• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

New Google Tech Talk by James Boyle

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:50 AM

http://video.google....earch&plindex=4

This discussion on informatics as applied to science transcends just biology... but he uses examples in biological research. It's a simple idea... but it blew my mind!

Abstract:

Science Commons was launched to expand the Creative Commons mission into the scientific realm. James Boyle will be talking about two Science Commons projects: The Neurocommons and the Materials Transfer Project. The Materials Transfer Project uses standard machine readable licenses so that one day sharing biological materials between labs might be as easy as buying books from Amazon. If these words weren't forbidden at Google, he'd describe the Neurocommons as a first draft of an open "semantic web" for neurology. The overall goal is to take some of the ingenuity we devote to allowing teenagers to flirt with each other online, or people to share and find mashups, and use it to reduce the transaction costs of science and make it selfishly beneficial for scientists to share more, and more easily.

It's a shame so few Google geeks viewed the talk live... this was really one of the best talks I've seen (I don't know how new this idea of 'science commons' is).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users