- - - - -

Natural Factors RxOmega3 Factors Fish Oil

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:12 PM

I have edited this thread as I previously referred to Dr's Best Fish oil as opposed to Natural Factors

I bought a load of Natural Factors RxOmega-3 Factors Fish Oil as it has a higher level of EPA than my current Fish oil cap (ie 400mg EPA, 200mg DHA rather than 350mg EPA etc).

I have been taking 2-3 a day to average the 1gram EPA mark but noticed that my aching joints seemed to have returned to some extent. I ignored this for a while but then my wife commented that her wrist aches had returned which seemed co-incidental at best (I hadn't told her about my issue). I switched us back to the lower potency (and dose) brand we have been using the last year or so and the aches have receded after 7 days.

I realise not everyone takes fish oil for it's anti-inflammatory properties but has anyone else experienced anything similar or have I just been statistically unlikely?

Sentinel

Edited by sentinel, 19 April 2007 - 08:52 AM.

#2 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:49 PM

May I ask the brand that you were using before the switch, and are currently using?

Good info, thanks.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:08 AM

No. I don't take omegas for anti-inflammatory purposes, but rather for mood elevating effects as well as general health.

One person had claimed they had not experienced mood elevation except when using OmegaBrite. I switched to it for some time, but noticed nothing different (I'd been using Natural Factors- far less expensive than OB), so switched back.

NF also has 400 mg EPA, 200 mg DHA/capsule. And dang inexpensive for high potency omegas, IME.

#4 graatch

• 390 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:13 AM

Quality of your batch* seems to count. Oxidized fish oil is just no good. Thread on "Supplements" forum of mindandmuscle.

*could certainly vary from bottle to bottle from the same company, although I'm sure some people just have fresher oils, and things like vit. E, rosemary, refrigeration help.

Also, my guess is enteric coating helps somewhat to protect potency.

#5 sentinel

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:40 AM

OK Serious Edit here! The brand I have is NATURAL FACTORS, Dr Murray Recommended, RXOmega-3 Factors NOT Dr's Best RXOmega3 Fish Oil. Far be it for me to "Dis" the wrong product! When I ordered online it was "billed" as Doctor's best, but what I got is NF, as refered to by Tintinet (somewhat ironically). Sometimes one can spend too much time looking at the back of the pill bottles.

May I ask the brand that you were using before the switch, and are currently using?

Of course. I use(d) Lamberts :
Lamberts High Potency Pure Fish Oil 1100mg: PA 310mg and DHA 210mg

Not the best EPA/DHA ratio but 3 a day do the trick and it has proved a quality product. However, I don't think it is sold much outside the UK so this info may be of limited use to you CNorwood.

Sooooo.. Any issues with NF Fish oil? [wis] Titinet, I'll take it the answer for you is "no" ;)

Sentinel

#6 sentinel

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:50 PM

Addison Strack Posted on Apr 19 2007-14:34
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been taking Natural Factors, 10 grams per day, and I have found it to be fine.

Gzus - why so much? I haven't seen any studies at that level, how did you arrive at 10 grams? If I was taking even the lowest EPA to O3 ratio eg 150mg per gram I'd still be getting 1.5 grams of EPA.. Do you not worry about excessive blood thinning etc

#7 sentinel

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:11 PM

Actually, probably a bit of an over-reaction, depending on what your use of fish oil is for, but I think that is the quantity rather than quality orientated end of the dose scale.

#8 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:07 PM

I've taken many different brands- TwinLab, PureOmega, OmegaBrite (all high purity, concentrated EPA+/-DHA), as well as previous use of less concentrated capsules and liquid forms (NOW, LEF, etc.). Never notice any difference, subjectively, but I'm not really attempting to treat anything but mood and general health.

#9 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:52 AM

I have been taking natural factors fish oil liquid from the bottle and I think I would be able to taste if it was rancid. I have never noticed any particular benefits or detriments from taking fish oil from any brand.

#10 sentinel

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:02 AM

Thanks for the input chaps. I don't think it's rancid/off - I opened a few caps up a while ago to check and they are fine, and I'm sure the fish burps would be horrendous if you downed 3 duds, yeesh!

From the anti-inflammatory stand point they just don't seem as good as my previous brand so I have had to compensate by taking 50% more to get the same effect, something of a false economy.

#11 sentinel

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:38 AM

You're never one to do things by half are you Addison! 10g of fish oil and 10/15 k iu of VitD, I'd be interested to see your regime at some point...

Glad it's working out for you (and feel free to tell me to poke it) but do keep an eye on your bloods periodically if you aren't already. [thumb]

It doesn't seem that people have a problem with NF RXO3, but it does seem that people (need to) take a lot of it.

#12 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:42 AM

i've heard that a high dose fish oil can reduce sex drive as well. but that should be easily avoided with some olive oil in there.

#13 sentinel

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:44 AM

i've heard that a high dose fish oil can reduce sex drive as well.

Really? How?

but that should be easily avoided with some olive oil in there.

Really? How?

#14 sentinel

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:29 AM

That's interesting that it has no impact on coagulation, but i was refering to keeping an eye on all your levels, be it potentially toxic levels of fat solubles impacting your liver, heavy metals etc that can sneak up if you are inclined towards heavy doses.

Anyway, I'm not your mother.. Drive fast and take chances [lol]

#15 boily

• 171 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:44 AM

Interesting topic, as I switched from normal fish oil at a dose of 1.8 grams of EPA and 1.2 grams of DHA(per day) to 1.5 grams of EPA and 0.3 grams of DHA.
My original dose(1.8/1.2) which I took for well over a year, almost cured my creaky knees. But I found the creaks coming back on the new dose(1.5/0.3). Strange indeed. I'm currently re-introducing more DHA,(through standard fish oil, and some cod liver oil), which is lessening the knee creaks. Through my experience I'm guessing the DHA is good for anti-inflammatory. High EPA is beneficial for mood, as AOR studies indicate.

Anyone else notice similar occurances through swapping EPA/DHA balance?

#16 david ellis

• 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:25 PM

Boily wrote:

" Interesting topic, as I switched from normal fish oil at a dose of 1.8 grams of EPA and 1.2 grams of DHA(per day) to 1.5 grams of EPA and 0.3 grams of DHA.
My original dose(1.8/1.2) which I took for well over a year, almost cured my creaky knees. But I found the creaks coming back on the new dose(1.5/0.3). Strange indeed. I'm currently re-introducing more DHA,(through standard fish oil, and some cod liver oil), which is lessening the knee creaks. Through my experience I'm guessing the DHA is good for anti-inflammatory. High EPA is beneficial for mood, as AOR studies indicate.

Anyone else notice similar occurances through swapping EPA/DHA balance?"

Not quite due to swapping, but stopping supplementing, or taking bad fish oil gave me similar problems. I have stopped supplementing fish oil on doctor's orders twice for surgery. The arthritis pain in my back came back in a week or two. And the pain goes away in 10 days or more after resumption. It seems like each time I restart it takes longer to get rid of the pain.

About bad fish oil, I formerly used rancid as my standard. That means tasting a capsule for rancidity. Now my standard is slight fishy odor. Anything more return the product. I have been using Costco fish oil for over seven years. The oil has always smelled just slightly fishy. And then --

I take 10 grams per a day, so I go through a bottle quickly. Recently I got a bottle that smelled stronger than fishy. I tasted and found no rancidity and used the stuff. Next thing you know, my arthritis was back strong. You wouldn't buy a fish that smells more than slightly fishy, so don't take any fish oil that smells more than slightly. My CRP(C-reactive Protein) level had gone up to 5.25 from a normal level of 1.32. (normal range is about 0 to 3). The next bottle from Costco smelled OK and my CRP is down to .89, using NKO krill oil and 10 grams of fish oil.[COLOR=blue]

#17 rfarris

• 462 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:30 AM

Now much krill oil?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#18 david ellis

• 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 May 2007 - 06:21 PM

I took two grams/day krill oil as a test. See post 174211.

May 19 2007-15:05 | link

I tried to provide a link. Maybe it didn't work. It didn't work, I am new here, and don't know how to use/create links to threads.

Under Supplements this title is aa description of my test -Krill Oil Testing-(NKO from Source Naturals), How Effective?

Next I plan to do a 30 day test of green lipped mussle omega3 oil. The testing makes sense because at about $25/mo for a supplement, and a cost of $35 from LEF for the test, it is good to know that something is happening.

Edited by david ellis, 27 May 2007 - 06:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users