Photo
- - - - -

Testosterone sources?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 spacey

• 241 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:49 PM

Are there any natural sources of testosterone, I am thinking about vegetables and herbs etc, or at least things that increases testosterone production without any hormonal medicine or stuff like that.

• Lurker

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:05 PM

tribulus (puncture vine) is apparently used in the weightlifting community. It is also used in traditional Indian medicine where it is known as gokshura. But the part of the plant used in Indian medicine may be different from that used by weightlifters. I recall reading something about the leaves vs. fruit and how one of the other had more benefit in terms of boosting testosterone levels. I don't recall the details.

I've never tried this stuff, but I'd take it easy with it and go slow since I seem to recall reading that it can be a bit hard on the liver. Did you have your testosterone level tested? I really wouldn't want to mess to much with my hormone levels unless I knew they were low.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:11 PM

My dad took testosterone injections. It was bad news. Made him really angry like a mad gorilla or something. Also gave him prostate problems. I know you aren't going to take it directly, but just be careful.

#4 spacey

• Topic Starter
  • 241 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:12 PM

No, I haven't tested my testosterone levels but seeing as I'm in my adolesence I suppose I should be producing quite alot of testosterone right now? But it isn't for me anyhow

#5 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:15 PM

tribulus (puncture vine) is apparently used in the weightlifting community. It is also used in traditional Indian medicine where it is known as gokshura.  But the part of the plant used in Indian medicine may be different from that used by weightlifters. I recall reading something about the leaves vs. fruit and how one of the other had more benefit in terms of boosting testosterone levels.  I don't recall the details.

I've never tried this stuff, but I'd take it easy with it and go slow since I seem to recall reading that it can be a bit hard on the liver. Did you have your testosterone level tested? I really wouldn't want to mess to much with my hormone levels unless I knew they were low.

If I recall from when I looked into iit a decade ago, tribulus is supposed to work by preventing the aromatization of testosterone to estrogen, so you have more free testosterone around. It was used with steroids, because many of them convert to estrogen when injected (say gynocomastia (spelling?). Tribulus is supposed to help prevent this.

Cordyceps is thought to increase one's testosterone levels, there are some papers to be found in pub med. The supplements available are powdered mycellium from mushrooms cultured in agar. If you want a few kilograms, I'll get you pricing ;)

#6 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:22 PM

No, I haven't tested my testosterone levels but seeing as I'm in my adolesence I suppose I should be producing quite alot of testosterone right now? But it isn't for me anyhow

If you haven't had your testosterone levels tested why do you conclude they are low?

Adolescents should NOT need/take testosterone boosters.

#7 spacey

• Topic Starter
  • 241 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:40 PM

If you haven't had your testosterone levels tested why do you conclude they are low?

Adolescents should NOT need/take testosterone boosters.

It's not for me it's for my gf, and women already have naturally lower levels of testosterone than men. And I'm not talkling about taking testosterone directly I'm talking about natural sources that will boost testosterone production to natural levels.

• Lurker

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:44 PM

> If you haven't had your testosterone levels tested why do you conclude they are low? Adolescents should NOT need/take testosterone boosters.

I think you misread what he wrote. He said it WASN'T for him.

• Lurker

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:55 PM

> It's not for me it's for my gf, and women already have naturally lower levels of testosterone than men.

Are you sure her level is low (for women)? You don't want to mess with hormone levels unnecessarily as it can cause all sorts of problems. And also, don't assume that just because this or that is not a pharmaceutical that there is no risk involved.

#10 spacey

• Topic Starter
  • 241 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:02 PM

> It's not for me it's for my gf, and women already have naturally lower levels of testosterone than men.

Are you sure her level is low (for women)? You don't want to mess with hormone levels unnecessarily as it can cause all sorts of problems. And also, don't assume that just because this or that is not a pharmaceutical that there is no risk involved.

I'm not assuming anything, I'll make sure we test it her levels before trying anything but I am pretty sure that she is low on hormone testosterone.

#11 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:08 PM

For women's hormonal health, maca, astragalus amd cordyceps are what's usually recommended. But things like age, health, et. have to be taken into account if you know what you're doing.

#12 lucid

• 1,195 posts

I can't think of a single reason why I would want my girl friend to take testosterone.

#13 macanizer

• 53 posts

Al Sears has an an article in his website and tribulus is what he recommends.

Tribulus terrestris has long been used to boost testosterone in Asia. It has been given to men who have weak muscle and sexual problems. It was reintroduced to the world by East German Olympic athletes. Tribulus gently boosts testosterone levels, which explains both its aphrodisiac effect and its sports performance enhancing effect.

One study analyzed the effect of Tribulus on healthy men. The men experienced an average 30% increase in testosterone levels 2 after just 5 days of oral supplementation. This is about the average rise in testosterone that I have experienced in my clinic. I use a starting dose of 250 mg once a day.

I'm having a hard time finding a 250mg version. TwinLab's version says 625mg, 20% of which is steroidal saponis, making it 125mg of the active ingridient. I would need to take two a day, right?

I also remember reading that muira puama and yohimbine increase testosterone levels.

• Lurker

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:55 PM

> I also remember reading that muira puama and yohimbine increase testosterone levels.

I'd stay away from yohimbine. I have read that it is potentially quite dangerous and has some nasty side effects. This is definitely not something one would want to be taking long-term for the betterment of ones health.

#15 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:36 PM

> I also remember reading that muira puama and yohimbine increase testosterone levels.

I'd stay away from yohimbine. I have read that it is potentially quite dangerous and has some nasty side effects. This is definitely not something one would want to be taking long-term for the betterment of ones health.

ditto.

#16 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:58 AM

Check her levels, if they are sufficiently abnormal, she should be able to find a doctor to administer HRT. Unless she does have a genetic hormonal defect, you aren't going to find anything that will make a significant (if any, which I'd lean toward) difference.

#17 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:27 AM

I can't think of a single reason why I would want my girl friend to take testosterone.

In moderate amounts, testosterone will increase a female's sex drive. To much, and her clitoris will grow to resemble a small penis.
[:o]

#18 stretch

• 12 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:43 AM

In my own experience, tongkat ali (Eurycoma Longifolia Jack) works significantly better than tribulus. It needs to be cycled. I'd love to know in detail through what kind of pathway does it affect testo production.

#19 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:36 AM

One word: Peanuts.

Longer version: http://www.timinverm...ss/boosttes.htm

#20 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:36 AM

Tribulus increases the production of luteinizing hormone which in turns stimulates the production of testosterone. Because the body uses its own sources to create them everything still remains balanced.

#21 spacey

• Topic Starter
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:57 AM

In moderate amounts, testosterone will increase a female's sex drive. To much, and her clitoris will grow to resemble a small penis.
[:o]

Yeah that was kind of what I was thinking about too. I've been trying to look for other natural supplements that will increase libido but alas nothing decent.

#22 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 03:30 PM

Oh, now libido is different from testosterone. That can be done. Besides some of the herbs mentioned here (I'd focus on maca), you might enjoy this article:

http://www.bodybuild...m/fun/par57.htm

• Lurker

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:57 PM

> Oh, now libido is different from testosterone. That can be done. Besides some of the herbs mentioned here (I'd focus on maca), you might enjoy this article:

I agree. Plus, libido can be adversely affected by so many things besides testosterone even though that seems to be the first thing many people people jump on: stress, not enough sleep, neuralgia after childbirth or injury (men and women should be very careful about riding bicycles), overweight, too much alcohol, medications, depression, and on and on and on. If there is a serious problem, then this individual should get a complete health check with full blood work (with all the important hormones, not just testosterone.) And definitely stay away from "natural" supplements like yohimbine - that is not a health supplement, but a recreational drug with serious negative side effects/risks when taken in pharmacologically significant quantities.

I've read good things about maca for both men and women. I've thought maca plus cocoa would be a nice and healthy "South American" beverage for a couple to enjoy together. Haven't tried it yet, but I will give a report (with pictures) when I have the opportunity.

(just joking about the pictures!)

#24 spacey

• Topic Starter
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:49 PM

Maca seems very very interesting, but can anyone find sources showming more of an increase of libido, the most that I have discussed it's effects on sperm quality.

And also how does it taste, does it taste well with cocoa? Seems popular in South America. Any other natural supplements that will increase libido would be interesting too.

And no I would never have her take Yohimbine isn't it a MAOI?

#25 Addison Strack

• 46 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:09 PM

Edited by Addison Strack, 18 March 2007 - 12:14 AM.

#26 spacey

• Topic Starter
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:39 PM

Spacey, take that link out of your sig.

Why should I?

#27 Addison Strack

• 46 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:33 PM

Edited by Addison Strack, 18 March 2007 - 12:14 AM.

#28 spacey

• Topic Starter
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:55 PM

Spacey, take that link out of your sig.

Why should I?

Look up the board rules. Sig advertising is prohibited for anyone but board sponsors.

Okay it's gone

#29 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:25 AM

Yohimbine is an alpha-2 antagonist. I really don't know why everyone is so afraid of it. I wouldn't take it chronically, but once in a while I don't see an issue with it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 spacey

• Topic Starter
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:03 AM

Yohimbine is an alpha-2 antagonist. I really don't know why everyone is so afraid of it. I wouldn't take it chronically, but once in a while I don't see an issue with it.

Well, from what I've heard it causes breathing and heart problems and god knows what. It just seems more like a drug than a supplement.

Anyhow back on track, maca seems good I've looked it up and I'll probably be ordering some soon, it seems like it'll make good chocolate too. But then again how effective is Maca? Is there anything else good that should go with it? Chocalate is out of the picture as it's effects as an aphrodisiac seems more myth than fact

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users