidant effects and may have therapeutic applications in oxidative stress-related diseases such as cancer [1–3]. The cancer chemopreventive activity of RESV was first reported by Jang et al. [4]. The mechanisms by which RESV exerts its antitumor effects are under active investigation [3] and may include, for example: 1) inhibition of ribonucleotide reductase [5], DNA polymerase [6], protein kinase C [7], or cyclooxygenase-2 [8] activities; 2) inhibition of reactive oxygen species-mediated carcinogenesis [4] or cell proliferation [9]; and 3) apoptotic cell death activation [10–13]. However, potential inhibition of cancer growth by RESV is strongly limited due to its low bioavailability [14]. Thus, structural modifications of the RESV molecule to increase its bioavailability while preserving its biologic activity appeared necessary. The 4′-OH and stereoisometry in its trans-conformation are absolutely required for inhibition of cell proliferation [15]. Pterostilbene (PTER), a naturally occurring analogue of RESV but is about 60 to 100 times stronger as an antifungal agent, shows similar anticarcinogenic properties [16]. Besides, flavonoids are among the most potent antioxidants because they show one or more of the following structural elements: an o-diphenolic group, two to three double bonds conjugated with the 4-oxo function, and OH groups in positions 3 and 5. Quercetin (QUER) combines all these three properties, and previous research has confirmed that it also exhibits antitumor properties, likely due to immune stimulation, free radical scavenging, alteration of the mitotic cycle in tumor cells, gene expression modification, antiangiogenesis activity, apoptosis induction, or a combination of these effects [2,17]. Because potential anticancer effects induced by natural polyphenols still have not been proven effective by systemic administration, we investigated the anticancer properties of PTER and QUER at bioavailable concentrations. We found that their association strongly inhibits the metastatic growth of the highly malignant B16 melanoma. Link to article

Edited by macanizer, 16 March 2007 - 04:32 PM.

#15 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:28 AM

Thats a freakin awesome find
Just another reason to take your Tumeric and Green Tea!

#16 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:05 AM

Kind of obscure as a supplement, "THC" (not that one! ;) ) - DTE 30

#17 mediumspiny

• 44 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:08 PM

I have just been found to have hypercholesterolaemia, so I am obviously interested in anything that will help lower my blood cholesterol levels. I am already taking RESV (10mg country life + 37.5mg Nature's way; aiming to increase to 200mg daily) and found this info on pterostilbene very interesting. I have ordered some of the Swainson pterostilbene and will let people know how I get on with it.

I have managed to find a couple of studies on Pterostilbene (PTS) from Agnes Rimando and colleagues showing both the hypolipidaemic effect and antioxicant effect:

Pterostilbene, a New Agonist for the Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor -Isoform, Lowers Plasma Lipoproteins and Cholesterol in Hypercholesterolemic Hamsters

Abstract:

Resveratrol, a stilbenoid antioxidant found in grapes, wine, peanuts and other berries, has been reported to have hypolipidemic properties. We investigated whether resveratrol and its three analogues (pterostilbene, piceatannol, and resveratrol trimethyl ether) would activate the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor (PPAR) isoform. This nuclear receptor is proposed to mediate the activity of lipid-lowering drugs such as the fibrates. The four stilbenes were evaluated at 1, 10, 100, and 300 M along with ciprofibrate (positive control), for the activation of endogenous PPAR in H4IIEC3 cells. Cells were transfected with a peroxisome proliferator response element-AB (rat fatty acyl CoA -oxidase response element)-luciferase gene reporter construct. Pterostilbene demonstrated the highest induction of PPAR showing 8- and 14-fold increases in luciferase activity at 100 and 300 M, respectively, relative to the control. The maximal luciferase activity responses to pterostilbene were higher than those obtained with the hypolipidemic drug, ciprofibrate (33910 and 19460 relative luciferase units, respectively), at 100 M. Hypercholesterolemic hamsters fed with pterostilbene at 25 ppm of the diet showed 29% lower plasma low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, 7% higher plasma high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, and 14% lower plasma glucose as compared to the control group. The LDL/HDL ratio was also statistically significantly lower for pterostilbene, as compared to results for the control animals, at this diet concentration. Results from in vitro studies showed that pterostilbene acts as a PPAR agonist and may be a more effective PPAR agonist and hypolipidemic agent than resveratrol. In vivo studies demonstrate that pterostilbene possesses lipid and glucose lowering effects.

Cancer Chemopreventive and Antioxidant Activities of Pterostilbene, a Naturally Occurring Analogue of Resveratrol

Abstract:

Pterostilbene, a natural methoxylated analogue of resveratrol, was evaluated for antioxidative potential. The peroxyl-radical scavenging activity of pterostilbene was the same as that of resveratrol, having total reactive antioxidant potentials of 237 ± 58 and 253 ± 53 M, respectively. Both compounds were found to be more effective than Trolox as free radical scavengers. Using a plant system, pterostilbene also was shown to be as effective as resveratrol in inhibiting electrolyte leakage caused by herbicide-induced oxidative damage, and both compounds had the same activity as -tocopherol. Pterostilbene showed moderate inhibition (IC50 = 19.8 M) of cyclooxygenase (COX)-1, and was weakly active (IC50 = 83.9 M) against COX-2, whereas resveratrol strongly inhibited both isoforms of the enzyme with IC50 values of approximately 1 M. Using a mouse mammary organ culture model, carcinogen-induced preneoplastic lesions were, similarly to resveratrol, significantly inhibited by pterostilbene (ED50 = 4.8 M), suggesting antioxidant activity plays an important role in this process.

Plus one study on RESV showing that it lowers lipid levels in rats:

Experimental study of resveratrol and flavonoids in red wine with regard to their possible hypolipemic effects

Resveratrol (trans-3,5,4'-trihydroxystilben) is a polyphenol (phytoalexin) naturally found in wine and different therapeutic plants. It is a substance with an antioxidant and estrogenic effect and the ability to inhibit the growth of some tumours. Some studies mention its possible antiaggregation, neuroprotective and antiallergic effect. In the submitted pilot study the authors investigated the effect of resveratrol and flavonoids (anthocyanins, catechins) on serum lipid levels, in particular total cholesterol and liver enzymes in the laboratory rat. In the experiments healthy animals were used (fed a standard diet) as well as hypercholesterolemic animals (fed a special sugar diet) and treated animals. The investigated parameters were total cholesterol, HDL-cholesterol, aminotransferase aspartate (AST) and alanine aminotransferase (ALT). The conclusions of the investigation indicate that resveratrol and flavonoids (anthocyanins, catechins) found in red wine significantly reduce the total cholesterol level in the hypercholesterolemic rat. The resultant effect of resveratrol and flavonoids on liver enzymes in our experiment is not unequivocal.

The "not unequivocal" statement at the end may be a mis-translation from Czech as another translation says "were ambiguous".

#18 saxiephon

• 79 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:39 PM

Cholesterol lowering
"At the recent American Chemical Society meeting it was reported that a compound found in blueberries called pterostilbene has "the potential to be developed into a nutraceutical for lowering cholesterol, particularly for those who do not respond well to conventional drugs," reports foodnavigator.com (8/24/04). Study authors from the USDA's Agricultural Research Service (ARS) indicate that the compound found in Vaccinium berries could be a "potent weapon in the battle against obesity and heart disease through its cholesterol-reducing potential." Head researcher, Agnes M. Rimando and her associates "earlier showed that this compound may help fight cancer." An abstract of the study is found on the Agricultural Research Service website which also studied the presence of resveratrol and piceatannol. According to the technical abstract, "These naturally occurring stilbenes, known to be strong antioxidants and to have cancer chemopreventive activity, will add to purported health benefits derived from consumption of these small fruits."

"Eating blueberries may help you remember where you placed your car keys—important findings if you’d like to keep Alzheimer’s and heart disease at bay.
The research was presented Monday, August 19, at the ACS national meeting in Boston.

"In one study, Jim Joseph, director of the neuroscience laboratory in the USDA Human Nutrition Center (HNRCA), fed blueberry extractions—the equivalent of a human eating one cup of blueberries a day—to mice and then ran them through a series of motor skills tests.

"He found that the blueberry-fed mice performed better than their control group counterparts in motor behavioral learning and memory, and he noticed an increase in exploratory behavior. When he examined their brains, he found a marked decrease in oxidative stress in two regions of the brain and better retention of signal-transmitting neurons compared with the control mice.

"The chemical that appears responsible for this neuron protection, anthocyanin also gives blueberries their color and might be the key component of the blueberry’s antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Blueberries, along with other colorful fruits and vegetables, test high in their ability to subdue oxygen free radicals. These oxygen radicals, which can damage cell membranes and DNA through a process known as oxidative stress, are blamed for many of the dysfunctions and diseases associated with aging.

"These findings could become increasingly important as the U.S. population ages. It is projected that by 2050, more than 30% of Americans will be over 65 and will have the decreased cognitive and motor function that accompanies advanced age. Joseph is currently testing the effects of blueberries on humans. Preliminary results show that people who ate a cup of blueberries a day have performed 5–6% better on motor skills tests than the control group."

#19 saxiephon

• 79 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:55 PM

I also found this program which may be a great help.

Five ways to drop your cholesterol by 30 points in 30
days without pharmaceuticals or Statin drugs

By Mike Adams, the Health Ranger
NewsTarget.com

Interested in dropping your cholesterol by 30 points (or
60, or even 100!) but want to avoid the dangerous side
effects of statin drugs? My name is Mike Adams. I'm a
holistic nutritionist and author of over 1,500 articles
on health and nutrition. My total cholesterol used to be
265, and I was prediabetic and nearly obese. But through
the simple, natural and completely safe strategies I'll
share with you here, I was able to drop my cholesterol to
the following numbers, as verified in my published lab
results:

LDL Cholesterol (the "bad" kind): 67
HDL Cholesterol (the "good" kind): 62

(You can see the proof in my lab report that I'll reveal
at the end of this Five Step Solution.)

Since discovering the simple secrets to lowering
cholesterol naturally -- without pharmaceuticals -- I've
shared these secrets with literally thousands of people,
including close friends and family members who have
dropped as much as 100 points off their cholesterol in a
mere 30 days, drastically reducing their risk of heart
disease and stroke.

These strategies are more powerful than any medication,
and they don't have any negative side effects like
cholesterol drugs do, such as memory loss, muscle
fatigue, CoQ10 deficiency, vitamin D deficiency, sex
hormone depletion and adrenal depletion. These strategies
are 100 percent natural and freely available to everyone.
I do not sell any nutritional products whatsoever, and I
do not earn any commissions on products suggestions
mentioned here. You just get the straight facts on how to
slash your cholesterol by at least 30 points in 30 days
without using dangerous pharmaceuticals.

Step 1

Switch from animal fats to plant fats

Conventional medical experts keep telling people to limit
their fat intake in order to lower their cholesterol. But
their advice is at least ten years behind the times. What
we now know, based on cutting edge nutritional research,
is that it is the kind of fat that determines the health
effects.

And the simple rule to follow for lowering cholesterol
is: avoid animal fats, but consume plant fats.

What are animal fats? Any fatty food or beverage that
comes from an animal source, including milk, ice cream,
cheese and other dairy products. It also includes
hamburger, red meat, lunchmeats, bacon and sausage.
Nearly all animal fats are saturated fats that will raise
your cholesterol and substantially boost your risk of
dying from a heart attack.

Plant fats, on the other hand will lower your
cholesterol, even if you eat a very high proportion of
fats. My own diet is sometimes as much as 40 percent fat,
but my fats are all from plant sources. Those include:

Avocados, almonds, pecans, peanuts, chia seeds, olive
oil, coconut oil, macadamia nut oil, and so on. If it's
from the plant world, the fat is good for you.

But always eat your plant fats raw if possible. Raw nuts
are healthier than cooked nuts. Raw avocados are
healthier than cooked avocados. Extra virgin olive oil is
healthier than high-temperature processed olive oil.
Remember: High temperatures alter fats and make them
unhealthy, so source your fats from plants and eat 'em
raw or in a minimally processed state.

Just one serving of raw almonds per day can slash your
risk of heart attacks or stroke by 53 percent, according
to the research. And raw nuts and seeds offer plenty of
calcium, by the way, to replace your dairy products. Chia
seeds and almonds are both good sources of calcium.

Next: How to make your own fresh, raw almond milk,
avocado smoothies and more...

Step 2

Eat and drink raw nuts, especially almonds

One easy way to replace animal fats with plant fats is to
make your own almond milk. It's a simple recipe, and all
you need is almonds, water, a blender (a VitaMix is
recommended) and a nut milk bag or cheesecloth to strain
out the nut pulp.

Just soak two cups of almonds for 8 hours, toss into a
VitaMix, blend with six cups of water, add some stevia
sweetener and natural vanilla flavoring, then strain
through a nut milk bag (or cheesecloth). Voila! You've
got your own super healthy almond milk. It's delicious,
easy to make, and far healthier than homogenized cow's
milk.

Almond milk is not only far better for you than cow's
milk, it also has anti-cancer properties, brain-boosting
nutrients and cardiovascular protectors.

You can also buy unsweetened almond milk in cartons. Just
ask for the Blue Diamond brand at your health food store.

Not into almonds? Try this amazing avocado smoothie
recipe (which is detailed in my book, below): Blend a
raw, fresh avocado with raw cacao powder (that's real
chocolate), stevia, agave nectar (a natural sweetener),
chia seeds and some milk (your choice of milk, you can
use almond milk, soy milk, rice milk or just plain
water).

The result? A delicious chocolate mint ice cream smoothie
that REALLY tastes like ice cream due to the rich avocado
fats. You have to try it to believe it. Every person I've
made this drink for was astonished at how good it tastes.
It's almost sinfully delicious. It's one way to have a
chocolate ice cream shake without all the guilt (and
without any refined sugars, animal fats or other harmful
ingredients).

To see even more ideas on using raw nuts, seeds and
avocados in delicious smoothies, read my book "Superfood
Smoothies" at
http://www.truthpubl...dSmoothies.html

By drinking some raw nuts, seeds or avocados daily, your
cholesterol will drop rapidly. Expect to see MORE than a
30 point drop in 30 days if you follow this step (unless,
of course, your LDL cholesterol is already under 130, in
which case you have less room for improvement).

Next: Discover two superfoods that contain natural
cholesterol-lowering medicines, and they're found right
in your grocery store...

Step 3

Eat more berries and garlic

Did you know that blueberries contain natural
cholesterol-lowering medicines? Just like pharmaceutical
companies synthesize medicines in a lab, the blueberry
plant synthesizes natural phytochemicals in the blueberry
and stores them in the skin. The blue pigment that gives
the berry its color, in fact, is made of a class of
medicinal chemicals called anthocyanins, and they have
well documented medicinal properties.

Eating a pint of blueberries each day (fresh is best, but
frozen or freeze-dried also works) typically lowers total
cholesterol by at least 25 points in 30 days. And that's
just from blueberries alone. Plus, you receive all the
other antioxidant benefits, including nervous system
protection, skin protection from UV light, and many other
benefits. (And you don't need a prescription to buy this
natural medicine!)

Blueberries are also delicious, and they don't cost a
fortune like medications do. Plus, there are no negative
side effects. But don't expect your doctor to know about
these medicinal properties -- I've yet to meet a single
doctor who was aware of the healing power of blueberries.
It's not because doctors aren't intelligent, it's just
because they were never taught this information in
medical school. (Med schools don't teach nutrition.)

In fact, when people go to visit their doctors after
eating blueberries for a month, their doctor is often
astonished at their improved cholesterol numbers, and
they automatically assume the person has been taking
statin drugs. But no! The improvement is due to the
blueberries. Don't let your doctor talk you out of it,
either. Mother Nature knows more than any M.D.

Garlic is another miraculous cholesterol-balancing food.
It contains powerful anti-cancer medicine as well, making
it one of the most well-documented natural medicines in
the history of medical science. To experience a
cholesterol-lowering effect from garlic, you'll need to
eat a lot. Baked garlic is delicious, and you can use it
in stir-fry dishes. Just don't blend it up into a
smoothie unless you have an adventurous taste. (Raw
garlic juice can be quite nauseating.)

If you don't want to eat the garlic, try taking garlic
supplements. The top brand I recommend is Kyolic, which
offers Aged Garlic Extract. You can find these
supplements at any vitamin store or health food retailer.

Add blueberries and garlic to your diet, and you'll not
only see an impressive balancing of cholesterol, you'll
also help prevent cancer, heart attacks, nervous system
disorders and many other health problems.

Next: Three foods you absolutely must avoid if you want
healthy cholesterol...

Step 4

Avoid hydrogenated oils, trans fats and homogenized milk

Now that you've got the "good stuff" in you, it's time to
stop poisoning your body with unhealthy foods that
actually cause high cholesterol. These foods, all of
which directly promote atherosclerosis, heart attacks and
stroke are:

Hydrogenated oils / trans fatty acids
Fried foods
Homogenized dairy products

Hydrogenated oils are getting a lot of attention in the
press lately. The science is not in doubt: These oils
cause great harm to the human body. They're found in
margarines, fried snack foods, chips, cookies, crackers,
tortillas and many other products. Look for the word
"hydrogenated" on the ingredients label and do not buy or
consume any product made with hydrogenated or partially-
hydrogenated oils.

Fried foods are also extremely dangerous to human health.
This includes french fries, egg rolls, fried onions and
anything that's been cooked in oil at high temperatures.
In addition to the chemical alterations of the oils that
happen at high temperatures, the frying process creates
acrylamides, which are deadly, cancer-causing chemicals
that are now widely recognized as a serious danger to
human health. Fast food restaurants that fry foods use
the same frying oil over and over again, concentrating
the acrylamide content so that each successive batch of
french fries or egg rolls is slightly more toxic than the
previous batch. If you want healthy cholesterol, you must
avoid all fried foods for the rest of your life. This is
not optional. Eating fried foods is simply incompatible
with being healthy.

Homogenized dairy products are not only made of animal
fats (which we talked about in step one), they are also
artificially modified fats that are physically broken
down into microscopic molecules that can enter the blood
supply and clog up your arteries. It's one reason why the
consumption of cow's milk is so strongly correlated with
heart disease. If you must drink milk, the only milk I
recommend is raw, unpasteurized, unprocessed milk that's
delivered fresh from the farm.

So eliminate all hydrogenated oils, trans fatty acids,
fried foods and homogenized dairy products from your
diet. This will further accelerate your cholesterol
recovery!

Next: The final secret that multiplies the effectiveness
of everything you've learned so far...

Step 5

Commit to a daily exercise activity

You knew this was coming: Exercise really matters when it
comes to cholesterol. The more you exercise, the higher
your HDL will be and the lower your LDL will be. And
that's good!

You can't just eat your way to perfect health, you also
have to move your body. But the good news is that you
don't have to go crazy with intense exercise to
experience astounding benefits. Just a 30 minute walk
five days a week will help considerably, and if you do a
short 3-minute sprint in the middle of those walks, you
can nearly double your cardiovascular benefit.

It's true! The best exercise combines steady, low-impact
cardiovascular repetition with a short burst of high-
intensity exertion. The benefits to your heart, arteries,
lungs and cholesterol numbers are quite astonishing.

So pick up the exercise habit and make it part of your
life. I exercise at least one hour each day in one form
or another, but I mix it up to keep it interesting.
Pursue walking, swimming, hiking, cycling, dancing,
martial arts or whatever interests you. Just make it a
habit, not an afterthought.

Remember: High cholesterol is all about what's in your
blood, and if you want healthy blood, you've got to
nourish your blood and move your blood. The only way to
do that is through nutrition and exercise.

But it's easier than you think! Just get started and
you'll notice results very quickly. The dietary changes
will give you more energy in just a few days, and that
will make exercise easier. Work into the exercise slowly,
gradually, so that you don't overexert yourself or run
the risk of injury. After 30 days, you'll notice a world
of difference, and if you've been following the dietary
advice give here, too, you'll almost assuredly see your
total cholesterol drop 30 points or more. (Drops of 100
points in 30 days are not uncommon.)

Safety note: Do not abandon cholesterol medications
without consulting with your doctor first. Be sure to
inform your doctor of changes in your nutrition and
exercise, and work within the practical guidelines of
what is safe for you. What typically happens here is that
the doctor removes the patient from cholesterol drugs
once the numbers settle into a healthy range. So by
achieving healthy cholesterol numbers naturally, your
doctor will almost certainly take you off the
prescription. You can then use nutrition and exercise to
maintain healthy cholesterol numbers for life, and you'll
never need cholesterol drugs again.

By the way, did you ever wonder why this simple
cholesterol solution isn't promoted by the medical
industry or the mainstream media? It's because treating
high cholesterol with drugs is a multi billion dollar
business. Drug companies don't want people to know they
can lower their cholesterol on their own. And the
mainstream media is addicted to drug company advertising
money, so it never reports the real story on disease
treatments or prevention.

When it comes to your health, don't believe the official
sources. They're all corrupted by corporate influence.
Believe in your body's innate ability to heal itself with
the help of foods, herbs, supplements and physical
exercise. Try these five steps for 30 days yourself, and
you'll see just how powerful natural medicine can really
be!

# # #

About the author

Mike Adams is the creator of NewsTarget, Truth Publishing
and the Five Step Solution you're reading now. A former
pre-diabetic suffering from chronic back pain and
depression, Adams cured his own health problems by
learning and applying the secrets of natural medicine
found throughout nature: through foods, herbs,
nutritional supplements, sunlight, exercise and a variety
of natural treatments.

#20 saxiephon

• 79 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:59 PM

There's even a patent for use of TR and Pterostilbene,

Title:
NEUROGENESIS BY MUSCARINIC RECEPTOR MODULATION
Document Type and Number:
United States Patent 20070049576
Kind Code:
A1
Link to this page:
http://www.freepaten...0070049576.html
Abstract:
The instant disclosure describes methods for treating diseases and conditions of the central and peripheral nervous system by stimulating or increasing neurogenesis. The disclosure includes compositions and methods based on muscarinic receptor modulation, such as via inhibition of acetylcholine esterase (AChE) activity, alone or in combination with another neurogenic agent to stimulate or activate the formation of new nerve cells.

#21 saxiephon

• 79 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:21 PM

Blueberries may help prevent colon cancer

On March 25, 2007, the 233rd national meeting of the American Chemical Society was the site of a presentation by Bandaru S. Reddy, PhD, of Rutgers University in Piscataway, New Jersey, of the discovery that a compound occurring in blueberries helps protect laboratory animals from developing colon cancer. The compound, known as pterostilbene, is an antioxidant similar to resveratrol that could be developed into a preventive nutritional supplement.

Dr Reddy and his colleagues gave the carcinogen azoxymethane to eighteen rats to induce colon cancer. The rats were provided with balanced diets, half of which were supplemented with pterostilbene. After eight weeks, animals that received the compound had 57 percent fewer precancerous colon lesions than the control rats as well as reduced colon cell proliferation. Rats that consumed pterostilbene also experienced a reduction in the expression of genes involved in inflammation, which is a risk factor for the disease. Dr Reddy noted that some research suggests that pterostilbene may lower lipids, which, when elevated, are another known risk factor for colon cancer. A study conducted by coauthor Agnes Rimando of the USDA, also presented at the American Chemical Society's meeting, revealed that blueberry skins reduce cholesterol in animals when added to their diets.

Dr Reddy suggested that pterostilbene could be combined with COX-2 inhibitors, which are anti-inflammatory drugs that have demonstrated a preventive effect against colon cancer in laboratory animals. By adding pterostilbene, the drugs could be administered in lower doses, which would reduce some of their well-known side effects.

The research, funded by the National Institutes of Health, is the first to demonstrate the ability of pterostilbene to combat colon cancer. “This study underscores the need to include more berries in the diet, especially blueberries,” Dr Reddy stated.

#22 cherrysilver

• 60 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:31 PM

I was thinking about taking my Resveratrol mixed in with my whey protein shake along with some liquid Lecithin. Do you think this would be an acceptable way to take the Reservatrol?

#23 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:10 AM

Hopefully you're using a relatively tasteless resveratrol source. While I find the synthetic 99%+ purity t-resv. easy to take with almost anything, tastewise, I find PC extracts (even 98%) pretty offensive in terms of gustatory qualities.

#24 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:34 PM

Anyone who is taking quercetin with their resveratrol care to report in? Any before and after comparisons?

#25 fearfrost

• 63 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 02:44 AM

I have been taking quercetin with my resveratrol since day 1 (4.5 months ago). I took a break from adding quercetin for about two weeks, and solely used resveratrol extract (50%) during that time. I am now taking 1g of quercetin a day with my 400-500 mg of resveratrol. During the times in which I was not taking the quercetin, I did not get as much of an "effect". This is all very subjective I know. However, I can feel a marked increase in the effects when I do take the quercetin. The effects include increased motivation, alertness, late nights (but not any trouble sleeping), more energy while exercising, and less morning mind-fog (aka: bright eyed and bushy tailed in the morning). Overall, these effects were most noticeable during the first month, but they are definitely still present. I am guessing that at least some of the effects have to be placebo, but it is weird that they are lasting even to the 4th month.

Three interesting events have occurred since I started resveratrol supplementation.
1) 2 cases of severe sore throat only lasting about 2 days. One happened 1 week after initiating resveratrol, the second happened 3 days after increasing my dosage from 40mg to 400mg. Worst sore throats of my life, but very short lived with no other symptoms
2) a viral and bacterial combo infection that turned my eyes completely demon-red. Lasted 3 days
3) swollen lymph nodes under my arm

None of these events had ever happened prior to resveratrol, but there is absolutely no way to prove the connection to resveratrol. In fact, I highly doubt there is any correlation of these events to resveratrol, but I list them because there is a possibility.

EDIT: I also take ellagic acid and lecithin with my resveratrol

#26 steelheader

• 106 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:21 AM

A couple of weeks ago I started, on every other day, adding approximately 50 mg of quercetin to my morning cocktail of 400 mg res from BAC powder, red wine, fish oil, and apple cider vinegar in a glass of water. The idea was to compare days with quercetin and days without. The effect with quercetin was like taking a larger dose of resveratrol and getting that "feel good" effect. After a week or so I abandoned the experiment and starting adding the 50 mg of quercetin every day. This even though I wasn't really intending to increase my resveratrol dose at this point.

#27 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:07 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm going to give quercetin a shot!

#28 steelheader

• 106 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 02:21 PM

Health Nutty, Is it your intent to increase your resveratrol dose? Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong but I see the addition of quercetin, if it is not just a placebo, as being equivalent to increasing the dose of resveratrol.

For an old rat like myself, high doses of resveratrol now seem like a good gamble to me. For a younger rat it might be a better strategy to go with a relatively low dose for awhile.

#29 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:22 PM

Yes, that was my goal to get more resveratrol into my system.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 mrak1979

• 232 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:41 PM

I wish we could more conclusively establish whether the quercetin benefits of making resveratrol bioavailable outweigh it's sirt1 gene inhibiting effects. I've been holding off of quercetin but feel like I'm missin something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users