Photo
- - - - -

Adaptogens and Mechanism

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:13 AM

It seems like all the adaptogens I look at in depth, talk about thyroid stimulation. Some reports say thyroid regulation, but when I dig into it, it looks only as stimulation. Some measurements show very high boosts in T4, for example. There is a case report of thyrotoxicosis with ashwagandha.

I see very little talk about the stimulation of the thyroid as mechanism, but it seems to be very predominant. I was wondering if others have any information?

I have heard all sorts of guesses on mechanisms such as antioxidant, opioid peptides, endorphins, etc.

#2 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:30 AM

I haven't read anything as yet. Knowing you Chris, I assume that you have been reading quite a bit on the subject. It makes sense though because adaptogens bring about their adaptation through excitment of physiological processes i.e hormesis

Can you provide a few references matey and I'll have a read

I'm interested in reading about the high boosts in T4 because high levels of T4 can increase the amount of iron in the blood. I was taking thyroxine for a little while for functional reasons and had some blood done. I was vegetarian at the time and my iron levels were way above acceptable levels.

#3 Athanasios

• Topic Starter
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:45 AM

Ashwagandha thyrotoxicosis:
PMID: 16355578

Ashwagandha also stimulates thyroid function. Studies in mice showed significant increases of serum T3(18%) and T4(111%) after 20 days of use.

PMID: 9811169

Bacopa:
With the bacopa study, I would have to read the whole report to see if they tried multiple levels of dosing, which it seems to imply.

B. monnieri could increase T(4) concentration by 41% without enhancing hepatic lipid peroxidation (LPO) suggesting that it can be used as a thyroid-stimulating drug.

PMID: 12065164

With maca, I found more claims of "thyroid regulating", but could not find solid stuff. This one as a looked into it, seemed to be stimulating as well.

I did not look into rhodiola too much, but it seemed similar.

I'm interested in reading about the high boosts in T4 because high levels of T4 can increase the amount of iron in the blood.

Ah...that seems to be in line with some effects of ashwagandha and other adaptogens.

#4 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:13 AM

So are either of you getting your T4 levels checked? Reconsidering your adaptogens?

#5 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:55 AM

I just had my T4 levels checked last week. I need to go pick up the results. If the blood biochemistry comes up normal I won't be changing a thing

#6 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:57 AM

what about testing T3? Does that have to be tested too?

#7 Athanasios

• Topic Starter
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:30 AM

So are either of you getting your T4 levels checked?  Reconsidering your adaptogens?

I am getting my blood drawn today for my LEF blood tests.

I have already cut my adaptogen intake a bit by dropping the rhodiola and halving my bacopa dosage. I doubt I will do any more dropping, unless something shows up strange in blood tests.

#8 stellar

• 366 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:53 AM

nitric oxide: this is the mechanism by which adaptogens work.

#9 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:46 AM

nitric oxide: this is the mechanism by which adaptogens work.

more info on how to work?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users