Photo

UK allows human animal hybrid embryos for research

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 futureofscience

• 182 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:14 PM

http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/6661717.stm

Interesting story, I'm glad they finally overturned the decision and listened to science and reason.

#2 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:38 PM

Nice. Now if we can only get the same type of thinking in the US.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 futureofscience

• Topic Starter
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:12 PM

Despite some of Mr Blair's other ideas, his science credentials whilst in office have been rather good. Britain is developing a good framework for such contentious areas (stem cells as well) as a competitor to the US and hence bring revenue and excellence.

It is a shame, I must admit, that some people in the US seem hellbent on it going backwards where it should be going forwards.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:01 AM

I don't understand why the bioethics guys always seem to have a problem with stem cell or related types of research. what in their point of view is unethical about it?

Is it that the embryos could be mis-used?

#5 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:53 AM

I don't understand why the bioethics guys always seem to have a problem with stem cell or related types of research. what in their point of view is unethical about it?

Is it that the embryos could be mis-used?

They think that when an embryo is destroyed, then it is the same as killing a living person.

#6 futureofscience

• Topic Starter
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:19 AM

Yeah, the opposition think life begins at conception as cell division occurs and hence growth, those for stem cell research say well it's really a bunch of cells with no discernible shape or figure and the embryo is destroyed long before it resembles any form of human.

So it's effectively different interpretation of what is a human life.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:52 AM

Yeah, the opposition think life begins at conception as cell division occurs and hence growth, those for stem cell research say well it's really a bunch of cells with no discernible shape or figure and the embryo is destroyed long before it resembles any form of human.

I think stem cell research is too important to be put back by such interpretations, don't you think?

#8 futureofscience

• Topic Starter
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:43 AM

I, and probably most people here, would agree wholeheartedly!

However it tends to be a more religious viewpoint that disagrees with this (hence why there is a bigger moral problem in the US than here in the UK).

#9 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:25 PM

Hey, well this is cool... I heard a little about it a few months back but totally forgot about it. I only hope the people here in the US begin to change their minds about such research... it is so valuable...

#10 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:55 PM

I think stem cell research is too important to be put back by such interpretations, don't you think?

I of course agree with you. As futureofscience said, it is mostly the religious folks that have a problem with it. (no matter how illogical it is)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users