Photo
- - - - -

"Natural" Allergy Releif

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:02 AM

I know its getting to be around that time of year again for all the allergy sufferers who may visit the site -

I have a few recommendations on supplements for those (like myself) with allergy issues

In no particular order -

Please update if you have any information I haven't posted!

A general allergy resource link - http://www.raysaheli...om/allergy.html

1. Fish Oil - (releives inflammatory symptoms)
Increase EPA Fats - Eat less Omega 6's

Link to article with references - http://www.healthspa...cle.aspx?Id=116

2. Vitamin C (and other potent anti-oxidants)

Same article from above with references - http://www.healthspa...cle.aspx?Id=116
Allergy article by Dr. Ray Shahelian - http://www.raysaheli...om/allergy.html

3. Mangosteen
From Dr. Ray Sahelians site -
http://www.raysaheli...mangosteen.html

Natural Antihistamine Research Update
Inhibitions of histamine release and prostaglandin E2 synthesis by mangosteen, a Thai medicinal plant.
Biol Pharm Bull. 2002 Sep;25(9):1137-41.
The fruit hull of mangosteen, Garcinia mangostana L. has been used as a Thai indigenous medicine for many years. However, the mechanism of action of mangosteen as a medicine has not been elucidated. The present study was undertaken to examine the effects of mangosteen extracts (100% ethanol, 70% ethanol, 40% ethanol and water) on histamine release and prostaglandin E2 synthesis. We found that the 40% ethanol extract of mangosteen inhibited IgE-mediated histamine release from RBL-2H3 cells with greater potency than the water extract of Rubus suavissimus that has been used as an anti-allergy crude drug in Japan. All extracts of mangosteen potently inhibited A23187-induced prostaglandin E2 synthesis in C6 rat glioma cells, while the water extract of Rubus suavissimus had no effect. The 40% ethanol extract of mangosteen inhibited the prostaglandin E2 synthesis in a concentration-dependent manner with relatively lower concentrations than the histamine release. In addition, passive cutaneous anaphylaxis (PCA) reactions in rats were significantly inhibited by this ethanol extract as well as by the water extract of Rubus suavissimus. These results suggest that the 40% ethanol extract of mangosteen has potent inhibitory activities of both histamine release and prostaglandin E2 synthesis.

4. NAC - (N-Acetyl-Cysteine)
http://www.raysaheli...om/allergy.html
From the increase in (anti-oxidant) Gluthionine

I know my citations are somewhat weak and I apologize for the limited nature of this resource guide

but...I hope someone finds this info useful and perhaps we can spin out some more options for all of us allergy sufferers

#2 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:32 PM

Nettle, quercetin, butterbur, as well.

References pending my laziness [bl:)]

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:42 PM

Mayo Clinic Butterbur Info

#4 shadowrun

• Topic Starter
  • 327 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:57 PM

I've heard that a study trying to replicate the original one on Butterbur actually showed that Butterbur has as much effect as Placebo - [:o]

http://cat.inist.fr/...cpsidt=15981604

#5 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:50 PM

Tante pis!

#6 shuffleup

• 160 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:54 PM

Perilla Oil. I use it daily for an omega 3 source since ironically enough I'm allergic to fish oil & flax. I notice some improvement in my toleration of the season changing which I usually get quite bothered by, nasally.

From the LEF website:
http://www.lef.org/p...llergies_01.htm

Perilla fructescens and rosmarinic acid. Perilla contains many active ingredients, such as rosmarinic acid and luteolin. Oral supplementation with perilla leaves or extracts of rosmarinic acid has been shown to suppress allergic reactions (Takano H et al 2004). Rosmarinic acid relieves allergy symptoms by preventing the activation of immune responder cells and by inducing apoptosis, or cell death, in already activated immune responder cells (Hur YG et al 2004). Natural flavonoids like rosmarinic acid kill off excess allergy-activated immune cells while leaving the vast bulk of responder cells to fight off bacteria and other foreign invaders. Rosmarinic acid has been demonstrated to kill allergy-activated T cells and neutrophils without affecting the T cells or neutrophils in their resting state (Sanbongi C et al 2003). Perilla leaf extract and rosmarinic acid were found to be nearly equally effective at inhibiting the allergic response when given orally. A follow-up study confirmed that oral administration of perilla leaf extract inhibits production of tumor necrosis factor-alpha and attenuates the allergic response and inflammation in mice (Ueda H et al 2002). Other studies have shown the following:

Rosmarinic acid inhibited interleukin-2 (IL-2) promoter activation of T cells (Won J et al 2003).
Rosmarinic acid had potent immunosuppressive effects and inhibited both the activation and proliferation of T cells (Yun SY et al 2003).
Researchers demonstrated that daily treatment with rosmarinic acid in perilla leaf extract given orally to mice prevented allergic asthma caused by dust mite allergen. The study concluded that oral administration of perilla-derived rosmarinic acid may treat allergic asthma effectively by limiting cytokines and allergy-specific antibodies (Sanbongi C et al 2004).
Another study demonstrated that perilla leaf extract enriched with rosmarinic acid is effective among humans suffering from seasonal allergic symptoms (Takano H et al 2004). In this study, rosmarinic acid particularly inhibited the eye-related symptoms associated with seasonal allergies.
Like rosmarinic acid, luteolin is a natural plant flavonoid that may have potent antiallergic properties. It is found along with rosmarinic acid in various species of the perilla plant but at lower concentrations. In one study, luteolin was shown to be the most potent inhibitor of interleukin-4 (IL-4) production in certain immune cells. Okayama University researchers found that luteolin was the most potent inhibitor of histamine release from immune mast cells (Inoue T et al 2002). Oral administration of perilla leaf extract inhibited inflammation, allergic response, and tumor necrosis factor in mice (Ueda H et al 2002). Also, luteolin was documented to inhibit interleukin-5 (IL-5), which promotes the growth and survival of eosinophils, one particular type of leukocyte that is activated during allergies (Park KY et al 1999).

#7 shadowrun

• Topic Starter
  • 327 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:55 PM

I think I read something about not taking Carnosine because it raises Histamine in the blood

Also something about a B complex reducing Histamine levels

I'll try to find some more info on it -

I wish I knew this stuff the past few years..
I spent all those weeks refusing allergy medicine and sneezing all
over the house

#8 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:32 PM

"Using nature-based products can be a very useful way to handle mild allergies and a useful adjunct for more significant allergies, and there are many types of treatments you can safely try," says Mary Hardy, MD, director of integrative medicine at Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.

Among those generating the loudest buzz right now is the European herb butterbur (Petasites hybridus), which, says Hardy, "has had some very impressive clinical trial results."

In one study, published recently in the British Medical Journal, a group of Swiss researchers showed how just one tablet of butterbur four times daily was as effective as a popular antihistamine drug in controlling symptoms of hay fever -- without the traditional symptom of drowsiness that sometimes occurs. In a second study, presented in March 2003 at the 60th annual meeting of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology (AAAAI), a group of British researchers put their stamp of approval on butterbur's effectiveness in quelling symptoms of grass allergy.

Other herbal supplements proving helpful, says Hardy, include freeze-dried nettles and a tonic made from the herb goldenseal, which she recommends adding to still one more natural treatment -- a saline (salt water) nasal spray.

"The saline works to wash out pollen and reduce or thin mucous -- the goldenseal has astringent and local antibacterial properties which can aid in this process," Hardy tells WebMD.

In addition to herbs, many naturopathic doctors also believe certain nutrients can be helpful in quieting seasonal symptoms. Among the most popular are grape seed extract and a flavonoid compound known as quercetin. Although both occur naturally in many foods -- and are especially abundant in red wine -- when used in supplement form they can be extremely helpful in reducing allergy symptoms, particularly in conjunction with vitamin C, says James Dillard, MD.

"There is even some evidence that quercetin may control the release of histamine and other chemicals that help initiate the allergic response," says Dillard, clinical advisor to Columbia University's Rosenthal Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, and assistant clinical professor at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons."

More at WebMD

#9 lhobbs1

• 27 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:12 AM

All very interesting but I was wondering if anybody knows how to tell if one is suffering from allergies or a common cold, since they seem to share similar symptoms, including sneezing, stuffed nasal passages, sore throat and coughing. I am a northerner in mid-Florida with signs of heavy live oak pollen all over the place
Edited to add that I am taking 2g of Vitamin C daily and started resveratrol, l-carnosine, acetyl l-carnitine, echinacea and gymnum sylvestre just a couple of days before the "cold" started.

#10 shadowrun

• Topic Starter
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:23 AM

lhobbs1
Anecdotally - My girlfreind tells me that with a cold you will have yellow or greenish mucous

For an allergy the mucous will generally run on the clear side

It appears to be true!

- I have a reference for it

http://www.allergydo...immunology.html

How can I tell whether I have an allergy or a cold?

Allergy symptoms can include watery eyes, coughing, stuffy nose, itchy eyes, clear, watery nasal discharge, but no fever. Cold symptoms can include fever, sore throat, and aches and pains, as well as allergy symptoms. Mucous from a cold tends to be thicker and yellow or green.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 shadowrun

• Topic Starter
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:28 AM

A nice reference for info on Butterbur from the Mayoclinic

http://www.mayoclini...tterbur/AA00066

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users