Photo
- - - - -

Nutraceutical Paper Draft

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:01 PM

I'm writing a massive paper on nutraceuticals, a directory of sorts, but I seem to be lacking some information of nutraceuticals to aid in certain ailments.

Notably:

Bone and Joint Supports, Arthritis Care
(besides Harpagophytum procumbens aka Devil's Claw)

AND

Diabetes Care
(besides bitter melon extract and Gymnema sylvestre)

If anyone can think of any decent plant-based/nutraceutical supplements to fill out these two areas, it would be much appreciated. I can't help but think I'm overlooking some very obvious ones, or those with an off-label use - not that they have a "label" use anyways, heh.

Thanks

#2 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:15 AM

How about curcumin for inflammation?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 mitkat

• Topic Starter
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:24 AM

Nice! I'm just sorting through things I've taken (and thus my own reasons for them) and ones I know very well, so I'm really looking forward to some good responses that make me go hmmmm.

Thanks maestro [thumb]

#4 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:26 AM

I'm writing a massive paper on nutraceuticals, a directory of sorts, but I seem to be lacking some information of nutraceuticals to aid in certain ailments.

Notably:

AND

Diabetes Care

If anyone can think of any decent plant-based/nutraceutical supplements to fill out these two areas, it would be much appreciated. I can't help but think I'm overlooking some very obvious ones, or those with an off-label use - not that they have a "label" use anyways, heh.

Thanks

Cissus for Bone and Joint support
Glucosamine for joint support

Diabetes:
Benfotiamine
Cinnamon

#5 marting

• 31 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 02:24 AM

Hi just quickly top of mind:

MSM, hyaluronic acid, Boswelia for joint/bone support - calcium/vitamin D/magnesium combo? Omega 3

for diabetes - check e.g. the recent thread on minimising type 2 side effects for possible other useful supplements - I think ALA is one of them

LEF also normally have various suggestions in their protocols, that may be useful.

Br

Martin

#6 mitkat

• Topic Starter
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 02:36 AM

Thanks everyone. [thumb] Keep in mind, I am only interested in botanically-sourced extracts and supplements.

#7 wayside

• 344 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 02:41 AM

What about fish oil/krill oil?

• Lurker

Posted 21 March 2007 - 02:50 AM

I think yucca root has been used for arthritis, but evidence for its effectiveness is limited/lacking.

#9 mitkat

• Topic Starter
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:03 AM

I think yucca root has been used for arthritis, but evidence for its effectiveness is limited/lacking.

That's okay, it's an ethnobotanical style paper, so it doesn't even really matter if there's evidence or not...as long as its been used for a long time with subjective results. No crystals or magnets though :)

edit; THANKS!

Edited by mitkat, 21 March 2007 - 03:14 AM.

#10 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:09 AM

Notably:

guggul
tumeric
boswellia
triphala

Diabetes Care

tumeric
guduchi
shardunkia
kutki
punarnava

#11 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:10 AM

astaxanthin for joints... i guess that counts as botanical?

#12 valjean

• 22 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:23 AM

Collagen Hydrolysat for the joints ..

#13 mitkat

• Topic Starter
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:17 AM

I always assumed this was animal parts for animal parts.

#14 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:47 AM

Goat's Rue (Galega officinalis ) for diabetes. It contains galagine, which is a precursor for metformin; in fact the drug was developed from galagine. Galagine has the same effect as metformin/

Edited to add:

Galega officinalis was in the offical US pharmacopoeia in the 19th and early 20th centuries for diabetes and as a galactagogue. It has a long history of use.

Edited by maxwatt, 22 March 2007 - 12:24 AM.

#15 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 March 2007 - 02:29 PM

I always assumed this was animal parts for animal parts.

it is

vegetarian glucosamine comes from fungi i believe (although it may be microbial)

Edited by ajnast4r, 21 March 2007 - 03:02 PM.

#16 marting

• 31 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:47 PM

Here are few more for the joints:

the fruit (rosehip) of the wild dog rose, Rosa canina - One product carrying this natural compund is Litozin which has done some clinical trials - see e.g.
http://www.nutraingr...lth-glucosamine

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned Ginger but that would be another candidate - It is e.g. included in Newchapter.info interesting product Zyflammend.

In Denmark, one firm Ferrosan.com combines ginger with Avocado in its joing supplement - so the latter could be another candidate. They also have a combi with galangal :

"He also mentioned a Danish formulation made from ginger root and galangal root (Alpinia galangal, an herb in the ginger family), which has been shown effective in treating pain and symptoms of osteoarthritis of the knee in at least one clinical trial. The Danish formulation is imported into the U.S. by several companies, including Enzymatic Therapy (Green Bay, WI) under the trade name FlexAgilityTM in health food stores, and EV.EXT 77 (the original Danish product name) also sold under that name in the U.S. under the PhytoPharmica line in independent pharmacies and by various health care practitioners.
source: http://www.herbalgra...ult.asp?c=vioxx

Br

Martin

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#17 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:18 AM

This has turned out to be a great thread. Good topic, mitkat. How about if we widen it to include non-plant remedies as well? You would have to include chondroitin in that case. I've heard good things about sam-e for arthritis as well.

For diabetes, avoiding refined hydrocarbates is the best thing you can do. Most or all of hydrocarbates are plant based. Avoid flour products as well as refined sugar. I know it's kind of obvious but it needs saying. You want more complex hydrocarbates like starches rather than sugars and not too much of either but more on the complex side. Benfotiamine, as has been said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users