• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Assuming I Live To Eighty

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Poll: Assuming I Live To Eighty (14 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Excellent (4 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

2. 9 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 8 (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 7 (4 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

5. 6 (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

6. 5 (1 votes [9.09%])

7. 4 (0 votes [0.00%])

8. 3 (1 votes [9.09%])

9. 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 06 September 2002 - 02:08 PM

By: William Constitution O'Rights
The First Immortal

Assuming I live to eighty, will I adapt to future strangeness any better than someone born eighty years ago?

All of us have some tendency to deny the possibility that time may leave us permanently stranded along the wayside. All of us, at one moment or another, have condemned the previous generations mind set as wrong headed and the next generation’s attitudes as irresponsible. Inevitably, someone will someday consider my current opinions hopelessly out of date. How well will I survive my relative obsolescence?

I accept the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I believe such freedoms also include the freedom to die, the freedom to starve, and the freedom to feel disappointment. I do not believe in sustentative rights, such as the right to free healthcare, the right to receive food you haven’t earned, the right to have a job simply because you’re breathing.

Of course I can imagine acting as though I believed in sustentative rights. If I were hungry and penniless, I would probably beg for a hand-out. Still I would know that I was living off the kindness of strangers. I doubt if I could convince myself that society owed me sustenance for no other reason than the fact of my existence.

But let’s jump ahead one pretend century or so.

I awaken from cryonic suspension to find that U.S. society’s nascent belief in sustentative rights has grown to encompass all aspects of life. Not only does every citizen have the right to healthcare, food, and work, but he also takes for granted his right to housing, clothing, and entertainment! A young person could spend his entire life playing in government sponsored virtual reality, without a moment’s thought about how he will earn a living or better himself. As far as I can discern, ninety percent of the population sits around on its lazy collective butt and happily vegetates.

What’s the point in all this I might ask myself. Why do we need fifty billion worthless drooling idiots taking up space on this planet?
This question would have no meaning because the circumstances of my youth no longer exist. Throughout the 21st century, advances in computers, communications, manufacturing, and power systems created a social system with more wealth than any other in history. Technology gradually made food, clothing, shelter, and even entertainment so cheap that governments could dole out these items as easily as they used to mail out tax forms. The vast majority of people did indeed choose to spend their lives in nothing more ambitious than consumption and reproduction, though a significant (if ridiculed) handful continued to strive, learn, and expand the possibilities of humanity.

And who could blame slackers for taking advantage of the bounty? No law of physics compels humans to labor for their daily bread. Are digging ditches and shuffling papers fundamentally more important than napping and playing games?

Maybe this sketchy future bears no resemblance to what will come to pass, but social conditions will change drastically over the next century.

Live Long and Well
William Constitution O'Rights
The First Immortal

#2 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 08 September 2002 - 06:56 AM

Post Your Feedback - Voting Ends Sept 30th

William, an interesting scenario you've hit upon. I find that in conversations with my wife, her first objection to immortality is the unknown quality of the future and the possible nightmare scenarios so prevelant in the movies... I often find myself having to placate what I believe to be irrational fears before any real discussion about technology can be discussed. The visual and emotional impact of scifi movies are not to be ignored. I just hope it doesn't dampen every shred of optimism we have left in the drive to create profit.

#3 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 10:55 PM

Certainly an above average forum post. For an essay, I would have liked to find some tighter and further exploration.

In particular

- do you imply that the future is always as good as it is - would the question never have "meaning"?

- even if the question has "no meaning" how would you envisage dealing with it? Would you cling to your outdated ways or try to change?

- are there not other problems involved with the question of adaptation than just societal mores?

Apart from this, one could of course take issue with your political statement:
If in some future strangeness, Machines would have taken over to an extend were simply just 10% of the people are needed to run them, would you condemn the 90% to starvation? What about the pursuit of happiness? Or freedom? Is there not such a thing as economic slavery?

You might want to elaborate on these issues sometime. Maybe you would consider to turn this into a forum post for some further discussion?
For now, thank you very much for a truly stimulating idea. I would advise everybody to read it twice!

caliban

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 chestnut

• 152 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 03:03 AM

I appreciate the honesty of your piece. Although we hope, plan and strive to make the future better we must not loose sight that we really don't know how it will turn out. It is wise to continue to consider all scenerios in order to hold even more firmly to the idea and effort behind making our future a wonderful place to live.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users