• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Now And Forever

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Now And Forever (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Now And Forever

1. Excellent (4 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

2. 9 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 8 (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

4. 7 (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 6 (0 votes [0.00%])

6. 5 (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

7. 4 (1 votes [11.11%])

8. 3 (1 votes [11.11%])

9. 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 07 September 2002 - 11:41 PM

Now and Forever
Copyright © 2002 by Christopher Lovejoy, aka Sophianic

I will live, and fulfill my life, in this life, in this world, now and forever. This is the mantra given to the friend of forever, the mantra of one who refuses to accept death, in this life, in this world, as inevitable. Permit me now to explore and examine the meaning of this unusual statement, piece by piece.

I will live. Spoken softly, and with conviction, these words come to me as profound, as pregnant with meaning as any three words I may care to utter. I say them again, slowly. I will live. They imply so much, no less when declared in the face of death. They resonate through the ages, from the moment a forever lost and forgotten soul first announced them to the world. I will live.

And fulfill my life. Inside the body, mind, heart, and soul of humanity lies a great wealth of potential, the breadth of which we have never seen before, the depth of which I am now only beginning to fathom. From this pool of potential, I can hear the call, to play a modest but significant part, to awaken my body, my mind, my heart, my soul, to an elevated notion of who I am, of what I strive to become. To fulfill my life.

In this life. These words appear to speak the language of blasphemy, no matter how respectfully they are spoken. Why blasphemous? Because they ignore God. Neither intended to be profane nor mocking, neither contemptuous nor irreverent, they speak a simple truth about individual human beings in the universe: we have but one life to live. In this life.

In this world. How eager I am to invent worlds beyond my reach, beyond what nature provides. I suffer, and I suffer, and then I look beyond what I suffer in search of a more enlightened place to be, to live, to love, to laugh, to explore, to create, to produce, to improve. But that place, those places, exist only in my imagination. As vivid as they may be, they exist for only as long as I can imagine them. In this world.

Now. Mathematically speaking, now is an infinite series, but intuitively, now is now. We know this to be true. Intuitively. How easy it is for me to put off my life, my fulfillment, until a more auspicious time arrives from the future. How easy it is for me to wait for opportunity to knock, to wait for some one (or some thing) to come to my rescue, to save me from certain death. No. I will live, and fulfill my life. Now.

And forever. Yes, the future is important, but not at the expense of discarding the present moment. I am one with the present moment. I live for the present moment. Each moment builds a future, and if the result of that construction is a life devoid of purpose, then the future has no place for me. In word, in deed, I will do what I can to live without end -- to live, and fulfill my life, in this life, in this world, now and forever.

--------------------
How beautiful it is to do nothing and then rest afterward - Spanish Proverb

Sophianic

#2 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 08 September 2002 - 06:43 AM

Post Your Feedback - Voting Ends Sept 30th

Sophianic, your eloquent and apparently effortless use of the English language is a pleasure to read. Thanks for taking the time to submit. And as you know, I've often enjoyed your site: www.aeterno.com.

#3 Sophianic

• Guest Immortality
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 07:13 PM

Thank you. My pleasure. I wrote this piece to relax me while I learned how to configure, install, execute and test a complex Perl script.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 11:17 PM

I am truly glad for that explanation because it makes one look at this entry in another light.

When read as a code the integers and sequences don’t calculate. The “now” part is very emphatic but indistinct, and the “forever” part is very unclear, in fact it does seem rather unnecessary.

But read as a contrast to mathematic functioning, as a diving into associative depths the text gains its own weight and light.

If one is then illuminated would is I suppose not as much in the hands of the author but would depend on the present state of mind of the reader.

I am committed to read this post again, when I think I might be more receptive.
Thank you for that opportunity and please keep being as productive while scripting.

caliban

#5 Sophianic

• Guest Immortality
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 11:02 AM

I am truly glad for that explanation because it makes one look at this entry in another light.

It wasn't meant to be an explanation - just a comment.

When read as a code the integers and sequences don’t calculate.

It wasn't meant to be read as code, either in the literal or figurative sense.

The “now” part is very emphatic but indistinct, and the “forever” part is very unclear, in fact it does seem rather unnecessary.

Paradoxically, "now" is always indistinct. Tap into your forever feeling and try to read "forever" in the context of the whole.

But read as a contrast to mathematic functioning, as a diving into associative depths the text gains its own weight and light.

Interesting characterization.

If one is then illuminated would is I suppose not as much in the hands of the author but would depend on the present state of mind of the reader.

...would is I suppose?... (interesting syntax) ... yes, the state of mind of the reader would be important for this one. If you're on edge, you may not "get it."

I am committed to read this post again, when I think I might be more receptive.

I would suggest that you "relax into it" when or if you get the chance.

Thank you for that opportunity and please keep being as productive while scripting.

Thanks for the reply, caliban. Any and all feedback is welcome.

#6 chestnut

• 152 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 02:02 AM

I would have to agree with BJ.
Reading your entry was like reading poetry only to discover new/different meanings when I read it the second and third time. I hope I do not offend when i say i was moved, inspired and relaxed all at once. You expressed your thoughts beautifully... and I felt a wonderfully peaceful and positive feeling about life.

#7 Sophianic

• Guest Immortality
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 10:30 AM

You pay me the greatest compliment, chestnut. I live for such compliments. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users