- - - - -

Emergency

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 robomutt

• 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:26 AM

Dear All,

Yesterday, while traveling in Costa Rica, my younger brother suffered a serious brain injury. The details are sketchy at the moment, but apparently he was attacked and was knocked out. We've only been able to communicate with him via email, and it seems he's not doing well. Since we've been unable to speak with him, it's unclear what his condition is. We're trying to get him under hospital care, and my parents are flying down tomorrow or the day after.

While I was in college, I suffered a mild-moderate TBI and suffered post-concussive symptoms for nearly a year following. I never made a completely full recovery, particularly with regard to my short-term memory. During my recovery process, however, I learned that there were certain agents, such as pyritinol and hydergine, that if taken during the critical 72 hours or so following the injury could significantly reduce the damage caused by the glutamate-mediated cascade harmful chemical reactions and free radical damage responsible for much of the cell death that follows.

I was unable to take any of those supplements, and was instead limited to helpful, but not astoundingly so, supplements that helped me heal longer after the initial damage had taken its course.

I am hoping that, with your help, my brother can be more lucky.

I am interested in specific supplements, drugs, and their exact dosages, which can be taken with the 3-5 days following my brother's concussion. My brother is 19, 175 lbs.

Please help soon. We don't have a lot of time.

--my tremendous thanks and love--

J

#2 Mixter

• 788 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:59 AM

Sounds possibly bad. Try to get a doctor on the phone and have them administer
neuroprotectives intravenously, such as high-dose i.V. Hydergine (most popular stroke
med, most clinics have it on stock). Get high-dose multivitamins, fish oil and oral
neuroprotectives including ergots and piracetam to him. Reducing damage may be
a matter of hours, in such cases threaten docs with consequences, if they sit around...

I am not anything near a doctor, just e.g. know a relative who was treated incredibly
wrong for stroke. This was NOT a stroke, might very well be a bening thing that just
requires your brother mostly to lie still and not get up for some days.

But read the LEF Site's protocol on stroke - for the fastest way of action on ANY
recent brain injuries: http://www.lef.org/p..._disease_01.htm

If still out of ideas, you probably call their advisory hotline, even if not a member yet.

EDIT: Oh, you are mailing him, i.e. he hasn't been to hospital yet? Bad! If this is 'just' a
post-concussive syndrom, which it seems, the MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO LAY DOWN
AND KEEP LAYING DOWN for some days, not sit or even walk around. Nausea can point to a
post-concussive syndrome. Convince him to get into an ambulance or cab to the next emergency
room, it might not even be so serious, but a full diagnosis is serious and urgent.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 robomutt

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:05 AM

My doctor was unable to find Hydergine in the PDR. Both of my parents are leaving for Costa Rica at 5:00 PM tomorrow. I was able to get pyritinol overnight FedEx'd to my home upstate, so my folks will be able to provide him with that, and a humble cocktail of vitamins.

A few questions:

1. Is hydergine availible in Costa Rica?

2. Does anyone know of a top-top-top notch doctor (cost is not important right now) who specializes in proactive and aggressive treatment of moderate closed-head TBIs that would be willing to offer phone consultation to my english-speaking parents?

Those of you who pray, please pray for my brother's recovery.

Thank you to all--

J

#4 phernandez

• 33 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:31 AM

A:

There are several pharmacies in Costa Rica. Here's the link to Farmacia Alvarez.

<http://www.farmaciaa.../location.html>

In my trips to Mexico, I've found the "farmacia's" to have at least one person who can speak some English. I can't guarantee these guys will speak English, but a chemical name for Hydergine in spanish is "dihidroergotoxina mesilato" and a brand of Hydergine made by Novartis for Mexico and Latin America is "Hydergina". Some English names: dihydroergotoxin, ergoloid mesylates. These people usually have a big desk reference book like you mentioned, sometimes with English translated drug names.

I really hope your bro recovers.

Best Wishes,
Andrew

Edited by amenard, 29 March 2007 - 01:46 AM.

#5 robomutt

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:49 AM

Tremendous thanks from my family to the two of you who responded.

My parents fly out today at 5:00 PM.

Any further thoughts are more than welcome.

J

#6 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:33 AM

General rule for any serious injury in a far away place without first-world medical care: Get back Stateside ASAP, by air ambulance if necessary and possible, or first class common carrier. Your brother may need a neurosurgeon. Good luck.

#7 Mixter

• 788 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:15 PM

From LEF directory of innovative doctors, one address for Costa Rica, below.
If it's out of date, try to phone the lef hotline, that's the thing I can think of.

PS: I don't mean to critizice your beliefs, but advise NOT to rely on God there. All the best.

COSTA RICA

SAN JOSE

Fabio Solano, MD
Hotel Cariari
P.O. Box 7
Centro Colon
San Jose,
Costa Rica
506-39-00-22

Disclaimer: I'm really not trying to advertise for lef, just out of other resources [tung]

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:42 PM

LEF directory of innovative doctors???? A person with acute neurotrauma needs a CT scan and neurosurgical consult, not vitamins, noots, and alternative practitioners. I cannot believe this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users