Photo
- - - - -

Mainstream Multivitamins (and iron)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:20 PM

Throughout my childhood, my father gave me vitamin supplements. When I was little it was Flintstones' chewable multivitamins, then eventually Centrum, Vitamin C, and Fish Oil. In fact, I have only switched over to LEF a few months ago. Considering the negative opinions around here of Centrum and the like, I am wondering if it was beneficial or detrimental to my health.

One of the commonly cited negatives is the high iron content. I have also heard various reports of certain brands containing trace heavy metals. I am fully aware of how pathetic the dosages are in mainstream brands, as well all the nutrients they lack. I am mostly concerned with the toxicity.

After thinking a bit more about the iron issue, I formed a loose hypothesis based on my own personal experience. Unlike me, my brother and sister would always do everything they could to avoid taking the vitamins, and would spit them out, throw them out, or hide them. They are both of only average intelligence. My mother and father are both very intelligent... my mother especially. She told me that as a kid she ate tons of spinach; she ate so much that she became sick as a result of iron overload. In the hospital, they didn't figure out the cause of the sickness right away, so all she ate in the hospital for awhile was spinach as well.

I thought that maybe iron plays some role in cognitive functioning or development and after some research I found that iron does play a critical role in brain development
http://www.ncbi.nlm....5&dopt=Abstract

Thoughts?

#2 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:43 PM

I don't think it's a good idea because of the toxicity of iron. Would you put your health at risk to get smarter?

Interesting link between blood lead levels, iron deficiency and cognitive development:

http://www.pubmedcen...i?artid=1469282

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 EmbraceUnity

• Topic Starter
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:03 PM

If iron does play a role in brain development, I would speculate that most of the effects would be during childhood. Both studies that we linked to seemed to emphasize iron's role in infancy and childhood. I don't know enough about the benefits nor the severity of the risks to give any sort of cost/benefit analysis.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:18 PM

I am all for sensible iron supplementation (if not significant in diet) for children.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users