- - - - -

How to Survive a Robot Uprising

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:32 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's tongue and cheek, but also very well researched and informative. I think a lot of you here would enjoy it. [thumb]

How to Survive a Robot Uprising
Tips on Defending Yourself Against the Coming Rebellion
Daniel H. Wilson

Posted Image
www.amazon.com/How-Survive-Robot-Uprising-Defending/dp/1582345929

How do you spot a robot mimicking a human? How do you recognize and deactivate a rebel servant robot? How do you escape a murderous smart house, or evade a swarm of marauding robotic flies? In this dryly hilarious survival guide, roboticist Daniel H. Wilson teaches worried humans the secrets to quashing a robot mutiny. From treating laser wounds to fooling face and speech recognition, outwitting robot logic to engaging in hand-to-pincer combat, How to Survive a Robot Uprising covers every possible doomsday scenario facing the newest endangered species: humans.

Based on extensive interviews with prominent scientists and including an overview of cutting edge robot prototypes like humanoid walkers, insect, gecko, and snake robots, this one-of-a-kind book makes a witty yet legitimate introduction to contemporary robotics.

#2 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:25 PM

...and for the Google talk by the author:
http://www.imminst.o...T&f=268&t=14682

Which was pretty funny as well.

#3 DJS

• Topic Starter
  • 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:52 PM

Just realized that someone already made a thread about this book in the "Discussion unrelated to life extension" forum.

I might merge things later, but for now here's the link:

www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?s=&act=ST&f=268&t=14682

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:42 AM

Is there an echo in here?

(just kidding man)

#5 DJS

• Topic Starter
  • 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:57 AM

Oh, I'm sorry Nate, I was ignoring you! (j/k) [lol]

#6 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 03:04 AM

hah! my 8 year old boy loves this book--has it on his desk, he's very into all that is robot--he has over 30 or so transformers all over his room ! Yup, you all will know where I'll be on the opening day of that movie!!!!

#7 DJS

• Topic Starter
  • 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 April 2007 - 03:16 AM

There is quite a bit of technical mumbo-jumbo in this book. Your eight year old must be a very intelligent boy!

But yeah, the book is fun and entertaining in a way that I could see kids liking. :)

#8 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 03:23 AM

hee hee-- well he did enter kindergarten reading at a 5th grade level--he started reading and writing at age 3 (had done the whole hooked on phonics himself by 3 and a half)

sorry parental thing, can't pass up bragging about one's kid :) now if I could enhance them, I would... I'm all for making kids smarter any way possible! (I did breastfeed him till he was 4 years old--that makes thicker neuronal connections, and raises IQ)

that is my La Leche Leage leader thing-- human milk is more complex than blood, and we can't even give fake blood yet (well I know we are close, and can do it in some cases--but the general public would get my drift, I had to put the disclaimer to you ImmInst types ;) )

#9 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:20 AM

(I did breastfeed him till he was 4 years old--that makes thicker neuronal connections, and raises IQ)

I'm assuming this was with a pump, but still...I don't want to imagine the inevitable couch time in the future.

#10 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:37 AM

How to survive an uprising? Breastfeed! for the survival of the species!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users