• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

MySpace Group Forever Young

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:28 PM

Does anyone want to take over the Forever Young Myspace group? It has about 14,500 members right now, but nothing has really been done with it for awhile.
http://groups.myspace.com/4everyoung

I could help out with anyone that wanted to take over and do anything they wanted with it, but I don't think I will be doing much with it by myself in the future. There are also 3 other groups with a few hundred members apiece having to do with various aspects of life extension, but no promotion was really done with them to get their numbers up (like in the forever young one)

Just a general call out in case anyone wants to take it over or has any ideas.

#2 churchill

• 286 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:07 AM

Hi,
I have some ideas and finally some free time to be more proactive about life extension, so I might be interested in taking it over. I would want to do a bit of an overhaul of it.

My ideas would be:
1. To have less info, as at the moment its information overload for a newbie.
2. Have the forum take up much more of the space rather than having it at the bottom in a very small space, definitely clean up the spam for the last few months.
3. I would like its primary goals be for people to donate to mprize, and for people to discuss life extension.
4. I would be surprised if many people have actually looked at the embedded video I think the long running time is pretty daunting, maybe a more concise 5-10 minute introduction would draw people in more and get them excited.
5. Also potentially to broaden the appeal, by including such subjects as cosmetic surgery. I do think that tapping into peoples desire to stay young and beautiful is a rich source of people who would be willing to make the leap from just skin deep to the whole body.

Do you know if its possible to get any stats on how many people click on a particular link or watched a video?

Also how was the initial promotion of the site achieved?

Is it possible to mail all of the members?

How much time would you say you spent on cleaning up spam?

#3 futureofscience

• 182 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:31 AM

I would say that's an important point - the number of spam posts and crazy ladies wanting to jiggle in their webcams at you seems very high. It's a shame as it seems a good way to branch out especially to the younger generation.

Also, what about a Facebook group as well ?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:47 AM

Just some thoughts on your comments. Not trying to be too critical...

Hi,
I have some ideas and finally some free time to be more proactive about life extension, so I might be interested in taking it over. I would want to do a bit of an overhaul of it.

My ideas would be:
1. To have less info, as at the moment its information overload for a newbie.

On the front page there is very little if any information provided. What exactly do you have in mind to cut? Most of it is images and stuff now, with very little verbage.

2. Have the forum take up much more of the space rather than having it at the bottom in a very small space, definitely clean up the spam for the last few months.

Unfortunately, the area of the forum is set by MySpace and is unmoveable. You can change the top area all you want with sufficient html editing skills. I totally agree on the spam. We used to police it rather heavily, but it takes constant day to day policing or it builds up.

3. I would like its primary goals be for people to donate to mprize, and for people to discuss life extension. 

Of course. This is the stated goal of the group, and would not change. Some of the other groups with only a few hundred members are explicitly for MPrize or other goals.

4. I would be surprised if many people have actually looked at the embedded video I think the long running time is pretty daunting, maybe a more concise 5-10 minute introduction would draw people in more and get them excited.

Totally understandable. I actually raised this point with Jeff awhile back, but we just kind of defaulted into that video because it was the best one at the time. Another shorter one would probably be optimal, if you have one in mind.

5. Also potentially to broaden the appeal, by including such subjects as cosmetic surgery. I do think that tapping into peoples desire to stay young and beautiful is a rich source of people who would be willing to make the leap from just skin deep to the whole body.

Hmm, I don't know about this. We would want to stay on topic, but I can see that a slightly more cosmetic approach might be helpful. I am actually fairly good with graphic design stuff and have created some images in the past with young(er) looking females that expressed a youthful image with text and whatnot to draw people in to various projects.

Do you know if its possible to get any stats on how many people click on a particular link or watched a video?

Well, I uploaded the video on the front page now, so I have access to the full stats via Google videos, but they don't tell stats for individual web pages, just overall viewership stats. There are a lot that view that particular video every day, but it is linked from several different places, so I do not know how many are from that page.

Also how was the initial promotion of the site achieved?

A variety of means. The biggest and most popular way I would rather not comment about in the open forums right here for a variety of reasons. If you PM me I can fill you in on the details, (I don't want to get ImmInst in any trouble for things not sanctioned by leadership)

Is it possible to mail all of the members?

I believe this is possible, yes.

Well, me and Jeff both used to spend a ton of time cleaning up spam. Recently, none, but in the past (awhile back now) it was fairly rigorous. Originally it was meant as kind of a "soft" landing space for people, since ImmInst can be a bit daunting when you first land here.

Much more info can be found in the original thread on this group:
http://www.imminst.o...ST&f=142&t=6514

#5 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:48 AM

Also, what about a Facebook group as well ?

I'd be down to join a Facebook group. I actually spend hardly any time on MySpace anymore and check my Facebook at least once a day.

#6 churchill

• 286 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:09 PM

Your right there is not that much text, but it takes 3 page downs in my browser to get to the forum. Also the quote from ben bova while relevant, probably leaves most newbies going who is he. Now if it was a quote from arnie saying 'Aging is terminated' or Stephen King, then I think it would have the impact which was intended. I am thinking more minimal such as few sentences explaining what the forum is about, one embedded vid, one link to donate $20 to SENS then straight to the forum. I would be hoping that the forum post speaks for themselves. But I guess if you have had a lot of positive feedback about the current layout then it should be kept.

With myspace are you limited to having one page or can you set up multiple pages?

Do you have any idea how many of the current members of imminst, came from 4everyoung? if its a very small amount then maybe its better just to remove this from the page, and periodically mention it in the forum when it is relevant, or when a new member looks like they would be ready for imminst.

In the ideal world it would be good to see how many people have donated to the mprize who have come directly from 4everyoung, I think this would end up being a much better measure than just the group size.

I just stated those goals as at the moment it looks like the current goal is more to push people to go to imminst, you have this forum and the first thing stated is that there is this other forum which is much better, this is going to lead to the myspace forum being much harder to keep lively and active.

Unfortunately I don't have any specific video in mind, I think Aubrey has done some short ones, otherwise potentially another imminst member could make one, or find one, it would only have to be 5-10minutes intro aging, why its important to target it and what that person viewing the video can do. I do have video equipment so could potentially do one also though that would take a while.

#7 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 03:13 PM

I have been away for a few days. Anyone else have any interest in taking control of this group?

#8 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:08 AM

I moderated the forums for a little while. Spam control is tough and takes a lot of time. At one point there were good discussion going in the forums, but now spam has taken over.

The group over there is less "scientific" so I think cosmetic stuff would be fine, but it also needs to be moderated.

Jeff got an automated invitation program running through myspace in order to build the membership up.

#9 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:32 AM

, maybe a more concise 5-10 minute introduction would draw people in more and get them excited.

There is always the 6 minute trailer:
http://video.google....earch&plindex=4

Whether it gets them excited is another matter

#10 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:08 AM

I moderated the forums for a little while. Spam control is tough and takes a lot of time. At one point there were good discussion going in the forums, but now spam has taken over.

The group over there is less "scientific" so I think cosmetic stuff would be fine, but it also needs to be moderated.

Jeff got an automated invitation program running through myspace in order to build the membership up.

Yeah, moderation in the forums is key. There were a lot of newbies and good information exchange for awhile, but unless you keep an eye on it, the spam takes over because there is so much of it.

Jeff gave me the login info and everything for it, but I am too busy with work right now to put much time into it, which is why I made this thread.

#11 Mind

• 19,074 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:01 AM

No sweat Live....I couldn't keep up with it either (only for a couple of months).

#12 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:54 AM

How much time is involved? Hours daily/weekly?

#13 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:21 AM

Just joined it.

I'll manage it if u get me a time pill. ;)

-Inf.

#14 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:56 AM

How much time is involved?  Hours daily/weekly?

Well, if you were diligent you could probably get away with a few minutes a day (or every other day or something), but my problem was that I would be real good about keeping it clear for a month or 2, and then quit doing it because I would begin to forget or not want to do it or whatever.

Also, since there has been so much spam for awhile, I am not sure how much discussion would take place at first because not many people go to the forums anymore I am assuming. I am not sure exactly how the group could be utilized to spread the word of life extension. (which is one of the reasons I started the thread too, in case anyone had any good ideas)

Just joined it.

I'll manage it if u get me a time pill. :)

-Inf.

A time pill? Like a pill that stops time? (or increases the hours in a day?) Man, if I had some of those, I would be using them myself. ;))

#15 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:53 PM

I'm interested in running it. If you'd PM me about it. I'd want to be very clear on the time involved, but it looks like it could be a very good advocacy tool. I'd love to build it and get discussion going.

#16 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:04 PM

I would surely like to aid in getting some discussion going... I'll join up today

#17 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:37 AM

Cool, I can make both of you guys admins if you want. I'll PM you guys later on this weekend (and anyone else that is interested) with the details.

#18 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:23 PM

hankconn - I have contacted mrfesta and asked him to display the Coalition to Extend Life very prominently on the myspace group 4everyoung.

Thanks hankconn, that is a good idea.

There has been some discussion regarding the MySpace Group-Forever Young in this thread

Possibly Wing Girl or Joseph may now have the authority to change the display.

http://www.imminst.o...75&t=14179&st=0

#19 churchill

• 286 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:00 PM

I am still interested to help moderate, or get the discussion going, so if you need any help wing-girl and joseph, feel free to pm me.
A few ideas other ideas I had were:
1. After you clean up the spam put a post saying that new moderation is occurring and the spam will be held at bay.
2. Start up some new relevant posts, latest info from sens or from imminst.
3. Go through the posts, and pull out 5-10 previous posters who were previously actively engaged, mail them and tell them about the changes and if they would come back and have a look at the forum.
4. Mail all the members to tell them of this also, maybe only do this after a few interesting discussions have started up.

On the page currently the following link does not work.
http://www.lesurvey.com/

There is also another community forum on orkut, if you have a gmail account you can check it out. It is in a similar state to the 4everyoung one in that it looks like it is only the spammers still looking at it, it does not have as many members (only 1.7k) but an amount that you would hope for some discussion to occur. Its called war on aging.
http://www.orkut.com...px?cmm=14980085

#20 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 04:54 PM

Looks like the site has been hijacked!

#21 Mind

• 19,074 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 05:13 PM

How do you know it was a hijacking? Shannon said it was hacked and destroyed or something.

#22 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 05:34 PM

I don't actually know how it was lost.

Sorry I didn't see Shannon's post.

#23 Mind

• 19,074 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 05:51 PM

I am not exactly sure of the details. Maybe one of the moderators of the site can fill us in. Apparently Myspace is not being very helpful in getting the site/database back.

#24 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:07 PM

Yes, would be nice to know the status of it.

I suppose when a site has a large number of subscribers, as this one did have, then it becomes more attractive to try to commandeer it.

#25 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:01 AM

Spammy bastards.

#26 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:14 AM

Gosh, I don't know--Matias has been trying to get more info out of Myspace, but they are quite unresponsive. Our best guess is that someone wanted it off of the largest groups list, or took it over--but we can't tell what happened.

#27 Mind

• 19,074 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:01 PM

Who is Matias?

#28 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:06 PM

Who is Matias?

I am assuming she probably means Matthias

#29 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:08 PM

This situation is deplorable.

We could inquire directly at MySpace.

Matthias, let me know if I can help.

#30 Mind

• 19,074 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:09 PM

Nope...I asked Matthais and he said he was not the one who was moderating the myspace group. It was Shannon plus two other members. Churchill & Joseph?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users