Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Molecular Biology of the Cell

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:26 PM

I took de Grey's advice and started reading this. I'm about 2/3 of my way through. Since it's really about 18 books in one (and weighs as much), I'm jumping around a bit which is fairly easy to do after the first 5 or 6 chapters. I highly recommend it as it's very comprehensive, well illustrated and goes just deep enough into each topic. I find that I can now follow along with scientific discussion and understand the majority of the papers and journals I read now. Sometimes I actually have what I think is an original thought...that is until I google it :)

I'm getting to the point where I want to take a deeper dive into the science. Any recommendations on what to read next?

#2 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:17 AM

journal articles on specific areas you are interested in

#3 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 03:50 PM

Fossel
Cells Aging and Human Disease

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 04:34 PM

Rita Carter's
Mapping the Mind

It's a great primer on the brain.

And for fiction, I highly recommend John C. Wright's "The Golden Age" trilogy.

#5 eldar

• 178 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:36 AM

Fossel
Cells Aging and Human Disease

Has anyone read this book ie. does it centralize on telomerase since its written by Fossel?
Sounds interesting but I'd have to order since there isn't any in bookstores.
(There's never anything in bookstores here really [glasses])

There were no reviews on amazon which is uncommon, but I guess it might be that technical aging books in general aren't that popular then.

#6 Trias

• 270 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:52 AM

If you have a solid background in mechanics (and some linear algebra), I truly recommend the following:

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/3540655581

Might not be relevant to the particular field you seek, but still - - very interesting.

#7 AdamSummerfield

• 351 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:34 AM

Aaaahhh. Im buying this sometime soon, its been on my wishlist on Amazon (Molecular Biology of the Cell) for quite a while. Although I can't read it any time soon, Ive got to finish my GCSEs, and Ill read it while im doing my A levels.

Maestro, could you please tell me how well this book explains the mathematics in the cell, that is, the size and capacity volume of it (Human cells)?

The only book I can recommend is 'Neurobiology: Molecules, Cells and Systems' It will give you a very strong knowledge on the Nervous system as it is for undergraduates in the field, but Im not sure about how it will effect one's overall biological knowledge. Im on page 50 [lol]

#8 maestro949

• Topic Starter
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:29 AM

Maestro, could you please tell me how well this book explains the mathematics in the cell, that is, the size and capacity volume of it (Human cells)?

Metrics are discussed here and there. Google is propably your best bet if you have specific cells in mind as cell sizes vary greatly, usually between 5-30 microns.

#9 olaf.larsson

• 583 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:20 AM

I think I remember some favoring of the telomerase idea. We might think of this as a bias, but if you ask even a "well informed" molecular biologist they will give the telomere shortening as an answer for the explenation of aging.

#10 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:15 PM

I am sure you have heard of this wonderful book:

http://www.amazon.co...mmortalityin-20

The only downside is the cost and the weight of the thing (8lbs!), there is a good way to bypass both if needed. For those waiting for the cash to purchase, or waiting for the next edition, or just want to do searches on it for reference, there is a good solution for you.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....c4.TOC&depth=10

Look at the contents on the left, and type in the chapter, section, or information you would like to see in the search box. Done.

There are many other books available there as well. Here is the book search page:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....y.fcgi?db=books

Just putting this info out there, cause I have seen a lot of questions and situations where it could help.

P.S. When the new edition is out, I am forking out the full list price. It is worth it for sure. I hope it isn't 16lbs!

#11 proteomist

• 177 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:21 PM

That's an excellent find, thank you. I expect to use that a lot.

I know Peter Walter feels strongly about open public access to scientific literature, so this is definitely in keeping with his perspective.

#12 acto

• 8 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:25 PM

I read the first four chapters of Alberts online.

Then I broked down and bought a used copy w/ cd from amazon. It was $60.

I am quite the broke student but it was well worth it!

I also bought a $30 copy of the Mathews biochem book but it seems to have a great deal of overlap with Alberts. It's the one they use at my uni in the college of medicine. Now I wish I'd bought Lehninger's instead.

#13 AdamSummerfield

• 351 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:57 AM

I took de Grey's advice and started reading this.   I'm about 2/3 of my way through.  Since it's really about 18 books in one (and weighs as much), I'm jumping around a bit which is fairly easy to do after the first 5 or 6 chapters.  I highly recommend it as it's very comprehensive, well illustrated and goes just deep enough into each topic.  I find that I can now follow along with scientific discussion and understand the majority of the papers and journals I read now.  Sometimes I actually have what I think is an original thought...that is until I google it ;)

I'm getting to the point where I want to take a deeper dive into the science.  Any recommendations on what to read next?

Hi.
I'm soon to be a 6th form student here in England (16-17 years old) and I'm looking forward to the holidays, because I plan on doing much reading. Firstly I am going to read through the A-level (6th form course) syllabus for Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths, which is pre-university level stuff, but once Ihave nearabouts mastered A level Biology and Chemistry I am going to read my own copy of Molecular Biology of the Cell.
Is the level of detail in it equal to what we might brand as 'university level' stuff? I also have 'Biochemistry' and 'Molecular Cell Biology' - both books of similar magnitude.

#14 eldar

• 178 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:19 PM

Is the level of detail in it equal to what we might brand as 'university level' stuff?

Heh, it sure is. [thumb] The level of detail can even be overwhelming at times, but it is well worth it.

#15 AdamSummerfield

• 351 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:24 AM

Thanks Ceth,
That's brilliant, it will be a while until I begin reading it, perhaps by October or so, as I must master Advanced Level first. I'm off to buy a desk today, so I can study in my room. I hope [the book] does not consist mainly of many chemical reactions, tediously describing how each one works. I would like to see the most improtant ones and the chemical reactions involved in vitamin/mineral metabolism, tissue growth (muscle, nerves etc), but i do not want to learn thousands of different reactions, as that is quite pointless, I hope the book makes a clear stance on the philosophy and dynamics of all biological reactions.

#16 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:56 PM

Thanks Ceth,
That's brilliant, it will be a while until I begin reading it, perhaps by October or so, as I must master Advanced Level first. I'm off to buy a desk today, so I can study in my room. I hope [the book] does not consist mainly of many chemical reactions, tediously describing how each one works. I would like to see the most improtant ones and the chemical reactions involved in vitamin/mineral metabolism, tissue growth (muscle, nerves etc), but i do not want to learn thousands of different reactions, as that is quite pointless, I hope the book makes a clear stance on the philosophy and dynamics of all biological reactions.

molecular biology of the cell by alberts et al is indeed comprehensive at 1,600 pages w/ 5 chapters on CD.
i'm reading the 5th edition right now, its the book we use for a cell biology/physiology class at my college

#17 AdamSummerfield

• 351 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:26 PM

It was a while since I wrote that comment, and was amused reading it.
I have read a substantial part of it. It covers some very basic things (chemistry for 14 year-olds) as well as some pure degree-level molecular biology. It has not dissapointed me, I have learned much, despite my opinion that one-third of it is waffle, filling empty space with what seems, to me, to be obvious. I should have finished it by September, as I have 9 exams approaching and must switch priorities.

- Adam

#18 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:06 AM

Would you recommnd this book as an introduction to molecular cell biology for a newcomer? (University level)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users