Photo
- - - - -

Resveratrol blood tests?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sUper GeNius

• 1,501 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:20 AM

All this talk of flooding the gut with large doses and/or quercitin, why doesn't someone just get a blood test to measure unbound t-res in the blood? Where does one get that test done? Is it expensive?

#2 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:50 AM

Is the conjugated totally biologically inactive? Will it eventually deconjugate in tissue, as some have theorized? Lots of questions.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 proteomist

• 177 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:01 AM

Because this is not a standard test, you'd have to have it performed on a custom basis. This is what would be involved:

Draw blood prior to dosage as negative control. Set aside.

Administer dosage, and take blood samples at desired intervals. Say, every fifteen minutes for two hours.

Centrifuge blood samples to remove cells. Treat plasma with organic solvent to precipitate proteins and extract small molecules.

Concentrate the organic sample into a small volume by evaporation.

Analyze samples by HPLC coupled to a tandem mass spectrometer operating in Multiple Reaction Monitoring mode; target resveratrol and
sulphation/glucuronidation products for analysis. Compare signal intensities to standard curves to quantify.

This is not a simple procedure. You'd need a trained phlebotomist/nurse to do the blood draws, and then a mass spectrometrist to do the analysis. I think you'd be looking at something like 2-3k to get this done, but that's just a guess. Hell, that's what I'd charge you.

I'm actually looking to do this myself as time allows, but I'm really strapped finishing up my thesis right now and don't know if I'll have time. To do it right, you'd want to use at least a handful of subjects and look at +/- quercitin and/or bioperine, effect of dosage size, etc. Maybe 10-20 subjects, for 100-200 analysis samples.

#4 sUper GeNius

• Topic Starter
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:17 AM

Because this is not a standard test, you'd have to have it performed on a custom basis. This is what would be involved:

Draw blood prior to dosage as negative control. Set aside.

Administer dosage, and take blood samples at desired intervals. Say, every fifteen minutes for two hours.

Centrifuge blood samples to remove cells. Treat plasma with organic solvent to precipitate proteins and extract small molecules.

Concentrate the organic sample into a small volume by evaporation.

Analyze samples by HPLC coupled to a tandem mass spectrometer operating in Multiple Reaction Monitoring mode; target resveratrol and 
    sulphation/glucuronidation products for analysis. Compare signal intensities to standard curves to quantify.

This is not a simple procedure. You'd need a trained phlebotomist/nurse to do the blood draws, and then a mass spectrometrist to do the analysis. I think you'd be looking at something like 2-3k to get this done, but that's just a guess. Hell, that's what I'd charge you.

Will you take a check? ;)

Could we all chip-in for the test? Hasn't someone already done this, (besides Sirtris.)?? Will Sirtris be forthcoming with data along the way? I read in their prospectus that a product is not expected to hit the market until 2012. We want to wait that long?

My point is, isn't there some way we can get better data, rather than just winging it until 2012?

#5 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:35 AM

I don't understand what you are looking for tobar8. There have been studies that look at bioavailability and conjugation. Doing a pubmed search would be cheaper than the bloodtest.

'High absorption but very low bioavailability of oral resveratrol in humans.'
http://dmd.aspetjour...full/32/12/1377

#6 sUper GeNius

• Topic Starter
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:48 AM

I don't understand what you are looking for tobar8. There have been studies that look at bioavailability and conjugation. Doing a pubmed search would be cheaper than the bloodtest.

'High absorption but very low bioavailability of oral resveratrol in humans.'
http://dmd.aspetjour...full/32/12/1377

They used a 25mg dose in the study you reference. What about 500mg? A gram? What about with quercitin? Piperine?

#7 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:07 AM

There are others, like this one for 1 gram: PMID: 17097357

If you are looking for which compounds inhibit the sulphation of resveratrol, look for inhibitors of SULT1A1 and SULT1E1, which quercetin is an inhibitor of A1.

BUT, my question is what will you do with the information you have? There is something in the resveratrol business that I dont quite get.

#8 sUper GeNius

• Topic Starter
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:21 AM

There are others, like this one for 1 gram: PMID: 17097357

If you are looking for which compounds inhibit the sulphation of resveratrol, look for inhibitors of SULT1A1 and SULT1E1, which quercetin is an inhibitor of A1.

BUT, my question is what will you do with the information you have? There is something in the resveratrol business that I dont quite get.

Regarding quercitin:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=12065059

What will I do with the info I have? It's not obvious?

Incidentally, should we be taking curcumin with our t-res?

http://www.ingentaco...000004/art00002

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 sUper GeNius

• Topic Starter
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:35 AM

Some info that supports AOR's use of luteolin in their Acta-resveratrol, at least I think it supports it.

http://209.85.165.10...lient=firefox-a

"The most potent inhibitor of SULT1A1 activity was the synthetic compound 3´,4´-dihydroxyflavone, with IC50 values against the 'model' substrate 4-nitrophenol (3 µM) and oestradiol (20 µM) of 2 nM and 20 nM respectively (Table 2). However, luteolin (a natural constituent of celery) was almost as potent, with IC50 values of 8 nM and 50 nM respectively against these substrates."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users