- - - - -

Pesticide Exposure

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cornelius

• 4 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:18 AM

Hi Folks-
I've been lurking here for a little while, and while I've been tempted to ask for advice from the forum members before, my situation is more pressing now, and I'd very much appreciate some guidance or suggestions.

I'm in my mid-thirties and I've dealt with migraine headaches since childhood (bad enough to land me in the hospital a few times), and more recently, chronic feelings of disorientation and physical numbness (skin insensitivity). I've had the standard neurological tests, and results have been normal.

Unfortunately, things have suddenly worsened for me. I was recently exposed to some pesticide at my place of work. While I was in another part of the building, my boss saturated part of my work area with a can of Roach & Ant Killer, and failed to warn me. I came back in the room and continued working while it was still wet, and quickly began to feel very dizzy and detached. I saw my boss walk by with the can a few minutes later, and I asked him not to spray it around me. He said he already had, so I went outside to get some air.

Coming back in, I could smell the spray at a distance, though I hadn't noticed it when I was almost on top of it. I looked at the area he sprayed (a kitchenette which is part of my work bench), and the spray had formed a puddle nearly a foot wide. That's a lot of pesticide. I went home, took some vitamins (C and B-Complex), drank a lot of water, and hoped for the best.

Within a couple of days, I developed a splitting headache which lasted three days or so. I took this as a good sign, as I (mistakenly) assumed that the various symptoms had actually been one of my migraines ramping up. I hoped it had all been a coincidence and that the additional symptoms would pass once the migraine had run its course.

Well, it's been over a week now, and there's been no improvement: The headache did run its course, but I still feel very, very detached, depersonalized, and numb (emotionally - I can't feel a thing; and physically - my skin has lost much of its sensitivity). My muscles feel tight and numb at the same time (particularly in my face), and my balance is screwed up.

While some of these have been problems for me in the past, they've worsened substantially with this incident.

I'm wondering if detoxification would even be an option at this stage, eight days later. I fear this may now be a "damage done" sort of situation, and I'm hoping that some forum members might have suggestions along the lines of Brain-CNS repair after a possible chemical injury. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

------

P.S. I'm currently trying the following:

ALC 500 mg (Jarrow Formulas) 1x daily
Max DHA (Jarrow Formulas) 1x daily
Idebenone 45 mg (Kirkman) 1x daily

I've tried them in the past, with no discernible positive or negative effects. Probably can't hurt to try them again, but I'm starting with low doses to make sure. I wish I had started these right away, instead of waiting out the headache like that.

I've also got some Tianeptine/Stablon on order from IAS.

Edited by cornelius, 24 June 2007 - 03:40 PM.

#2 Guest_chucklesmcgee_*

• Lurker

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:36 PM

Much as it's nice to be taking cognitive supplements, you need to be seeking medical attention if you believe you're suffering from a potentially dangerous overexposure to pesticides. While I'm sure dozens of substances have shown promise of reversing neurological damage, it's no substitute for a real medical evaluation.

At the same time, you need to remember the subjective effects of any treatment suggested here. A placebo effect is very possible especially when dealing with a non-material thing, such as a feeling of pain or "detachment".

So firstly, get checked out to make sure you aren't experiencing anything life-threatening or dangerous. Then, if you want, consider whatever supplements people suggest.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 cornelius

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:23 PM

Much as it's nice to be taking cognitive supplements, you need to be seeking medical attention if you believe you're suffering from a potentially dangerous overexposure to pesticides.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I do plan to seek medical attention in the coming week; though as I said, I fear I may have lost my window of opportunity by waiting this long.

So firstly, get checked out to make sure you aren't experiencing anything life-threatening or dangerous. Then, if you want, consider whatever supplements people suggest.

I'm reasonably sure I wasn't exposed long enough for it to be life-threatening, but the changes that have occured in its wake are threatening to the quality of my life. I will get checked out, though. Thanks again.

#4 cornelius

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:32 AM

Back again-
Earlier this week I went back to work to retrieve information from the can of pesticide used. I then talked to Poison Control and it seems that the particular poisons I was exposed to (d-trans Allethrin and Tralomethrin, both pyrethoids) have no antidote. Furthermore, they should be well out of my system by now. As there's been no improvement in the nearly two weeks since my exposure, that can only mean I'm dealing with after-effects. How long this will go on is uncertain.

According to what I've been told, most people recover almost immediately. "Most" is a troubling word in this context: My prior neurological history may make me more susceptible to damage. While pyrethroids are less toxic than some other varieties of pesticide, they're still nerve toxins, and nothing I'd volunteer to inhale for several minutes.

I also consulted with my doctor, and she recommended a neurologist in the area.

Does anyone have any ideas for supplementation? I would greatly appreciate it if you'd chime in. Thanks.

#5 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:37 AM

While pyrethroids are less toxic than some other varieties of pesticide, they're still nerve toxins, and nothing I'd volunteer to inhale for several minutes.

It is interesting that you should mention 'pyrethroids'. My brother and family have been exposed to Dragnet, a pesticide used in homes for their current flea infestation due to the previous renters with 3 dogs. I am going to pay close attention to your posts regarding this. I am very scared for their safety. The dam exterminator actually told them that they could stay indoors while he was spraying!!!!!! I've since read that no one should be in the vicinity until the chemical is dry! This is outrageous, and you guessed it, a possible lawsuit is underway.

Good luck to you. I hope all turns out well.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 cornelius

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:53 AM

I've since read that no one should be in the vicinity until the chemical is dry!  This is outrageous, and you guessed it, a possible lawsuit is underway.

Yeah, if anyone has to use the stuff, I'd recommend clearing the hell out until it dries, definitely. My boss sprayed and walked out, which is probably why he's okay. I just wish he had warned me.

According to what I've read so far, pyrethroids leave no biomarkers, so I couldn't even prove exposure if I wanted to.

Good luck to you.  I hope all turns out well.

Thanks, Aaron. I appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users