Photo
- - - - -

High potency Resveratrol set for Sept. 2007

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 mirian

• 166 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:22 PM

I am hopeful that NOW foods comes out with a great product.

Lets all cross our fingers. NOW will not give any specifics as its too early.

I know they will probably make each Vcap at least 100mg of trans Resveratrol like Country Life.

But, I am hoping NOW jumps ahead of the pack in front of the other large very reputable supplement companies with a 98% knotweed and use at least 250mg or 500mg of trans resveratrol per Vcap.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:21 PM

I'm dying for a reasonably priced 98% resveratrol product from someone I can trust to have good quality control. However, I don't see the advantage of putting 500 mg in one cap. If you want 500 mg (all at once), you can always take five 100 mg caps. What do you do if all you have is a 500 mg cap and you want to split the dose? This is like all those idiotic "Extra Strength" Tylenol formulations that have 500 mg instead of 325. I prefer to take the minimum amount of any medication necessary to get the job done, rather than putting more strain on my xenobiotic metabolism. In the case of resveratrol, I may well want to take 500 mg at one time, but I don't care if I have to take a couple pills to do it. I already take about 30 or 40 pills a day, what's a few more?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:01 PM

Mirian, you can already get 500mg Vcap capsules using 98% powder from RevGenetics.

Anthony

#4 ortcloud

• 329 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:27 AM

Revgenetics, 2,000mg. recommended dose ? I see people taking 100mg-300mg and finding this to be too much, too stimulating and edgy. But that is only some people, others can tolerate 500mg. but 2,000mg ? Yes, I am sure you will quote the animal study, make sure you quote the study showing liver damage at this level also.

#5 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:16 AM

I've taken over 3 grams t-resv./day for a while. Didn't notice anything acutely, but I have eased back to 1 gram/day.

#6 proteomist

• 177 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:33 AM

I've taken five grams a day for a month now. No big deal at all. I don't even notice it.

#7 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:49 AM

Revgenetics, 2,000mg. recommended dose ? I see people taking 100mg-300mg and finding this to be too much, too stimulating and edgy. But that is only some people, others can tolerate 500mg. but 2,000mg ? Yes, I am sure you will quote the animal study, make sure you quote the study showing liver damage at this level also.

I believe the "edgy" effects are only found with 50% extracts, and especially extracts with lots of grape seed extract. I base this on information gleaned in postings on the various resveratrol threads over the past few months, expecially the 500 mg thread. Those
I know using 98%+ resveratrol extracts have reported no great stimulant effects.

I don't know what liver damage study you are referring to; could you post a pub med reference number, or an abstract with the authors' names? The government toxicity study referenced a paper where rats showed kidney lesions on 3000 mg/kg, and some tissue changes at 1000 mg/kg a day. This is equivalent to about 14 grams a day in a human. I know of no one posting here who has taken more than 6 grams a day, and that without ill effect.

#8 ortcloud

• 329 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:09 AM

edgy effects with the 50% only extracts ? that is what revgenetics is using 50% in the product they are recommending 2,000mg., how could someone tolerate it.

I went back and tried to find the study I recall, I think this is it, it mentions liver enzyme elevations at 20mg/kg. The study is more geared towards kidney, but still mentions liver enzymes.

http://toxsci.oxford...t/full/82/2/614

#9 proteomist

• 177 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:20 AM

That paper describes, to quote the abstract: "To evaluate the potential toxicity of resveratrol, rats were administered by gavage 0, 300, 1000, and 3000 mg trans-resveratrol per kilogram body weight per day for 4 weeks. Most of the adverse events occurred in the rats administered 3000 mg per kilogram body weight per day....Under the conditions of this study, the no observed adverse effect level was 300 mg resveratrol per kilogram body weight per day in rats."

For me, this would be a dosage of 30 grams. I'm not worried.

edgy effects with the 50% only extracts ? that is what revgenetics is using 50% in the product they are recommending 2,000mg., how could someone tolerate it.

I went back and tried to find the study I recall, I think this is it, it mentions liver enzyme elevations at 20mg/kg. The study is more geared towards kidney, but still mentions liver enzymes.

http://toxsci.oxford...t/full/82/2/614

#10 proteomist

• 177 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:22 AM

Ortcloud, are you also Mirian?

Edited by proteomist, 30 June 2007 - 07:12 AM.

#11 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:47 AM

I would think not, Mirian's sentence structure is different, tending toward simple declaratives rather than stringing sentences together with commas like I did here.

Mirian's style would be:

Definitely NOT! My sentence structure is DIFFERENT!!!!! I use SIMPLE sentences. Ortcloud strings sentences together with COMMAS!! HE doesn't even use semicolons as an ingredient. Many studies in MEN"S HEALTH have shown semicolons to be SUPERIOR! NOW foods has the best quality semicolons.

#12 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:20 PM

How about less sentence structure and more topical posts? <g>

Jarrow countered with a new RSV product that is in the $50 /bottle range!

http://www.npicenter...=18857&zoneid=9

Looks like the heavyweights are dualing on the RSV bandwagon.

Jarrow Formulas’, Inc. Introduces GPLC™ + Resveratrol
2007-06-26 - Jarrow Formulas'

Los Angeles, CA, June 25, 2007 — Los Angeles-based Jarrow Formulas’ has introduced GPLC™ + Resveratrol, a synergistic formulation of Glycine propionyl-L-carnitine and resveratrols (3,4,5-trihydroxystilbenes) extracted from Polygonum cuspidatum (“tiger cane”) root.

GPLC™ inaugurates the Next Generation of L-carnitine supplementation with the first muscle-specific form of L-carnitine. Its components have been shown to increase muscle glycogen stores, reduce lactic acid build-up, maximize exercise endurance and reduce post-workout recovery time while improving the ability to oxidize fat for energy. GPLC is a novel L-carnitine molecule from Sigma-tau HealthScience and one of that company’s family of L-carnitine products known as AminoCarnitines™.

GPLC ™is a powerful scavenger against superoxide radicals and protects against lipid peroxidation. It supports energy utilization by transport of fatty acids into myocellular mitochondria, as well as removal of waste substances from these organelles. GPLC ™ further supports muscular function by compensating for reduced oxygen availability during exercise.

Polygonum extracts have a history of usage in eastern medicine as a cardiotonic. As an antioxidant, resveratrol may protect cardiovascular function by inhibiting LDL oxidation, upregulating nitric oxide synthesis, and protecting the integrity of capillaries.

“Propionyl-L-carnitine is one of the most thoroughly researched forms of L-carnitine and may influence oxygen utilization, enhance athletic performance and improve health,” says Richard Bloomer, Ph.D, who is currently an Assistant Professor within the Department of Health and Sport Sciences at the University of Memphis and spearheading the clinical work on the new AminoCarnitines™.

“This is an interesting combination of nutrients, which available studies suggest has a more profound effect on cardiovascular health than either GPLC or Resveratrol alone,” says Kevin Connolly, Ph.D, Director of Scientific Affairs and Product Development at Jarrow Formulas.

The suggested retail price (SRP) for Jarrow Formulas’’ GPLC ™ + Resveratrol is $47.95 per bottle of 60 vegetarian capsules.

Jarrow Formulas’ is a nutritional supplement formulator and marketer founded in 1977 and incorporated in 1988. The company markets its products throughout the United States and internationally in more than 20 countries in Europe, Asia, Israel and Latin America. The company offers a complete line of nutritional products that includes vitamins, minerals, specialty antioxidants, probiotics, amino acids, standardized herbal concentrates and enzymes. Jarrow Formulas, Inc. is active in regulatory affairs, helping to maintain Americans’ rights to free access to dietary supplements. Its products are manufactured by Jarrow Industries Incorporated, a pharmaceutical quality facility located in Santa Fe Springs, CA.

For more information, contact Mark Becker, Director, Advertising/Communications toll free at (800) 726-0886 or access the Jarrow Formulas Web site at www.Jarrow.com.

Alex

#13 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:35 PM

Hi bixbite, as soon as I find the label on it, and a website... I'll post it on the price list!

Thanks
Anthony Loera

#14 macanizer

• 53 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:41 PM

I would think not, Mirian's sentence structure is different, tending toward simple declaratives rather than stringing sentences together with commas like I did here.

Mirian's style would be:

Definitely NOT! My sentence structure is DIFFERENT!!!!! I use SIMPLE sentences. Ortcloud strings sentences together with COMMAS!! HE doesn't even use semicolons as an ingredient. Many studies in MEN"S HEALTH have shown semicolons to be SUPERIOR! NOW foods has the best quality semicolons.

ROFLMAO. maxwatt, you owe me a keyboard. I was drinking green tea while reading your post. Luckily, I think my display is going to be ok. Thank you very little.

#15 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:42 PM

pete over at relentless will have 300mg 98% soon... personally, i will wait for him.

#16 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:33 PM

Maxwatt, this is the funniest thing on imminst since hanconn's definition of Christianity!

How about less sentence structure and more topical posts? <g>

Nix, Bix, humor is good!

#17 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:04 PM

Relentless is not on this list of NPA folks, while Jarrow, Life Extension, RevGenetics, Nature's Best, and Now Foods is...

http://www.naturalpr...me=ts_showfloor

Do you know if they will Join the NPA, they have pretty strict guidelines for manufacturers. I think it may be great for them to join to let folks who have never heard from them, that they are good people.

Anthony Loera

#18 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:21 PM

Mirian where did you get this news from? Thanks

#19 ortcloud

• 329 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:51 PM

That paper describes, to quote the abstract: "To evaluate the potential toxicity of resveratrol, rats were administered by gavage 0, 300, 1000, and 3000 mg trans-resveratrol per kilogram body weight per day for 4 weeks. Most of the adverse events occurred in the rats administered 3000 mg per kilogram body weight per day....Under the conditions of this study, the no observed adverse effect level was 300 mg resveratrol per kilogram body weight per day in rats."

For me, this would be a dosage of 30 grams. I'm not worried.

Read further, it states 20mg./kg. showed changes in enzymes. for a 180lb. person, that is 1,636mg.

To date, few studies have evaluated the toxicity of resveratrol in animals. Juan et al. (2002)Go administered 20 mg resveratrol orally per kilogram body weight to rats for 28 days and reported no treatment-related effects except mild changes in serum liver enzymes.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:44 AM

I'm dying for a reasonably priced 98% resveratrol product from someone I can trust to have good quality control.

Here Here!!!

Reputable company verified to have more than umm 5 employees and not operating out of a storage facility in Montana using a website that a 2 year old could design. Of course leading to the ability to bring prices down due to a larger operation and better margins (combined with the effects of a few of these bigger competitors fighting it out with price cuts and pretty soon we will have ourselves a good cheap high quality product). It will happen soon enough (thats one of the positives of the free market economy in action, sometimes it just takes a little while).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users