Photo
- - - - -

Anything to take to help with Sleep

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ksperfection

• 28 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 02:24 AM

I haven't been sleep well lately. Mostly the problem is falling to sleep, (takes hours). though it has a few times been waking up in the early morning and not falling back to sleep. Of course not falling to sleep until late makes it much less likely that I'd wake up early. Is there anything that I can take long-term to help improve my sleep?

#2 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:08 AM

Posted Image

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:36 AM

Take a look at The MEGA sleep thread

#4 ortcloud

• 329 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:07 AM

Things I use

L-theanine 200mg., you need to be in bed with the lights out as it seems to have a narrow window, if you miss the window, it might keep you up. should kick in 20-30 minutes. Blocks caffeine, so if you are up due to caffeine stimulation this will help.

Magnesium Glycinate -dont recall dose. 1-2 tablets is enough for me. It is Dr.s Best brand- knocks me out hard within 15-20 minutes.

L-Tryptophan 500mg-1,000mg.- dont really like as it gives me crazy dreams, but some people
swear by it so it is worth mentioning. Melatonin gives me a hangover, alot of people cant tolerate it.

I have on occasion combined 400mg. theanine and 1-2 mag glycinate tablets and I never been awake more than 15-20 minutes after that. If this doesnt put you down, I would be shocked.

#5 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:54 AM

I second the melatonin hangover. I sleep real good on the stuff, but it does not feel like very restful sleep. L-Tryptophan feels similar, but much lighter. L-theanine is the best in my opinion, but maybe a bit too weak. Personally, I would first avoid all caffeine and minimize sugar intake. Do that for 3-4 weeks and then see how you feel.

#6 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:13 PM

1. Regular sleep wake pattern
2. Dark, cool, comfortable sleeping quarters
3. Avoid caffeine, other stimulants well before sleep time.
4. Pre-sleep ritual -may include tension-relaxation exercises. I use a meditation soundtrack with binaural embedded delta or theta wave tones.
5. I do take melatonin (large amounts), but never found it either enhanced
or inhibited my sleep.

#7 meatwad

• 196 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:10 AM

I pimp ambien every chance I get. PEA cracked me out and even after quitting for months I would get 2 hours a sleep MAX. One month using ambien and my previous month's self was CLEARLY psychotic.

#8 jagged

• 17 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:08 PM

Does Theanine act a as stimulant (i know it comes from tea)? I know it relaxes you (i've used it), but the one time i took it before bead, i was very relaxed, but almost felt like i had caffiene in me.

#9 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:30 PM

I haven't been sleep well lately. Mostly the problem is falling to sleep, (takes hours). though it has a few times been waking up in the early morning and not falling back to sleep. Of course not falling to sleep until late makes it much less likely that I'd wake up early. Is there anything that I can take long-term to help improve my sleep?

Try some Omega 3
I take one 180 EPA 120 DHA capsule
A cap at bedtime or sometimes when I have trouble sleeping early AM
Seems to help me sleep very well.
You might need distilled or enteric coated Omega if you have trouble digesting.

Alex

Color the world

#10 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:17 PM

Any type of alcoholic beverage...

#11 ortcloud

• 329 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:18 PM

Does Theanine act a as stimulant (i know it comes from tea)? I know it relaxes you (i've used it), but the one time i  took it before bead, i was very relaxed, but almost felt like i had caffiene in me.

Did you use suntheanine ? I did have a problem a couple of years ago when I bought some different theanine brand than I usually do. Anyway, the stuff didnt knock me out like it usually does. I thought it was underdosed from what the label said but after looking into it, I think it was just cheap theanine they used. I seem to only get the effect when I use suntheanine, it is a brand of the theanine material, so you can find it from a bunch of different companies.

#12 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:12 PM

Any type of alcoholic beverage...

i agree, a few drinks should actually improve your health and help you sleep at the same time

#13 diamondhead

• 31 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:15 PM

I heard alcohol isnt good for sleep, it may help you sleep. But, it doesnt produce the restfull sleep you need.

#14 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:09 PM

I heard alcohol isnt good for sleep, it may help you sleep. But, it doesnt produce the restfull sleep you need.

In my experience I agree. I was only saying the above in a half-joking manner. (being that it will darn sure get you to sleep)

If you drink enough that you are passed out instead of sleeping, though, that of course would be very unrestful sleep, but a couple drinks probably wouldn't be so bad. (I wouldn't recommend relying on anything to get you to sleep every night, alcohol or otherwise, though, because you would come to rely on it. Every once in awhile wouldn't be so bad though, probably.)

#15 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:25 PM

I heard alcohol isnt good for sleep, it may help you sleep.

http://www.chemcases...ohol/alc-09.htm

The above can give a basic outline of potential effects, but it really doesn't go into what else occurs when slow-wave sleep is disturbed. Interestingly, ways to increase SWS and GHRH were being investigated at one time to help alcoholics. I don't know if it ever went anywhere, though.

#16 diamondhead

• 31 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:03 AM

I wonder if Alcohol has any effect on Growth Hormone levels, also alcohol can decrease testosterone, is that only true for binge drinking?

#17 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:19 AM

I wonder if Alcohol has any effect on Growth Hormone levels, also alcohol can decrease testosterone, is that only true for binge drinking?

It has an effect on growth hormone release during sleep, anyway. Regarding testosterone, it's a mixed bag. From a hormonal standpoint, binge drinking is ridiculously bad. Long-term low-moderate ethanol intake is a very different bag.

#18 wayside

• 344 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:48 AM

On the rare occasion when I can't fall asleep, I will down a small drink (amaretto over ice, for example). It relaxes me enough that I can fall asleep. I've never noticed any effects the next day.

My wife will take a Sudafed, one of those makes her extremely drowsy and she can easily fall asleep.

#19 jagged

• 17 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:07 PM

Does Theanine act a as stimulant (i know it comes from tea)? I know it relaxes you (i've used it), but the one time i  took it before bead, i was very relaxed, but almost felt like i had caffiene in me.

Did you use suntheanine ? I did have a problem a couple of years ago when I bought some different theanine brand than I usually do. Anyway, the stuff didnt knock me out like it usually does. I thought it was underdosed from what the label said but after looking into it, I think it was just cheap theanine they used. I seem to only get the effect when I use suntheanine, it is a brand of the theanine material, so you can find it from a bunch of different companies.

Yes, only suntheanine brand (LEF). Maybe it was in my head, since i do have sleep issues, i just didn't give it a chance. I was worried that i may have caffeinated myself, so that worrying kept me up as well [8)]

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 dreamaurora

• 8 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:23 PM

Valarian is an excellent natural supplement that can be added to the diet over the course of a few weeks to produce a longer-term cure for mild to moderate insomnia. I have used it before when having trouble falling asleep and it produces a very relaxed feeling. Once you have started having restful sleep you should discontinue or reduce your dosages as I do believe it is mildly addictive (although I can remember ever having a problem stopping.)

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20030415/1755.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users