- - - - -

RM1812 -synthetic resveratrol in clinical trial

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:25 AM

I wonder how much they have changed the trans-resveratrol molecule in their proprietary formulation and if it still has the SIRT-1 activating effects. It would be nice to have a reliable source of resveratrol that has been proven bioavailable, active and stable. They are aiming for chemoprevention against breast- and colorectal cancer.

"RM1812 is a fully synthetic proprietary formulation of the naturally occurring small molecule Resveratrol. The compound has already obtained IND approval in the US and CTA approval in the UK and Canada for the conduct of early clinical trials. Three Phase I clinical trials in a total of ninety patients have successfully been completed, demonstrating the safety of RM1812 in human volunteers."

http://www.royalmoun...ent.asp?node=12

#2 proteomist

• 177 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:12 PM

Unless they are being intentionally deceptive in that statement, then it is resveratrol and not an analog. They are chemically synthesizing it rather than extracting it, and they are adding other materials into their formulation to get a time-release form, but the active is the resveratrol we all know and love.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:26 PM

Proteomist is correct, the key phrase is "RM1812 is a fully synthetic proprietary formulation of the naturally occurring small molecule Resveratrol".

Proprietary formulation just means they've mixed ResV with some other additives to give it some more beneficial properties they want, eg, time release, longer shelf life, etc,etc....

#4 Fredrik

• Topic Starter
  • 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:44 PM

Ok, thank you both for deciphering it for a non-english guy. So their "thing", the selling point, is some delivery system. But are they allowed to market a natural molecule like resveratrol as a drug? I saw that FDA quite recently okeyed a 15% green tea topical drug against hpv (human papilloma virus).

I would like me some synthetic t-res. Expensive I am sure, but some of us (me included) would sleep better knowing it is the same stuff and amount in every pill and batch.

Edit: got the indication for the green tea topical wrong. It should be hpv.

Edited by fredrik, 06 April 2007 - 07:35 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 proteomist

• 177 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:54 PM

Hi Fredrik,

Myself, I am actually more comfortable with a 98%-99% percent extract than a synthetic product, if both come from somewhere like China or India where quality assurance is not perfect. The reason for this is that the contaminants in the extract will mainly be resveratrol-glucoside and related innocuous compounds. For the synthetic product, if they are not careful about the purification, you'll likely get trace amounts of intermediate products from the synthesis, which would likely include aldehydes and styrenes.

I actually considered just making resveratrol myself, and I'm looking at a description of the synthesis right now. I finally decided I'd be more comfortable with a 98% enriched extract than having to deal with the purification.

Just my opinion. I'm definitely not the 'natural is always better' type, but I do work in an organic chem lab.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users