• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

Google and SIAI

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:33 AM

From Michael Anissimov's blog...

Does Google’s tech staff have the rationality and vision to understand the huge importance of Artificial General Intelligence to humanity’s future, and realize that the issue requires attention now rather than later?

Maybe yes, maybe no, but it looks like we’ll soon find out, as Ben Goertzel of the Singularity Institute will be giving a talk there. On the AGI list, Ben writes:

FYI, I am scheduled to give a talk to Google’s tech staff on AGI and Novamente, later in the month…

I believe Eliezer may be speaking there sometime soon, also…

– Ben

With Google’s Director of Search Quality, a pioneer in AI himself - Peter Norvig - making an appearance at the upcoming Singularity Summit II, it looks as if SIAI and Google are starting to form some sort of relationship. It’ll be interesting to see where this goes!

See here for an earlier post of mine on the Google’s rumored push towards AGI and my opinion on it.

pretty cool stuff... SIAI

#2 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:46 AM

The tech talks given there are a part of Google employee's 'free time' I believe.

It will be interesting to see what Norvig will say about AGI. I have yet to see him make any statements that talk of an AGI as general as the one Novamente is trying to build.

I see he has SIAI linked on his homepage: http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu/ai.html

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:00 AM

I'll look forward to watching Ben's talk when it goes up on Google vids.

#4 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:57 AM

I'll let you guys know the exact date, but it looks like Ben's talk should be at Google May 29 or 30th. Aubrey de Grey looks to be giving a talk there on May 29th as well.

#5 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:44 AM

Thanks Bruce. I'll keep my eyes out.

If Google is now inviting these types of people, life extensionists and AGI people (and transhumanists in general) must be gaining more credibility. [thumb] (either that, or they are looking to keep an eye on the competition ;)))

#6 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:50 AM

Wow, this is great... about a day or two away from my birthday.... what a present!

#7 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:52 AM

Wow, this is great... about a day or two away from my birthday.... what a present!

May 28 or 31?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#8 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:01 AM

June 1st (ehh maybe 3 days)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users