Photo
- - - - -

Suppement Effects on Prescription Drugs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:17 PM

Ok, I feel like the anti-depressant that I am taking is no longer working well. I have been taking 30 mg of cymbalta (an anti depressant) for about 3 months and accutane (Isotretinoin) for about 5 months. All had been going well until recently.

Recently I began feeling a bit depressed and stressed, I also began having acne breakouts on my shoulders which Isotretinoin prevented for the 4 months before this. I am begining to wonder whether the sups that I have been taking effect it.

Right now I am taking (/day):
New things added to diet (about the time I noticed drugs became ineffective)
3 TBLS of organic Raw Cocoa powder / Day (perhaps a large amount of anti-oxidants interfere with these drugs)
5 g Creatine
200 mg CoQ10
RALA(200mg) & ACARN (400mg)
900 mg Tumeric w/ 5mg Bioprene

Older Supps that I don't recall effecting medications
1 g Niacin
1 g Omega3
1 Resveratrol synergy (Jarrow's)
1 Multi-V
Melatonin (1.5 mg) @ bedtime
1 Vit-B complex

I kind of think that it is the anti-oxidants in the cocoa powder interfereing with the meds, but I'm not sure. I will stop everything and see how the meds fair. If any of you know anything I would of course be appreciative.

#2 macanizer

• 53 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:00 PM

I was thinking about posting this question as well. My problem is with mincocycline (acne med) and finasteride (hairloss med) I just had a really bad breakout last week and I'm noticing some balding starting to reocurr. I've been meaning to start taking my medications before going to bed instead of in the morning to see if there's any change. I'm worried that the meds are not being absorved due to all the supplements I take along with it in the morning. This is what I take with my meds:

30g whey shake with pomegranate P40 and 5-Loxin
1g Omega3
1 Resveratrol synergy (Jarrow's)
1g ALCAR
200mg RALA
200mg GLA
2g CLA
150mg Benfotiamine

The other solution might be to take my meds half hour before my supplements. Any comments?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:17 PM

Recently I began feeling a bit depressed and stressed, I also began having acne breakouts on my shoulders which Isotretinoin prevented for the 4 months before this. I am begining to wonder whether the sups that I have been taking effect it.

Isotretinoin (Accutane) is scary for someone with depression, try topical Retin-A (Tretinoin) as an alternative. Seriously avoid Accutane if you have depression of any sort.

#4 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:21 PM

I would post some links but the information is everywhere, just google accutane and depression, try google scholar to if you want to seperate out some of the hype.

From personal experience I used accutane along with my antidepressant and felt depressed. Stopped accutane after I read more and began to feel fine again. Accutane's effects and side effects are akin to those seen from chemotherapy drugs, in fact it was tested for this very use. I would avoid it like the plague.

#5 lucid

• Topic Starter
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:26 PM

Well acutane is also a one time fix for acne. Adult acne isn't something that I wanted to deal with for the rest of my life; I am done with accutane in 2 weeks and will enjoy not having to use chapstick 10-15 times a day anymore [thumb]

macanizer, Our diets both have Jarrow's Resv, Omega, Antioxidants (you have pomegranate, I have cocoa) and RALA and ALCAR. I am cutting out all of that and hope for some improvements.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:45 PM

Well acutane is also a one time fix for acne.

This is not true. I've did a cycle of accutane when I was 17 and I still have outbreaks (luckily relatively minor) at 30.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users