Photo
- - - - -

Resveratrol-blood test results

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 free radical

• 7 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:31 AM

I'm a new member. I have some questions for fellow members about my recent blood test. I've been using longevinex since November.
I got a blood test a few days ago just because I was curious. I have no before and after results, just after. I have one thing that concerns me and that is a very high TSH number. Here are my numbers

Total Iron 122
Calcium 9.9
Alkaline Phosphatase 38
Glucose 89
Cholest- 165
Triglyc- 66
HDL 57
LDL 95
Chol/HDL ratio 2.89
T-4 8.0
TSH 5.044 !!!

I havent written out my entire profile but just listed what I thought might be relevant. I'm 32 , fit, tall, and lean. It looks like my cholesterol is fine, so I'm wondering why my TSH is so high, it was the only thing out of the ordinary on the test. I have none of the symptoms of hypothyroidism that I've read about on the net. Anyone have any theories? I think I read somewhere that resveratrol lowers T3? Would this account for my high TSH reading? Anyone?

#2 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:17 AM

Possibly, recovery from prior illness, lab error- either random or systemic. Get it redone to confirm, then, perhaps, there might be an issue.

Statistically, when any "normal" person gets lab tests, a certain percentage will, by sheer normal variation, error occurrence (random), etc.
will be "abnormal." So, in essence, abnormal is normal, in a sense! An lab abnormality may mean normal for you ain't normal for
the typical person, or lab error, random error, etc.....

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:21 AM

Perhaps resveratrol is involved in slowing down the thyroid, depending on the feedback mechanism from TSH in the pituitary gland, and the dopamine nervous system, without you experiencing hypothyroid symptoms. How much resveratrol have you taken?

#4 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:30 AM

5% of the population has a TSH over 5. 20% over 3. Without knowing your T3 and T4, your number means little.

#5 free radical

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:23 PM

In response to Kenj, I take 1 longevinex capsule a day (the newly reformulated kind, claimed 100mg trans-res). I also take ALA, DHA/EPA, green tea extract, coQ10, multi w/no iron.

Is slowing down the thyroid always a bad thing? Has anyone else heard of this? Also, my blood pressure is very low (98 over 58), so it just seems strange that the TSH would be so high? Is it possible that this is a positive thing?

#6 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:46 PM

A high TSH maybe an indication of hypothyroidism but you need to do free T3, free T4 and Ferritin. You should also test your cortisol levels just to amke sure everything else is alright.

#7 markymark

• 188 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:31 AM

@ freeradical

it is important to know your pre resveratrol TSH.
To measure TPO-antibodies fT3 fT4 and other thyroid auto-antibodies might also be interesting.

The question, when to consider a TSH as elevated or not, is being discussed for some time.
In Anti-Aging Medicine and also in the mainstream we now tend to regard even values above 2.5 as to high, and herefore indicative for low thyroid. If TPO-Antibodies (mostly females) are present (=Hashimoto Thyreoiditis), L- Thyroxin therapy should be initiated.
However if really no symptoms for low thyroid are present and TSH is say 3 to 4 we find both opinions in guidelines. If, although clinical symptoms are absent in the face of TSH 3 to 4, but the lipid profile is unfavourable (LDL high etc.), thyroxin supplementation might be a good thing.

I like the thyroid article from LEF. Their articles are high profile for interested laypersons and suitable as well for MDs.
see: http://www.lef.org/p...gulation_01.htm
With a TSH > 5, I would recdommend to repat the test and to have an ultrasound scan of the gland as well.

regs.
mm

#8 free radical

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 12:36 AM

Thanks for the link markymark. Interesting reading there. I'm pretty confused because it seems as though I have all the opposite symptoms of hypothyroidism. I'm not depressed, I don't have high cholesterol, I don't have high blood pressure, I can barely gain 2 pounds even if I try, strange. If the only worry about having a high TSH is having those symptoms and I don't actually have any symptoms , then I'm not sure what the problem is with having a high TSH. I"m still trying to figure out if there's some link between longevinex/ chelating iron/copper and the thyroid. There was one sentence from that lef link that said "Iron deficiency impairs thyroid hormone synthesis by reducing activity of iron-dependent thyroid peroxidase." Anyway, I'm fascinated by all this stuff. I did find one other possibility. I read something that said mercury from dental amalgam could be hurting the thyroid. I do have a few amalgam fillings which I'm really ticked off about. Anyway, I'll get the test redone.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:00 AM

I had 5 amalgam fillings removed 6 years ago. It is always best to get those removed. I seriously believe that they had something to do with my mom having multiple sclerosis as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users