Photo
- - - - -

If you avoid bioprene, do you also

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:28 AM

I'm curious, because black pepper has quite a bit of bioprene?

#2 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:28 PM

I am still on the fence about this whole issue. AOR including piper nigrum in their Resveratrol complex has made me re-think the issue.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 04:53 PM

I've been on the fence since the issue came to my attention. I don't take any bioprene, but I don't avoid black pepper either.

#4 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:04 PM

And what about grapefruit? I think (but not sure) there are a lot more substances we consume every day affecting P450 enzymes we are not aware of.

#5 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:22 PM

And what about grapefruit? I think (but not sure) there are a lot more substances we consume every day affecting P450 enzymes we are not aware of.

Pomegranate, resveratrol, and quercetin to name a few.

#6 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:29 PM

This seems to be a quite recent overview of P450 family enzymes. As far as I understand it partly describes on which form a certain drug depends on in its metabolism, but it doesn't give information which substances influence the occurrence, amount or effectiveness of these genes...

#7 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:33 PM

I have a recent experience with a drug that starts me to believe that ashwagandha could be a culprit as well, but I could not find any evidence of it yet.

#8 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 06:49 PM

I have a recent experience with a drug that starts me to believe that ashwagandha could be a culprit as well, but I could not find any evidence of it yet.

What prescription drugs are you taking?

#9 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 06:53 PM

I found this study:

http://www.pubmedcen...i?artid=1062157

"Withania Modulates the Activities of Xenobiotic Metabolizing and Antioxidant Enzymes in Mouse Liver
The effect of 2 weeks of dietary feeding of Withania roots was evaluated on the activities of the cyt P450 system and antioxidant enzymes in mouse liver. There was a moderate reduction in the activity of the cyt P450 monoxygenase system. Both cyt P450 and cyt b5 showed a slight but significant reduction (13%, P < 0.05; and 14%, P < 0.005, respectively) in only the LD group compared with controls (Fig. 2). Further, a significant dose-dependent increase in the activity of the phase II enzymes, GST (1.26-fold, P < 0.001 in LD; and 1.33-fold, P < 0.01 in HD) and DTD (1.67-fold, P < 0.005 in LD; and 1.98-fold, P < 0.005 in HD) was observed compared with controls (Fig. 2). Antioxidant enzymes, SOD (1.48-fold, P < 0.01 in LD; and 1.73-fold, P < 0.01 in HD), and catalase (3.15 fold, P < 0.01 in LD; and 2.99 fold, P < 0.01 in HD) also showed a significant increase in the Withania root-fed groups compared with the controls (Fig. 3). A significant increase in GSH content was observed in the LD group (1.31-fold, P < 0.05). In the case of LDH, the activity was reduced by 25–32% (P < 0.01) in the Withania root-fed-groups, indicating no cell damage/toxicity due to the treatment (Fig. 3). Overall, these findings suggested that Withania roots increase phase II enzyme activity as well as cellular antioxidant potential in mouse liver, which could be helpful in detoxification of xenobiotic compounds including carcinogens."

#10 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:30 PM

grapefruit does have to be avoided when taking certain drugs.

#11 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:45 PM

grapefruit does have to be avoided when taking certain drugs.

Elrond, I know you avoid bioprene, do you also avoid black pepper?

#12 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:06 PM

I don't avoid bioprene any more than I avoid any of the other of the billion-billion substances that I don't go out of my way to flood my system with.

No I don't avoid black pepper, nor do I attempt to consume tremendous quantities of it daily.

#13 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:20 PM

I found this study:

http://www.pubmedcen...i?artid=1062157

I do not have the knowledge to evaluate the details you did quote, however, in the discussion paragraph the researchers mention the following:

Our results suggest that Withania root is basically a monofunctional inducer that increases the activity of mainly phase II enzymes and has little effect on phase I monofunctional oxygenases, which is also supported by earlier studies (15). Our data show that Withania root has little effect on the cyt P450 system.

So, I need not worry to much about it I guess but be alert as ever. I did stop this medication anyway.
But it's just plain frustrating traditional "first world" medicine is not able to handle these kind of issues. If you want to play as safe as possible, medication should probably not be combined with any herbal supplements in general. Which also cuts of this route for improvement. [mellow]

Thanks for finding! :)

#14 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:44 PM

I don't avoid bioprene any more than I avoid any of the other of the billion-billion substances that I don't go out of my way to flood my system with.

No I don't avoid black pepper, nor do I attempt to consume tremendous quantities of it daily.

That makes sense.

#15 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:20 PM

Is it a synonym for methoprene?

#16 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:53 PM

so is there any other reason why people avoid bioprene. If its just because it affects p450 enzyme, then why aren't we staying away from pomegrante and rsv extracts?

I know it enhances absorption of nutrients, but so long as one applies common sense and doesn't megadose on anything why on bioprene (eg 5000mg rsv with bioprene :) ) is it really that bad?

#17 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:18 AM

This is a good thread to read up on the issue:

http://www.imminst.o...=pomegranate&s=

The biggest issue with Piperine in that it inhibits liver and intestine enzymes whereas the fruits like pomegranate inhibit the intestine CYPs. This actually makes the fruits protective.

#18 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:25 AM

The biggest issue with Piperine in that it inhibits liver and intestine enzymes whereas the fruits like pomegranate inhibit the intestine CYPs. This actually makes the fruits protective.

Why does this make the fruits protective?

#19 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:30 AM

From the second paper I cited:

Decreased presystemic oxidation by this CYP increases the systemic bioavailability of drug substrates and the likelihood of drug toxicity. Dietary interactions may complicate drug therapy but inhibition of certain CYP reactions may also protect the individual against toxic metabolites and free radicals generated by CYPs. Chemicals in teas and cruciferous vegetables may also inhibit human CYP enzymes that have been implicated in the bioactivation of chemical carcinogens. Thus, food constituents modulate CYP expression and function by a range of mechanisms, with the potential for both deleterious and beneficial outcomes.

Here is some info on Phase 1 vs. Phase 2 detoxification:
http://en.wikipedia...._I_vs._Phase_II

#20 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:36 AM

From the second paper I cited:

Decreased presystemic oxidation by this CYP increases the systemic bioavailability of drug substrates and the likelihood of drug toxicity. Dietary interactions may complicate drug therapy but inhibition of certain CYP reactions may also protect the individual against toxic metabolites and free radicals generated by CYPs. Chemicals in teas and cruciferous vegetables may also inhibit human CYP enzymes that have been implicated in the bioactivation of chemical carcinogens. Thus, food constituents modulate CYP expression and function by a range of mechanisms, with the potential for both deleterious and beneficial outcomes.

Thanks cnorwood, you always have solid info!

So CYP is a double edged sword. What makes liver p450 inhibitors different?

I did re-read the pomegranate thread, but I'm still confused about this issue.

#21 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:47 AM

So CYP is a double edged sword.  What makes liver p450 inhibitors different?

I did re-read the pomegranate thread, but I'm still confused about this issue.

Well, there is a reason we have them in the first place. They help get rid of toxins and carcinogens, but when they do this, sometimes they have to make them more harmful in Phase 1 (p450s) to be able to get rid of them with Phase 2. So, inhibition of the CYPs in both the intestine and liver can expose you to carcinogens that would have been detoxed normally.

#22 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:08 AM

Ahh, that does make more sense. So do you eat black pepper? I'm trying to decide if I'm being overly paranoid or not.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#23 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:23 PM

I dont consciously avoid it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users