- - - - -

Silymarin activates SIRT1 3-5 fold in vitro

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#31 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:46 AM

Since SRT501 might in fact be a basically better absorbable version of Knotweed.
Acetylating a RSV chain sounds like a very simple college chem reaction.
Why would Sirtris hire about 29 PhDs if your supposition is near correct?
I don't get it.

Alex

It's easy to acetylate all three OH groups in the molecule. Only acetylating two of them is more difficult. But making it isn't the problem. Proving it does something to the FDA's satisfaction is what those 29 PhDs are going to be doing.

Edited by maxwatt, 23 June 2007 - 10:41 AM.

#32 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 June 2007 - 03:27 PM

Since SRT501 might in fact be a basically better absorbable version of Knotweed.
I don't get it.

Alex

It's easy to acetylate all three OH groups in the molecule. Only acetylating two of them is more difficult. But making it isn't the problem. Proving it does something to the FDA's satisfaction is what those 29 PhDs are going to be doing.

Max,

RSV + Acetic Anhydride + couple drops of H2SO4 -> Acetyl RSV

I still don't get the need for ~ 29 PhDs

Alex

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 proteomist

• 177 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 05:09 PM

I don't think the consensus view anymore is that they are working with acetylated resveratrol. If you look at their patents they are exploring a fairly wide range of core structures, and we know from press releases that the NCEs were selected from testing of several thousand analogs in these structural families. We just don't know the specific structures, unfortunately.

In any case, proving biological activity, safety and efficacy in a relatively short time period requires a lot of scientists.

BTW, you don't need any acid catalyst for that reaction. resveratrol and the anhydride in dry pyridine gives the product in a few minutes in high yield. It's extremely insoluble, however. I have about ten grams of it sitting in my kitchen.

I don't get it.

Alex

Max,

RSV + Acetic Anhydride + couple drops of H2SO4 -> Acetyl RSV

I still don't get the need for ~ 29 PhDs

Alex

#34 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:48 AM

Resveratrol has shown a positive effect on lipid profiles, but not on fasting blood glucose, though it may improve insulin sensitivity.

You might be interested in this:

Eur J Pharmacol. 2007 May 22; [Epub ahead of print]

Resveratrol enhances insulin secretion by blocking K(ATP) and K(V)
channels of beta cells.

Chen WP, Chi TC, Chuang LM, Su MJ.

Institute of Pharmacology, National Taiwan University Medical College,
Taipei, Taiwan.

The present study investigated the effect of resveratrol on the
electrophysiology and insulin secretion of pancreatic beta cells, and
examined resveratrol-induced alterations in insulin levels and plasma
glucose of normal and streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Whole-cell
voltage clamp study in the MIN6 cell, a mouse beta cell line, revealed
that resveratrol significantly inhibited ATP-sensitive K(+) current at
3 mumol/l, and voltage-gated K(+) currents at 30 mumol/l. Ca(2+)-
activated K(+) current was activated by resveratrol at 100 mumol/l. In
MIN6 cells stained with membrane potential dye DiBAC(4)(5),
resveratrol markedly depolarized membrane potential at the
concentrations of 3-100 mumol/l. Insulin secretion was increased in
the presence of resveratrol in MIN6, Hit-T15, and RIN-m5F cells.
Resveratrol (3 mg/kg, i.p.) increased insulin secretion associated
with a lowering in plasma glucose in normal rats, but not in
streptozotocin-diabetic rats within the initial 60 min. In conclusion,
resveratrol can act as an insulin-secretagogue through I(KATP) and
I(KV) inhibition which can contribute to plasma glucose lowering
effect in normal rats.

PMID: 17573071 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Hmmmmm.........

#35 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:29 PM

Back to silymarin,
Why haven't there been studies on yeast studing SIRT1 activation and Life extension via silymarin? This experiment wouldn't be hard to do or expensive, we could do it in our bio lab here at tech as a lab project for undergrads.

#36 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:52 PM

Back to silymarin,
Why haven't there been studies on yeast studing SIRT1 activation and Life extension via silymarin? This experiment wouldn't be hard to do or expensive, we could do it in our bio lab here at tech as a lab project for undergrads.

Go for it. There are only three references to silymarin activating SIRT1 in Pub Med, all papers by Zhou B, Wu LJ, Li LH, Tashiro S, Onodera S, Uchiumi F, Ikejima T. at the China-Japan Research Institute of Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Shenyang Pharmaceutical University. Shenyang. China.

#37 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:53 PM

Back to silymarin,
Why haven't there been studies on yeast studing SIRT1 activation and Life extension via silymarin?

Umm.. I may be a genius, but it looks like the sirt1 activation wasn't known until very recently. Ask yourself this my lad, could 3 months be enough time to test anything with regard to life extension??? The short answer is no. Ok...

This experiment wouldn't be hard to do or expensive, we could do it in our bio lab here at tech as a lab project for undergrads.

Having specimens analyzed round the clock by scientists for many years isn't hard or expensive???

I have to ask what planet you're living on bro...

#38 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:34 PM

Having specimens analyzed round the clock by scientists for many years isn't hard or expensive???

Well fruit flies live no longer than 15 days in the wild and yeast lives less than that (i'm not sure of the life cycle for yeast, but I know it is short). These critters aren't very expensive and the experiment doesn't take particularly long.

Umm.. I may be a genius, but it looks like the sirt1 activation wasn't known until very recently. Ask yourself this my lad, could 3 months be enough time to test anything with regard to life extension??? The short answer is no. Ok...

Hmm I didn't know it was just found in the past 3 months, I figured it was found a bit longer ago than that.

I have to ask what planet you're living on bro...

Let me check... brb.

#39 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:48 PM

Hmm I didn't know it was just found in the past 3 months, I figured it was found a bit longer ago than that.

This should have been your only response besides the excess garbage in which you attached to this.

#40 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 11:40 PM

The rest of the response explained how 3 mo was enough time to check for cr benefits of silymarin.

#41 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:02 AM

FYI, Silumarin and resveratrol have the same effect on p53-deacetylase, which is thought to be part of the life extension mechanism. I wonder if resveratrol, like Silymarin, would be an effective antidote to amanita mushroom (death angel, destroying angel) poisoning.

#42 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 04:18 PM

Sorry to change topic, but earlier in the post I mentioned that sirtris claims blood glucose improvements and insulin improvements via taking their small molecule drugs (and hence we would assume resveratrol and possibly silymarin).
http://www.retailroa...how.asp?c=SIRT2
(It is slide #11, you can skip forward)

#43 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:37 PM

To my knowledge, resveratrol does not reduce fasting blood glucose, but it does improve insulin sensitivity (blood sugar doesn't go to up as much after eating, but base level remains high.) Sulymaring, ont he other hand, does seem to lower fasting glucose.

#44 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:18 AM

All on my hard drive with this too:

Silymarin activates SIRT1 3-5 fold in vitro  Track Topic | Email Topic | Print

luv2increase Posted: Jun :48 | link 

Group: Basic Member

QUOTE (lucid)

This should have been your only response besides the excess garbage in which you attached to this. 

lucid Posted: Jun :18 | link 

lucid Posted: Jun :18 | link 

Sorry to change topic, but earlier in the post I mentioned that sirtris claims blood glucose improvements and insulin improvements via taking their small molecule drugs (and hence we would assume resveratrol and possibly silymarin).
http://www.retailroa...how.asp?c=SIRT2
(It is slide #11, you can skip forward)

Are you ok bud?

#45 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:21 PM

WRT RBC #, ya oughta check a complete blood count with differential and attempt to deduce whether it might be due to A. lack of production (iron, marrow insufficiency?), B. loss (colon neoplasm?, ulcer?, etc.) or C. destruction (usually with hypersplenism or artificial valves or consumptive coaguloapathy, etc.). Not usually just aspirin, which is quite effective in reducing myocardial infarction in those with vascular disease, etc.

#46 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:23 PM

Just Curious, Why did you reprimand Lucid?

Reprimand? LOL! Bixxy, I was simply being a sarcastic ass.

Why do you want to know? Did you disagree with me? Did you read the posts clearly?

I'm out.

#47 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:43 PM

If you've had the slightest of intelligence, you would have gathered the 'fact' that I am totally against resveratrol. There are many posts that expose this. Out of my 531 posts here at Imminst, not one shows me in favor of resveratrol yet quite the contrary.

The huge potential Silymarin competition over Resveratrol getting you down?

Why would it get me down? Are you alright in the head? Are you some sort of 'amateur' conspiracy theorist? lol

You won't ever see me putting resveratrol in my body thank you very much but perhaps silymarin would be a possibility.

#48 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:37 PM

Didn't know you are soooo.. important. :)

What would elude you to saying this? You coming on here starting drama is not a good thing to do here on this forum.

But, down to the issue, I could not figure out why you attacked Lucid.

Because I thought he was in error for his thinking that 3 months would have been sufficient time to plan, organize, obtain funding, and execute of a full experiment notable enough to be peer-reviewed and respected.

I think that I am going to get my hands on some silymarin. I'm sure it would help my liver in my growing ever frequent red wine indulgences.

#49 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:57 PM

what would be a good capped silymarin product? They don't seem like very expensive... I think i'd take about 30-50% of my resveratrol intake (5mg/kg/day -> ~300mg -> ~100mg silymarin). Or is that too low? I am more for lower dose, synergy and long term supplementation then the mood-swing attack dose strategy some seem to follow :)

#50 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:08 PM

what would be a good capped silymarin product? They don't seem like very expensive... I think i'd take about 30-50% of my resveratrol intake (5mg/kg/day -> ~300mg -> ~100mg silymarin). Or is that too low? I am more for lower dose, synergy and long term supplementation then the mood-swing attack dose strategy some seem to follow :)

MILK THISTLE 250MG CAPS (200 Capsules) #004549

http://www.puritan.com

they are selling silymarin so cheap you can take large doses for less money than Resveratrol

Site was voted best by consumerlabs.com so their stuff has been tested and verified by an independent lab

250 Mg X 200 caps X 80% = 200 mg per cap of Silymarin
50 grams of Milk Thistle yielding 40 grams Silymarin
Silymarin costs about $7.15 for 200 caps
Great deal

Alex

color is illuminating [glasses]

#51 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:25 PM

Silymarin is so cheap, if this possesses SIRT 1 qualities plus the known liver detox abilities, it's a bargain.
Resveratrol has some serious competition.

Who knows if SIRT1 qualities are even safe or healthy in the long run in humans. I am against taking anything which could potentially cause harm into my body. Resveratrol fits this criteria. I don't trust it and will never take it until long-term human studies have been completed on it.

Milk Thistle, on the other hand, has been used for thousands of years. Though, resveratrol containing herbs have also been used for a long time, the amount being used through the supplemental route is enormously larger than the herbal.

Reveratrol also may turn on SIRT2 which is not a good thing. Too unsafe for any justification to indulge with.
  • like x 1

#52 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 June 2007 - 01:16 AM

Silymarin is so cheap, if this possesses SIRT 1 qualities plus the known liver detox abilities, it's a bargain.
Resveratrol has some serious competition.

Who knows if SIRT1 qualities are even safe or healthy in the long run in humans. I am against taking anything which could potentially cause harm into my body. Resveratrol fits this criteria. I don't trust it and will never take it until long-term human studies have been completed on it.

Milk Thistle, on the other hand, has been used for thousands of years. Though, resveratrol containing herbs have also been used for a long time, the amount being used through the supplemental route is enormously larger than the herbal.

Reveratrol also may turn on SIRT2 which is not a good thing. Too unsafe for any justification to indulge with.

Aaron,

You might be right, very little is known about large doses of RSV on humans.

Here is a link of Silymarin thread on the Life extension google group

http://groups.google...ion&q=silymarin

There is some interesting stuff there.

Alex

#53 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 01:33 AM

I think we are getting a little too excited here. This is in vitro only. Lots of substances turn on in vitro, but don't pan out in vivo. EGCG, IP6, quercetin to name a few.

Anyone else share my skepticism? That being said I probably will start taking some because of the long track record of safety and the other benefits as well as this

#54 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:39 PM

Dunno. There's a fair number of studies attesting to its upregulation of SIRT1, along with many other beneficial effects.

#55 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 08:17 AM

What is optimal dosing for silymarin? I am currently taking 250x2mg (500mg) of thistle milk (80% silymarin) in the morning. It appears that Silymarin has poor bioavailability and is almost impossible to OD on orally:

The acute toxicity of silymarin and silybin were investigated by oral and intravenous route in various animal species. No mortality or any signs of adverse effects were observed after silymarin at oral doses of 20 g/kg in mice and 1 g/kg in dogs. The 50% lethal dose (LD50) after intravenous infusion values are 400 mg/kg in mice, 385 mg/kg in rats and 140 mg/kg in rabbits and dogs. These data demonstrate that the acute toxicity of silymarin is very low. Similarly, its subacute and chronic toxicity are very low; the compound is also devoid of embryotoxic potential.

Something else which some of you might find interesting:

It has been also reported that silymarin inclusion complex with β-cyclodextrin is much more soluble than silymarin itself. There have also been prepared glycosides of silybin, which show better water solubility and even stronger hepatoprotective effect.

I don't know how one would go about including the β-cyclodextrin (a starch) with silymaring, but maybe someone does.

#56 mirian

• 166 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:09 PM

what would be a good capped silymarin product?

If I were to take Milk thistle´, Jarrow would be best. They are as good as they come for quality:

http://www.iherb.com...=1&pid=127&at=0

#57 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:50 PM

Thanks mirian, i tend to like NOW foods stuff too but i had the jarrows one in mind too.

#58 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:30 PM

What is optimal dosing for silymarin? I am currently taking 250x2mg (500mg) of thistle milk (80% silymarin) in the morning. It appears that Silymarin has poor bioavailability and is almost impossible to OD on orally:

Something else which some of you might find interesting:

I don't know how one would go about including the β-cyclodextrin (a starch) with silymaring, but maybe someone does.

No 0ne knows the optimum dose; from the structural similarity of silybin, the most active component, to butein, a known SIRT1 activator that is half as potent by weight as resveratrol, one might make a stab at a first approximation that silybin is similarly active. I did the math near the beginning of this thread, and concluded that a capsule containing 170 mg of Silymarin is roughly equivalent to 50 mg of resveratrol. Based on self-administration of this compound and of synthetic and 98% resveratrol extracts, I believe this equivalence is reasonably accurate.

The inclusion of cyclodextrin and silymarin would be similar to the method Proteomist and I have described in another thread on resveratrol bioavailability, and in the 500 mg Resveratrol users thread (the thread that never ends.) The difference is the method calls for PEG 3350, which is readily available in any drug store, but this method should work for Cyclodextrine and Silymarin as well.

Let us say one desires to make a 500 mg dose of resveratrol (or silymarin, in this case.) One needs a good grade of extract with very small particl size, almost dusty. Mirronized would be best.

Weigh 600 mg of Miralax, and stir into 1/4 cup (4 oz, or about 120 milliliters) of water.
Stir until thoroughly dissolved.
Add 500 mg of resveratrol (or silymarin)
Stir thoroughly, until the resveratrol is suspended in the water, resulting in a milky-white lliquid.

The mixture will not settle, but remain in suspension indefinitely, except for any larger resveratrol particles that clump together without being bound by the Miralax. One may drink the liquid.

To make a PEG 3350 "inclusion", one would evaporate the liquid; the resulting powder will be a water soluble form of resveratrol.

This method should work with cyclodextrin as well as PGE3350, and with Silymarin in place of resveratrol. However, I've not actually tried it, and there may be some caveats. Silymarin is usually sold as an 80% extract. The other plant substances present may affect the process in some unpredictable way. I've not used cyclodextrin myself, though the description from those who have indicate the method should wrk, if the mixture is stirred vigorously. Cyclodextrin does not work as a detergent (one end charged,, one end neutral, so it can bond to both insoluble substances and to water.) Cyclodextrin molecules form a ring which traps other molecules, and acts as a carrier: it is water soluble, and so carries insoluble molecules along for the ride, so to speak.

I intend to try Miralax and silymarin within the next few days. I'll report back, if someone (Bixbyte? Lucid?) doesn't beat me to it.

#59 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:06 PM

I just tried your suggestion and mixed 750mg of Milk Thistle with peg 3350, and Blah, let me tell you, it tastes Horrible much worse than resv mixed with peg. It mixes in with PEG well, but I recommend you keep that milk thistle in its gel cap! Thanks for your advice about silymarin dosages maxwatt.

I think I'm going to do 500mg of milk thistle in the morning and again at night. I guess that that would come out to about 120 ish mg of resv. I guess if takes 2.15g of Milk Thistle to get .5g equivalent t-resv dosage, milk thistle won't be much cheaper, that said you get additional liver benefits from taking milk thistle but I wonder if 2.15g of milk thistle will put us past the peak of the 'u' shaped benefit curve for liver benefits.

Edited by lucid, 29 June 2007 - 10:21 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:51 AM

I just tried your suggestion and mixed 750mg of Milk Thistle with peg 3350, and Blah, let me tell you, it tastes Horrible much worse than resv mixed with peg. It mixes in with PEG well, but I recommend you keep that milk thistle in its gel cap! Thanks for your advice about silymarin dosages maxwatt.

I think I'm going to do 500mg of milk thistle in the morning and again at night. I guess that that would come out to about 120 ish mg of resv. I guess if takes  2.15g of Milk Thistle to get .5g equivalent t-resv dosage, milk thistle won't be much cheaper, that said you get additional liver benefits from taking milk thistle but I wonder if 2.15g of milk thistle will put us past the peak of the 'u' shaped benefit curve for liver benefits.

Sorry about the flavor. Maybe lecithin would taste better?

Can you reference any studies showing a "U" shaped benefit curve for the liver?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users