- - - - -

Ironing out memory loss?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:57 AM

This is from today's Ouroburos website:

Neurodegeneration is often thought of as irreversible: Once neurons are damaged (or dead), one expects the decrease in function to be permanent. Granted, there is evidence that neuronal stem cells persist in adult brains, raising the possibility that functional could be reversed as the brain regenerates — but as the rate of damage accumulates with aging, such replenishment will inevitably fall behind. Hence, we tend to think of declining mental function as a one-way trip.

Recent findings, however, suggest that functional losses in the brain can indeed be reversed. The work of Bruce Ames and co-workers, for example, has demonstrated that potent anti-oxidants can return youthful plasticity to aging brains, at least in rats. (Bruce has a favorite joke about these results that I’ve quoted before and will quote again: He told his son, “We’ve come up with a way to turn old rats into young rats!” His son replied, “Let me know when you’re able to turn old people into young rats.”)

Further evidence of the reversibility of mental aging in the Rodentia comes from this recent paper by Martins de Lima et al.. The authors demonstrate that iron chelators can restore mental capacity in aged rats. (Iron is known to accumulate in the aging brain, and is thought to generate cytotoxic compounds termed reactive oxygen species or ROS.)

Reversion of age-related recognition memory impairment by iron chelation in rats

It is now generally accepted that iron accumulates in the brain during the ageing process. Increasing evidence demonstrate that iron accumulation in selective regions of the brain may generate free radicals, thereby possessing implications for the etiology of neurodegenerative disorders. In a previous study we have reported that aged rats present recognition memory deficits. The aim of the present study was to evaluate the effect of desferoxamine (DFO), an iron chelator agent, on age-induced memory impairment. Aged Wistar rats received intraperitoneal injections of saline or DFO (300 mg/kg) for 2 weeks. The animals were submitted to a novel object recognition task 24 h after the last injection. DFO-treated rats showed normal recognition memory while the saline group showed long-term recognition memory deficits. The results show that DFO is able to reverse age-induced recognition memory deficits. We also demonstrated that DFO reduced the oxidative damage to proteins in cortex and hippocampus. Thus, the present findings provide the first evidence that iron chelators might prevent age-related memory dysfunction.

According to the results of this study, functional loss in the brain is not (entirely) a simple steady state balance between accelerating cell morbidity and diminishing regenerative capacity. Instead, it appears that accumulated iron is be causing ongoing damage (perhaps via ROS, perhaps by some mechanism) and that this damage is not irreversible per se: As soon as the iron is removed, the brain begins to regain its youthful capabilities.

The implications for human neurological aging are tremendous: While not everyone develops a specific age-related neurodegenerative disease such as Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s, most people suffer from a slow decrease in mental sharpness as we age. If the results in this paper hold true for primates (that is, if iron is a cause of broad-spectrum functional loss in normal human aging), and assuming that compounds like desferoxamine don’t have awful side effects (the obvious one being anemia), then iron chelation therapy (perhaps along with the elimination of other toxic metals) could become an important part of the anti-aging pharmacopoiea.

http://ouroboros.wor...ut-memory-loss/

I was struck by how much this reminded me of Sardi's "over-mineralization theory of aging". I dismissed the theory at first but maybe there is something to it. Any comments?

http://www.longevine...Resveratrol.pdf

#2 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:50 PM

Well, I remember reading something that said that women before menopause are have much smaller mortality rates than men and post menopausal women. The suggested theory was that women bleed during menopause effectively leaking iron from the body, delaying the onset of mineral induced. Perhaps giving blood could have the same effect.

http://www.medicinen...rticlekey=51031

Men who donated blood at least once a year had an 88% lower risk of heart attacks than non-donors.

Swedish scientists found that men with a genetic abnormality that causes slightly elevated blood iron levels had a 2.3-fold increase in heart attack risk.

While these studies note the effect of giving blood on heart disease, perhaps giving blood could help with brain health as well.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:08 PM

Conclusion: treat yourself with leeches on a daily basis. Sorry I had to say it.

#4 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:40 PM

So blood donation equals iron chelation? Anyone know how much blood a woman typically loses during menstruation? ;)

Stephen

Edit: From a wikipedia article

The average blood loss during menstruation is 35 millilitres with 10-80 mL considered normal.

Hmm, so one pint of blood would be 13.5 months of menstruation ...

#5 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:50 PM

Not a terribly large amount: 10-80 mL says wiki. 35 being normal.

I was reading up on the benefits of giving blood and what not. Most sources recommended having your blood levels tested for iron content. They suggested that being at the bottom end of the spectrum for normal was ideal. So if you have low iron content, donating blood may not be a good thing.

*edit*
I see someone already posted ;)
I would add that the study posted above was looking at the health benefits of giving blood 1 or more times a year which happens to total up to about the amount women menstruate 13.5 months -= 12 months.
*edit*

#6 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:55 PM

It might be better to donate .5 pints twice over the course of a year as opposed to one go of 1 pint. That said, who knows if the amount that females menstruate is the ideal amount of blood to donate each year. I think it really depends on iron content in the blood.

#7 fearfrost

• 63 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:48 AM

Desferoxamine (DFO) – Mediated Iron Chelation: Rationale for a Novel Approach to Therapy for Brain Cancer

Pouya N. Dayani, Maria C. Bishop, Keith Black, Paul M. Zeltzer

Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL (P.N.D.); University of Arizona Cancer Center and Southern Arizona Veterans Administration Health Care System, Tucson, AZ (P.C.B.); Maxine Dunitz Neurosurgical Institute, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA (K.B., P.M.Z).

Iron homeostasis is crucial to normal cell metabolism, and its deficiency or excess is associated with numerous disease states.
The association of increased iron load with cancer may be due to several factors including free radical production, reduction of the body's protective mechanism to combat oxidative stress, inhibition of immune systems, inhibition of essential nutrient functions, facilitation of cancer growth, suppression of antitumor actions of macrophages, and lowering of the ratio of T4–T8 positive lymphocytes.
Antiproliferative effects of desferoxamine (DFO) both in vitro and in vivo are mediated by an intracellular pool of iron that is necessary for DNA synthesis rather than prevention of iron uptake from transferrin.
Several clinical studies have shown it to have antitumor activity in the treatment of neuroblastoma, leukemia, bladder carcinoma, and hepatocellular carcinoma.
Human neural tumor cells are susceptible to the effects of DFO.
Continued study of DFO is necessary to further elucidate its antineoplastic profile and its use as an adjunct to current chemotherapy regimens.
Given the lack of satisfactory treatment of central nervous system neoplasms, DFO could serve as an important tool in the management of such cancers.

This is very intriguing as well. I wonder what effect my 660mg/day of Zinc Sulfate is having on my iron levels. Zinc is known to replace iron... but then again, maybe one metal is as bad as another.

Edited by fearfrost, 27 March 2007 - 06:08 AM.

#8 fearfrost

• 63 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:07 AM

More on Zinc that I found quickly from wiki:

Zinc is a well known inducer of metallothionein, a protein of molecular weight of approximately 6000, comprising 30% of its aminoacids by cystein, being capable to chelating lead, copper, zinc, nickel and many other heavy metals (Vasak, M. (2005), “Advances in metallothionein structure and functions”, J. Trace Elem. Med. Biol., 19 (1): page 13-17)

and also related:

In a 2001 presentation to the American Psychiatric Association, Dr. William J. Walsh of the Pfeiffer Treatment Center suggested a potential link between metallothionein disorders and autism. Walsh concluded

"The absence of Cu and Zn homeostasis and severe Zn deficiency are suggestive of a metallothionein (MT) disorder. MT functions include neuronal development, detoxification of heavy metals, and immune response. Many classic symptoms of autism may be explained by a MT defect in infancy including G.I. tract problems, heightened sensitivity to toxic metals, and abnormal behaviors. These data suggest that an inborn error of MT functioning may be a fundamental cause of autism."

Geez, the unified theory of overmineralization seems pretty compelling or at least significant in some way.

#9 mirian

• 166 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:28 AM

You have to donate 1 pint they won't take less. You can donate as often as once every two months by law. They run a little finger prick test first for iron levels before the donation. To be on the safe side, I wouldn't donate more than once every 6 months.

Bill Sardi recommends supplementing with about 2,000mg of Jarrow IP6 about 2 hours after dinner and about 2 hours before bed. For, 30 days once every year. To find it go to his site:

http://www.knowledgeofhealth.com and type in the search area: rice bran cleanse

Sorry about the caps:

MEN WHO DONATED BLOOD AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR HAD AN 88% LOWER RISK OF HEART ATTACKS THAN NON-DONORS.[AM J OF EPIDEMIOLOGY, 1998, SEP]

"Anti-Aging Guide #18. Donate blood: The life you save may be your own. Many researchers think that we take in too much iron, mostly from eating red meat. Excess iron is thought to create free radicals in the body, speeding aging and raising risk of heart disease, cancer, and Alzheimer's. Until menopause, women are naturally protected from iron overload, but after that the danger of overdose climbs. Preliminary studies suggest you can lower your risk of heart disease by regularly giving blood. Thomas Perls, MD, an associate professor of medicine at Boston University who leads the New England Centenarian Study, donates a unit every 2 months."[Prevention Magazine, Sep. 2006, p.211]

Edited by mirian, 19 June 2007 - 08:48 AM.

#10 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:52 AM

would they accept the blood of somebody with minor alpha thalassemia by any chance?

#11 oregon

• 83 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:54 PM

I do not fully agree on this point. Iron is needed to carry oxygen throughout the body.

Moreover, "Iron supplements could protect brain from lead poisoning":
http://www.nutraingr...d=61180-iron-iq

#12 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:30 PM

would they accept the blood of somebody with minor alpha thalassemia by any chance?

They might take it, not for medical use, but for "research purposes."

You could probably keep a few pet leeches for the purpose.

It was not pure superstition, that until the end of the 19th century, bleeding was a mainstay of European medicine. While the practice arose in areas where hemachromatosis was an endemic genetic effect, perhaps there are benefits to those who do not suffer from this genetic disorder.

#13 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:46 PM

Just some anecdotal experience. I recently did a round of DMSA and EDTA chelation and gave blood (while keeping my supplementation, diet and exercise relatively constant) and I felt remarkably better, especially with regards to learning memory and mental fitness. Before researching the topic I chalked heavy metal issues up there with colonics and "clenses" as nutty on the fringe wastes of time but after my heavy metal detox and research I am convinced that most people would probably benefit from such things a couple times a year. I love things that actually give one a subjective benefit (the vast majority of things don't).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:39 PM

Many researchers think that we take in too much iron, mostly from eating red meat.

OK, there's a simple solution... Maybe I'm OK after all, since I'm a chicken and fishaterian, with only occasional hamburgers. And some bacon. I'm very strict about this, as you can see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users