• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

- - - - -

Dr.James Hughes speaks at Texas Baptist University

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

• Lurker

Posted 17 June 2007 - 05:04 AM

Hey guys,

If any of you have not seen this, you gotta check it out. I found this video on Thoughtware.tv. Professor Hughes delivers an awesome talk about Transhumanism and its benefits. It's actually a debate between him and some theologian. It was held at East Texas Baptist University! This, my friends, is the perfect way to talk about Transhumanism and Life Extension with extremely religious folks. I'm sure Dr.Hughes left the audience totally perplexed and disoriented. That's because, they were probably expecting to hear some cliched arguments that would make them go "No No, no way, the bible prohibits it!". I wish I could get some of their reactions to this debate. And also, Why isn't this amazing video Not on Youtube or Google? Check it out, and if someone can find a way to upload this on any of those sites, please do so.

mms://media.etbu.edu/03052007.wmv

Copy and paste the above link in your browser as it is. It should open-up in WMP. You might have trouble playing it using Firefox. If so, try Internet Explorer.

Edited by sanjay_sreehari, 28 July 2007 - 11:30 PM.

#2 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:23 AM

Thank you for sharing this video :D

#3 Liquidus

• 446 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 02:02 AM

And also, Why isn't this amazing video Not on Youtube or Google? Check it out, and if someone can find a way to upload this on any of those sites, please do so.

I'll try to dissect the video into parts and I'll upload them to YouTube. I'll post once it's done.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:09 PM

this video was very interesting ;)
It shows that transhumanists are not weirdos [thumb]
Maybe I can show this video to my Christian friends en then talk about it.

#5 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:38 PM

And also, Why isn't this amazing video Not on Youtube or Google? Check it out, and if someone can find a way to upload this on any of those sites, please do so.

I'll try to dissect the video into parts and I'll upload them to YouTube. I'll post once it's done.

That's very proactive of you! Thanks.

• Lurker

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:39 PM

Hey, how about uploading this on Google Videos....Don't they allow uploading videos much longer than 10 minutes? I tried, but it gave me an error and it didn't say what caused the error. Give it a shot and post the link if you succeed.

Edited by sanjay_sreehari, 31 July 2007 - 06:26 AM.

#7 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 12:12 AM

That was a really interesting talk. The other professor was relatively insightful, as well, offering level-headed concerns of a lot of transhumanism skeptics.

I think having more debates like this, in addition to proselytizing, would go a long way to give our movement some feedback on concerns of not only christians, but the majority of westerners rooted in platonic philosophy.

Essentially, debates about authenticity are interesting. We as transhumanists need to respect the choices of those who wish to choose alternative identities to our own, more 'enhanced,' selves. However, Dr. Hughes appropriately takes the direction that different is still human, that while yes, freedom requires limitations, free will [which does not exist] should allow humans to explore or test out enhancement.

I laughed when Dr. Hughes said making people smarter would enable them to understand the scriptures better. Riiiiiiiiiight

#8 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 01:26 AM

" in difficult ground press on; in encircled ground devise stratagems; in death ground fight" - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Hughes is brilliaint if he devised this stratagem himself.

great vid thanks for the link. [thumb]

• Lurker

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:29 AM

Don't bother uploading it guys, its done.

http://video.google....201013309930890

#10 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:20 AM

Nice, I'll have my husband check it out--he is researching for his next book--about our movement! (and has an agent interested, it will be humor/non-fiction and 'humanize' the transhumans :) )

#11 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:17 AM

Hey, that was great... Thanks for posting it.

#12 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:36 AM

Thanks for uploading it

#13 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:55 PM

I have had debates with a professor here in Austin on this topic. Well, it was on germline engineering. The arguments are pretty much the same, though. This recent addition to Nick Bostrom's site helped elevate the conversation:

http://www.nickbostr...enhancement.pdf

I figured that those who enjoyed the video would enjoy the essay above.

#14 advancedatheist

• 1,419 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:09 PM

I laughed when Dr. Hughes said making people smarter would enable them to understand the scriptures better.  Riiiiiiiiiight

Well, it would make it easier for the hardcore religionists to study their scriptures in their original languages. You could master biblical Hebrew, for example, or Qur'anic Arabic if you want to convert to Islam, or Pali and Sanskrit if you want to become a Buddhist.

Robert Ettinger expressed a similar idea in his book Man Into Superman:

Chapter 9 Tuesday in Eternity

. . .

There are still many who worry about the sin of pride and about the futility of dreams of heaven on earth. But most of us who intend to go forward do not dream of any simplistic heaven on earth; indeed, we explicitly recognize that mere material comfort, even universal peace and good will, constitute only a starting point, not by any means a final goal. We go forward into the unknown because there is nowhere else to go. Is the past so beautiful that we should dust it off and wear it? Is the present so precious that we should preserve it in amber? Shall we walk with downcast eyes in circular ruts? For us this is not possible--and some of us are Christians.

We aspire to be supermen not necessarily because we are vain and arrogant; rather, our dissatisfaction with present endowments and attainments reflects a realistic humility--we are painfully aware of our shortcomings. The Christians- among us are not rebelling against God nor aspiring to equality with him (if such a thing were conceivable); they seek rather to become his more effective tools, his worthier stewards. Neither do we seek endless change just for the sake of change; we pursue intermediate goals on what we hope will be an ascending road, a road perhaps some day leading to the Celestial City--wherever and whatever that may be.

Does not Christianity need supermen? Can any but a superman be a complete Christian? Can the highest spiritual merit be built on less than an adequate intellectual substrate? We have got to grow, and growth requires more than formulas or incantations; it requires changes in the biological structure, changes which in all probability those of our generation will not experience except after freezing, storage, and revival.

#15 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:45 PM

I laughed when Dr. Hughes said making people smarter would enable them to understand the scriptures better.  Riiiiiiiiiight

Well, it would make it easier for the hardcore religionists to study their scriptures in their original languages. You could master biblical Hebrew, for example, or Qur'anic Arabic if you want to convert to Islam, or Pali and Sanskrit if you want to become a Buddhist.

My point was that intelligence and religiousness are antithetical :). Sorry Elijah, et. al.

Of course, one can indeed be intelligent and religious. I just have an increasingly hard time imagining any person 'at or above' a particular intellectual standard to submit to or espouse the malarkey of organized religion. Of course, intelligence isn't a single-dimension relation struct.

Of course, if you could master biblical Hebrew, perhaps you'd discover and reject the injected Platonic philosophy in the Bible. That'd be neat.

• Lurker

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:28 PM

Can someone post this video on IEET.org and transhumanists.org ? Thanks.

#17 John_Ventureville

• 279 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:43 PM

Quote from "Man into Superman" (shared by Mark Plus):
There are still many who worry about the sin of pride and about the futility of dreams of heaven on earth. But most of us who intend to go forward do not dream of any simplistic heaven on earth; indeed, we explicitly recognize that mere material comfort, even universal peace and good will, constitute only a starting point, not by any means a final goal. We go forward into the unknown because there is nowhere else to go. Is the past so beautiful that we should dust it off and wear it? Is the present so precious that we should preserve it in amber? Shall we walk with downcast eyes in circular ruts? For us this is not possible--and some of us are Christians.

We aspire to be supermen not necessarily because we are vain and arrogant; rather, our dissatisfaction with present endowments and attainments reflects a realistic humility--we are painfully aware of our shortcomings. The Christians- among us are not rebelling against God nor aspiring to equality with him (if such a thing were conceivable); they seek rather to become his more effective tools, his worthier stewards. Neither do we seek endless change just for the sake of change; we pursue intermediate goals on what we hope will be an ascending road, a road perhaps some day leading to the Celestial City--wherever and whatever that may be.

Does not Christianity need supermen? Can any but a superman be a complete Christian? Can the highest spiritual merit be built on less than an adequate intellectual substrate? We have got to grow, and growth requires more than formulas or incantations; it requires changes in the biological structure, changes which in all probability those of our generation will not experience except after freezing, storage, and revival.
(end)

I found this a very interesting quote. But it is mainstream Christian doctrine that our physical shortcomings (growing old, birth defects, memory and intellectual limitations, disease, etc.) is in fact God himself schooling us in adversity so we may strongly develop such qualities as patience, endurance, humility and a host of other spiritual strengths (as they are called). Upon death we will be free of the body and as a disembodied spirit rejoice in being free of our flawed and limited mortal glove. But the greatest rejoicing will come when the spirit is reunited with a perfected and "glorified (this basically means impervious to harm, disease and age- and totally perfect in every way)" resurrected body. The resurrected form is to be somewhat like the embodiment of the Transhumanist ideal of the still human but utterly enhanced current body form.

In the game/novel universe of Warhammer 40,000 there is a benevolent and immortal "God Emperor" who leads humanity and is a genetically engineered superman of amazing physical, mental and psychic development (though not immune to injury or death by violence). He has created from his very DNA a group of "primarchs" or super-enhanced generals who are just a rung or two less than what he is. From the primarch DNA many legions of space marines, genetically engineered shock troops, are created. The creation of these men by humanity was with the goal that a physically and mentally superior man would be an ethically superior man. But old human traits of jealousy and resentment rise to the surface and with goading from demonic aliens a massive civil war breaks out between the supermen of humanity and many billions perish.

I have enjoyed reading a new book series detailing this war and it had me wondering how we could redesign a new and super-enhanced humanity without our "old habits" of greed, mistrust, conflict and war erupting from our "vastly improved" offspring.

What would Kirk say?

John Grigg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users