Photo

Online Flash Games That Are Addictive

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:29 AM

What are some good, simple, and yet addicting flash games you guys have run across?

I have been obsessed with this one for the last few days:
http://www.handdrawn....com/DesktopTD/
("Desktop Tower Defense") ...and I can't beat the hard level (have beaten the easy and the medium). It is pretty much driving me crazy.

#2 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:31 AM

On second thought, if this thread is too popular, it might cause a tremendous drop in the productivity of everyone who views it. (including the aging researchers)

[wis]

#3 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:37 AM

A-BLAST
http://www.addicting...com/ablast.html

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:39 AM

Vectorball - 3d pong
http://cognitivelabs.../vectorball.htm

Flow - Guide a protozoan through a primordial sea. The more it eats, the more it evolves.
http://cognitivelabs..._Flow_intro.htm

#5 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:45 AM

QUOTE (Live Forever)
What are some good, simple, and yet addicting flash games you guys have run across?

("Desktop Tower Defense") ...and I can't beat the hard level (have beaten the easy and the medium). It is pretty much driving me crazy.

OK, on to the 'challenge' setting....damn it...i have lost so much time

#6 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:47 AM

QUOTE (cnorwood)
QUOTE (Live Forever)

OK, on to the 'challenge' setting....damn it...i have lost so much time

The "spawn" ones are evil. Every time you destroy them they multiply. I am just going to give up I think.

• Lurker

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (Live Forever)

("Desktop Tower Defense")

Holy Crap!!! I've been spending way too much time on this fiendishly addictive game! [:o]

Ah, f u c k it! Time to kill more creeps.........

Before I enter battle, here are some of my favorite Flash Games:

1. Bowman

2. Helicopter Game

#8 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (Live Forever)

The "spawn" ones are evil. Every time you destroy them they multiply. I am just going to give up I think.

Yeah, spiral infrastructure works well.

#9 biologic

• 25 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (Live Forever)

OMG. I was looking around for a possible thread like this one, and was contemplating starting a new one just because of this game [:o] . I really just cannot stop playing this game, and it is as close to a physical addiction as I have ever experienced.

#10 biologic

• 25 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:20 PM

Here's a screenshot of my strategy that beat hard! If only I was this motivated about curing cancer or something. Notice the "double wall" in the middle so that the spawn creatures cannot split and pass by so easily.

#11 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE (biologic)
Here's a screenshot of my strategy that beat hard! If only I was this motivated about curing cancer or something. Notice the "double wall" in the middle so that the spawn creatures cannot split and pass by so easily.

Oh yeah. I started building a maze that zigzagged all over the dang place, but with vertical and horizontal walls so they couldn't split and get past it.

On a side note, I downloaded the game and decompiled it with flashm, and found the "gold" variable. I bumped it up to a starting value of like 100,000 or something. It really isn't much of a challenge if you can fill the board with everything you want.

Oh, and for anyone that wants to get a high score, if you keep hitting "send the next wave" or whatever it is, you keep getting bonus points for it. Of course when I set up the board how I wanted, I could hit it time and time again, and get the points up astronomically high.

#12 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:11 AM

http://70.85.109.171.....heep.com).swf

After a few attempts I made it to level 4, but by then it was going way too fast for me to do anything else.

#13 biologic

• 25 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:32 AM

QUOTE (Live Forever)

After a few attempts I made it to level 4, but by then it was going way too fast for me to do anything else.

Couldn't get past level 4 either... what mouse speed do you use / think is best? I would tihnk the faster the better but it becomes increasingly difficult to control [huh]

#14 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:05 AM

I put it about 3/4 of the way to the right, and upped it slightly between each level. (going on the assumption that you want to be able to control it more quickly when it goes faster)

I played it a few more times and eventually made it to level 5. The ones with the 3 small holes are the ones that always trip me up.

#15 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:42 AM

Booyah! It goes up to level 9 (~165 speed)

The ones that I hit the most where the ones shaped like this:

EDIT: Now, that Desktop Tower Defense game is another story... It has consumed several hours of my time, and I still can't get past wave 46

#16 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:00 AM

I cheated and beat the missile game, but still haven't beat it honestly yet. I have only played it about a dozen times though so far.

On the desktop tower defense, I beat the hard level, but I went to the 100 level one and couldn't get past about level 74 or so. The configuration I used was a windy one going straight up and down.

#17 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:11 AM

Yeah, I tried a vertical/horizontal zigzag, and a diagonal one... but I think my problem is that I prefer more buildings over upgrades and I often forget to upgrade (took me about 3 hours the first time to figure out that you allowed to upgrade them)...

#18 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:52 AM

QUOTE (josephjah)
Yeah, I tried a vertical/horizontal zigzag, and a diagonal one... but I think my problem is that I prefer more buildings over upgrades and I often forget to upgrade (took me about 3 hours the first time to figure out that you allowed to upgrade them)...

Yeah, I basically just used a ton of the 5 gold towers as blocks to control where I wanted them to go. (the longer the distance the better) I only used (at first) a very few of the ones that shoot rapidly and then kept upgrading them one at a time till they were the best ones. Then I started selling off the blocks and upgrading them to other things. You have to have a missile tower in the middle of the board somewhere to shoot down planes. (one to start out, then add more as you go on) Really, I found it is best to keep upgrading each individual thing (or only 2 or 3 things) at a time till they are the very best, and then move on to something else. That might not be the best strategy, I don't know. In the 100 level one, the things get to the point where they are so powerful that even if you have a ton of things at top power shooting at them, it is hard to defeat them. I bet not many people can beat the whole 100 levels.

#19 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:54 AM

Here is a 3D logic cube one that is pretty fun:

It gets harder and harder as you go. (You have to connect the colored spaces to move on) I am on level 14 and having a tough time with it at the moment.

#20 biologic

• 25 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (Live Forever)
I cheated and beat the missile game, but still haven't beat it honestly yet. I have only played it about a dozen times though so far.

On the desktop tower defense, I beat the hard level, but I went to the 100 level one and couldn't get past about level 74 or so. The configuration I used was a windy one going straight up and down.

DAMN I thought I was the best and couldn't get past level 66. Do you use towers other than frost/squirt? Post your defence when you play next!

#21 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (biologic)
QUOTE (Live Forever)

DAMN I thought I was the best and couldn't get past level 66. Do you use towers other than frost/squirt? Post your defence when you play next!

Here is how I start out usually:

Which then allows me to progress and fill up the whole board in the same manner, like this:

(Note the missile tower in the middle for the planes, which I usually add before the board is filled up, because the planes come before there are many towers)

After I have the whole board filled up, I will upgrade the squirt towers to full power, then start adding other squirt towers, upgrading them to full power, and on and on. Eventually the board starts looking like this:

(Note: this isn't the final configuration, but just something like how things start to progress. There might be other variations on this that are better.)

Notice how most of the stuff is concentrated towards the middle. I like doing that, because then when planes fly over they are shot at from both sets when they cross the middle, but eventually the middle gets filled up and you have to start moving out. It is important to note that I keep upgrading each thing till it is full power before adding something else. (after I have the board layed out that is) You get more for your money the more you upgrade the board. This is just the strategy I use, and it might not be optimal. I know some people like to use the freeze things, but I never have much success with them in the long run for some reason. (Note: if you go long enough the monsters keep getting more and more powerful; I don't know if it is possible to beat the whole 100 levels because of this)

Edited by Live Forever, 12 April 2007 - 10:30 PM.

#22 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:36 PM

Also, I just use the 5 gold towers (the pellet towers) as basic building blocks since they are so cheap. Sometimes I will upgrade one or 2 to full power (making them a "sniper tower" with reach across almost the whole board), but rarely more than that. I just view them as a way to control the flow of the monsters.

Also, another tip, if you put a squirt tower in the middle of a row, then it can hit the monsters when they pass by on one side, then on the other side, which gives you more shots at them than if the squirt tower (or whatever tower you use) is on the end of a row.

#23 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (Live Forever)

It gets harder and harder as you go. (You have to connect the colored spaces to move on) I am on level 14 and having a tough time with it at the moment.

I finally got past level 14 (after much heartache), but now I am stuck on 16.

#24 Normal Dan

• 112 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:08 AM

QUOTE (Live Forever)
QUOTE (Live Forever)

Level 14 was not too bad. 16 was a pain though. 17 is far easier than 16, imho... I hope there aren't too many more levels. I need to get stuff done, and I'm hungry... Then again, I hope this never ends.... hrmmm...

#25 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE (normaldan)
QUOTE (Live Forever)
QUOTE (Live Forever)

Level 14 was not too bad. 16 was a pain though. 17 is far easier than 16, imho... I hope there aren't too many more levels. I need to get stuff done, and I'm hungry... Then again, I hope this never ends.... hrmmm...

Note: there is a continue button that allows you to come back to where you left off. I left and came back and clicked it, and it remembered where I left off. (even though I had cleared my cookies in the mean time)

...and to answer your question, there are 30 levels total.

#26 Normal Dan

• 112 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:49 AM

QUOTE (Live Forever)

...and to answer your question, there are 30 levels total.

Yeah, I just found that out now. After level 16 they get pretty easy... still kept me enthralled for quite some time. Very good game.

#27 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 02:05 AM

No one entered the link for the original Tower Defense yet.

#28 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 03:44 AM

I got stuck on 17... but I'll try a bit tomorrow

#29 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 04:14 AM

Only 39 levels in that original Tower Defense. Quite a bit easier to beat than the other one, imo.

#30 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:58 PM

Here is an arrow golf game. (website is Japanese, but disregard it) I found it pretty fun.
http://ishi.blog2.fc...ry-211.html?new

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users