Photo
- - - - -

Trying to gain weight

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:37 PM

I want to be a good 10kgs (22lbs) heavier than what I am now. However my metabolism is too fast to keep anything I have.

Years ago, I went on a non stop eating frenzy for several weeks. I counted all the calories and was eating just over 6000 calories EVERY DAY. It took 1 week to gain 1kg that would stay on and not drop off again. It did that for 3kgs worth but always lost weight sleeping. I would go to bed at 73kgs (160lbs) after eating plenty of pizza, donuts, biscuts and rubbish throughout the day as well as SOME good stuff ;) But 6 hours later I would wake up and without going to the toilet yet, I would be 71kgs! (156lbs). This happened for a few weeks until I gave up and I stayed at 71kgs for quite some time even when going back to ~2000 calories per day. But how did I lose that much weight in 6 hours of sleep!!!

So is there any supplement that slows down metabolism? I dont want those highly processed and expensive protein body building shakes either.

#2 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:20 AM

It sounds like you are an ectomorph. Your genetics are holding you back. It will just take you more time and effort to gain what you wish.

Try lowering the amount of times you eat in a day. Eat 2 or 3 'huge' meals. Make sure you are getting enough carbs and protein. A good source for carbs would be oatmeal. Get your protein from fish, turkey, beef, and chicken.

You also may want to change your lifting routine around. You are lifting weights I assume??? I would hope so.

I don't know of any supps that slow down metabolism. You may want to look into pro-hormones and pro-steroids. Although, I don't recommend it for health reasons, but if you are fixated enough to forget about all your life-enhancing and/or longevity goals, go for it.

Creatine 'Monohydrate' will add some weight on you also, albeit water weight. Might want to try a slow-digesting protein such as casein before bed also.

#3 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:18 AM

Alcohol + high fat intake will pretty much do it.

Other than that, just eat. A lot.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:20 AM

Alcohol + high fat intake will pretty much do it.

Other than that, just eat. A lot.

Don't forget anaerobic exercise.

#5 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:44 AM

I had the same desire at 17... 6'1" @ ~130lbs. Started eating very calorie dense meals every 3-4hrs. Some days I approached 10k calories. Hit the Y initially for weight training and later outfitted the basement with lots of equipment. Got up to a rock hard 240lb. But be careful what you ask for. Going the other way can be just as difficult later in life when things slow down and you don't have as much time to train. Now at 38 I'm back down to 185lbs and dropping to a more CR lean body.

#6 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:58 AM

You have to remember that when you eat a high-fat, non-healthy diet in hopes of increasing weight that your arteries are getting damaged from the bad fats and cholesterol. Even if it doesn't show it on the outside, on the inside, I'm sure it isn't pretty. If you decide to 'bulk', bulk clean.

It is similar in a way to a smoker. They look fine on the outside, but on the inside, their lungs are horrible.

#7 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:01 AM

Yeah, it's not a healthy way to go about life, physiologically or psychologically. Build your body for performance, the aesthetic angle will work itself out.

#8 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:37 AM

Not a good exmple. Smokers don't normally look too fine on the outside for long either. I have friends and family with bad skin to prove it. Hopefully if he has been reading forums like this one he knows not to eat "bad" stuff. But too much of "good" food is bad news too. Everything you put in your mouth that is above what you need is a potential detriment to your health. The key is getting to the right balance.

#9 spaceistheplace

• 397 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 04:12 AM

bugleweed supposedly helps in cases of hyperthyroidism. you may want to look into that.

#10 shifter

• Topic Starter
  • 716 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 05:21 AM

It was quite a while ago I did that. I work 2 jobs and dont have time to go out to a gym most of the time. I also am very limited as I cant do anything that involves the hips (extended walking, running or cycling or using weights with the legs) as one of my hips is what they call 'subluxed'. Where the ball and socket isn't a good fit. If I work it too hard it becomes very painful and worn out and like osteoarthritis.

I used to take all that stuff in the past (creatine, weight gainer protein powder etc) and go to the gym. It never really helped. Anything I gained, I lost during sleep.

I can assure you given that I now know that all the excess calories to burn off = more free radical production etc I wont do that anymore!

I am almost 26 now, so hopefully my metabolism will start slowing down pretty soon on its own. I wouldn't say I have a weight loss problem as it remains pretty stable. It just wont increase. I will get some blood tests done to check my thyroid first before trying bugleweed.

• Lurker

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:02 PM

High histamine types have a fast metabolism and can eat maybe 4,000 calories a day and never gain weight. Eventually they do gain weight but I think that is when their deficiencies get worse as they get older. This type has a sulfur deficiency which can make them prone to diabetes later in life.

Eating slow digesting food is a good way to help try to slow down your digestion. And eating fast digesting foods, particularly alone as a snack, is a bad idea because it can help increase your metabolism.

There is also a school of thought that considers the high histamine type as a fast oxidizer. This may be where there is more info about using diet to slow down metabolism, or just understanding different types of metabolisms. George Watson developed this theory of fast oxidizers and slow oxidizers, but I think Paul Eck continued along this path after Watson.

http://www.herbalroo...DF/MTEXTART.pdf
http://www.encyclope...1-97994371.html
http://www.bloodph.c...k-revisited.asp

I don't know if there is any way to significantly change your metabolism. I think changing your diet with the slow digesting foods may help somewhat, but may not give you dramatic results in terms of putting on weight.

Perhaps one of these books might help.

http://www.amazon.co...c/dp/1556434375

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/0767905644

#12 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 04:25 PM

I don't understand. If you aren't going to lift weights, all the extra weight that you will put on will be 22lbs of fat! That isn't healthy and won't impress anyone.

#13 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 June 2007 - 06:03 PM

I have the same issue. (62 kg, could be a calibration reference [lol] ) Don't know your age, I guess I'm a bit older than you. If I see all the ball-shaped people around me, I'm happy with it.

Just continue to eat healthy, lift some weights (probably you are a hard gainer like me) to get some definition to your muscles. My small muscle size enables me to lift weights that are way beyond the expectation based on my looks. Most people in the gym are astonished by that and think I must be on steroids. Which, obviously, is not the case. I still have some acne that adds to this strange perception.

#14 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 06:13 PM

I don't understand.  If you aren't going to lift weights, all the extra weight that you will put on will be 22lbs of fat!  That isn't healthy and won't impress anyone.

Well, technically, you'll never see 100% fat gain in a healthy person in this situation. But, yeah, overeating without exercise is pointless for almost all of us.

#15 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 07:14 PM

High histamine types have a fast metabolism and can eat maybe 4,000 calories a day and never gain weight. Eventually they do gain weight but I think that is when their deficiencies get worse as they get older. This type has a sulfur deficiency which can make them prone to diabetes later in life.

Eating slow digesting food is a good way to help try to slow down your digestion. And eating fast digesting foods, particularly alone as a snack, is a bad idea because it can help increase your metabolism.

Don't know about shifter, but that does seem to describe me then and now. Even as an old man of 38 I can eat a good deal and not see a perm increase in weight. Morning dump and water loss aside, I still see a large weight drop over night (4-5 pounds typical) too if I'm not eating steady right up to close to bed time (and I only get 4-6hrs of sleep per night max - working on that too). And I now find myself trying to balance mantaining the weight I want and still improve my insulin sensitivity and keep diabetes at bay. It can be done but it requires dedication.

Perhaps one of these books might help.

http://www.amazon.co...c/dp/1556434375

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/0767905644

I have both of those books here. Back when I was first looking at Metobolic Typing I found that Wolcott, Dr. Kelley, Dr. Mercola and others all had their own take/twist on it. Here is a quick overview though with reference at the bottom: Metabolic Typing - An Introduction

Between those two books you mentioned and a few more like Hormone Balance: Understanding Hormones, Weight, and Your Metabolism by Scott Isaacs, Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st-Century Stress Syndrome, The Optimum Nutrition Bible, and The Holford Low GI diet and trial and error, I have a diet and exercise plan that so far seems to be working pretty good now. But it does require a lot of dedication and will power.

Edited by frankbuzin, 08 June 2007 - 08:11 PM.

#16 ikaros

• 334 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:07 AM

I've got the same thing. I'm like a jet engine when it comes to energy consumption.
I would mostly recommend avoiding any types of stimulants if possible, especially caffeine (I suppose you don't do amphetamines lol). When I drink more than a half a cup a day, my metabolism seems to go haywire.
Also I've noticed over the years that everything I do I do it too hastily. I walk too fast, I think too much, I multitask too much etc. This would seem to be logically the consequence of a fast metabolism as I feel this restlessness inside. Anyway it can be dealt by mindfully noticing your behaviour and modyfing it accordingly, which means when you are "speeding" you slow down with mental effort. It's difficult in the beginning, but over time it becomes an habit and the brain adapts to the new approach you have taken. Consequently slowing down the need for fast metabolism and high-energy intake.

#17 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:58 PM

I've got the same thing. I'm like a jet engine when it comes to energy consumption.
I would mostly recommend avoiding any types of stimulants if possible, especially caffeine (I suppose you don't do amphetamines lol). When I drink more than a half a cup a day, my metabolism seems to go haywire.
Also I've noticed over the years that everything I do I do it too hastily. I walk too fast, I think too much, I multitask too much etc. This would seem to be logically the consequence of a fast metabolism as I feel this restlessness inside. Anyway it can be dealt by mindfully noticing your behaviour and modyfing it accordingly, which means when you are "speeding" you slow down with mental effort. It's difficult in the beginning, but over time it becomes an habit and the brain adapts to the new approach you have taken. Consequently slowing down the need for fast metabolism and high-energy intake.

I have to echo much of what is said here, and shifter especially. I am trying to gain some weight right now myself, but I'm in the prime season for working in my job and am buzzing around constantly. I've been trying to pack it down, but I can't deal with too much food...combine that with the exercies routine I've been hackin', I'm developing some sick popeye arms. And I mean sick in the traditional sense, homeys. Captain ectomorph, reporting for duty.

I've just started eating much larger meals, but less often...I'm wondering if 1/2 hour cardio 5 days a week is too much for a weight gain period? I know anaerobic is most important in this scenerio, but I feel reluctant to give up cardio.

#18 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:29 AM

I've just started eating much larger meals, but less often...I'm wondering if 1/2 hour cardio 5 days a week is too much for a weight gain period? I know anaerobic is most important in this scenerio, but I feel reluctant to give up cardio.

It probably wouldn't hurt to cut the cardio down to 2-3x/week and see what happens. But, even then, we're not talking about a huge difference from an energy balance perspective.

This article can change your life:

http://www.elitefts....uments/oreo.htm

#19 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:35 PM

Naturally I am a thin wiry person, especially since I have embarked on a slightly calorie restricted life extension diet. However I have been successful at gaining mass, strength, size etc. while still keeping on a life extension low calorie diet by religiously taking creatine along with high glycemic simple sugars and amino acids after every workout and in the morning along with consuming 2 high quality whey protein shakes twice a day (about 30-40 grams of protein a piece with no excess carbs) along with digestive enzymes to help assimilate the protein. And, in general keep my protein consumption very high. I only lift weights once or twice a week when I am trying to gain mass but I do this with HIGH INTENSITY, LOW REPS and HIGH WEIGHT (to failure) using macro movements using more than one joint muscle system (power lifter type workout) along with a few exercises such as bicep curls and tricep presses that only use one joint and muscle system but work well for me... Thats my 2 cents worth. Creatine + aminos + high glycemic carbs after workout and in the AM really seems to help. Your really only need to blast your muscles once or twice a week with high intensity, low reps and high weight (to failure) with only a couple of sets per exercise in order to provide enough stimulus for them to grow. Growth happens while you rest and if lift weights more than once or twice a week (unless you are a genetic freak, or you work out with such low intensity that you barely do anything) your body won't be able to keep up and repair the damage and you end up making things worse.

note: As far as aerobic exercise is concerned, my general rule when I am trying to gain mass is that if I am sore anywhere then I don't do aerobic exercise that uses the muscle groups that are sore. Soreness in general means your body is trying to repair damage and build tissue back up. If I am especially sore in multiple muscle groups and I am trying to build mass I will try not to do aerobic exercise at all (difficult as I am an aerobic exercise addict)

Edited by edward, 22 June 2007 - 03:50 PM.

#20 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:47 PM

Growth happens while you rest and if lift weights more than once or twice a week (unless you are a genetic freak, or you work out with such low intensity that you barely do anything) your body won't be able to keep up and repair the damage and you end up making things worse.

Tell that to Olympic lifters.

#21 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:54 PM

Olympic Lifters = Genetic Freaks

If average people were to use the following formula:

high intensity, high weight and low reps (performed to failure or beyond=> this can be done by progressively lowering the weight without rest thus extending the set)

working one muscle group more than 2 times a week would be pointless

#22 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:15 PM

According to whom? Now, old Olympic lifters with no joint issues, I might give you that they are suited to that type of activity. It's a volume issue, not intensity.

high intensity, high weight and low reps (performed to failure or beyond=> this can be done by progressively lowering the weight without rest thus extending the set)

I'm not even going to get into the failure discussion again. Everyone is either 100% or 0% on the topic and miss the middle ground.

#23 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:57 PM

I agree with you 100% in all you said.

#24 meatwad

• 196 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:25 AM

Food is what you are doing incorrectly.
Set out 1lb of beef every day and come back in a month and tell try to tell us with a straight face that you couldn't gain weight...

#25 shifter

• Topic Starter
  • 716 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:40 AM

If you think chicken will be just as effective i'll give that a try instead :) I already know if I eat a lot now, I will probably put on another 3 kgs and be able to keep it a while afterwards without having to sustain a high calorie diet. But what I want to know is, could I put on another 15kgs and be able to keep it on without having to sustain an ultra high calorie diet.

#26 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:44 PM

If you think chicken will be just as effective i'll give that a try instead :) I already know if I eat a lot now, I will probably put on another 3 kgs and be able to keep it a while afterwards without having to sustain a high calorie diet. But what I want to know is, could I put on another 15kgs and be able to keep it on without having to sustain an ultra high calorie diet.

Ok, the way to gain weight without exercising by lifting weights and eating right would be to not exercise at all and eat all the junk food and fast food that you possibly can each and every day!

end of thread...

#27 meatwad

• 196 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:08 AM

The lb of beef is for lean muscle mass, if you want to throw in chicken (on top of it) than go for it.
15kg? shoot for this weight over time. You will have days that eating all the beef will be a chore, but do it anyways.
I also don't recommend the "not exercising and eating junk food" idea... I am prety sure he is joking though....

#28 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:38 PM

You all must not realize that once your genetic potential is reached when it comes to muscle mass, size, etc.. that the only way to surpass this is with resistance training. The muscle fibers have to be damaged by resistance training, then given the proper nutrients and rest, will grow larger by excessively repairing the damaged muscle.

You don't gain muscle by sitting on your ass eating protein all day or even injecting androgenic steroids.

Your reasoning is that of an misinformed, lazy person trying to take the easy way for something.

Ever heard the statement

"no pain, no gain"

?

It is very true. In case you don't understand its meaning, it means that you have to exercise to get bigger muscles.

#29 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:39 PM

You don't gain muscle by sitting on your ass eating protein all day or even injecting androgenic steroids.

Just for the hell of it: You can gain LBM with exogenous testosterone without training.

http://ajpendo.physi...ull/281/6/E1172

#30 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:16 PM

The guys receiving 600mg of test enanthate weekly gained 17.5lbs of muscle over the 20 week period -- almost a pound a week, with no weight training. [:o]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users