Photo
- - - - -

SuperNutrition's Perfect Blend multi

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:23 PM

I had a reddening of the skin after taking two of this multivitamin on a light stomach which lasted a bit over an hour. My face and neck turned noticeably red as in a histamine reaction.

I just red this on SuperNutrition's site:

The Niacin Flush - safe, beneficial & invigorating

SuperNutrition uses niacin preferentially over niacinamide because it is the more active form of Vitamin B3.

Taking niacin may result in a "niacin flush." The niacin flush is beneficial in that it relaxes the smooth muscles in the mid-size arteries causing the blood vessels to relax and dilate. This expands the width of the blood vessels and improves the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to the cells while increasing waste product removal from the cells. Niacinamide does not offer this benefit.

The niacin flush may result in a warm, tingling, reddening of the skin. The niacin flush can last from 15 minutes to 1 hour and may be followed by a slight passing chill. In very rare cases, the niacin flush may result in a rash or other mild side effects which disappear on lowering the dose or discontinuing.

I can see from a marketing perspective why manufacturers are reluctant to use this form of niacin, because most people just wouldn't understand.

Any thoughts on the safety? The dose is 4 capsules daily. Maybe spreading them out would be a good idea.

Stephen

#2 stephen_b

• Topic Starter
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:42 PM

Thanks much for the reply. The dose in a 4 capsule serving is 100 mg niacin, so I think I'm ok -- dread eye disorder doesn't sound like any fun whatsoever. :)

I do wonder how normal my physiology is because I can still feel a bit of a flushing effect 2 hours after dosing 25 mg niacin. I do seem to be sensitive to vasodilators. Could taking a tablespoon of cod liver oil at the same time be impacting this?

Stephen

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 stephen_b

• Topic Starter
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:40 PM

I'm on my second bottle now, and a bottle is a 2 month supply...

Hmm, this study found niacin sensitivity to be inversely correlated with psychosis, so I guess that's a plus. :)

More digging:

However, inositol hexanicotinate, which is more expensive, avoids the flush and does work to lower serum cholesterol levels.

I guess that niacinamide doesn't lower cholesterol levels like niacin does, though I'm avoiding niacinamide in any case.

Stephen

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 05:09 PM

I just took one with every meal and was fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users