Photo
- - - - -

Melatonin

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 diamondhead

• 31 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:03 PM

Is it safe to use this every night of the week?

Will this effect quality of sleep at all?

#2 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:41 PM

I've been using it for years and years, nightly. But, I don't think I ever noticed it had any effect upon my sleep.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:36 PM

studies show that melatonin supplementation prevents onset melatonin resistance (which happens as we age). I will dig up the study if someone wants to read it.

#4 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:20 AM

I've been using it for years and years, nightly. But, I don't think I ever noticed it had any effect upon my sleep.

How old are you and what is your reasoning behind this?

Thanks!

#5 meatwad

• 196 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:03 AM

I just found my bottle of "rite aid" brand melatonin. 3MG (mg? isn't that 3000 micrograms?) with 2 mg b-6.

I will be using this with my usual 1/2 tablet ambien (5 mg) and will be reporting back how I felt.

#6 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:12 PM

How old are you and what is your reasoning behind this?

Thanks!

Old!

Anti-aging, immune system enhancement, anti-oxidant, anti-neoplastic, etc.

#7 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:55 PM

Melatonin is great, it only moderately helps my sleep. I can tell a difference but it is mild. All of the other benefits have overwhelmingly convinced me of its value. It's increase in lifespan by itself is enough to convince me to take it. I take 3 mg of immediate release and 3 mg of timed release each night.

http://www.lef.org/m...g95/95dec2d.htm
http://www.mpidr.de/...logic1=&logic2=
http://health.learni...in-research.htm

#8 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:27 PM

...I take 3 mg of immediate release and 3 mg of timed release each night.....

Me too.

#9 diamondhead

• Topic Starter
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:06 PM

Upon waking in the morning after melatonin, I feel like time goes by slower.

Example: After waking for 1st time, I check clock and notice I have 1hr to sleep til alarm clock goes off, That hour feels like it last alot longer than normal. I noticed this more than several times.

#10 capsule_guy

• 26 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:03 PM

There are studies that show Melantonin can raise total estrogen count however.

Not sure to what significant amount. If anyone is interested I will try to find the study.

On another note. I have concocted a melatonin, 5htp, valerian root sleep aid that works wonders. Everyone I know that has tried it swears by it and one guy I know even quit taking his ambien for it

#11 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:46 AM

Valerian by itself is wonderful for about two weeks or so (better for that time than prescriptions in my experience) then your body gets used to it and you have to escalate the dose. I tried it every which way, with 5htp melatonin and anything else I could think of but after two weeks its just a no go at least for me...
see the Mega Sleep Thread:
http://www.imminst.o...20

I suppose such a combination would work more for the long term if you gave your body a break for a day or two each week to allow the receptors and what not to re-sensitize themselves.

#12 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 03:27 AM

Valerian by itself is wonderful for about two weeks or so (better for that time than prescriptions in my experience)  then your body gets used to it and you have to escalate the dose.

I concur. It only worked twice for me, and each time I had some slight convulsions as it wore off. Granted, I was in rough shape at the time, suffering from Cymbalta-induced anxiety and insomnia. (Run away from any doc who ramps you up to 60 mg after only one week at 30 mg.)

#13 biknut

• 1,892 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 01:06 AM

I'm 53 and I've noticed for the last 10 years at least, that I don't sleep as well as I used to. Normally I go to bed between midnight and 2 am, and fall asleep easily enough, but around 4 or 5 am I wake up and can't seem to fall back asleep. I only sleep like a rock all night maybe 1 time every 4 or 5 months.

So I decided to see what melatonin would do. I started taking 3mg a night last week. Since then I've slept like a rock 3 times.

#14 neogenic

• 481 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:08 PM

I'd like to hear more about the estrogen issue mentioned above.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 adamh

• 1,035 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:46 PM

I take 1 mg tablet every night. It helps a little.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users