• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Charlie Rose Interview with Sherwin B. Nuland

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mark A

• 18 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:42 AM

Did anyone happen to catch this interview?

Nuland is an American surgeon who teaches at Yale. He is the author of "How We Die" and a new book, "How We Live". Nuland seemed generally optimistic in the interview about the fight against aging, but when Rose asked him whether we would be able double the human life span, he replied "I hope not."

He said he believed death is inevitable, and one generation must die so that the next generation can progress. Otherwise, he believes, civilization will stagnate. It was disappointing to here this sentiment expressed by this author, because he says he believes strongly that significant progress will be made in the fight against aging in the next few decades.

#2 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:53 AM

Here it is on Google Vids: http://video.google....221137375688713
(Note: Second half, the first half is someone else)

Here it is embedded:

Just fyi for anyone reading this: All Charlie Rose interviews are put up on Google Vids within a few days, since it is public broadcasting.

#3 gavrilov

• 341 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for this link!

Sherwin B. Nuland is also the author of a new book "The Art of Aging: A Doctor's Prescription for Well-Being," which is discussed here:

http://longevity-sci...t-of-aging.html

Hope it helps,

Kind regards,

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:22 PM

Moving this to News & Events, just fyi.

#5 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:58 AM

I view death as a subjective thing. It's fine for some people...just not me.

#6 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 04:45 AM

Some older individuals after a life of devotion to their family, go back to college in their 70's or older-and even become activists. I don't entirely for many more reasons than can be stipulated now, agree with a society of long lived people becoming stagnate--or even inherently more conservative. If you make it there, (any of us) you can off yourself if you are bored--or work to change what inequality has not yet been rectified. There is very large universe to explore as well :)

#7 ilia

• Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:13 PM

"Nuland seemed generally optimistic in the interview about the fight against aging..."

How can he be? It is the same Nuland that trashed SENS and life-extension at MIT Technology Review:

http://www.technolog.../Biotech/14147/

#8 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:54 PM

I hadn't actually watched the interview till last night. He does say that he hopes people won't ever live twice as long as they are now, because he feels that it would put too much strain on the planet. (which is the same argument that has been refuted in the past lots of times)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users